Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.5)

I always played a pet build but because it is based on sacrifice now, I don't use "Zombie Handler" or even "Jungle Fortitude" to keep my pets alive. ^^ Gargantuan is still pretty tough without that and Zombie dogs are sacrificed regulary, if they are close to die or just to speed up Elite Pack fights. Very funny playstyle imho. :)
My current build:
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/witch-doctor#WdZVYT!ZTW!bcbZcc
Farming with MP2 is pretty comfortable, for Über-Bosses I do use another build of course, my current build is pure mass-destruction and not good for single targets.
I found out, that grasp of the dead fits perfectly in a Zombiedog/Sacrifice Build, because the "Death is Life" rune can also spawn new dogs. Same for the "Next of Kin" rune with Sacrifice and same for the "Circle of Life" passive. :) With decent pickup Radius beyond 20 meters (or yards or whatever), you can respawn your dogs pretty often if you manage to kill mobs near you and within Grasp of the Dead. The "Grave Injustice" passive is the key for faster cooldowns of the skills. So if I run out of Dogs eventualy, I usualy have the respawn skill ready, as long as enough mobs are around that reduce the cooldown.

The only thing I still want to find out is, what sort of Zombie Dogs I actualy should use. I have "Leeching Beasts" but they do not seems to leech anything noticable. Maybe I would need "Fierce Loyalty" so that I benefit from their lifeleech. I would trade the leeching Dog rune for one with more dmg but it seems that none of the runes make more dmg for Dogs. My old CC build (good old times) is not longer usable (burning dogs) since CC skills for WD are nerfed to nothing, sadly.
Edited by FusionPower#2473 on 11/9/2012 9:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
The only thing I still want to find out is, what sort of Zombie Dogs I actualy should use. I have "Leeching Beasts" but they do not seems to leech anything noticable. Maybe I would need "Fierce Loyalty" so that I benefit from their lifeleech. I would trade the leeching Dog rune for one with more dmg but it seems that none of the runes make more dmg for Dogs. My old CC build (good old times) is not longer usable (burning dogs) since CC skills for WD are nerfed to nothing, sadly.

Fierce loyalty doesn't make you benefit more from lifeleech. That skill is supposed to give your thorns and life regeneration to your pets. You only leech 5% (10% divided by two) from leeching beast at inferno, with that and their low damage, it won't be noticeable.
Poison dan burning dogs do deal more damage, the fire aura, and the poison DoT they have is added to the original damage they have, not replace it. But it isn't really add a lot.
Reply Quote
Just got an awesome hellfire ring.

29 max damage
198 int
79 all resist
9% life
3% crit
Edited by FallofKings#1473 on 11/11/2012 6:14 PM PST
Reply Quote
Congrats!
Reply Quote
Peter, about the critical damage% effect on pet that are untested. I have heard somebody complain about it in another thread that it doesn't effect pet properly, no matter how much crit damage% he got, the pets crit is still 50%. He said it is a bug

Have you tested it again recently?
Reply Quote
Peter, about the critical damage% effect on pet that are untested. I have heard somebody complain about it in another thread that it doesn't effect pet properly, no matter how much crit damage% he got, the pets crit is still 50%. He said it is a bug

Have you tested it again recently?

Actually yes I have tested it but forgot to update it.

Crit damage indeed does not increase the pet's crit damage.
But, it will increase the pet's overall damage because the pet damage follows your character sheet damage. Since crit damage increases your character sheet damage, your pet damage will also be increased.

Here's the link.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490580362?page=19#362

I don't know whether it is a bug or whether it is intended. There are other stats that do not benefit pets as well, like melee reduction.

So yeah I don't understand the inconsistency. Crit chance benefits pets, but not crit damage. Why do they do it this way?
Edited by Peter#1403 on 11/13/2012 4:48 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 03:06 AMPosted by Peter
Life Link is fixed. My dogs can survive with it now.

Thank you Peter! And thank you for your impressive work which I follow since 1.0.3!
Reply Quote
confused... if pets benefit from your increased crit dmg but not their own, wouldn't that just be fine? if it also benefited from their own, that'd be double dipping.

or am i misunderstanding you
Reply Quote
Actually yes I have tested it but forgot to update it.

Crit damage indeed does not increase the pet's crit damage.
But, it will increase the pet's overall damage because the pet damage follows your character sheet damage. Since crit damage increases your character sheet damage, your pet damage will also be increased.

Here's the link.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6490580362?page=19#362

I don't know whether it is a bug or whether it is intended. There are other stats that do not benefit pets as well, like melee reduction.

So yeah I don't understand the inconsistency. Crit chance benefits pets, but not crit damage. Why do they do it this way?

Thank you peter. Super like always. If the overall damage of the pet is increased, i don't think it's a bug then.

confused... if pets benefit from your increased crit dmg but not their own, wouldn't that just be fine? if it also benefited from their own, that'd be double dipping.

or am i misunderstanding you

Yes, that's ok. But peter is talking about the bizzare inconsistency here. They make crit chance affect pet directly by increasing pet critical chance directly, but crit damage doesn't affect pet directly, only benefit pet by increasing yout sheet dps, which mean more damage for pets.

