Diablo® III

Guide to Key farming

I've just completed a grid that gives you the best MP level to farm depending on your type of player

http://convert.neevia.com/docs/e299bc1a-57ed-49d4-b3d7-6a50f6174159/diablo%203%20farming%20grid1.jpg
Edited by Ghost#1262 on 10/26/2012 9:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Interesting. I like the theory.

I'm not sure I like the third chart. I presume you're scaling clear time based on monster health increases, but I don't think it really changes that way.

For example, for me, clearing to a KW would be almost identical in MP0-2. MP2 and 3 are still very very quick. MP4 and 5 are slower, and MP6 would probably take me 2-3x as long as MP5 because of the way the resource management works and because of the increased likelihood of dying. It may make more sense for players to determine for themselves what their clear times are and then plug in the other information.
Reply Quote
I got a key from MP0 in a multi game in Act 3. I was surprised.
Reply Quote
Ya maybe your right, Theses charts are general, race of char, type of build and kind of gaers will make a lot of difference.

But for a DH like me, only DPS matters cuz i die in 2 hits at mp3 and more. So the progression is must be more linear for a DH. So maybe this third chart only apply for DH.
Reply Quote
Ya maybe your right, Theses charts are general, race of char, type of build and kind of gaers will make a lot of difference.

But for a DH like me, only DPS matters cuz i die in 2 hits at mp3 and more. So the progression is must be more linear for a DH. So maybe this third chart only apply for DH.

Probably so unless you are running out of discipline and dying before finishing off monsters. The binomial distribution chart of chance to get at least 1 is helpful.

If you're interested, I actually wrote a program so simulate the key hunt and to calculate how many total key runs would be needed to make a ring (on average).

Details here:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794321177
Reply Quote
So if I take about 30 mins on MP3 to get the KW I'm a type 4, meaning ideally I should be running MP5?
Reply Quote
10/26/2012 09:21 AMPosted by MoonUnit
So if I take about 30 mins on MP3 to get the KW I'm a type 4, meaning ideally I should be running MP5?

exactly
Reply Quote
nice resume. Yes its a good summary. We can combine time of play from my chart and numbers of runs from yours to give how much time to forge a hellfire ring
Edited by Ghost#1262 on 10/26/2012 9:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I messed around with this some to give you some results, Ghost =)

I usually do my runs like this:
Act 1, a fairly comfortable MP5, as the enemies are relatively simple and mob density is low
Act 2, MP 2/3 (screw A2)
Act 3, MP 3/4 (mobs are a bit tougher than A1 mobs)

Did my 5 runs in Act 2 at MP2. I chose MP2 partly to make it quick and partly because I hate A2...okay, so thus entirely to make it quick. I chose Act 2 because...well, because I hate it and was most interested in how to make it specifically as efficient as possible ;)

Runs were 9, 12, 12, 11, and 9 minutes. Closer to 11.6 than 9.5 (though I'd have rounded it up even if it wasn't), so that gave me Type 7.

Type 7 suggested MP6, and suggested that runs would likely average about 23 minutes. I was skeptical (and scared) but gave it a go:

My run took 39, which is a fairly big gap. This might actually have been a reasonably fast run for me, because I found the keywarden quite quickly and just needed to go find stacks, and thus wasted no time on extra packs while looking for him.

Of course, I did spend a short amount of time dealing with 2 packs sitting on top of the Dahlgur Oasis waypoint (I did not even get a chance to move before they were on me). They looked like this:

Yellow Snake Pack:
Frozen, Waller, Nightmarish, Vampiric

Blue Shaman Pack:
Frozen, Jailer, Plagued, Electrified.

This didn't waste much time due to how ridiculously quickly they'd murder me. Granted, I'm not using the most mobile build there is, but even being able to vault and smokescreen out of CC wouldn't have mattered with that much of it and with it being right on the waypoint with no room to work with.

I let them kill me 3 times before giving up because the Vampiric snake guy was at 100% health from all the killings, and headed to the Path waypoint instead.

Found the key warden almost immediately, managed to avoid pulling him, and made note of his location. Then I gathered stacks. Individual packs went much better than I expected. I did not die to any of these packs, nor to the Warden.

I actually expected to take a lot longer than 39 minutes (and possibly to be unable to do it at all), so even though I will not try Act 2 at MP6 again any time soon, I am happy that I did this.

Also, he dropped my key, so there is that! ;)

-----------------------

I think part of the reason it's so much slower for me at MP6 than just the health increase would suggest is that I'm not as comfortable skipping packs. I need more space to move to deal with the elites and their ground effects which pile up when they live so long, and having those little guys getting in the way while fighting an MP6 elite can be problematic. Also, the tendency to encounter multiple packs right on top of eachother is tougher to deal with at higher MP levels. I'd have laughed (well, comparatively, it would have been doable) at those two packs on that waypoint on MP2.

Maybe you can find a way to account for things like the little damage increase enemies get for each MP level?

-------------------------

Oh, and I think I will start running A2 at a higher MP level than currently, regardless. =)

Thank you!

Oh, if Armory is still showing my Nat's hat, it's outdated. I have a little more damage than that. The build is right, though.
Edited by Tiakatt#1643 on 10/26/2012 12:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]