Diablo® III

100-150k DPS DW Monk discussion thread

@Sorak -- I just dropped 100mil on a 155dex/250vit Inna's Vast Expanse this morning. Crunched the numbers and decided to go with 10% Life rather than dropping another 50mil for 2% more. This was at buyout, so they mostly can be obtained at around 70-80mil if you want to play the bidding game.

That aside, my profile hasn't updated, but with the increase to vitality from upgrading my Inna's chest (250 vit)/pants (160 vit) I can replace my belt and other items and worry less about getting health on them. Farming on MP8, I can stand on a desecrate and sustain through without problems, it only starts to really hurt around a stack of 3 of them.

I'm thinking my next upgrade will be my belt into an RA witching hour for approximately an 8k paperdoll dps increase. After that I'm thinking either shoulders or helm.
Edited by Anxiyz#1914 on 11/12/2012 9:10 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Anxiyz - nice. If you want to sell your older Vast Expanse on your profile I'm interested for the right price.

I think your RA Witching Hour upgrade would be a huge boost as you say. Might have to save up for a while though to not lose a ton of Res :)

Also you may want to consider a Vile Ward, they are pretty cheap these days and your shoulders look like an upgradeable slot.
Reply Quote
I would Love any constructive advice on how to improve my monks survivability as well as DPS. I do not want to be a glass cannon, but i would like to maintain and improve my dps as well as my EHP. Any suggestions? I've thought about changing my pants to blackthornes in order to pick up some LOH and make a higher DPS weapon with CD and an open socket more affordable, just at a loss right now as to what to do.

Side note, MP5-6 isn't a problem to farm as long as i pay attention when fighting elites, I farm Ubers on 7 with my friends. I'd just prefer to get to a point where i just stand there and face tank them though :)

Thanks,
Reply Quote
I would Love any constructive advice on how to improve my monks survivability as well as DPS. I do not want to be a glass cannon, but i would like to maintain and improve my dps as well as my EHP. Any suggestions? I've thought about changing my pants to blackthornes in order to pick up some LOH and make a higher DPS weapon with CD and an open socket more affordable, just at a loss right now as to what to do.

Side note, MP5-6 isn't a problem to farm as long as i pay attention when fighting elites, I farm Ubers on 7 with my friends. I'd just prefer to get to a point where i just stand there and face tank them though :)

Thanks,

Just a quick thought. I think a well-rolled Vile Ward could do you wonders at this point for the purposes of incremental improvement to your EHP. Ideally, you'd have a combination of dex, vit, primary resist, all resist (total of >100 in resists) and +armor (this piece can probably give you another 300 armor alone). Anything else is gravy. With that said, I can see the value in you keeping the cheap monk's VW in what you have now with the decent dex, high vit roll. That could help deal with the witching hour belt, which has a pretty poor roll resistance-wise, IMO but good with anything else. It may free you up to find ammy that is more offensively oriented without needing to worry excessively in maintaining EHP from that position (Maybe with the exception of +armor). Again, this is just off the top of my head.
Reply Quote
View profile
@Snyper

That is the route I took. I was doing MP 5-6 fairly easy but when I got to MP7-9 I was like WTH. I ended up getting getting a blackthorne with AR and high Dex which was 300M cheaper than AR and 2 sockets. Net I loose 25 Dex but I had money left over to get a great blackthorne ammy. The 200 vit I get from the combo compared to Innas plus the added AR and LOH allowed me to play through MP8-10.

You can test it out if you have about 2Mil to spare. I bought the cheapest Blackthorn ammy and cheapest blackthrone pants with that 2Mil and tried it out. I then resold them for about the same amount purchased and went for the set I am using now. Well worth it for sustainability per gold spent as compared to a LS endgame weapon.

