Diablo® III

Oceania servers?

Will we ever see servers situated more towards Australia and New Zealand? To be honest 200 ping just doesn't cut it for D3, especially when you're a CMWW wizard like me.

The latest CC changes have made it so that the 200ms latency reduces the time I have to reset my freeze's cooldown by half, making my job harder than it should be.

I'm not saying that the game is unplayable though. It would just be nice to have that little latency advantage that Americans and Europeans have.
Reply Quote
It won't happen costs too much end of story.
Reply Quote
MVP - Diablo III
View profile
The problem is blizzards server structure, they do whole clusters(a lot of computers) for all games, D3/WoW/SC2 no one server for one, they tried that with SC2 in Asia and it turned out horrible because the routing to Asia in Australia is generally worse then it is to US.

It all comes down to if blizzard can find a cost effective way to deploy single servers, but the problem with that is they still have to hire a local team to maintain etc said servers. SO it is more then the cost of just plugging a server in down here.
Reply Quote
The problem is blizzards server structure, they do whole clusters(a lot of computers) for all games, D3/WoW/SC2 no one server for one, they tried that with SC2 in Asia and it turned out horrible because the routing to Asia in Australia is generally worse then it is to US.

It all comes down to if blizzard can find a cost effective way to deploy single servers, but the problem with that is they still have to hire a local team to maintain etc said servers. SO it is more then the cost of just plugging a server in down here.

I understand the need for having the server in the US and agree with the decision. But lately, the lag spike is horrible. Being a CM wiz in pursuit for more attack speed, I have hit a brick wall. My best latency is around 230ms. But during the evening time, latency always at 340+ ms and spike to 2k+.

As a CM, I spam FN, EB, DS and WW almost instantly. Due to the 340+ ms latency, a lot of those casting aren't register at all. I have to settle for 2.52 aps with 59% CC as anything about that attack speed is useless. I do have gears and skill to get to 3.1 aps. I can see that my FN is refreshed but spamming it will not cast it.

My mate compare my gears to that of a CM in based in the US and he said that I have much better gears, but I can't lock the uber down like him.

Since making a server for Oceania is out of the question. Can I suggest a solution? Not sure if it will work.

I have been looking into Battleping and Smoothping. As they explain it: The traffic between here and the US get travel differently depending on whether it is being encrypted or not. Encrypted signal get propriety on the traffic. I believe this might be true. As in the evening, a lot more people are online, so D3 signal(being none encrypted) get put on a queue, thus the lag spike.

It is possible for Blizzard to implement a service like Battleping or Smoothping? The cost for this shouldn't be much at all. Or even implement it as part of the D3 client.

I hope that you can relay this idea to them please?

Thanks
Reply Quote
Community Manager
It is possible for Blizzard to implement a service like Battleping or Smoothping? The cost for this shouldn't be much at all. Or even implement it as part of the D3 client.
This is something I will relay back. Usually we would never recommend a third party service within a product though. Oceania servers are not off the table, but it also isn't a quick fix. Will know more details early next year.
Reply Quote
........ next year. :(

Just to let you know arc, now all my frens wouldnt party up with me coz they lag like hell when they do. dunno if it is an aussie thing. Now it is basically a solo game for me, so even offline mode would do exactly the same for me.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 07:02 PMPosted by Arcagnion
Oceania servers are not off the table, but it also isn't a quick fix. Will know more details early next year.

Interesting...

The most that has ever been said regarding this issue.
Reply Quote
Even if there was an Oceanic server I wouldn't play on it based on past experience all bloody Aussies are whining bastards, and kiwis are idiots. I am a kiwi.

I would rather play with yanks on US West with my 400 ms ping and leech from their ruined economy.
Edited by nobody#6956 on 11/8/2012 9:03 PM PST
Reply Quote
i play alone. so for me ill play on a local server.
Reply Quote
This is something I will relay back.

