Diablo® III

equipped item lock system

11/09/2012 10:31 PMPosted by Hayrich
At a certain point, players need to be responsible for their actions. Gear doesn't vendor automatically, you have to click on it for it to go. So take a second and review what you're doing. And if you don't want to, accept that it's your own fault and stop whining about it like a child.

It's not about responsibility, or whining. It's about an improvement, a simple one that can prevent a catastrophic loss. Why have two pilots on a plane? Why have safety trigger locks on guns? Why do blades have scabbard sheaths?

If you can implement a simple feature/workflow to prevent accidents, why not?

Because everything you ask for costs money to implement and takes away from something else. It would be extremely silly to loose out on cool new features because Blizzard devoted manpower to this.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 11:05 PMPosted by Kweefinator

The feature does nothing to enhance or improve on the current design. The only reason the problem is occurring is because the users are not taking responsibility for their actions.

If they were paying attention they would never have switched the item and this feature would never need to be implemented.

If this gets implemented then it opens doors for other pointless features to be added that remove the player from the game.

Sorry, but once again, item lock is a useful feature. A human can never pay attention for 100% of the time; it has nothing to do with personal responsibility. Currently I check my dps and stats with a cursory scan over my gear because I am paranoid about losing my gear. Yet, there are times (especially after long runs) when I can still accidentally swap out equipped gear. I already have a friend who is even more careful than I am, but still managed to lose his gear on 1 occasion. That tells you it's not about being responsible or what else, but because no one is perfect.

And the thing is, losing gear is permanent. It is irreversible, unlike the examples you have quoted. Picking up items unintentionally, or misclicking on a monster is hardly something catastrophic.

Item lock is not pointless. I had an earlier post about this: "if item lock was implemented, would you use it?" Would you? I would even go one step further and challenge Blizzard to implement it and run the percentage of players who keep their gear locked on a permanent/semi-permanent basis. You really cannot run away from hard numbers here. That was how the legendary "column of light" was implemented, as opposed to suggestions that were more superfluous (colour changes/pickup radius). Players are already concerned about missing out on legendary items, what more losing pieces of gear they have deemed to be superior enough for them to wear it? Besides, item lock has no bearing on people who choose not to use it.

Suggestions which are good enough will eventually push their way through, because it is a real issue, and people will keep asking for it. Threads on losing items will appear again and again until something is done, and it's not because I'm bumping it. It's because everyday there are new incidents of misvendoring equipped gear. I'm not crying about game difficulty here; I'm asking for a useful feature that will improve gameplay, convenience and safety for everyone. I'm looking forward to that day when I don't have to keep staring at my stats and gear to ensure I did not sell off my gear with each town visit.
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 11:31 PMPosted by Afrofrycook

It's not about responsibility, or whining. It's about an improvement, a simple one that can prevent a catastrophic loss. Why have two pilots on a plane? Why have safety trigger locks on guns? Why do blades have scabbard sheaths?

Because everything you ask for costs money to implement and takes away from something else. It would be extremely silly to loose out on cool new features because Blizzard devoted manpower to this.

It doesn't have to cost alot, or take alot of time to implement this. I'll code it for them if they even ask; it is extremely simple. It doesn't have to detract from new cool features.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004693267#14"]here[/url], we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.

Logged in just to say this is ridiculous.
Reply Quote
While I understand where people are going with the analogies like car accidents, I dislike using them because the safety features added there are as much to protect other people as the people who have the accident. The best analogy I've seen is one made earlier in this thread about cameras and deleting photos. Or having a prompt when you shut down your word processor asking you to save a file.

And if you want to talk analogies it's exactly the same as the buyback tab in this very game. I mean why is it in there? It serves exactly the same purpose (though not as well) as what we're talking - to protect players from unintentionally selling their gear. It's exactly the same. So why is it in there? By the naysayers logic it shouldn't be. Everyone should just be more careful and spend longer IDing their items before selling and if you do sell something then tough luck.

But the point is, its a layer of protection that can be relatively easily implemented and obviously the developers felt there was a demand for it and that it served a purpose. So it's certainly reasonable to ask for a better, more effective form of protection and let the developers decide whether it's worth doing.

I can understand the developers not doing anything about it at the moment since they're probably devoting time to PVP and other changes. But if we don't raise issues then they'll never get addressed.
Reply Quote
Kweefinator, apparently you live in an ideal world where mistakes do not happen. Taking responsibility for them is one thing, but seeking improvements to reduce their future occurrences is yet another. You do realise that taking responsibility for errors does nothing to eliminate them; it's the subsequent actions to prevent them from happening again that matters.

