Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.5)

Can you link your profile and build?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AStonedGuy-1394/hero/20736181

Note: when i play hard monster levels i swap the ruby out so i can get over 60k hp easy.

Ok, you can solo Diablo alone not your pets right? My pets don't die but it would take forever for them to solo Diablo alone without any help from me.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 11/26/2012 11:44 AM PST
Reply Quote

Ok, you can solo Diablo alone not your pets right? My pets don't die but it would take forever for them to solo Diablo alone without any help from me.

Nope im talking Garg all by himself, did not take that long really, thats 120k+ without crits so really not to bad.
Reply Quote
I will note this is a vary tanky build as in the party most times i'm out tanking any class. though i'm sure people with bigger banks then me could easily up the dps more.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 12:03 PMPosted by Toaster
I will note this is a vary tanky build as in the party most times i'm out tanking any class. though i'm sure people with bigger banks then me could easily up the dps more.

My DPS is double yours but my pets can no way solo Diablo inferno. What's your secret?

What MP level? I usually play MP6.
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 11/26/2012 1:02 PM PST
Reply Quote
I don't think crit affects pets, so iv stacked more attack speed and int, making him hit harder. As for the tanky, that's all down to LR.
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Toaster
I don't think crit affects pets, so iv stacked more attack speed and int, making him hit harder. As for the tanky, that's all down to LR.

But my pets don't die, so they're pretty tanky, I've got a lot of regen as much as I need so they don't die. I tried them with all my attack speed gear on since I used to stack it and it doesn't matter. Your int is a little higher than mine but my armor is higher than yours so I don't get it. At one point I even ran over 3k in thorns and it didn't matter. Is this at MP0?
Edited by LuckyDog#1163 on 11/26/2012 5:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
what do i need in order to keep my pets alive vs. the heavy hitters (that 1-shot my pets despite the shield thing)? just more vit? does %life help pets?
Reply Quote
11/26/2012 10:05 PMPosted by Terihlon
what do i need in order to keep my pets alive vs. the heavy hitters (that 1-shot my pets despite the shield thing)? just more vit? does %life help pets?

Because of the way Force Armor works, Armor and Resistances are your best bet.
Vitality and Life % can help, but it doesn't work as well because if your pets are taking a huge hit, you probably need a massive amount of health to prevent them from dying.
Dodge is unreliable but if it connects, obviously it eliminates all damage.

The crazy amount of defense you need for your pets to survive those heavy hitters is probably not worth it. If you are a mojo user, you have to switch to shield. It's probably enough if your Gargantuan can survive the heavy hitter.
Edited by Peter#1403 on 11/27/2012 10:45 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm curious about LoH returns for Zombie Dogs, and it looks like I've come to the right place. I'm trying to determine which Dog rune to take to maximize the amount of life returned to me. Currently, I have 2689 LoH. Here are a couple questions:

1. Is the life returned by Leeching Beasts based off your paper DPS or weapon damage? For example, if my weapon average damage is 1378, does this mean each dog returns (1378*.09*.5)/2 = 31 per tick? If so, that is pretty pathetic, lol.

2. Proc rate for Rabid Dogs is .1... So for me, each dog would return 269 per tick. To match this, burning dogs would need to average 2 mobs in their aura while in combat. I have no clue how big the burning dogs aura is... would I be better off with burning or rabid?

Thanks very much in advance.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 11/28/2012 10:03 AM PST
Reply Quote
Please correct me if I am wrong:

Leeching beast is exactly like life steal.

Each dog does 9% and is hit by the inferno 1/5th life steal penalty.

Therefore each dog gives you 9%/2 *1/5 = 0.9% life steal per attack (per second?) which adds up to 2.8% life steal for you if all three dogs are attacking.

Dogs only use crit chance and not crit damage, so any time they crit and do double damage the life steal if 0.9% life steal on double damage.

Question: Does Pierce the Veil effect Gargantuan and dog damage?
I want to know specifically:
Gargantuan big stinker rune, is the aura 15%*1.3 damage = 19.5% per tick?
Zombie Dog leeching beast, is each dog doing 9%*1.3 = 11.7% per attack? Therefore making them life steal at 11.7%/2*1/5 = 1.17% per dog per attack, adding up to 3.51% life steal for all three attacking, correct?
Gargantuan restless giant does 200% * 1.3 = 260% weapon damage?

Question 2: Burning dog and big stinker, do these tick once per second or once per ~1/2 second? If they tick more often at ever 1/2 second, does it change the LoH coefficient for burning dogs to 1/2 of 5% or is it 5% LoH every 1/2 second tick?
Edited by MCP#1477 on 11/28/2012 12:49 PM PST
Reply Quote
Guys, your pets are not going to do much damage under any configuration. At MP5, it takes about 15-30 seconds for my 3 dogs, gargantuan and my scoundrel who does 9k dps to take out 1 white mob. That's 1 in the mob and not the entire mob. If anyone thinks their pets can take out an elite mob by themselves please post a video because I would love to see it.