EDIT: Loosing the MS% from Innas I am now in the market for an end game Lacuni Prowlers , I know shamless plug.
Edited by CaptainCarl#1923 on 11/12/2012 10:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
@Sorak - I put it on the AH at some market buyout amount before leaving for work. I'll let you know if it doesn't sell in that time.
Reply Quote
Hmmmm... Great suggestions from you both. I'm going to have to get home and check AH prices for the VW shoulders and the blackthorne's pieces. I think I personally l ike the idea of switching out the blackthorne's pieces so i can get my vitality up (one thing i've been struggling with). I think the DPS I lose when switches my neck and pants out can easily be made up with a new offhand in the 1000 dps range with CD/OS while still gaining me survivability. The only question is, how much is it going to cost me LOL, i'm pretty broke since i haven't had a descent drop in quite some time.

Thanks for the suggestions, if anyone else has more, i'm always open for ideas.

Thanks,
Reply Quote
I think my next upgrade would be vile ward if they didn't look so bad on the monk dunno. Prob going to upgrade my ring to a higher tri or maybe nat boots 250+ dex/vit ones and drop the cold res.
Reply Quote
I need some advice for my chest armor. Should i replace it for something with double resist but lose out on 600 armor and 400 regen? How much of resistance is equal to 600 armor?
Reply Quote
View profile
Do as many are doing Softlesscry and go with the Blackthorns chest since it auto rolls AR and 3 sockets and has decent armor and Vit. Since you want more armor it can roll armor, or regen or dex/vit since it has 2 properites to roll randomly.
Reply Quote
Definitely love the idea of this thread. Probably a little hard to cover everyone.

@ Everyone - Some general advice to my fellow monks, upgrade the gems if they are not upgraded! All chest and leg pieces for monks at this level will have max open sockets, so those will always add value to whatever gear options you may try or transition between. Changing out gear pieces is always costly, but at least gems are always reusable.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 11:42 AMPosted by IAmHero
I think my next upgrade would be vile ward if they didn't look so bad on the monk dunno. Prob going to upgrade my ring to a higher tri or maybe nat boots 250+ dex/vit ones and drop the cold res.

One reason I'm keeping my Andy's for a while - it does look HORRIBLE with Inna's, but not so bad if your helm has horns as well.
Reply Quote
Definitely love the idea of this thread. Probably a little hard to cover everyone.

@ Everyone - Some general advice to my fellow monks, upgrade the gems if they are not upgraded! All chest and leg pieces for monks at this level will have max open sockets, so those will always add value to whatever gear options you may try or transition between. Changing out gear pieces is always costly, but at least gems are always reusable.

Yeah I need to upgrade my gems... although I feel like upgrading to Radiant Star is not cost effective at all at this level. Even perfect stars put a pretty serious dent in my wallet, upgrading my 4 remaining slots would cost 20m+ and that could go towards a new ammy
Reply Quote
Nice thread. Forgive me for not reading the whole thing as it's quite long and it's been a long day..

@Sorak

The most expensive but best DPS for your gold upgrades will be your weapons and a witching hour. Take a look at my monk for examples. If you had my weapons/belt with your gear you would be tearing it up. Your gear is solid though, with the exception of what I mentioned all you can really shoot for is the same items with better rolls.

I've been keeping an eye out for an endgame weapon to replace my MH fist but proper upgrades for it (EF w/ LS and OS or Fist/Dagger @1100 DPS with Crit/LS and OS) are just astronomical in price, but that's pretty much just how it goes!
Reply Quote
@Arislan

I've considered getting a Witching Hour but I get too much Vit and Res from mine to replace it just yet. A WH with even half of the Res All and Dex is way out of my price range at the moment... maybe some day.

Same with weapons. I'd love to get a 800dps LS WKL but they go for 100m+ these days. And actually your MH gives me lower DPS due to the lack of Dex. I am constantly looking for steals on higher CD or weapon DPS with Dex / LS / Socket but generally they go for 100m+ for anything better than what I have.

