Diablo® III

LOH vs LS

I need a definitive answer if someone could supply it. I have seen in several places some people say LOH is better some say LS is better depending on your DPS. I want to make sure i am making the best decision i can, please help educate me.
Reply Quote
higher mp you need both, i find it difficult to survive with life steal only when i was 5.9 ls, and 100k un buffed dps when doing mp7, so i had to get some loh as well, not much, like 500ish, and i survive fine.
Reply Quote
LpSS RULES SUPREME!

As for what the above poster was talking about, i was able to tank uber bosses at MP7 with nothing else than LpSS.

The best thing to do IMO would be to get as much LpS on your armor gears as possible, get a 50+ LpSS Inna's Radiance and then to get 2 fist weapons and make sure both of them has LpSS and one of them has 3% LS.

With that set-up you'd have more sustain than you'll ever need.

NB: LpSS set-ups only work when you're using FoT: Quickening or have a high spirit-regen build. Obviously, you've gotta be generating enough spirit to spend it all the time into heals.
Edited by FuzzyWuzzy#1793 on 11/13/2012 3:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Funny, I was popping in this forum to ask the same question.

My monk has something like 1700 LoH (no LS). I can play in 4 player MP7 and survive fine. Unfortunately my DPS isn't awesome so killing is tough but I can hang in there with only desecration or multiple arcane beams being a challenge. Usually Serenity keeps me going when damaged. A baba friend I play with does most of the killing until I can get my damage doubled (currently 60k dps.)

Since I need to upgrade weapons I was wondering if I should move from LoH to LS or maybe one on one weapon and one of the other. I will be interested to see what others say.
Reply Quote
^Another strong point of LpSS.

Any DoT type damage (plague, molten, desecrate, Ghom poison) is easily sustained with LpSS, the only real problem is insta gibs (3+ arcane beams hitting at the same time).
Reply Quote
Depends on attack speed and DPS.

at 10k DPS Life Steal isn't going to be very effective.

at 1 APS with a 2 hander life on hit isn't going to be very effective.

In general, monks tend to perform ~6x their paper doll dps using the cyclone build with a decent amount of crit chance. Lets round down to ~5x. Lifesteal is 20% of stated value in inferno, so lets say you get ~1% lifesteal (5% of 6% max).

At 100k dps, 5% lifesteal will get you ~100k * 5 for real dps = 500k dps * 1% = 5k healing per second.

If you have ~2 attacks per second and use thunderclap (1.5 APS modifier + 0.75 proc rate) you get ~3 attacks per second getting 0.75 of your life on hit amount, for roughly 2.25x your LoH total. That means you need ~ 2222 LoH to equal ~ 5% Lifesteal.

Keep in mind that Life on Hit will be a far more consistent healing value that works on things like mobs that are shielding, where as Life Steal will be far more effective when aoeing mobs.

Also:

~ max LoH values:

Amulet: 950
Rings (x2): 450
Weapons: 950 x2 for 1 handers, or ~1900 for 2 handers (same total)

Thats ~ 4k max LoH, hitting 5.2k with life on hit gems.

Lifesteal caps out at 6% hard value.
Reply Quote
my monk is basically configured based on LPSS. i have transcendence (65lpss) and another 63.6 lpss from a fist weapon. That's 128.6 lpss which is enough to heal me. However, to get fast spirit regen, higher atk spd and use of FOT is a must. i also have 1188 life regen and 1271 all resist with mantra of healing - time of need. I only have 2.4 spirit regen on my legendary fist. With high atk spd, spirit regen is more or less being taken care of.

i think for LOH, a player also needs higher atk spd so you can regen life faster too.
Reply Quote
For LPSS:

for Spirit regeneration at 2 APS you get ~ 18 spirit per second from attacks alone (ignoring spirit regenerating gear/passives. To match 5k hps per second you would need 278 Life per Spirit Spent to keep up with 5% life steal at 100k dps.

Max on helm/weapons seems to be ~60 which would leave you at ~180 life per spirit spent. Add in 10 from 4 piece bonus to get to 190, and then 68 from transcendence and your cap is ~ 258 life per spirit spent. If you can get your passive spirit generation in the 10 spirit per second + the 18 from attacks, you could heal ~ 7200 hp per second from spirit. Not too shabby with a nice base of 150 (or 250) spirit banked before you even start the fight.
Reply Quote
Silence, mortals!! >:O

600 LoH
600 res
2.5 LS
2.2 attack speed

Win.

You need both, get dat.
Reply Quote
Depends on attack speed and DPS.

at 10k DPS Life Steal isn't going to be very effective.

at 1 APS with a 2 hander life on hit isn't going to be very effective.

In general, monks tend to perform ~6x their paper doll dps using the cyclone build with a decent amount of crit chance. Lets round down to ~5x. Lifesteal is 20% of stated value in inferno, so lets say you get ~1% lifesteal (5% of 6% max).

At 100k dps, 5% lifesteal will get you ~100k * 5 for real dps = 500k dps * 1% = 5k healing per second.

If you have ~2 attacks per second and use thunderclap (1.5 APS modifier + 0.75 proc rate) you get ~3 attacks per second getting 0.75 of your life on hit amount, for roughly 2.25x your LoH total. That means you need ~ 2222 LoH to equal ~ 5% Lifesteal.

Keep in mind that Life on Hit will be a far more consistent healing value that works on things like mobs that are shielding, where as Life Steal will be far more effective when aoeing mobs.

Also:

~ max LoH values:

Amulet: 950
Rings (x2): 450
Weapons: 950 x2 for 1 handers, or ~1900 for 2 handers (same total)

Thats ~ 4k max LoH, hitting 5.2k with life on hit gems.

Lifesteal caps out at 6% hard value.

you should read my thread about this..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006895894?page=1
Reply Quote
I did use your thread to come up with the 5x number actually. Obviously you can get the 7-8x multiplier with high enough crit chance, but I wanted to be conservative here on purpose.

The true answer is to get both when you can. Life on Hit has some virtues (working on mobs that are shielded, more consistent heals, health link not an issue) and Life Leach has some of its own (works on all forms of dps). Having both helps you deal with all circumstances.
Reply Quote
LpSS RULES SUPREME!

As for what the above poster was talking about, i was able to tank uber bosses at MP7 with nothing else than LpSS.

The best thing to do IMO would be to get as much LpS on your armor gears as possible, get a 50+ LpSS Inna's Radiance and then to get 2 fist weapons and make sure both of them has LpSS and one of them has 3% LS.

With that set-up you'd have more sustain than you'll ever need.

NB: LpSS set-ups only work when you're using FoT: Quickening or have a high spirit-regen build. Obviously, you've gotta be generating enough spirit to spend it all the time into heals.

just wanted to quote this. though i currently have no life/spirit spent, it is one of the most underrated stats in the game.

edit: also, 800-850 res, 6k armor, 250 or so loh, 2.4 ls. as soon as I get a 5% helm and get back to my good shield (when i got my prowlers i dropped a ton of res, current one has more res, less block% vit and dmg) i'll be able to tank about anything in the game indefinitely. though when i say tank i mean at least not be stupid and move out of deso stacks, 4 molten explosions at same time, etc

lastedit: also again, was gonna say vit is overrated. first time i did mp10 ubers a while back i had 22k life and didn't die once
Edited by Lanyx#1996 on 11/14/2012 5:55 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]