Diablo® III

Molten is crazy.

Molten does more damage than other elements, plus the fact it stacks. And there's one more thing most players neglect, and that is molten is always on. Other forms of elemental damage are cast periodically, but molten always trails the elite.

This results in a full screen of fire that is pretty much unavoidable if you have to engage the elite as a melee.

To summarise, molten:
1. Does the most damage
2. Stacks several times
3. Is always on
4. Rate of ticks affected by fast affix?

That makes it pretty overpowered, and the Devs are comfortable with it. I have to disagree with its balance. You can outgear almost everything, but molten will still nail you time and again. That is even if you run, and do not stand in fire...just brushing by it takes off a more than decent amount of life.
Edited by Hayrich#6694 on 11/2/2012 4:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'd like to see molten disappearing immediately when the fight ends... just like plagued.
Reply Quote
View profile
I saw a whine, then I saw a blue, I panicked but luckily blue says no nerf needed
Reply Quote
I would like to know if it's just me or does the molten affix do crazy damage?

I have a lot of armor and a lot of resist. I will set the game to monster power 5 and go to act 3 and stand in plagued desecrator all day. I can usually face tank hulking phasebeasts and 1 or 2 arcane beams is no problem.
But... molten just melts me and it seems to be half the time it's not so bad and the other half I see my life drop really fast.

Anyone else experience this? Working as intended?

Molten and Desecrator can be particularly deadly since they have a chance to both stack with themselves and with each other, and it can be easy to miss in the heat of battle. We’re comfortable with the way both affixes are currently working, though, since many gamers are well versed in "don't stand in the fire" scenarios. Just keep an eye out for those ground effects!

More expert advice from the people who cant clear MP 1 in there "own game"
Reply Quote
Bottomline is, they don't want people standing in fire. I think that's fine, but make it similar to the fire in Act 3 Keeps where the first tick hits for less; subsequent ticks are deadlier. That way, molten does not lose its potency if you choose to tank it, yet people are not unfairly penalised simply because the first tick burnt away a third of their health globe.
Reply Quote
I have never tried anything else than DH, could somebody please educate me why tanks stand in fire?
Reply Quote
I do like the current style and damage of molten and desecrator. But I have an intense problem with those mobs with smaller collision box than molten-range. They like running through and all around you. So, wherever you want to fight, they will stack their molten aoe range right on top of your character. Especially if these monsters have the extra fast affix. And yes, I also like the AI that tells them to surround their enemies.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 04:34 AMPosted by Lyriikka
I have never tried anything else than DH, could somebody please educate me why tanks stand in fire?

Because tanks, like their names suggest, are supposed to hold off enemies and their incoming damage, so things don't go amok all over the place. Including and not exclusive to fire.

Which also means, ranged classes like DHs don't have to kite as much, and can focus attack on a tight group of enemies.

Specific to tanking in fire, they don't really have a choice, do they? Can tanks tell the group, "Hey guys, screw this fire, I'm tanking everything else except this...handle it yourself"? Don't think so. A tank can be well-geared enough to hold off almost all other elements, but not fire. The question here is why does fire do so much more damage compared to other elements, even desecrate? Stacking alone does not factor for everything. Poison stacks, probably a chain of frost novas can be considered stacking too. I can even tank a 3 stack of desecration, but fire? Hell, no.
Edited by Hayrich#6694 on 11/2/2012 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Because tanks, like their names suggest, are supposed to hold enemies and their incoming damage, so things don't go amok all over the place. Including and not exclusive to fire.

Which also means, ranged classes like DHs don't have to kite as much, and can focus attack on a tight group of enemies.

I'm not even sure if you are serious about your question.

I am serious. I guess its more easy for DH since we are usually running away from elites and they follow us... no chance of getting double molten then.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 04:34 AMPosted by Lyriikka

Easy. lots of life leech, lots of damage = said fire being a fury battery.

double triple, dont matter. I'm not complaining.

However there is a little problem that melee do tend to have with it and that is get dodge locked or swarmed so you cant move. Swarmed part I love because I can rend it all, however the dodge lock dan be a huge issue when you can't move, cant attack. And worse half the time you try to charge out of it your char becomes bugged forcing you to drop game and lose stacks.
Edited by adhal#1845 on 11/2/2012 4:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Molten does more damage than other elements, plus the fact it stacks. And there's one more thing most players neglect, and that is molten is always on. Other forms of elemental damage are cast periodically, but molten always trails the elite.

