Diablo® III

equipped item lock system

View profile
11/05/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Elektrik
Just take the 1/4 second it requires after IDing to make sure your DPS is the same. Not that difficult.

So....you think it's intuitive and sound that players have to "concentrate" in order to not make a horrid error while doing something so menial as identifying items???

Wouldn't a simple fail-safe system be a far better, more intuitive solution?

After all, the issue arises from ID'ing a staggering amounts of junk rares 1 at a time, which is another counter-intuitive feature.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 11/7/2012 3:08 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004693267#14"]here[/url], we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.

I get y'alls back often here. I defend your company all the time.

But this is just.....silly. The issue is a result of the arduous, monotonous task of individually identifying hundreds of rares per session. This sort of repetitive task has a habit of shutting off your mind to some extent, as if the fog of monotony blurs our vision.

I am actually quite stunned that Blizzard isn't offering hope for this situation to be rectified.

The solutions are many and they are simple.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 11/7/2012 3:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Happen to me several time actually. Click to identify item only to misclick it by a bit and click on an item that has already been identify and it swap the equip. I caught it all but one time which i end up selling it and left the game. The item was worth about 15-20mil.
Reply Quote
82 Blood Elf Hunter
Absurd precautions? I mean I don't have a problem with them adding a gear lock or something, but you accidentally equipping something is hardly Blizzard's fault. edit//if this was added, people would complain that it's annoying to have to verify a gear swap, and just leave this option off anyway.

Absurd percautions???
Come to australia now thats absurd

Soon might have to turn my mobile phone off before i get into the car and drive to work...they pushing for the law!!!
Can't beat ya kids....apparently makes them criminals but crime rates up so.....
Everything needs a safety rail, handles slip mats etc. Pretty soon it will be law to have a hand rail to hold onto as i take toilet paper off the roll to wipe myself...you know just in case i might fall off the john and hurt the tiles...

But all in all...never underestimate the power of an idiot. Ive seen things done so wrong that would require a great deal of effort to stuff up so greatly...yet they think they've done a great job...ahh no, your doing it wrong.

Doesn't matter what fail safes are put in, some people will still somehow manage to do it.
If your wallet falls out of your back pocket are you going to tell the company they should have put a zip there?
Just pay a bit more attention and don't right click all over the sceen when you sell, Identify all items when you come straight through the TP back in town.

The issue is a result of the arduous, monotonous task of individually identifying hundreds of rares per session. This sort of repetitive task has a habit of shutting off your mind to some extent, as if the fog of monotony blurs our vision.

But yes and ID all button would be nice to take some of that zombified automated clicking out of the way. I hit zombie mode after about an hour
Edited by Ausric#1682 on 11/7/2012 3:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile

The issue is a result of the arduous, monotonous task of individually identifying hundreds of rares per session. This sort of repetitive task has a habit of shutting off your mind to some extent, as if the fog of monotony blurs our vision.

But yes and ID all button would be nice to take some of that zombified automated clicking out of the way. I hit zombie mode after about an hour

Have the Merch ID all except for Legends. I like the long wait then....but this thing with the rares....man...C'mon Blizzard.

Continuing to force people to adhere to this practice is now bordering on inane arrogance.

WHY? Why must they to adhere to a ridiculous, absurd process of identifying rares the "Diablo 3 way"???

It is something the players seem to UNANIMOUSLY find disgusting.

If Blizzard wants to pander to us this idea that they have their own way of doing things.....I would like to remind them of the state of Legendaries at launch. Like....how did that even get off the development table? Someone actually had to look at those things, someone that is actually developing the game, someone that knows the template for D3 itemization, and they said "Yeah, those will work."
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 11/7/2012 3:31 AM PST
Reply Quote
While I agree it should be more difficult to make this mistake, I strongly believe it's your own fault if you do. You know how the game works. You know what to look out for. Take an extra second or two and double check. If it wasn't important enough to double check, don't whine when it's gone.
That being said, I do like the shift+right click idea.
Reply Quote
View profile
While I agree it should be more difficult to make this mistake, I strongly believe it's your own fault if you do. You know how the game works. You know what to look out for. Take an extra second or two and double check. If it wasn't important enough to double check, don't whine when it's gone.
That being said, I do like the shift+right click idea.

