Diablo® III

The Wizard Build Compendium

I am using a Blizzard/Meteor Shower build. This build is for people who like kiting.
I can't agree that those kind of builds are outdated.

It works really well in MP6 solo and MP8 group play.
And I melt everything with full MF gear in MP2.

I have 100k buffed. I recently bought Zunni's chest and boots. It will enable me now to move away AR and LifeRegen from my rings and exchange them for crit crit dmg and as.

Due to the lack of APoC on my gear I can't spam meteors but with Astral presence 2 showers and 1 blizzard is possible. Spam them with Magic Missile. Rinse, repeat.

One important part of this build on solo is the enchantress weapon. The spawned demon is great when kiting.

Discuss. Kiting builds are not outdated. And they don't give you finger pain. :-)
Edited by Smartdrive#6979 on 11/17/2012 11:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
Added ChangBooster's arcane kiting build, krali's blizzard xp build, and strifen's cm/meteor shower build. I put krali's in the "specialized" category because I think most people don't rush headlong through low MP's ignoring drops as their main build, but on the other hand, that's sorta similar to what Archon builds do. What do you guys think about what category it should go into?

Also, I swear to god I just read a thread on a LL/CM build I meant to add, but now I can't find it. Any help?

*edit* I would love to be convinced that kiting is not outdated. Care to do some comparative timing research demonstrating that it's competitive with non-kiting builds in terms of xp or loot per hour?
Edited by AS00#1295 on 11/17/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Found it; was Shaggy's CM/LL Shower build. Now added and credited.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 11:22 AMPosted by AS00
*edit* I would love to be convinced that kiting is not outdated. Care to do some comparative timing research demonstrating that it's competitive with non-kiting builds in terms of xp or loot per hour?

I see what I can do. No promises though.
You want me to do this in MP2 with my max MF gear?

Or do you care more about the time I get a key in MP6?

XP for me comes while playing. It is more about the fun than anything else.
Edited by Smartdrive#6979 on 11/17/2012 11:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
I put krali's in the "specialized" category because I think most people don't rush headlong through low MP's ignoring drops as their main build, but on the other hand, that's sorta similar to what Archon builds do. What do you guys think about what category it should go into?

Specialized is where it belongs.
While Devs don't fix the minimap ping, I cannot recommend blizzard rushing for legendary farming. If they do it right, well, it can be put in a section of its own or as some kind of kiting build.
Reply Quote
11/17/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Smartdrive

I see what I can do. No promises though.
You want me to do this in MP2 with my max MF gear?

Or do you care more about the time I get a key in MP6?

XP for me comes while playing. It is more about the fun than anything else.

(So, first off, this is gonna be an argument about why kiting is ineffective, but I wanna point out first that I totally sympathize with the "screw efficiency, kiting is fun" point of view, which is why I frequently run http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#aRSTXi!WUT!cZccaa as my build...but I think build guides should generally be about what works best, rather than the sub-optimal builds we pick because we feel like it, so I'm gonna argue anyway.)

Right now, the problem with kiting isn't that it fails to be the best at everything; no build can achieve that. The problem is that, for any given thing you would want to achieve in the game, there's something that does it better than kiting. Kiting isn't the best at anything.

If you want to farm gold/xp/loot quickly, you'll do it better and faster running Archon on whatever low-ish MP you can manage than you will kiting. If you want to run the highest MP possible for bragging rights or badass drops, you'll do it better with a CM build than you will kiting. If you want to farm hellfire mats, you'll want to do it on high MP, which means CM.

There's one, maybe two exceptions to this that I can think of right now:

1. If you're so poor that you can't handle A3 on MP0 with an Archon build, you're probably better off kiting it than running an earlier act. However, as various people's "budget build" posts have shown recently, the costs of making a good MP1 archon character are so low these days that this is only realistically a possibility for peope who are literally just out of levelling.

2. It's possible (I haven't looked into it very deeply) that if you're farming hellfire mats, it's better to kite on a high MP than Archon on a low MP. I can run Archon comfortably on MP2, and I can kite up to MP6 without dying all over the place. Obviously the MP6 key runs take WAY longer for me than the MP2 runs, but I'm not sure they take three times as long, which would mean I get keys faster kiting than running Archon. Of course, the down side is I get XP and loot more quickly doing the MP2 runs, and the whole point becomes moot once you get rich enough to run CM, or if you don't care about hellfires (because they suck).

