Diablo® III

100-150k DPS DW Monk discussion thread

Thought it would be interesting to start a discussion thread for those of us that are doing well, but a cut below the guys who are looking for true end-game gear. Wanted to toss around ideas for making upgrades, because mistakes can be very costly when we're thinking about having to reach into the multi-100m gear.

I'll start by saying the internal debates I'm having for my next upgrade:
1) Better Inna's Vast Expanse, in particular more Vit so I can drop it from my Ammy. Quick shopping on the GAH seems to indicate this will cost me ~60m for a 100 vit upgrade, ~300m for a 200 vit upgrade.
2) Gloves with Vit and/or Res - if I'm not looking for similar offensive stats this seems to run in the 30-50m range.
3) Upgrade Natalya's Reflection - in particular try to get Crit Chance on it. This seems like it will cost at least 100m.

What would you go for? Or would you change something else? (FYI I don't particular care to replace the Andy's at the moment, I actually don't find the extra fire damage that bad except against Fire Constructs in VotA and I almost never farm there)

Please post comments, along with your own situation and upgrade ideas so we can discuss.
Reply Quote
my profile is displaying my TR build right now, but in DW mode i have about 117 unbuff.

what im currently doing is attempting to move off OwE. my all - poison ratio is at 400 - 500 ish right now, so its on track.

2.7 LS on one hand and 900 LoH on ammy appears to be enough to tank a RD pack right now, so that was 10m well spent (on the ammy).

my next upgrades are cc reflection and nicely rolled footprints. thats a lot of farming cut out for me, and hence the TR build.
Reply Quote
@HuntingFox
Yeah, I've started playing around with a TR build and also with Morionic's DS / CS build. I find the latter more fun but definitely requires a lot more concentration.

I don't think I'm going to go off of OWE unless forced to - I have too much invested into solid dual res gear (Vile Ward / Footprints / Bracers) but it would be nice to free up the passive slot, I don't know if I can even afford to do MP0 without OWE haha

Are you able to tank RD mobs with any other passive damage (Electrified / Firechains?) That's what gives me the most trouble, hence I always go dual LS.

All in all I think we are in the same boat saving up to eventually get a nice CC reflection :)
Reply Quote
sorak - I agree that your gloves and nat ring need upgrades sooner than the rest of your gear. I follow the school of thought of higher cc/ias but no cd on gloves. The nat ring could have higher / more stats on it for not that more expensive.

my situation...
Looking to get inna's pants with 60+ all resist and 9% ias.
Higher dps amulet.
Edited by BorrowedTime#1204 on 11/9/2012 10:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have 2.5 LS and 1000 LOH but MP10 RD still kill me
Reply Quote
@ Sorak - I'd lean more towards upgrading the Inna's chest to free up the tradeoff restriction of health as you make upgrades.

I'm at the point where I'm debating which route to go for as far as sets are concerned.

Possible combos:

1. Inna's Pants (160 Vit)/Helm (75RA/PR), Blackthorne's Chest/Belt
2. Inna's Pants (160 Vit)/Chest (250 Vit), Mempo (6 CC), Witching Hour (70 RA)
3. Inna's Pants (160 Vit)/Belt (75 RA), Mempo (6CC), Blackthornes' Chest

The obvious answer is to first upgrade my Inna's Pants, which will cost at buyout 150mil for a 9% ias/160vit pair. With the additional health, I can get a new belt and not fret about dropping health from the piece (should I go Inna's Belt or Witching Hour). After that I need to debate on how far glass cannon I want to go versus balanced dps/ehp.

I'm also aware that I could probably drop OWE at this point based on how I've focused heavily on RA on my non-set pieces and the fact that I'm PR, but haven't gotten around to pulling the trigger on that as of yet.
Reply Quote
View profile
11/09/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Qside

Otis your setup is alright you just need more than 28K Life. From my exp your LS/LOH is ok but you need about 50K Life and I see 350+ LR plus your AR and 5000+ Armor you should be able to squeezy through an MP10 run.
Reply Quote
Hey fellas,
Let me know what you think.
Here are my thoughts:
Overall: I need more res, life, and DPS.
Need new Ammy with some resistance, High Dex, Crit Chance, Crit Dam, and Vit (that should be cheap...)
Witching hour would be nice
Upgrade equip I have to be BiS (again, should be cheap...)
Need to eventually switch to being DW...although I do like my Skorn.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 10:45 AMPosted by Qside

letting SW die off works so far for me. really RD doesnt scale with MP, its just u punching yourself (literally) and SW doesnt proc LoH.
Reply Quote
Im looking for a few upgrades, but not really sure on which way to go to get them. Ultimately, I would like to get the following, but each has its own problems:

Withching hour, but I will lose a good amount of vit and resists
Nat's boots and ring...again, probably lose vit and resists
I know my gloves could stand a significant upgrade though.

Should I look to get vit on my pants possibly to make up a little bit for the loss of vit in other areas? Any other suggestions to the above ideas, or other ideas completely?

