Diablo® III

equipped item lock system

How is it not Blizzard's fault? They designed an UI where this happens A LOT. It's kind of like putting a "sell all gear" button and just asking players not to accidentally click on it. Any designer (UI, product, etc.) will tell you how much fail this is on multiple levels. I am in awe that people will defend Blizzard's lazy coding.

1) I'm not defending their coding. It's just never even struck me as an issue.

2) How it is not Blizzard's fault? That's easy. You're the one that equipped gear you didn't mean to, and then sold your good gear.

3) A sell all gear button comparison is ridiculous. A better comparison would be driving your BMW to a Ford dealership to test drive a used Focus, and then leaving in the focus without noticing it.
Reply Quote

How is it not Blizzard's fault? They designed an UI where this happens A LOT. It's kind of like putting a "sell all gear" button and just asking players not to accidentally click on it. Any designer (UI, product, etc.) will tell you how much fail this is on multiple levels. I am in awe that people will defend Blizzard's lazy coding.

1) I'm not defending their coding. It's just never even struck me as an issue.

2) How it is not Blizzard's fault? That's easy. You're the one that equipped gear you didn't mean to, and then sold your good gear.

3) A sell all gear button comparison is ridiculous. A better comparison would be driving your BMW to a Ford dealership to test drive a used Focus, and then leaving in the focus without noticing it.

well said. I just personally don't view this as a area where development time is needed to be spent.

and i am no blizz fanboy, i doubt you will find very many peeps with 700+ hours on a wiz that are all that happy with blizz haha
Reply Quote
i dont care how bad currnt UI/system is.
the problem is that blizzard does nothing for these feedback.
make any fail safe function/item recovery support or whatever, they should do something
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Monk
The secret is, those items sold to vendors are put into the DB and sold on the RL auction house by Blizzard account bots....probably.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned here, we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004693267#14"]here[/url], we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.

WTF?

seriously... this is ridiculous. Just add a gear lock option. WoW has it...

Especially considering there is REAL MONEY attached to your gear... NOT having the option is just stupid. You guys amaze me.
Reply Quote
seriously... this is ridiculous. Just add a gear lock option. WoW has it...

And then you say you don't want this game to look like WoW.
Reply Quote
only doodoos make this mistake. people are just ignorant.

Maybe im just above the average users.
Edited by Ketchup#1231 on 11/5/2012 3:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/05/2012 02:11 PMPosted by whoopadeedoo
I don't see whats the problem with making a button that gives an item the elevated properties of a bind on account item (in that you cant drop or sell it[ie: Staff of herding]). But then again, i'm not a programmer.

I recall Blizzard commented that this is not as easy as people think (this was some time ago when they were still responding to demands of gear lock ... now these requests go ignored).

So I have been proposing the easiest solution in the world for them to implement:
Make gear swap shift+right click. There. No more accidental swapping or vendoring gear from one illogical key bind.

i hear adding shift into the coding might take blizzard developers 5months to contemplate all the "repercussions" of such a drastic change.

and then another month for their inept coders to design and implement during which they will break the ability to unequip items so you can never equip an upgrade again.

such is life at blizztard headquarters.
Reply Quote
We don't need a gear lock feature. Why ask for something that requires lots of coding and testing when it could be solved in a much easier fashion?

Change the right-click to equip function. Either remove it, or change it to alt-right-click or something. No coding, simple key mapping.
Reply Quote
As an ui designer myself I find it utterly amazing how hard coded their interface is. They have the technology (the xml based modular gui in wow) so i'm not sure why they didn't use it. I'm not saying the should make the gui mod-able for players (though i would love it) since they are obviously trying to avoid that, but they should have designed it better so they could make simple changes like this very very quickly. but it took them months to change the chat window and that's not even re-sizable. very hard coded is very bad design
Reply Quote
a simple warning window can resolve this issue.
whenever you replace an equiped item (accidental or intentional) a warning window will apear and asks you whether you want to proceed, select yes or no.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]