That's confusing, they could just go with, both stats affecting pets directly, or both stats doesn't.
Reply Quote
Life Link is fixed. My dogs can survive with it now.

Thank you Peter! And thank you for your impressive work which I follow since 1.0.3!

Yeah you're welcome, though I'm slowing down and need everyone's help in updating.

Yes, that's ok. But peter is talking about the bizzare inconsistency here. They make crit chance affect pet directly by increasing pet critical chance directly, but crit damage doesn't affect pet directly, only benefit pet by increasing yout sheet dps, which mean more damage for pets.

That's confusing, they could just go with, both stats affecting pets directly, or both stats doesn't.

Yes, what possible balancing reason could they have for allowing pets to double dip from crit chance, but not crit damage?

It's like they go "Ok I think it is reasonable to let pets have higher crit chance. But not crit damage, because it might get too powerful."

Really? How does letting them benefit directly from crit damage make them too OP?

Even something like melee reduction, I fail to understand how it can be too OP if they just let pets benefit from it. You get so little of that stat from gear anyway.
In the end, armor and resistances are the best bet for damage reduction, but just let pets benefit from melee reduction as an icing on the cake.

The way they exclude certain stats from pets just doesn't make sense. It just keeps people second guessing and not have a peace of mind.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 11/14/2012 1:04 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Peter
The way they exclude certain stats from pets just doesn't make sense. It just keeps people second guessing and not have a peace of mind.

Yeah, that's the whole point. They never gives the details too. Whether it's about proc, or pets, etc.
By the way, you don't think about adding pet proc chance on this thread peter? I think that's still relevant with your thread.
Reply Quote

Yeah, that's the whole point. They never gives the details too. Whether it's about proc, or pets, etc.
By the way, you don't think about adding pet proc chance on this thread peter? I think that's still relevant with your thread.

You mean the 0.05 coefficient number? Or the CC build?

Edit: And I still cannot get over the fact that the pet build has no synergy with any skill or stats. It feels like we are just a dps build that has pets, a bit improvised.

Life Regen doesn't scale that well compared to life on hit when it comes to healing you.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 11/14/2012 6:11 AM PST
Reply Quote
What are you guys doing about reflect damage? I have over 2k regen and some LOH but it's still hurting me at MP6+. I have to really be careful about stepping in and out of fights and managing my health. I can't afford a LS skorn so what's a cheap way to do this? I also tried blood ritual but didn't seem to matter much. Yesterday, my pets killed me when I couldn't disengage fast enough.
Reply Quote
to really be careful about stepping in and out of fights and managing my health. I can't afford a LS skorn so what's a cheap way to do this? I also tried blood ritual but didn't seem to matter much. Yesterday, my pets ki

next patch will remove pet reflect from you... so it's not a big deal... but until then, i just try to disengage more frequently or have a couple of gear swaps ready.
Reply Quote
I will be happy when pets no longer reflect damage to you. Will finally be able to rez people against reflect damage crap if needed.

Agentj73 and I have been playing around with builds and gear recently.
One of the ones I quite like is:
Phantasm
Fire Pit
Groping Eels
Healing Journey
Big Stinker
Burning Dogs

Fierce Loyalty
PtV
Blood Ritual

Also if anyone else from this thread wants to add me in game to talk about builds and stuff or just to farm and whatnot go ahead. Mention something about this thread in the message so I know.
Reply Quote
Finally ... got to P.Lvl 100 (not updated as of this writing). Sadly it is also the time I go into D3 afk mode.

Keep having fun and have a good weekend. :>

And thank you for this wonderful guide Peter and all the regular contributors.
Edited by Melark#6686 on 11/29/2012 12:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
What are you guys doing about reflect damage? I have over 2k regen and some LOH but it's still hurting me at MP6+. I have to really be careful about stepping in and out of fights and managing my health. I can't afford a LS skorn so what's a cheap way to do this? I also tried blood ritual but didn't seem to matter much. Yesterday, my pets killed me when I couldn't disengage fast enough.

I run LOH build using skills with highest proc rate (Acid Rain and Rain of Toads) and reflect stops giving me trouble. I only have around 800 LOH.

11/14/2012 06:06 AMPosted by Peter
You mean the 0.05 coefficient number? Or the CC build?

Yeah, i mean the coefficient number. Because sometimes it's still jinxed out there. The coefficient number is still part of pet anyway :D. I do run proc test with all WD skills and confirmed that the 0.05 on burning dogs is only by their aura, and none by their attacks, while the 0.1 on rabid dogs is only by their attack, and none by their DoT.
Reply Quote
I run LOH build using skills with highest proc rate (Acid Rain and Rain of Toads) and reflect stops giving me trouble. I only have around 800 LOH.

What MP are you running, I have about 400 LOH and 2200 regen but reflect still hurts me.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 11/16/2012 5:43 AM PST
Reply Quote

What MP are you running, I have about 400 LOH and 2200 regen but reflect still hurts me.

No trouble when i run mp 5. regen won't help much against reflect, and not even 800 LOH will be enough unless you use acid rain. And RoT helps a lot too

Check my thread for reference, it's needed when using a LOH build :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7166796695
Reply Quote
Switched my skills, now using ROT and Acid Rain. No problems anymore even with only 400 LOH.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]