I've got about 200 mil right now, and I crunch everything through dps calculators...I just wanna try to get the best bang for the buck if I can
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 09:22 PMPosted by HuntingFox

letting SW die off works so far for me. really RD doesnt scale with MP, its just u punching yourself (literally) and SW doesnt proc LoH.

that's like one of the worst ideas i've heard. sw procs ls which will keep you alive.
Reply Quote
I'm 132k completely unbuffed without nats set. The thing is, I've input the nats set into dps calculators, and because my current rings are so good, I lose a huge amount of dps, around 3-4k.

So, in order for me to even consider the nats set right now, the ring would have to roll 40 avg dmg and have AS and crit dmg.

Currently, my dps and defense are very balanced, and to be honest, I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe:

-Mempo of Twilight and switch to Inna chest for 2 piece bonus.
-Upgrade ammy to trifecta, but lose the tanky stats on it.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Gosu
that's like one of the worst ideas i've heard. sw procs ls which will keep you alive.

that depends on how much LS u have. i have 1k LoH and 2.7 LS, which is closer to what OP has. if my SW keeps going inside an elite pack, it will kill me.

u have 5.8 LS, so its different for u.

maybe ur LS returns more life than your SW is getting RD back, then good for u. for me its not.

but since u called it one of the worst ideas, why dont we hear yours? i suppose u would begin with "get more LS".

thanks professor.
Edited by HuntingFox#6284 on 11/10/2012 9:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
Just one advice guys we Monks have free healing skill , i see not many Monks use it and right now is really cheap on AH so consider before you upgrade hope might help you ,as example will give you one of my gear builds will go by stats.

150K paper dps
5.3 Armor
600 resistance (OWE)
40k HP
2.0ApS
and here whats keeps me alive ( will do some math) :)

5.6 LS= 1800 life back ( roughly )
500 LOh
110 Life per spirit spend ( with transcendence) the radiance spirit stone with LpSS is really cheap and with good stats

So 110 LpSS( life per spirit spend) letting me spamming my mantra gives me 5100 Life + breath of Haven 7000K+ 2100LpSS = 14000 ( roughly) life back. just from most skill that i use and free .so consider this as well when you upgrade things. If you add some 50 LpSS on you gear Monk's life can be much better .

Sharing this cos i have learned this the hard way(Spending a lot of gold for nothing)
Edited by CharlesDur#1834 on 11/10/2012 10:39 PM PST
Reply Quote
^Lpss is ok but you have to be lucky to get it at useful (50+ level) and not sacrifice other stats.

Finding out what to upgrade is easy (I look on diabloprogress).

Biggest challenge for me is that it takes SOOO much time to get money for an upgrade.

Good lifesteal WKL/EF and Witching Hours cost and arm and a leg.

The gloves I want don't seem to exist :) (Dex 150+, Arcane 50+, AR 60+, Attack speed 9+, Crit 9+, Crit Damage)
Reply Quote
11/10/2012 09:44 PMPosted by HuntingFox

that depends on how much LS u have. i have 1k LoH and 2.7 LS, which is closer to what OP has. if my SW keeps going inside an elite pack, it will kill me.

u have 5.8 LS, so its different for u.

maybe ur LS returns more life than your SW is getting RD back, then good for u. for me its not.

but since u called it one of the worst ideas, why dont we hear yours? i suppose u would begin with "get more LS".

thanks professor.

yea, my solution is get more ls. i lost around 20k dps to get an extra 2.8 ls but hey, i don't need to do what you suggested and turn off sw which is the majority of any monk's dps.
sorry, if it came out a bit harsh.
Reply Quote
since this is 100k-150k dps monks..... do i not count? :(
Reply Quote
yea, my solution is get more ls. i lost around 20k dps to get an extra 2.8 ls but hey, i don't need to do what you suggested and turn off sw which is the majority of any monk's dps.
sorry, if it came out a bit harsh.

its not a cheap solution. the irony here is that unless u have the capital to begin with, your DPS will fall so low that LoH u had to begin with was enough.

so we have to maintain dps or at least try not to fall a ridiculous amount just to get the LS that would have saved us from the original DPS in the first place.

TL;DR - need more gold to carry out your solution. i'd love to get there quickly, hence the skorn and tempest rush build. nothing but junk legends lately, though.

in the meantime, losing the SW just to deal with ONE affix while continuing to steamroll anything and everything else seems alright to me.
Reply Quote
Can we include non DW? *Coughs*

Well, I guess my problem at this stage is to gather sufficient funds to move away from my life-steal Skorn.

It is not a serious attempt though, since my current set up allows me to farm MP5/6 comfortably at 34K HP / 755 all-resists / 5K armor. And trying to get a replacement one handed weapons will probably be unrealistic given the cost.

In the meantime, I might want to get a better Tal'Rasha chest piece with more than 250 vitality.
Edited by Cyrus#6254 on 11/11/2012 3:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
I need more Life steal for my monk I'm at 162k unbuffed I'm saving for a Good EF with leech 1200 dps but that gonna cost and arm and a leg :(
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]