For you, while this is increasing competition for myself, I'd look to get more Dex on your MH first, getting something similar overall but with 100+ Dex will probably be cheaper than getting something with 1100+ DPS and nearly as effective.
Reply Quote
Yep keeping that resist up is a tough one. I'm comfortable at 626 right now but I have resist on all my jewelry which really limits the selection. Patience is a virtue when it comes to AH shopping.

TY for the advice, you are right. It's easy to get lost in all the CC, CD, IAS values to forget how good dex really is.

edit: Also I meant to add. I've found that big expensive upgrades as opposed to many small ones has saved me a lot of gold in the long run. I play with a group of people one of whom is my brother who started on launch day with me. He has had a hard time keeping up without our help because he is a compulsive spender. He'll drop millions on a ~1k (or less) upgrade then turn around a few days later and replace it again. It always comes out at a loss. So save them gold pieces for big items!
Edited by Arislan#1406 on 11/12/2012 1:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
Believe me, I've kicked myself multiple times for not buying a set of Radiant Star Emeralds when they were 5mil a pop. At the time, I told myself that spending 40mil for a 2k dps increase wasn't worth it.

Hindsight 20/20.
Reply Quote
It's nice to see everyone's around the same boat, floating with the same problems. It's funny reading these comments and thinking about how these are the exact same problems I'm running into...
Reply Quote
Just upgraded my 50 Lightning Res to 270+ Vita Inna's chest. Immediately after I went and downed Azmo on MP10. Feels so rewarding!

My profile as I am on EU: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Axie-2494/hero/19165056

The idea is to now get pants upgrade, and I think going for 170+ Vita is way better and cheaper than 170+ Dex one. At that point I will be HP rich but AR (w/ OWE) quite poor -- now at 399 -- so I might expell my 280 Dex, 65 Vita 5% Life BT belt, and BT 2-set bonus. Witching Hour with Lighning Res is a way to boos resistances and DPS, as lost of any HP (50k+) will be affordable.

I usually do farm and key runs at MP5 and uber-Tristram at MP8. MP10 is doable but makes no sense.

Farm runs I go with standard cookie-cutter build w/ Transcedence and additional 50 LpSS (used to be 100 before I got EF). For uber-bosses I sometimes also go with Combination Strike and DR/F . Beside LpSS I have some low life regen (which also used to be high) and around 1200 LoH. My IAS is 58%.

As my EF/WKL setup lacks LS I am carrying Sledge fist with 2.20 LS and 48% chance to stun, which I equip in harder RD fights and some of ubers.

Also a nice 1400 DPS, 190 CHS, 5.80 LS Vigilance polearm dropped and I use it specifically for Ghom fight or to make SW/C snapshot when fooling around in MP10.

After getting the new Inna's pants, belt is next on the list to upgrade. After that I'll probably be hunting better gloves (tho hard to part/find with you have 260 Dex, 100 Vita and some res on them), for VW with same (cca 250) Dex and high double-res but with additional % or Vita on it... Not sure what with BT ammy to do. And I will basically trying to save money for EF/WKL upgrades. One with CHD and other with LS.

I am not thinking on Nata 2-set now, as my boots are nice and I want to keep Hellfire/SoJ combo until plvl100. Tzo Krin is "poor monks stone" but I guess that will be the last item I will change as I am emotionally bound to them since my HC days.

I would aprreciate any comment regarding my gear and/or plan for upgrading.

EDIT:
Pitty it is all so monotone and there is one build with slight variation that is participating in these discussion, but then again it is "100-150K DPS DW MONK DISCUSSION THREAD" -- heavy tank builds I guess meet somewhere else. :)

Cheers!
Edited by Axie#2494 on 11/12/2012 4:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
What's next? Every upgrade items seems to be so expensive. I'm farming now to get more gold:( averaging about 1M an hour. Slow very slow...
Edited by BONEYARD#1410 on 11/12/2012 10:07 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]