Diablo® III

New Hardcore Barb

Look at the game guide on this site. It shows the levels of all items.

Sometimes you'll be able to get 3-4 higher level items at certain levels. You don't need to buy 3-4 new items usually. Just if you see something with stats outstandingly better than what you currently have get it.

Example:
Current pants have: 30 str, 20 vit
Available pants have: 35 str, 25 vit
I would pass and wait for the next item level (unless it was really cheap)

Current pants have: 30 str, 20 vit
Available pants have: 35 str, 50 vit
I would buy
Edited by TheDude#1525 on 10/26/2012 4:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
shoot me an email and I will send you an excel spreadsheet with what levels "new" items stats are available, which I compiled myself from the auction house. steve@badasswraps.net. As far as stats, dont be to concerned with it too much, until late hell. If you can make it to a boss without taking too much damage, no problem. If you are short on gold, I can give you a loan to get you to the 40's.
Reply Quote
Pretty much played HC exclusively since release; I've also played a barb, the same one, and have yet to die (on the barb). I've got 60s of everything except dh, because they're awful(ly difficult to keep alive) and I'm impatient. Anyway, here's what I've come to see as benchmarks.

As previously mentioned, stay in act 3 until 30+; if you can handle mp10 by then, you can even stay until 33-34. Doing this make the next progression step much easier. Make sure that at 15 you buy a hat and weapon with sockets, and put the best red gem you can afford in there. Doing so will let you bump the mp significantly, meaning you'lll level much faster for the same content. When it comes to elites, play conservatively. I use(d) sword n board while leveling, and rend/revenge should keep you up. If you can afford a -lvl req weapon by 43-45, grab one; again, it'll make leveling infinitely easier. Don't be afraid to run away and wait on cds to re-engage.

Enjoy the moments when your screen flashes red and you live.
Reply Quote
its not rocket science just get gear when u feel you need it..... if your taking too much dmg or thing s are not dying quick enough gear up... and if you are not rolling any MP you should be able to run through normal/nm with your eyes closed
Reply Quote
Your character is only has good as your gear in D3. Always look for new AH gear.

Normal - vitality
Nightmare - vitality and your main stat (strength)
Hell (mid 50s) - vitality, strength, all resist, armor

Swapping in better gear is most important early, since you will be gaining levels fast and gaining access to new levels of gear. It is also huge in late Hell. The difficulty and gear requirements to kill monster ramps up quickly. Gain access to end-game items (which are significantly better than anything item level 59 and under) by getting reduced level requirement gear on the AH.
Reply Quote
I'd say don't bother with MP until you've made your 1st HC 60 - just try to get the hang of "how to play HC", which is quite different to SC.

You don't really need set "benchmarks" for bosses - when you're roflstomping through the elites - that's a sign that you're more than ready for the boss.

Whenever you find that you're not roflstomping - hit the AH. Very often, you can buy quite decent items at very low prices, with people just wanting to get rid of them quickly (think of it as levelling gear hand-me-downs between HC players).

Be aware of important gearing "thresholds" - i.e. the levels when key new items become available. e.g. +dmg rings at level 6; +dmg amulet at level 7, socketed gear from 15 (and many more thresholds which you'll get to know). Also weapon DPS does progress surprisingly quickly, so upgrade your weapon whenever you can.

Pre-50s just look for items with sockets, +vit, +primary stat
+dmg gear on rings / amulet are quite op too :)

Also when you're playing through you must always be thinking, even if you're completely roflstomping - what is the worst possible combo that I might encounter in the next second, and do I have the right abilities / CDs to deal with them? Playing HC is all about being prepared for the worst at every moment.
Edited by yongri#6523 on 10/27/2012 4:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thanks for the tips, everybody. I hope to post again as I hit some hardcore milestones.
Reply Quote
Just search the AH and on every search sort items by their armor level or, for weapons, by DPS. Try to stay near the top of the stack on all your gear, within a few levels. This becomes more important closer to inferno. Armor and DPS, as well as maybe a little regen and LoH/LS are all that matter early on (and, of course, primary + vitality). Remember that strength boosts armor 1:1. As for other properties, regen and + xp are nice early on but, later on, you'll need to start adding more LoH/LS; try to get at least a few hundred LoH by around 50 and try to get around 800-1000+ by 60. Start boosting your all-res beginning around the low 50's as well, with this becoming exponentially more important the closer you get to 60.; don't compromise your armor level though just to boost your all-res - you want every upgrade to be boosting at leat one without sacrificing the other. Once you've got all that in place you can start looking around at cc/cd items.
Reply Quote
Over level and over gear. Two of the most important things you can do. I also have a huge fondness for +xp gear for my leveling toons. When I'm leveling up a new toon I have a tab in the bank that has a new weapon every 5 or so levels depending, and the best +xp gear I have come across for lower level difficulties.