My guys do survive however even in Uber runs. So that should be your aim because they can block quite well.
Reply Quote
I'm curious about LoH returns for Zombie Dogs, and it looks like I've come to the right place. I'm trying to determine which Dog rune to take to maximize the amount of life returned to me. Currently, I have 2689 LoH. Here are a couple questions:

1. Is the life returned by Leeching Beasts based off your paper DPS or weapon damage? For example, if my weapon average damage is 1378, does this mean each dog returns (1378*.09*.5)/2 = 31 per tick? If so, that is pretty pathetic, lol.

2. Proc rate for Rabid Dogs is .1... So for me, each dog would return 269 per tick. To match this, burning dogs would need to average 2 mobs in their aura while in combat. I have no clue how big the burning dogs aura is... would I be better off with burning or rabid?

Thanks very much in advance.

1. First thing first. Dogs damage is based on your paper DPS, which is mentioned by peter in his first post. And the return are actually quite high. They atk for 9% of your dps, and lifesteal for 10% of that damage, 5% for you and 5% for themselves.

2. You can refer to my test in my thread
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7166796695
Peter didn't write it down, but the rabid dog 0.1 coefficient happens only on their hit, not by their poison DoT. While the burning dog aura 0.05 coefficient is by their aura only and not by their hit. The aura ticks faster than their hit. Overall, if you want better proc rate, you're way better off using Burning Dogs. The only thing Rabid dogs does better than burning dogs is at dealing DAMAGE to single target, but not with a Higher Proc overall.

11/28/2012 12:42 PMPosted by MCP
Does Pierce the Veil effect Gargantuan and dog damage?

Yes it is, because it increase your paper DPS, which pet damage is based on

Therefore each dog gives you 9%/2 *1/5 = 0.9% life steal per attack (per second?) which adds up to 2.8% life steal for you if all three dogs are attacking.

No, before it's hit by inferno 1/5 penalty, their original lifesteal is 50%, which half of it is for you, and half is for them, so it should be 9%/4*1/5 = 0.45% for you and another 0.45% is for them

Burning dog and big stinker, do these tick once per second or once per ~1/2 second? If they tick more often at ever 1/2 second, does it change the LoH coefficient for burning dogs to 1/2 of 5% or is it 5% LoH every 1/2 second tick?

The big stinker rune clearly state 15% damage per second. I don't know if it ticks every second or 1/2 second, but it's 15% per second either way. The 5% LOH Coefficient of the burning dog is per tick. I'm not too clear about how fast they tick however, but i think it's around 1/2 second
Reply Quote

No, before it's hit by inferno 1/5 penalty, their original lifesteal is 50%, which half of it is for you, and half is for them, so it should be 9%/4*1/5 = 0.45% for you and another 0.45% is for them

Thanks for your response... So if your DPS is 150k, each dog (with Leeching Beast rune) will return to you 675 life per second (150k * .0045)? If yes, then I should definitely be using that rune for life returns rather than trying to proc LoH.
Reply Quote
Thanks, I re-read the leaching beasts and noted it's 50% of their damage split between you and the dogs. Sorry for not reading the !@#$ing manual.

Thanks for letting me know about Burning dogs tick being faster than once per second. It's obviously better for life return, bleed, and chance to freeze.
Reply Quote
From my personal experience, pets are not for dps (even for garg) at higher mps (7 -10). They are there only for distraction.
Reply Quote
11/29/2012 12:29 PMPosted by Melark
From my personal experience, pets are not for dps (even for garg) at higher mps (7 -10). They are there only for distraction.

Yes it's true, though it wouldn't hurt to somehow squeeze out as much dps from them as possible.

As first I thought someone discovered a secret way to massively boost pet dps, almost like how people discovered the power of the CC build pre-1.0.4.
Reply Quote

Thanks for your response... So if your DPS is 150k, each dog (with Leeching Beast rune) will return to you 675 life per second (150k * .0045)? If yes, then I should definitely be using that rune for life returns rather than trying to proc LoH.

The health return of the leeching beast is better generally, unless you have a very high LOH with mediocre dps. And their survivability is better too, because they get healed for it too.

So, what's so good about burning dogs?
First, they take aggro off your back better, because of the aura damage, most monsters will attack them first, unlike leeching beasts that only attack 1 monster.
Second, the proc rate maybe low, but if u have some CC effect or bleed beside LOH, it will still be beneficial for you. Like Skorn for example
Reply Quote
Just wanted to post to add a thing to the bug section:

1) Dogs spawned from anything that isn't the spell won't have the force armor if you don't have the spell (only count on procs to spawn dogs)

2) Life link rune is bugged and disables the force armor no matter what you used to spawn the dogs.
Reply Quote

1) Dogs spawned from anything that isn't the spell won't have the force armor if you don't have the spell (only count on procs to spawn dogs)

2) Life link rune is bugged and disables the force armor no matter what you used to spawn the dogs.

That bug has been fixed. Peter used to have it written there in the bug section, but it has been removed after it's been fixed.
Edited by PlonX#6752 on 12/2/2012 9:04 AM PST
Reply Quote

That bug has been fixed. Peter used to have it written there in the bug section, but it has been removed after it's been fixed.

Yes all of those missing Force Armor bugs *should* be fixed, because I tried Life Link dogs and they survive.

I say *should*, because who knows, maybe one bug crept out again.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]