Diablo® III

Pet Guide (Patch 1.0.5)

I was just going to point out that the dog poison spell has some nice synergy with Bad Medicine. To me, that's the only reason to use it instead of the burning or leeching dogs.
Reply Quote
Oh ok, nice to know those have been fixed!

I didn't know about the thorns ==> leaching beasts though, since I use a lot of thorns it's really nice.
Reply Quote
[quote]

Yes all of those missing Force Armor bugs *should* be fixed, because I tried Life Link dogs and they survive.

I say *should*, because who knows, maybe one bug crept out again.

don't dogs still get 1-shot by heavy hitters? that falls under the category of force armor bugs, right?
Reply Quote
Dogs do die to big 1-shot attacks, such as the Dark Berserkers common in act 1.

I tried in MP8 recently, and I found an elite pack of Dark Berserkers near a waypoint. So I went back to town and changed up my skills. My profile doesn't reflect the gear I had on at the time. I had a ring which added 10k life instead of the SoJ, for starters.

With Jungle Fort, Bad Medicine, and Zombie Handler, I summoned 4 zombie dogs, a garg, and went back down there. I used big stinker, acid rain, and RoT, so they were always under BM.

The first time I heard the big wind up sound, I hit horrify armor rune.

Still one by one, my dogs get popped.

Two possiblities:
1. Make force armor literally cap total damage taken to 10k * damage reduction, not just subtract 10k damage and leave the rest. (See Peter's post for test/explanation of how force armor works)
2. Give us a 'heel' command for our pets, and other commands. When we see a mallet lord wind up, I can recall my pets to a safe spot and then 'sick' them back on the mallet lord or 'free' them to attack whatever enemies are closest.

edit:
If I understand the example in the first post for force armor, if I multiple the example damage by 10, from 110,000 to 1,100,000, then the damage my dog receives will one shot it.
For my stats: 70% armor and 70% physical (approximations)
1,000,000 * .3 (armor w/ horrify) * .3 (resists) * .85 (JF) * .8 (BM) = 61,200 (Or I've taken 6.12% of the total damage)
61,200 - 10000 force armor = 51200
51200 - 10000 = 41200 remaining
10000 * .3*.3 = 900 damage cap reduction
900 + 41200 = 42,100 total damage taken.

My dogs have (10k + 35% * 50k HP (approximation))*1.2 = 33,000.
One shot by the big hitter. In order for it to survive, I'd have to have something like 4% damage taken to (barely) survive the big hit.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 12/4/2012 12:55 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've been trying to make the tankiest wd I can since 1.0.4, but I don't think I really want to try higher mp because I sacrificed a lot of dps. I can pretty much stand in anything (tried mp3 earlier but things took a while to die)
Reply Quote
@itgscv:
I know you'll be sacrificing a lot, but you can do higher MP if you replace either your shield with a mojo or get a 2-handed weapon. I guess you'll get LoH on the 2H. If you get a mojo, you can get str, life% and vit on it too, so you won't lose all of your benefits from the shield. But the main points of the mojo are of course high average damage, mana regen, and crit chance (and possibly reduces cost of zombie charger)

You're already the hardest tank I've seen in a while, but that shield may be holding you back.

You could also consider horrify armor rune in this case for tough situations against elites with your reduced HP, AR, and armor.
Edited by MCP#1477 on 12/5/2012 9:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
For WD being about 25K DPS and tanky doesn't make sense. My pets always survive past the cooldowns in MP5+ with the boost from Soul Harvest / Vengeful Spirit and Gruesome Feast.

Basic setup is to use Spirit Walk/Honored Guest into a pack for mana boost, SH/VS and then spam bears for a few attacks and scoop up the health potions.

Thing of the Deep is mandatory. (profile doesn't have it up)

3% Lifesteal more effective than LoH using bears

Manajuma's knives with Open Sockets and good TotD are soooooo cheap right now too.

For Elites just pop BBV/Rain Dance and kill in about 5-10 seconds by spamming bears from the mana boost. Usually they're dead before CC effects go off. Your ability to quickly kill elites/KW should be determining which MP level is best.

I'm around 128K Unbuffed per Diabloprogress/D3up. Profile DPS is wrong BTW
Edited by Frigg#1154 on 12/5/2012 11:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
Do the pets increase their damage when you have soul harvest and gf on automatically or do you have to recast them and then their damage stays boosted?
Reply Quote
12/05/2012 12:49 PMPosted by VoBomaye
Do the pets increase their damage when you have soul harvest and gf on automatically or do you have to recast them and then their damage stays boosted?

I assume they do higher damage automatically, and you don't have to recast them.
Reply Quote
Sorry that i did not get back to you sooner Lucky but i have been busy. anyways iv changed a few things up both skill and gear wise and my Garg is now hitting 210k no crit 305k with(when he uses cleave aka 2 out of 3 times if i was to guess). This just goes to show that crit damage does not change pet damage. anyways my dogs are even doing around 10k now (or something. i have not really checked i can if you like) so my pet doc as become quite the tank while still holding up the dps.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AStonedGuy-1394/hero/20736181
(note if the gear seems low its my gold farming gear at that time.)
Edited by AStonedGuy#1394 on 12/6/2012 12:38 PM PST
Reply Quote
oh and to answere the question about soul harvest they get the boost right away. soul harvest just ups your int, which ups you and your pets dps. your pets get dps from int, your wep, attack speed, off hand/ring/other damage boost, and crit chance(imo my pets crit more the highter crit chance i get). hope this helped! if not or if you need to know more ask away.
Edited by AStonedGuy#1394 on 12/6/2012 12:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
I've been doing mp3 and 4 with mf gear on. Using dot talents to gain mana and kill damage reflects while stacking life regen works fine.

Only really run into issues in the last area before diablo.

And thats with crappy gear.
Reply Quote
Hey folks, how high in MP can you get with a pet build?

You think it's possible to reach MP9?
Reply Quote

i'm doing alright in MP6 i think with the right gear pet doc could go all the way and beat mp10 but only time will tell.
Reply Quote

You can do MP10 but it would take all day to kill anything if you are below 170k DPS. Surviving is not the hard part, its the killing.
Reply Quote

i'm doing alright in MP6 i think with the right gear pet doc could go all the way and beat mp10 but only time will tell.

So you can only do MP6 "alright" but your pets can solo Diablo inferno MP6??????
Reply Quote

Did some testing and took my pet doc for an MP9 spin last night. Did act3 5 stack+key warden. I usually run a Fetish build and replaced those powers with Blood Ritual and Horrify (only build changes).

Stats:
AR: 670
Armor: 4000
HP: 50k

The result - I was surprised, pets did quite well, I think I died more than they did. It definitely took a while with ~75k DPS, around 30-40 minutes with two reflect mobs. I brought a life leeching spear and a shield and really only needed them for reflect. The pets didn't need the shield with Horrify and Healing Journey.

My build is far from optimal, I have no life regen outside BR and my WD runs around with a Nailbiter...
Reply Quote
Nice to know that pets can survive MP9. But 30-40 minutes to kill 2 mobs? Goodness.
Reply Quote
12/09/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Peter
Nice to know that pets can survive MP9. But 30-40 minutes to kill 2 mobs? Goodness.

he's stacking thorns
Reply Quote
I tanked two champ packs plus act 2 keywarden on mp7 earlier so I can probably go higher easily. Main problem is dps
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]