Diablo® III

D3 needs new items or it will die

D3 needs to have new items added with each patch or else it will die as more and more players quit out of boredom. As with any RPG, the most fun is always at the beginning when everything is unknown and excitement is the highest. The problem with D3 more than any other RPG is that we are locked into playing it from the easiest to the hardest dificulty levels with no option where we wanted to start. Thus after playing through D3 4 times we have all seen the same maps and monsters. The only thing left is to find higher quality gear to improve our ability to farm faster. As Blizzard releases new patches to fix bugs, attempt to improve play balance (still a work in progress), attempt to increase build diversification (still a work in progress), tweak high value loot drops (still a big failure), etc. Blizzard devs should also be doing a couple of things to increase replayablility:

1. Add more high value items to allow uber players to gear up even higher than they
    already are.
2. Keep increasing the difficulty factor to make playing an enjoyable challenge for the uber
    hard core players.

Blizzard's addition of MP with the 1.0.5 patch as a way to allow players to set the monster difficulty level to match their character build goes a long way to making D3 challenging for both casual and hard core players. I have seen a few players cruise through Inferno on MP10 so the next patch should increase that to say MP20 with an appropriate scaling of chance of high quality loot drop. On the other end Blizzard still needs to work on high quality loot drop for casual players. Everyone knows that the single most talked/complained about issue with D3 is quality loot drop. Just increasing the quantity of loot has not been a satisfactory answer to complaints of "I'm farming for it seems like forever and all I get is vendor trash." Just increasing the quantity of yellows is of no value as they are now the new blues and are just so much vendor trash. Increasing the % chance of getting a legendary or set item has helped the hard core players but other than a few legendary items at the initial release of patch 1.0.5 the quantity of legendary loot has dropped off for casual players such as myself. I hear all too frequently players unhappy that they now get more legendary items but with level 61 rolls on tham so as to be in the "vendor trash" catagory.

It's high time Blizzard does a restart on their thinking of what Diablo III is to address the increasingly dissatisfied player base. If Blizzard is ultimately going to MMORPG D3 then we need to be kept playing the current D3 model and not continiue to feel like we're just a means to generate monthly revenue. Player satisfaction of D1 and D2 is what created the huge Diablo fanbase and Blizzard is losing it with D3. A major jump start is needed soon before most of the Diablo fanbase is lost permanently.
Edited by Arrowneous#1980 on 11/12/2012 8:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
D3 needs the runes to make combinations...
Reply Quote
It just needs content...lots and lots of content.
Reply Quote
D2:LOD did not add in new gear with every patch, stop thinking about WoW. WoW is the only game that does that AFAIK, unless SC2 does as well. But since I have not touched that game I do not know anything about it.

D2:LOD has been around for more than 10 years and has not added a ton of gear every patch so that is not what is needed to keep this game alive. It does need more content at endgame though.

But it does not need guaranteed upgrades that are handed out like candy at Halloween. Sorry it does not help the long term health of the game. It would make gearing lame if the devs did something like that.
Reply Quote
The "quality" of the loot just seems bad because everyone is after the same stats.
This is because everyone has the same allocation of stats and skill options.
People aren't looking for different gear, they're looking for the same gear with higher stats.
Everything that didn't roll those stats can't be good

The content feels lacking because you can't redo the same content with a completely different character.This is because everyone has the same allocation of stats and skill options.

People want runes because linear gems are boring.
Gems are linear because everyone has the same stat allocation and skill options.

I was hoping in 4th post someone would say "it just needs more build diversity"
This is because when everyone has the same stat allocation and skill options they all go for the highest mathematical sum (optimal, Fotm).

The user Tradd explained this daisy chain in beta12.
In the post "dear,gaming community".
Reply Quote
The "quality" of the loot just seems bad because everyone is after the same stats.
People aren't looking for different gear, they're looking for the same gear with higher stats.

The content feels lacking because you can't redo the same content with a completely different character.This is because everyone has the same allocation of stats and skill options.

Gems are linear because everyone has the same stat allocation and skill options.

This is because when everyone has the same stat allocation and skill options they all go for the highest mathematical sum (optimal, Fotm).

This is true, but I'd bet you all the gold I have that if we had skill trees and more "interesting" stats, people would still be after all the same things. There would be a best build for each class and that's what 99% of the community would use, which would then require the best gear for that build.

This is precisely the reason that skill trees were finally removed from WoW after all these years. All the choice did was give people the chance to make the wrong choice and then someone would make fun of them for being a noob.
Edited by Zoid#1297 on 11/12/2012 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 09:15 AMPosted by ShadowAegis
D2:LOD did not add in new gear with every patch, stop thinking about WoW.

actually D2 did add alot of items through patches even before runewords.
Reply Quote

2. Keep increasing the difficulty factor to make playing an enjoyable challenge for the uber
    hard core players.

I dont think thats a good idea. The game is already difficult enough with the MP10 levels. Making it even MORE difficult will not do anything good. It will just mean that a large group will be even more frustrated.