You have made an entire list of supposed measures that prove nothing. "You can see the numerous pictorials with your eyes, hear the sounds with your ears, hence it is impossible that you make an error." Ridiculous, isn't it? That is the exact point you are making. How about this? I'll give you a list of one billion numbers to type out into a word document. Each and every number you type out is your own conscious effort, hence you will take responsibility and not make an error (going by your warped logic). If you make even 1 mistake, I will ensure a penalty to you that is heavy and irreversible. I care not for your "taking of responsibility". You can see the numbers in black and white. Heck, I'll even give you 13 guys to proof read it, just to mirror your list of preventive measures. Given your extremely careful nature, can you ensure you will not make an error? Remember that I only am concerned with getting a list of correct numbers, but not your supposed responsibility taking, because that does nothing for me.

Now suppose I have a photocopying machine. Sure, it is possible that I still have an error, but that chance is extremely slim. Most likely, I will get a billion correct numbers back. Versus manual copying, you're telling me you will not use the photocopying machine?

But it appears we will never see eye to eye. I just need you to answer a question of mine:

"If the item lock is ever implemented, will you use it?"

That's all I need to know from you. Please answer it.
Reply Quote
Just because a feature would be easy to add does not mean it should be added.
There are some arguing the case that, "You wouldn't even notice it was there."

Why add something that hundreds and maybe even thousands of people wouldn't even notice or use? Is that improving the game? Having countless numbers of players not even notice something in their entire lifetime of playing the game is going to be an improvement that is greatly needed?

I would also like to know by what evidence you base this assumption on, that most people wouldn't notice or use the item lock. Because, going by the replies on this thread, the majority favour the item lock, and will use it.
Reply Quote
Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004693267#14"]here[/url], we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.

you guys are a bunch of !@#$%, it would take 20min to code a lock/unlock inv button, and items arnt always lost via selling them to a vendor.

just add it, stop making excuses, the entire community wants it, its your job to produce.
Reply Quote
"If the item lock is ever implemented, will you use it?"

That's all I need to know from you. Please answer it.

I have to reply to this simply because you will not let it go.

If I do not answer you will bash me.
If I answer no you will bash me.
If I answer yes you will bash me.
If I answer with any other reply you will bash me.

I hope that covers all angles.

It's not that difficult; you either will use it or you won't. I think we are entitled to either a "Yes" or "No" at this juncture, just to make your stand clear.
Reply Quote
Would be nice to have option to disable right clicky equip.
Reply Quote
Jawn,

If Blizzard added gear lock or removed equip from the same key as ID and sell, do you think accidental gear swap and/or selling would occur at remotely the same frequency? You have your answer for culpability right there.
The frequency I see is "Zero" so I suspect it would remain the same. I'd be pretty annoyed whenever I had to change gear though, so I guess Blizz would eventually change it back because Complaint Guarantees Action.

You wouldn't have to worry about that because you could make it optional. If you dont want item lock, just dont enable it.
Edited by Brando#1490 on 11/10/2012 7:18 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/09/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Kweefinator
So you have a functioning car, and an accident occurs because the driver lost control and steered into a bush. True? Not the car's fault by a mile; the driver was careless/sleepy. But does that mean you use that argument and hence justify not putting in the ABS or air bags? That the driver was in the wrong, hence he does not deserve safety features? Remember that humans are not infallible.

This example does nothing to support the argument.

This example is comparing a person losing physical/mental control over their body to a person that is intentionally pressing a button while hovering over the incorrect item, all the while being in perfect physical/mental control of their body.

It makes no sense to you because of only two possible reason.

1) You don't want to understand because it totally demolishes your position or...

2) You are very dense.
Reply Quote
Its a usefull feature.

When you are indentifying lots of items its very easy to double click and swap with your own item without noticing it.

Or actually is it possible to change swap item hotkey? That would solve the problem if key for identifying and swapping item is not the same.
Edited by tigerija#2401 on 11/10/2012 7:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
I would support the loot lock system. Buying back does provide a line of protection but it is still not very secure because people make mistake. I think the lock system is much better on protecting players' gears and I would like to see blizzard adds the feature!
Reply Quote
well if u can 't manage the different windows , and how the right click reacts , just stop going to vendor !!!!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]