Diablo® III

Magic Find is helping... at least for me

Well I had MF gear (maxed) and no uniques for 2 months. I removed MF and now I got 7 uniques in 1 day.

MF is noticable for yellow gear. But 99% of that gear is bad.
Reply Quote
Mf is eh.
Reply Quote
Since 1.0.5 I have found 8 legendaries, 2 of which are set weapons (Chantodo's Will and the barb's boulder crusher). That is with 300MF in Act III monster power 2.

Before 1.0.5 I had like 270-280 MF and I only found 4-5 legendaries.
Reply Quote
Indeed, I'm finding many more Brimstones with higher MF.
Reply Quote
65 Undead Hunter
11/02/2012 02:22 AMPosted by Equallizer
If your doing 91k damage with your barb why would you even do mp0 or mp1. I run mp6 pretty fast with my barb and normally find 2-3 legendarys a run and mostly all lvl 63's. mp0-mp4 I one hit kill most things so why would you not just do a higher mp to start with.

Because MP1-0 is quicker yielding more drops and quick exp
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:32 PMPosted by korn7809
Now just if there was a way to increase the quality of the item (ex. the roll on the stats them self)

I'm getting sick of seeing item level 61-63 rares with sub 100 stat rolls on it. Also still really angry about the fact that class-only items roll with useless stats on them (Monk gear with Intellect, DH gear with Strength, Wizard/WD gear with Dex, and Barb gear with Intellect).
Reply Quote
I am also enjoying MF, find a nice mix of it as I lvl up to be helpful. I have received 2x immortal kings drops and made enough to get my helm. I would say it’s much better with the MP lvl's as well. I get much better stuff at MP 5 or higher.

If you can get your templar or what ever minion you want up to like 29% boost to you that helped. As well reach about 25% on self that will give you a good base. Try to reach paragon lvl 25 as well. This is not hard to do or expensive - just takes some time to grind.

Once your gear is good enough to get MP lvl’s it just keeps getting better.
Reply Quote
glad to see a positive thread on MF. Yesterday I pulled in 7 legendary items on MP0 Act 3 @327%MF incl a usable Manticore and a Tal Rasha Off-hand. Had some decent rares too. Found a fist weapon w/ 930dps that had Crit Dmg 70%+, LOH, LS, 100 Dex, Vit.
11/02/2012 06:03 AMPosted by Kahlan
Now just if there was a way to increase the quality of the item (ex. the roll on the stats them self)

I'm getting sick of seeing item level 61-63 rares with sub 100 stat rolls on it. Also still really angry about the fact that class-only items roll with useless stats on them (Monk gear with Intellect, DH gear with Strength, Wizard/WD gear with Dex, and Barb gear with Intellect).
you have my characters name :D
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 11/2/2012 7:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:30 PMPosted by Coleslaw
This is encouraging to hear! Now that I’ve really started working on my Magic Find set, I can’t wait to see how it changes the drops I’m able to score.

Magic find does not affect the drop rate that happens, correct? Only the rolls?

The opposite actually - MF increases drop rates but does not affect the rolls.
Reply Quote
man, this is just ridiculous. Why some blue in EU stated that MF does not affect the drop rates of Leg/Set?
Reply Quote
I find that once I go over 400mf my luck turns when it comes to legs...
Reply Quote
yeah my WD toon is loving the drop rates now... I have found some pretty nice stuff to outfit my other toons too...
I was running about 250mf prior to 1.05 and never found much ever.
Lots of rares but I am talking about 4 legendaries after leveling 5 characters to 60 and all were sub lvl 50.
Now, I get a legendary every third run / 50% are good to really good the others are just garbage but hey its still fun to get them.
---
its not as easy as D2 to get items but its not like your banging your head against a wall anymore.

edit: as far as I understand MF does not affect the # items found only the quality of the items... so when the computer rolls the item and it gets say a white ... your MF may bump that up to a yellow... hope thats an easy explanation of what MF does... as I understand it.
Edited by Claimguy#1853 on 11/2/2012 10:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Grimiku
This is encouraging to hear! Now that I’ve really started working on my Magic Find set, I can’t wait to see how it changes the drops I’m able to score.

So why have your friends in the Developer community decided that the best course of action was to "slowly phase magic find out" because it "isn't very fun?"

This was, as explained to us by Blizzard reps, one of the design decisions behind the Paragon Leveling system.

With no ladder seasons announced (and as far as we know even planned for) the community as a whole eventually reaches higher and higher paragon levels nullifying magic find because it gets capped.

I for one was a huge fan of magic finding in Diablo 2.. The mechanic IS fun, and yes you are supposed to sacrifice power and efficiency for magic find. That's the name of the game folks.

So since you also seem to be excited about magic find, maybe you can pass the good word to the folks on the dev team to remove this cap?
Reply Quote
From what I've observed, higher magic find just ends up meaning more rare drops with mediocre-moderate rolls, and way more blue drops that are absolutely worthless. So for me I think I just get more of crappy things.
Reply Quote
I've been running MAX MF for a while. Avering one legendary item per run (Heart of Sin), sometimes two.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 01:17 AMPosted by Laokin

Magic find does not affect the drop rate that happens, correct? Only the rolls?

Backwards, It affects the drop rate, NOT the rolls.

Incorrect; as has been pointed out many times, your MF affects the quality of your drop, nothing more. When you successfully roll for an item to drop, the game server queries the Item ID server for an item off a pre-rolled list. There are many items on the list, which have an "Item Budget", essentially. The game rolls a die, which I'm guessing is a 25,000-sided die, and your magic find is added to that roll, and then the pre-generated list is queried with your exact roll, and the Item ID server parses that out, and voila, your item drops from the game server.

So, because the chance you could roll the same number is 1-in-25,000- that it is to say, it's not impossible, every once in a while the same item will be returned off the pre-generated list. Which, lucky you, your MF helped you to get.
Reply Quote
The whole thing with MF is you get more crappy legs and rares, but that in itself gives you a better chance of one of those drops being an epic one.
Reply Quote
Word to the mf. I generally roll with max mf when I'm doing mp 1 runs, and just yesterday I got two legendaries and a set item in like a ten minute span of time. :D
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 10:34 AMPosted by Carthorn
The whole thing with MF is you get more crappy legs and rares, but that in itself gives you a better chance of one of those drops being an epic one.
More legs and rares period, the majority of which happen to be naturally crappy. Just to clarify since some people still seem confused about how mf works.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]