I mean do we really need hardcore content for the hardest hardcore of the hardcore crowd?
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 10:01 AMPosted by iwonsch
D2:LOD did not add in new gear with every patch, stop thinking about WoW.

actually D2 did add alot of items through patches even before runewords.

they didnt say that items were not added with patches, just that they didnt add new items "every" patch. which is what the post is about. new items will definitely be added with some patches or expansions, but doesnt need them every patch.
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 10:22 AMPosted by dannyboi
yea so we can pay 100's of millions of gold each patch for better items, if this is how diablo 3 is gonig to be il shall just quit

lol of course this is how its going to be 1st expansion should add a ton of new items, this game has no variety in gearing.

There will be a 2nd expansion probably increasing the level cap and making ilvl63 items useless.

This is an alternative to the ladder which they dont want.
Reply Quote
+1
I couldnt agree more... Add new legendary items or fix low end stats.

Please read the summary of my post on how to fix low end stats to make this game amazing!
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004016367
Edited by OldSchool#1359 on 11/12/2012 10:27 AM PST
Reply Quote

This is true, but I'd bet you all the gold I have that if we had skill trees and more "interesting" stats, people would still be after all the same things. There would be a best build for each class and that's what 99% of the community would use, which would then require the best gear for that build.

This is precisely the reason that skill trees were finally removed from WoW after all these years. All the choice did was give people the chance to make the wrong choice and then someone would make fun of them for being a noob.

This is where my solution deviates from Tradd's.

Everyone is looking for optimal output, everyone wants a unique character build.
So how do we get the "A" and the "RPG" to not conflict with each other.

You make it so that every possible build achieves the same level of optimal through different gear.

In D3 you do this by :
Letting everyone assign their stats as they level, but leave the skills swapable.
The skill specific/elemental affixs on gear amplify the skill build.
The stat allocation calls for different amount of stats on gear, but comes to the same sum.

Let us pick our main attribute regardless of class.
Now when you find dex rolled oculus, you have someone to sell it to.
Edited by Vencenzo#1510 on 11/12/2012 10:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
adding new items every patch is probably one of the biggest things killin this game...who wants all the gear they worked hard for to be worthless and have to regear every patch...if they r going to add items they shouldnt make them better than the current ones...just make them different...

THe problem is that most effixes are worthless...so there is no variety in what players want...I like how they made health globes apply to potions...this kind of stuff is what needs to b done...buff the other effixes to make them compete with othere effixes giving us a variety...THorns are near useless,pickup radius is close to useless,LOK is near useless,single elemental res is near useless and i could add about 10 more.the gems need to be buffed to compete as well...95% use crit dmg in weapon because the others dont give as much bang...change amethyst to LS instead of loh...remove thorns completely off topaz and add maybe high res all or maybe increase attack speed to the topaz...and the ruby just needs to be way buffed as well to compete with emerald...and the helm gem effix as well...how many people are loading up there helms with emeralds?
Reply Quote

This is where my solution deviates from Tradd's.

Everyone is looking for optimal output, everyone wants a unique character build.
So how do we get the "A" and the "RPG" to not conflict with each other.

You make it so that every possible build achieves the same level of optimal through different gear.

In D3 you do this by :
Letting everyone assign their stats as they level, but leave the skills swapable.
The skill specific/elemental affixs on gear amplify the skill build.
The stat allocation calls for different amount of stats on gear, but comes to the same sum.

Let us pick our main attribute regardless of class.
Now when you find dex rolled oculus, you have someone to sell it to.

This is simply not possible. If one build clears act 3 in 30 minutes and another in 31 minutes, build 1 will be the vast majority. You're never going to be able to balance things well enough so that there isn't some build that is better by a little bit, which means people will flock to it like sheep.

Again I point to WoW. You would be called a noob for using a spec that used a nice utility but only did 99% of the damage of the best raiding spec for your class (even if you actually did more damage than others because they were bad...always boggled the mind). It was extremely rare to see someone deviating the slightest bit from the "best" spec, even when it was painfully obvious that their spec had nothing to do with their failure, i.e. they didn't understand that standing in fire is bad.
Reply Quote

hard core players.

then succumb to those whiny scrubs and nerf the difficulty of the game?
Reply Quote
11/12/2012 08:41 AMPosted by BattleToad
D3 needs the runes to make combinations...

What for? Everybody will be using the same damn rune combinations anyways.
Reply Quote

This is simply not possible. If one build clears act 3 in 30 minutes and another in 31 minutes, build 1 will be the vast majority. You're never going to be able to balance things well enough so that there isn't some build that is better by a little bit, which means people will flock to it like sheep.

Again I point to WoW. You would be called a noob for using a spec that used a nice utility but only did 99% of the damage of the best raiding spec for your class (even if you actually did more damage than others because they were bad...always boggled the mind). It was extremely rare to see someone deviating the slightest bit from the "best" spec, even when it was painfully obvious that their spec had nothing to do with their failure, i.e. they didn't understand that standing in fire is bad.

I think it's possible, but psychology will display the illusion of fotm.

In the case that this is not possible :
It's better to have the illusion of choice than no character individuality.
At least you get the years of replay value before optimal is discovered and shared.
We may as well put D2's system on D3's engine.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]