Diablo® III

Black screen. Monitor loses signal.

I don't know what causes it, but it's only been happening after the patch. It's happened 3 times, the screen will just go black and it's like my entire computer crashes, and the monitor says there's no signal detected. I have to hit my power button to restart, and it's really annoying I hope this gets figured out or has so I can actually play.
Reply Quote
No one else has this problem?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heazt,

This symptom could be caused by the video card or cpu overheating.

I suggest downloading and running HWMonitor from http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.20-setup.exe

Now start the game and let it run several minutes. Then exit or alt-tab out and see what the highest temperature in Celsius is that was reached for the gpu (video card) and cpu.
Reply Quote
I have 2 GTS 240 GPU's

One is running at 83c and the other is at 73c and my CPU is at 45c.

My computer has always ran pretty hot and never crashed, but I've never experienced this problem until yesterday when I started playing again.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heazt,

Hmm, While those temps are well within the specs listed for the maximum, there's no way to tell if the card has experienced stress earlier on that may influence it's particular heat range.

Use a utility to increase the gpu fans up to 80-100% (I know it's going to be loud) and see if the game is stable then. Check the temps again too to see how much they go down.

If you need a way to bump the fans up, consider MSI's Afterburner located here: http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm
Reply Quote
I set the fan speed to 100% and it lowered the temp a little, but then I opened game and did a quick run through and my max was 102c and averaged 93c. I guess I can't play this game anymore then if it's a hardware issue. But so many other people are suddenly having this same problem I swear D3 seems to be more demanding than it was before the patch, but I don't know much about this stuff.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it, I have a couple questions if it's not a problem.

My 2nd gpu runs at a constant 50-60c like it's not even being used, is there a possibility to take the load off the primary gpu? Would that lower the temp of the primary gpu? I didn't build my computer it's a Dell XPS, and I figured why not have 2 gpu's, but I don't even know if the secondary is even being used.

Is it hopeless? What could possibly be an upgrade, or fix to my computer to get the temps down?

I also downloaded the Kombuster application, it seems to be a way to test your gpu and it had gpu0 at 90% and gpu1 was at 0%.
Edited by Heazt#1457 on 10/29/2012 3:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heazt,

It reached a higher temp after raising the gpu fan speed??

In the in-game settings. disable the fps limiters if they're in use and enable vertical sync. See what that does to the temps. If they're already disabled, enable them and set the foreground to 30 and background to 8 as a starting point.

If you have SLI enabled, disable it. The game doesn't really take advantage of it. You do this in the Nvidia Control Panel.
Reply Quote
When I originally said 83c that was just not doing anything intensive like fighting giant hoards of demons haha, I did that on the recent trials and found out I was exceeding 100c. Raising the fan speed did not make my temp go up.

SLI was already disabled.

foreground FPS at 30; background at 8 (Also set all the graphics to low or off/Fan at 100%) - Max temp is 95 and hovers around 89

vertical sync on; fps limiters off - Max temp 100 and hovers around 93

don't know if the crashing is fixed or not I'll have to play with it a bit, maybe with the new patch for some reason I just can't handle high gfx anymore.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Heazt,

It's still way too hot. I'd remove the cards and give the fans and heatsink assemblies a good cleaning out with a can of compressed air. Your main gpu may just have a messed up fan too. You might remove that card and just use the second one to see how it performs and see how hot it gets.
Reply Quote
Haha this will be interesting, I'll keep you updated.
Reply Quote
Okay pretty much cleaned my gpu fans that weren't too bad, and I'm just leaving the side of my case open and opened up the back a little bit for more air flow, getting about 65c just chilling as opposed to 85c. Haven't had any crashes so thanks for your help in figuring out what could possibly have been the problem.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]