This results in a full screen of fire that is pretty much unavoidable if you have to engage the elite as a melee.

To summarise, molten:
1. Does the most damage
2. Stacks several times
3. Is always on
4. Rate of ticks affected by fast affix?

That makes it pretty overpowered, and the Devs are comfortable with it. I have to disagree with its balance. You can outgear almost everything, but molten will still nail you time and again. That is even if you run, and do not stand in fire...just brushing by it takes off a more than decent amount of life.

That is why when i get this affix combo i wish i would be a WW Barb lol
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Mittons
(WW Barb kiting lol)

LOL

why do barbs even take ANY damage. that's ridiculous.
Reply Quote

Molten and Desecrator can be particularly deadly since they have a chance to both stack with themselves and with each other, and it can be easy to miss in the heat of battle. We’re comfortable with the way both affixes are currently working, though, since many gamers are well versed in "don't stand in the fire" scenarios. Just keep an eye out for those ground effects!

why the hell should a wall of fire stack with another wall of fire in the same place ?
makes no sense.
Reply Quote

Because tanks, like their names suggest, are supposed to hold off enemies and their incoming damage, so things don't go amok all over the place. Including and not exclusive to fire.

This is a fallacy. Surely a tank (I am one) can take ONE step back or sideways and continue tanking?
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Grimiku

the thing is, even more with the new monster power feature, the defenses a player can stack are limited, a huge amount of armor 9k(after buffs) and a good amount of all res(say 1.1k) should be enough not to die in 3 seconds on a 2stacked molten patch., desacratore are easier to avoid simply cause the area of effect is smaller, molten, sometimes, is everywhere.

i'm not asking for you to nerf them to the ground so that nobody would ever die from them, but at least, for instance, make molten not stack with itself or ticks slowly or just for less. so that they'd still be deadly, but easier to read, and for some player(the heavy defensive geared ones) survavible. right now it's simply molten=run away or die. not fun.

Suggestion: molten not able to stack with itself, or tick only once per second, or simply tick for less damage overall.
Desacrator is fine, the area is limited so moving out of it isn't a big deal, and the damage of 1 stack looks medium-high and from 2 onward u're not supposed to be there to begin with. Molten instead is kind of everywhere sometimes, makes following a monster terribly annoying and you can't possibly tell if it's actually a 2 stack or a 3 stack or more, addictionally, it totally nullifies your defenses, you can't block it, a reasonable amount of liferegen isn't even close to enough to ocounter it, even at 9 armor and 1.1k all res a two stack molten melts you too fast to be enjoyable.
Edited by Dumah#2134 on 11/2/2012 5:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Perhaps the color of molten would change when stacked together? More molten, more whiter it gets.
Reply Quote
There is a reason why my Fire Resist is 200% higher than all my other resists. I would like to raise my Arcane Resist as well though, I am lucky now if I can run through two beams without dying.

Poison and cold affixes are pretty much a joke to me though.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 06:00 AMPosted by Lyriikka
Perhaps the color of molten would change when stacked together? More molten, more whiter it gets.

White is too hard to see. Make it bluer. Blue flames are hotter than red and yellow.
Edited by mentok1982#1212 on 11/2/2012 6:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I would like to know if it's just me or does the molten affix do crazy damage?

I have a lot of armor and a lot of resist. I will set the game to monster power 5 and go to act 3 and stand in plagued desecrator all day. I can usually face tank hulking phasebeasts and 1 or 2 arcane beams is no problem.

But... molten just melts me and it seems to be half the time it's not so bad and the other half I see my life drop really fast.

Anyone else experience this? Working as intended?

Many developers are also well versed in unit pathing allowing for gamers not to get stuck in a corner when there is a monster or two nearby while navigating lousy small non random maps too. Just saying.
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, let me keep an eye on those ground effects....When i get Jailed on top of them over and over because my Serenity is on CD. So much i can do in those situations.

Guess the blues forget that not everyone is permanently immune to CC like WW barbs >_>
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]