Diablo® III

Best laptop for Diablo 3 for under $500?

Stay away from the Dell Laptops. Their ventilation sucks and they get super hot. My Asus laptop rocks though. The Republic of Gamers versions have pretty good ventilation as well.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:34 PMPosted by CylentPsycho
This is what separates your average joe, from a moron. How can I pay 350 for a laptop that shreds diablo 3 like butter but you pay 5 grand for something that does half the job? Idiots. i swear.

I hope you are not calling me an idiot. It was 5 grand a few years ago, it was THE BEST GAMING laptop you could buy, at the time, it still plays what i want it to.
Reply Quote
it really is the vidieo card, the most you can afford is the best.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Touche
lol, there is none. xD

Not true. There are MANY.
Reply Quote
Dave: "One benefit to buying a desktop is that you can make a small upgrade later that extends the longevity of the computer itself, whereas you cannot with a laptop."

So definitely false! Almost ANY laptop can be upgraded with video, sound, memory and yes, even some processors and motherboards. Don't discourage the guy with FALSE INFORMATION.
Edited by Thunderchild#1814 on 11/13/2012 12:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
And I love my DELL, High end stuff always gets hot. That is what fans are for.
Reply Quote
Your best bet is to wait till Black Friday/Cyber Monday. And if there is anyway you can afford it I would try to have around $700-900 for it, otherwise you are really shorting yourself.
You're pretty much paying for the video card, that's the key component.

I purchased my ASUS Republic of Gamers Laptop for $900 last year on Black Friday.
Stats:
ASUS G53SX-XT1 Laptop Computer - Intel Core i7-2630QM 2.0GHz, 8GB DDR3, 640GB HDD, BD-ROM Combo, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M, 15.6" Full HD

While I also have a savage desktop, I travel a lot of work and wanted the ability to play any game while on the road with out issues.
Couldn't be happier with the purchase, the laptop is a beast.
Reply Quote
Guys: If you are running your D3 on a laptop and it appears to be lagging or slow, take the cover off and clean the fan and vents. That is usually the biggest reason for failure. OVER HEATING. It's not hard and it will save you $$$ down the road. Also check to see if you can add or upgrade your ram. Here again, memory is fairly inexpensive right now and is easy to do. Check your hard drive(s) to see what speed they are. 7200 rpm laptop drives aren't that expensive and can add years to the life of your system.
Edited by Thunderchild#1814 on 11/13/2012 12:57 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:54 PMPosted by BadtotheBone

I bought my Dell mainly for Word Processing/Accounting, but I got the best graphics card for the XPS 18 at the time, in case I wanted to game with it. When the Graphics Card is working, the laptop gets smoking hot due to poor ventilation. I have a Rosewill fan underneath it, but there is only so much you can do when there is only 1 ventilation spot on the laptop.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Karragos

I bought my Dell mainly for Word Processing/Accounting, but I got the best graphics card for the XPS 18 at the time, in case I wanted to game with it. When the Graphics Card is working, the laptop gets smoking hot due to poor ventilation. I have a Rosewill fan underneath it, but there is only so much you can do when there is only 1 ventilation spot on the laptop.

The Dell XPS M1710 has two heatsinks one for the cpu the other for the vidieo card, and two fans one on each heatsink and both are oppisite ends of computer. big improvement
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:56 AMPosted by Sarion

3000 or 4500 will not be enough to run the game, even on low graphic settings.

Not really true, diablo runs fine with medium settings on my netbook with an ivy bridge i5 and a hd4000.

Agree
I have it running on a hd3500 and it works fine. Everything is on low with a lowered resolution but it plays fine in most areas. The sewers are pretty laggy though.
Reply Quote
I did some research at notebookcheck.com recently and discovered that there are at least two GPUs that stand out for budget gaming: The 7670M (ATI) and the 630M (NVidia). My laptop was $460 and plays D3 great (better than 60fps at times). Here is the specific one I bought, which is no longer available:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215551

It has a relatively weak processor otherwise the frame rate would be even higher. Can't beat it for the price though.
Reply Quote
i play d3 on a cellphone

..i have no punchline
Reply Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually have a desktop that I mainly play on, the laptop is for my son to do homework on and play D3 on. I realize it wont run perfectly smooth at the highest settings like it does on my desktop, but Im working on a budget. I went to Best Buy to get an idea of what I was working with, I found several laptops around or under $500. My question is, what dedicated video is similar to the Intel HD3000 or 4000? I found a few i3 and i5 laptops that have HD3000 and HD 4000 graphics, and a few AMD cpu laptops with onboard Radeon graphics. I have always been partial to intel so Im thinking at this point Id want to stick with an HD 3000 or 4000, or can someone tell me the AMD laptops with Radeon video will be as good or better? I wish I could have written down the model numbers, but the dopes at Best Buy were trying to set a new planogram and kept buzzing around me..
Reply Quote
toshiba satellite works great no probs
Reply Quote
this page should be helpful to you notice where the intel cards are at https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-supported-video-cards
Reply Quote
ipad
Edited by d3forlife#1496 on 11/14/2012 7:15 PM PST
Reply Quote
How would these two work:
DELL Inspiron 15R (i15R-2105sLV) Notebook Intel Core i5 3210M(2.50GHz) 15.6" 8GB DDR3 Memory 1TB HDD 5400rpm DVD±R/RW Intel HD Graphics 4000
Acer Aspire V3-571G-6641 15.6-Inch Laptop

Just want to be able to play the whole game start to finish on inferno (including ubers). Graphics can be turned all the way down I don't care.
Edited by Sygfreed#1841 on 11/15/2012 1:39 PM PST
Reply Quote

Get a desktop, buying a cheap laptop is a total waste of money if you intend to game.

Posts like this annoy me, you see I'm about to do a change of career which is going result in me traveling a TON 6 months out of a year. I cannot lug around a desktop, mointor, keyboard etc during this time. I do however want to game. Example inbetween my trips I will have 1-2 days of waiting for stuff to happen where I'll be in a hotel, or somewhere. I would love to get some solid game play in.

So I have a $1,000 budget to purchase a game laptop to include a quality headset.

I have a powerful desktop computer, however it weighs damn near 80 LBs or more (it's heavy full tower case, 6 HDDs, etc)
Reply Quote
Might possibly be getting a new laptop in December since I don't think my video chipset is upgradeable on my HP G60. My concern is with Windows 8 or 8.1 I don't think new systems are being sold with Windows 7 anymore. As far as I know Diablo 3 won't run on Windows 8 or 8.1 so that could be a problem. As far as Video and sound are concerned I want to also make sure whatever I get is compatible with Diablo 3 at the store.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]