So, to answer your question, I don't really care what task you demonstrate kiting to be good at; if you can show that it does anything better, more efficiently, or more cheaply than the "forum-accepted" builds, that'll be evidence that kiting builds aren't completely outdated, as far as I'm concerned. And I hope you do, because I like kiting better than the other playstyles; I've just come to the conclusion that you can't do it without sacrificing efficiency for fun.
Reply Quote
*edit* I would love to be convinced that kiting is not outdated. Care to do some comparative timing research demonstrating that it's competitive with non-kiting builds in terms of xp or loot per hour

I'd say kiting by defenition means you have to run from enemies which means you arent killing fast, and you're backtracking. I dont see how it could possibly compete with CM or archon builds for effeciency. I see it as a way to get things done while you are somehwat undergeared. Or, like you say, just playing for fun. I do throw on random skills at times and play around in mp1 just for fun, So I get it.
Edited by Camisto#1172 on 11/18/2012 1:25 AM PST
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6863566470

Skyquake should get credited with his work.

4 pages in this community helps a lot.
Reply Quote
Just thought I'd drop in and say you're doing some great work AS00. You were exactly the type of person I was looking for when I started my thread last week.

Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it.
Reply Quote
@camisto, Not sure I'm quite as ready as you to categorically write off kiting. You can imagine a fire-and-forget based build, for instance, maybe focused on blizzard, Hydra, storm armor, and using EB as a mine, that kites (i.e., runs constantly) without really requiring any downtime on its damage skills. If you run forward instead of back, doesn't even necessarily need to involve much backtracking, though that brings up its own survivability concerns. This is similar in philosophy to krali's blizzard xp build I just added. Not saying the build I'm proposing would be good, just trying to suggest in an existence-proof kind of way that it may still be possible in principle to kite efficiently. Like I mentioned earlier, given the current state of wizard skills, I don't think you can, but I'm still open to being convinced otuerwise.

@hurt, I wasn't intending to include general advice threads, partly because I don't want to become responsible for adjudicating who gives good advice and who doesn't. Poll to the community, though: do you guys think I should include links to threads like skyquake's?

@Aph, d'awwwwww, thanks.
Reply Quote
@AS00

I think we leave off personal advice threads as this is designed for Wizards that are looking for new builds to try. Though Skyquake is a rather good source regarding Wizards and no offense to him or his advice just I'd rather keep this being a build only thread.

Edit:

I also replied to your question in the Hybrid Archon guide....sorry was off the forums this weekend.
Edited by Schenko7#1939 on 11/19/2012 5:46 AM PST
Reply Quote
Added HuRT's acronym thread.
Reply Quote
View profile
Wow the post got stickied! Congrats, OP.
Reply Quote
@AS00 -

I managed to get my Wiz to iAct IV, but am obviously, (after reading some of your stuff), not doing it as well as I could. Would you mind taking a look at my gear and besides the Gauntlets you mention, give me a little advice on what to get rid of & replace it with ... (my budget will be what ever it needs to be) ... to handle MP5 or so. I intend to emulate your suggested skill set for a Distentigrate/Archon build. Thx

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Ic1HooksTV-1133/hero/12044310
Edited by Ic1HooksTV#1133 on 11/20/2012 7:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 09:39 AMPosted by AS00
Added HuRT's acronym thread.

thanks OP
Reply Quote
View profile
Just thought I'd drop in and say you're doing some great work AS00. You were exactly the type of person I was looking for when I started my thread last week.

Keep up the great work, we all appreciate it.

ditto great prose too AS00.
Reply Quote
View profile
New build: "Buff Wiz" - just shared it online: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7200060288

It's my endgame MP10 build I use for a long time. Could be refreshing for others too.

It's not permafreezing, it's not Meteor shower or Archon.

Gameplay varies a lot, unlike mentioned standard builds.
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 11/21/2012 4:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
@AS00 -

[snippage]

I'd sort of prefer to avoid having this become my personal advice thread, not least because I'm not especially qualified to provide it. A quick look at you makes me think you'd benefit from a black weapon/Tri combo, and a little more of the Zuni set, though, if you want my opinion.

Better yet, how about bumping the "next upgrade" thread (which for some reason has fallen off the front page):

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7109540984

@RobertVarga, posted in your guide thread about where to put your build; will add it soon.

@Aimless, thanks!
Reply Quote
View profile
11/21/2012 08:54 AMPosted by AS00
@RobertVarga, posted in your guide thread about where to put your build; will add it soon.

It's CM based.

EDIT: Video is up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdoPX_5l6J8 Link added to the initial post too.
Edited by RobertVarga#1345 on 11/21/2012 4:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
Nice great job AS00 you are the center of Wizard history!

I actually did have an unofficial guide to SnS back when I was arguing APS priority over CC then CC over CD, but since I didn't actually create the official thread I guess that's mah bad :P

Don't forget to add Shandlar for the new electrify and resident mathematician / theorycrafter and bringing the WW breakpoints to attention !
Edited by MasterJay#1651 on 11/22/2012 2:01 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]