I would argue that it is the identification prcess itself that is to blame. Yes, people are ultimately responsible for the mistake.

But why did they make this mistake? Are they stupid? No.

Are they being "careless"? No.

They're just sick and tired of ID'ing fail rares by the countless dozens and they inevitably zone out and goof. (and I don't mind that so many items are fail, I like the extreme randomness)

Straight up, this wouldn't happen if rares were mass Id'd. If it did happen after a mass 'ID-all' feature was implemented, then yes, it would be 100% the players fault if a mistake were made.
Edited by BurningRope#1322 on 11/7/2012 3:35 AM PST
Reply Quote
vaeflare your avatar pissing me off you cant point your pawn to player like a slap change it!
Reply Quote
@Biddlewick: I agree with you, and quite a few people who've made the mistake also agree (like the OP) - it is our fault if we make the mistake. However, the simple fact that a lot of people are making the mistake is an indication that Blizzard should do something to prevent it (or at least reduce the risk).

As others have pointed out, the fact that gear is often bought on the RMAH for quite large sums of money monetizes the loss if it happens. It's not just a virtual item with no real value. The sword, belt, ring, etc could have a very real monetary value. That's what makes it so bad. And therefore so worthy of being prevented.

quick edit: I'd also much rather NOT have a shift-click to ID rares. It's more effort on every single item and it affects every single user. Be better if it was a toggle that's either active/inactive. Click it off when you want to swap gear then right click works to switch, click it on and you can't switch your gear by right clicking.
Edited by Carnacki#1383 on 11/7/2012 3:43 AM PST
Reply Quote
That analogy is not perfectly valid and is clearly apples to oranges. One situation involves possible death while the other causes you to QQ. I'm not saying the design couldn't be better but whats the point? You'll just find a way to complain about that too.
Reply Quote
I guess it's time for Blizz to do something about this as gear won't be upgreadable as often, there's less need for a quick change of gear.
I hate it when I make the mistake of identifying an already identified item and the swap occurs. It's annoying.
Reply Quote
The ones against implementing this feature are the ones that this has never happened to, or has happened to once. They have since learned their mistake and will never let it happen again.

The ones that want this feature so badly are the ones this has happened to, maybe even multiple times, and have not learned their lesson.

By adding this into the game it will only prove that this new generation of gamers need to be coddled and nurtured at each and every step.

A large number of people don't want this because it means they are going to become the minority (The kind that can learn, adapt, and optimize on their own), as opposed to the new wave that must hold hands as they cross each and every street.

This new wave of players want more and more things handed to them, immediately, and without challenge. They don't want opportunities to make mistakes and want safe guards put into place so that mistakes can never happen.

Edit for small grammer fixes*

Nice little tangent to prove to us all just how intellectually superior you are to everyone who has accidentally done this. Bravo. C'mon dude get a grip. No1 is asking for you or anyone else to "hold our hand" across the street you derp it's nothing but a simple UI fix to prevent a negative game changing event that can happen with a simple extra click of a mouse.

While I have never done this myself I almost have and cought it. Unfortunately there are others who haven't. Is it their fault? Yes. Are they asking for items back? NO. Just a simple hotfix put in place to prevent it from happening again.

Hop off the high horse and get over yourself.
Reply Quote
I'd have to agree; I've caught myself accidentally unequipping/switching items while IDing a full stash filled with stuff after a run... I think it's an unfortunate side effect of the IDing process and I support having some kind of feature to lock your equipped items or forcing a shift click to equip/unequip as OP suggested.

Personally, since they removed the ID scrolls, I see no reason for items to require identification at all... just an extra couple of seconds of time sink with no real purpose.
Reply Quote
better yet

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gseqHitCl5o/TjZdsetWwoI/AAAAAAAAAac/Boqt_qA4agU/s1600/deckardcain.jpg
Edited by BigB#1618 on 11/7/2012 8:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
just be more careful
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I am all for this idea as long as it's an option that can be enabled or disabled for those who wish to not use it.
Reply Quote
Remove the cast time on identify and we won't sit there spam clicking, accidentally swapping gear. I watch TV while I ID items because TV IS MORE INTERESTING than watching the bar move across the screen.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]