Diablo® III

Molten is crazy.

A barb has better ways to deal with Molten than monks (I played both). Ignore Pain, Leap, Overpower/CA, Rend, even WOTB gives you the mobility and defence to deal with it. Of course, many WW barbs may not have these skills (I am Frenzy/Rend).

I don't think all affixes should be equally distributed which may not be possible anyway. I like having to move a little to cope with Molten or Fire Chains. This is not kiting because I Rend before I move a couple of steps away (same with Frozen - Rend, or followed by Leap if you want to).

I enjoy the mobility, defence and killing power of the barb - you might say overpowered, but that's more about the lacking in other classes. For monk, it's much harder I agree although Dashing Strike and Thunderfists allow you to teleport to safe areas too. Or just click the mouse to a yard away ;)
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 08:43 PMPosted by rahl
A barb has better ways to deal with Molten than monks (I played both). Ignore Pain, Leap, Overpower/CA, Rend

True but when I play 2h I just rend for heals then bash/hammer, and reposition when fighting molten, no extra fancy skills. This alone makes it easy to go 2h vs molten where ww would take longer.
Reply Quote
I think they should put a mp level called "Baby mode" monsters roll over easier then normal all you have to do it yell at them to die... This mode would be for all your cry baby mother... and that everything should just be nerfed to nothing....
Reply Quote
View profile
11/01/2012 09:03 PMPosted by RoyalHighnss
I think they should put a mp level called "Baby mode" monsters roll over easier then normal all you have to do it yell at them to die... This mode would be for all your cry baby mother... and that everything should just be nerfed to nothing....

gee....another barb talkin smack.

It has now been acknowledged by Blizz that RD is not necessarily functioning well at high MP levels. High MP denotes bringing high DPS. High DPS, for many builds/classes = instant death from RD, even upon successfully vanquishing a pack.

RD just needs to be tweaked so that players can approach RD packs on higher MP levels without having to fudge with switching to weak gears just for the one fight and/or spend millions of gold searching out gear just to address the one occasional affix.

When a characters build/gear is fine for everything thing else in the game but hits a snag because of a death sentence affix, something isn't right.
Reply Quote
lol..if you are dieing at high MP from the affixes, THEN YOU ARNT GEARED FOR THAT LEVEL. your gear/build arn't fine you need a better or different gear/build. baby mode ^
Reply Quote

Molten and Desecrator can be particularly deadly since they have a chance to both stack with themselves and with each other, and it can be easy to miss in the heat of battle. We’re comfortable with the way both affixes are currently working, though, since many gamers are well versed in "don't stand in the fire" scenarios. Just keep an eye out for those ground effects!

Not that "comfortable" word again. You know, poison and frost stacks too, but I hardly feel like it's murder compared to molten. Even molten trumps desecrate outright, if you want to compare apples with apples.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 07:18 PMPosted by BurningRope
5) LS does nothing against RD when it's by way of EP explosion.

yes it does. i came from LoH and used to die from explosion from EP. i then tried LoH and LS but i still die. i'm now full LS (5.8%) and RD barely affects me now.
Reply Quote
what i think is crazy is those poison mob that thrusts their arm to the ground. herald of pestilence?

3 of those doing ranged while i'm in the middle of a mob and i'm dead. they're not even elites.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Grimiku
We’re comfortable with the way both affixes are currently working, though, since many gamers are well versed in "don't stand in the fire" scenarios.

Thank god.
Reply Quote
View profile
I would like to know if it's just me or does the molten affix do crazy damage?

I have a lot of armor and a lot of resist. I will set the game to monster power 5 and go to act 3 and stand in plagued desecrator all day. I can usually face tank hulking phasebeasts and 1 or 2 arcane beams is no problem.

But... molten just melts me and it seems to be half the time it's not so bad and the other half I see my life drop really fast.

Anyone else experience this? Working as intended?

Molten and Desecrator can be particularly deadly since they have a chance to both stack with themselves and with each other, and it can be easy to miss in the heat of battle. We’re comfortable with the way both affixes are currently working, though, since many gamers are well versed in "don't stand in the fire" scenarios. Just keep an eye out for those ground effects!

you mean inside the ground effects we already create in many abilities as well as being surrounded by mobs whom cover up almost half of it while our several yard models cover up 2/5s of it as well

yeah those don't stand in the fire scenarios aren't the same as WoW

also your poison literally covers it up
Edited by ElevenEleven#1177 on 11/1/2012 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Grimiku

Except for the fact that molten mobs constantly reposition themselves and force the player into very unfortunate circumstances. As a monk that uses Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap, Shift+Attack is not a viable option of attack because the repositioning can mess you up hard when combined with their already sporadic movement.
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Rogue
Go search for a thread that fully explains the molten affix, hopefully that guy wasnt banned and his thread is still in the database.

Basically

Fast attack small mobs with molten affix are most deadly

Slow attack fat mobs are least deadly

Some caster mobs with fire base attacks are also more deadly with molten
Reply Quote
There's no stacking indicator for molten, right? Why don't just add that?
Reply Quote
View profile

Except for the fact that molten mobs constantly reposition themselves and force the player into very unfortunate circumstances. As a monk that uses Fists of Thunder + Thunderclap, Shift+Attack is not a viable option of attack because the repositioning can mess you up hard when combined with their already sporadic movement.

Molten is a great example of an affix that requires skill to mitigate. Fast/Teleport/Molten/Horde Elite Lasher packs are among my favorite enemies, as they will leave your head spinning.

Thank goodness that the #1 cookie cutter Monk build (FoT/Cyclone) has an Achilles heel...and that is the way it teleports you right back into horrific stacks of ground affixes.

This is exactly why I devised a build that relies on technique and allows you to keep pumping out DPS while skirting around, re-positioning along the outside, to avoid these tough multi-ground affix packs.

strategy should be required to defeat these affixes. Now....with Reflect Damage, the strategy I keep hearing is for you to spend tens of millions on extremely expensive Life Steal gears.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 11/2/2012 2:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Molten is way overpowered since 1.0.5. Especially when you need to gather the mobs, like ww barbs need to.

It stacks now, because they made all ground damaging effects stack. Imho this is just a side effect of the DH Trail of Cinders nerf/rebuff, at least that's the only related thing mentioned in the patch notes.

I can faceroll literally anything with my ww barb, numerous elite packs at once included. But when there is a molten pack, I need to carefully kite them around, because merely passing through the trail messes up my life management. And I'm talking about mp0 here.
It's just out of place when you have mastered a certain difficulty, but wait: you haven't...
Reply Quote
I would like to know if it's just me or does the molten affix do crazy damage?

I have a lot of armor and a lot of resist. I will set the game to monster power 5 and go to act 3 and stand in plagued desecrator all day. I can usually face tank hulking phasebeasts and 1 or 2 arcane beams is no problem.

But... molten just melts me and it seems to be half the time it's not so bad and the other half I see my life drop really fast.

Anyone else experience this? Working as intended?

Personaly I do feel Molten and Descecrator are working fine (although I think monster affixes should be less fire based and it would be nice to have some more diversity in the poison/lightning/ice area).

My main concern and question is the fact that Dexterity is helpless against ground effects.
Reply Quote
WIZ/DH = RD
BARB = MOLTEN
WD = ?
MONK = ?

I guess i havent seen QQ threads from Monks and WD.

Monk are still busy waiting for their reviving time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]