I also like using the blacksmith to fill slots I haven't found upgrades for in a while.

The leveling benchmarks previously posted are usually what I go by rather than exact dps/ehp numbers.
Reply Quote
Well, I figure I'll update people on my progress.

I died in the Caverns of Araneae playing on MP10, so I have finally learned my lesson and turned off MP. It will stay off.

I am taking the advice of the above poster to heart, over-leveling and over-gearing. I'm level 11, and about to take on the Skeleton King. When I actually do, assuming I win, I'll post my own EHP/DPS stats in case anyone else comes along with the same questions I had.

I just smiled when I died. Of course, that might be because I was still in A1 Normal. I hope that I'm just as tranquil when, someday, I lose a level 60 in A3 Inferno.
Reply Quote
The Skeleton King is down on Normal. I killed him very easily at level 11 with Frenzy, Ground Stomp, and Rend (with Ravage) for the adds. Ruthless for the one passive. My Templar has Heal and Loyalty, along with his default javelin and buckler. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue helmet with 23 armor and 2 strength; no shoulders; no amulet; 25 armor white chest; 21 armor white belt; 20 armor white gloves; 14 armor white bracers; no rings; 25 armor white legs; 24 armor white boots; a 56 armor white shield with 16% block chance and 13-18 block amount; and a blue sickle with +2min/+1 max damage and 2% IAS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 10 enemies, since the Returned in the Crypt of the Skeleton King are a higher level than he is [8]):

DPS: 22.78
EHP: 837
Life: 370
Armor: 250 (33.33%)
Strength: 42
Dexterity: 18
Intelligence: 18
Vitality: 29
Attacks per Second: 1.326
%Attack Speed Bonus: 0%
%Crit Chance: 10%
%Crit Damage: 100%
%DMG Increased By Skills: 0%
%Elemental Damage: 0%
All Resistance: 2 (5.3%)
%Dodge Chance: 1.8%
%Life Bonus: 0%
Life on Hit: 0
Life Steal: 0%
%Block Chance: 16%
%Melee Reduction: 0%
%Ranged Reduction: 0%
%Elite Reduction: 0%

Like I said, he went down EASY. I'll keep these up as long as I'm alive, more for the creation of benchmarks that work than any thought that this is interesting to all of you.
Reply Quote
the last few days there have been quite a few threads with ppl mentioning they are bored of sc and they want to try hc. are they hc material, they ask.

i dont mind ppl coming over to the hc side, i just hope we dont get the trolls and scammers with them. :/
Reply Quote
Well, it's easy to see why they're coming over. It's much more fun. Apologies if this thread is annoying to anybody-I assure you that, at minimum, I am neither a troll nor a scammer.
Reply Quote
I have never lost a Hardcore character

I have a lvl 60(3) monk and a 54 barbarian

Very simple philosophy.

Stack ALL skills used to keeping u alive, and passives
Barb: ignore pain, revenge, rend
Monk: serenity, light heal thing

If you EVER go below half health Use town portal and quit and load the previous act and gain 2 levels on that then upgrade ur gear.

Also as soon as your lvl 48-50 buy a lvl 60 weapon with reduced level requirement. Essentially meaning u can smash through EVERYTHING in hell difficulty.

I reached lvl 60 in Hell act 3 with my monk and the same with my barb.
Stack HP and NEVER risk it!!

Stay safe and alive and u will get tank like me.

My monk has finished inferno act 1 and smashing through act 2 PLUS I'm stacking a second set of magic find items for farming act1 inferno
Reply Quote
Queen Araneae is down on Normal. I killed her very easily at level 17 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Rend (Ravage), Threatening Shout, Revenge, and Ground Stomp (Deafening Crash). Nerves of Steel for the one passive. My Templar has Heal, Loyalty, and Charge, along with a 15 DPS blue Shiv and a 99 Armor, 19% block chance blue heater shield. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a white Leather Hood with 31 Armor; no shoulders; no amulet; 20 Armor, 7 Vitality blue Leather Doublet; 36 Armor, 15 Strength blue Harness; 23 Armor white Leather Gloves; 9 Armor, 1 Vitality blue Bracers; a 2% IAS blue Ring; 20 Armor, 5 Vitality blue Leather Pants; 26 Armor white Boots; a 101 Armor white Heater Shield with 18% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a yellow Sickle with +2-3 Fire damage, 6 Strength, 2% IAS, and +4 Life on Kill, with 14.6 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 13 enemies):

DPS: 27.3
EHP: 1953
Life: 644
Armor: 399 (38.04%)
Strength: 79
Dexterity: 24
Intelligence: 24
Vitality: 54
Attacks per Second: 1.35252
%Attack Speed Bonus: 2%
%Crit Chance: 5%
%Crit Damage: 50%
All Resistance: 3 (4.97%)
%Dodge Chance: 2.4%
%Block Chance: 18%

Araneae got facerolled, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. Overleveling for the win.
Reply Quote
The Butcher is down on Normal. I killed him at level 18 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Rend (Ravage), Threatening Shout, Revenge, and Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash). Nerves of Steel for the one passive. My Templar has Heal, Loyalty, and Charge, along with a 16.5 DPS white Short Dagger and a 107 Armor, 18% block chance white Heater Shield. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Coif with 36 Armor and 8 Intelligence; a blue Leather Mantle with 46 Armor and 2 Vitality; no amulet; a 20 Armor, 7 Vitality blue Leather Doublet; 29 Armor, 8 Vitality blue Warrior Belt; 31 Armor, 10 Vitality, 3 IAS blue Hide Gloves; 28 Armor, 1% Critical Chance blue Bindings; a 2% IAS blue Ring; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; 34 Armor, 11 Vitality blue Hide Breeches; 35 Armor, 6 Vitality blue Heavy Boots; a 98 Armor, 10 Vitality blue Heater Shield with 15% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a white Carver with 18.3 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 16 enemies):

DPS: 31.76
EHP: 3672
Life: 1178
Armor: 525 (39.62%)
Strength: 61
Dexterity: 25
Intelligence: 33
Vitality: 107
Attacks per Second: 1.596
%Attack Speed Bonus: 5%
%Crit Chance: 6%
All Resistance: 4 (5.1%)
%Dodge Chance: 2.5%
%Block Chance: 15%

The Butcher was an easy kill, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I made a point of dodging the charges and overhead smash, as well as the fire pits, but I tanked his other moves and was just fine.
Reply Quote
If you're dying in normal, with any character at all but especially with a barb, then you're a terrible player and you're doing something horribly wrong. You need to go back to the drawing board and completely rethink everything you think you know about D3 in particular and even gaming in general.

You do NOT need to buy gear every few levels. You do not need to buy any gear at all in normal or even in nightmare, though it can help a lot by late nightmare.

Hard benchmarks do not exist and, even if they did exist, they wouldn't really help someone who's dying in normal. You should be able to do all of A1 normal naked with a dagger (except maybe the two bosses). I'd advise going back to softcore, turning on MP, and playing naked until you can stay alive, then come back to hardcore.

You should try to stay equipped in gear that's close to your level. Pay special attention to keeping up your armor. Strength gives armor 1:1 so it's an important stat even for nonstrength builds. Search the merchants as much as you can. Look for a socketed weapon by the high teens. Life on hit from amethysts in weapons is important and is probably better than rubies if you're poor and can't get enough life or protection other ways.
Reply Quote
Video of a level one (1) demonhunter slaying the Butcher with a bow, belt, bracers, and nothing else.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW5UW_GoQ84
Edited by JP2U#1414 on 11/6/2012 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
Maghda is down on Normal. I killed her at level 22 with Frenzy (Sidearm), Furious Charge, Threatening Shout, Revenge (Vengeance is Mine), Ground Stomp (Wrenching Smash), and Earthquake. Nerves of Steel and Inspiring Presence as the passives. My Enchantress has Forceful Push and Powered Armor, along with a 22.6 DPS white Dervish, a 2 Vitality blue Ring, and a 7 Intelligence blue Ring. I'm using entirely self-found gear; a blue Coif with 41 Armor and 8 Intelligence; white Shoulder Guards with 66 Armor; a 12 Dexterity blue Amulet; a 58 Armor, 22 Vitality blue Chain Mail; a 34 Armor, 8 Vitality blue Harness; 31 Armor, 10 Vitality, 3 IAS blue Hide Gloves; 29 Armor, 17 Vitality blue Bindings; a 10 Vitality blue Ring; a 17 Vitality blue Ring; 34 Armor, 11 Vitality blue Hide Breeches; 35 Armor, 6 Vitality blue Heavy Boots; a 98 Armor, 10 Vitality blue Heater Shield with 15% block chance and 19-31 block amount; and a white Mace with 23.7 DPS. Meanwhile, my stats are as follows, from the detailed DPS/EHP calculator at d3rawr.com (versus level 18 enemies):

DPS: 43.16
EHP: 5805
Life: 1744
Armor: 694 (43.54%)
Strength: 73
Dexterity: 41
Intelligence: 37
Vitality: 162
Attacks per Second: 1.4317
%Attack Speed Bonus: 3%
%Crit Chance: 5%
All Resistance: 4 (4.96%)
%Dodge Chance: 4.1%
%Block Chance: 15%

Maghda was an extremely easy kill, with me near maximum Health the entire time without having to pop a potion. I essentially tanked everything, even her adds, and never had any problems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]