Well let’s hope you do and this is not just your once monthly showing to say g’day.

And please try and bring us more than “it’s not off the table” for your visit next month.
Reply Quote
My grandson plays SWTOR which has Aus servers based in Sydney so the old excuse of "too expensive" is not true.

11/08/2012 09:01 PMPosted by nobody
and kiwis are idiots. I am a kiwi

You just explained yourself.
Reply Quote
let us not pick over petty comments which mean nothing excepting for children
Reply Quote
This is something I will relay back. Usually we would never recommend a third party service within a product though. Oceania servers are not off the table, but it also isn't a quick fix. Will know more details early next year.

Its been like 8 years since WoW, and still no sign of real Oceania based servers. Good luck convincing Whomever is in charge of this to finally agree to add Oceania based servers...

I want to play my DH again ( its got to be the most annoying class to play with high latency )
Edited by Mike#1832 on 11/9/2012 6:00 AM PST
Reply Quote

Just a FYI, I personally find the lag annoying. It has degraded my enjoyment of this game and of the other Blizzard product, World of Warcraft.

I am someone who has played WoW since it first came out and I always hated the fact my lag was around 250-300ms (West Aussie here). It came to a head at the end of Cataclysm and I subsequently stopped playing thinking I might get the urge to play again. That potential thought has dwindled to nothing. I have just cancelled my subscription that has been running for years and I don't foresee myself ever re-subscribing.

My play time for D3 has dropped off sharply as well because I can't be bothered with the ping issue.

Any Blizzard employee is free to check my history and keep tabs on my account to see if I'm just talking crap.

So please pass the feedback along Arc, I have already mentioned in my subscription cancellation the exact same thing I mentioned above. The lag is the direct result of losing a long time paying customer. I really enjoy D3/WoW but I find I get frustrated playing a game that's meant to relax me.

Cheerio.
Edited by SilverAx#1112 on 11/9/2012 6:38 AM PST
Reply Quote
It helps to live near an exchange or just in a city. Then have a good provider. Im with Internode in ACT and very, very rarely do I experience lag. Yeah, ping says 180-210ping but that isn't too reliable.

I feel sorry for those in the sticks.

Also, Iv heard Optus is pretty bad when it comes to games. Gamers need to be selective with providers in Aus.
Reply Quote
Now, the real question is, if they did get an aussie server, would anyone play on it?
Even me, with crappy items and not much to show for my countless hours played, would restart with nothing.
Most people here have invested hundreds of hours, and (for some) hundreds of dollars.
Reply Quote
I don't see why we cant a Aussie server ONLY when playing an actual game. But remain coonected with the US server for when not in game eg: AH/Rmah/Character Screen.

An aussie server shouldnt mean we need to lose our characters.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 09:17 PMPosted by IceEagle
Now, the real question is, if they did get an aussie server, would anyone play on it?

I would for hardcore.

Not sure about softcore even if they offered a once only port for current toons.
If it worked like it should, no lag, rubber banding or disconnects, probably yes.
Seeing people close to the servers seem to be having these problems also (just not as bad)could only call after try it.
Reply Quote
11/08/2012 03:34 AMPosted by Mownan
It won't happen costs too much end of story.

Biggest crock of !@#$e I could hear. "Too much costs". That's why companies like Bioware and Mythic could somehow implement Oceanic servers and their turn-over isn't anywhere near Blizzard's.

11/08/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Hypersonic
Oceania servers are not off the table, but it also isn't a quick fix. Will know more details early next year.

Interesting...

The most that has ever been said regarding this issue.

It basically means "get your hopes up, but it won't really happen".
Edited by Ashpool#6387 on 11/12/2012 2:52 PM PST
Reply Quote
More along the lines of,... ill string you along to keep enough interest in the game happening. Then when something good like the expansion or PvP comes along. I WILL CRUSH YOUR HOPES AND DREAMS! But, you will forget all about it, because we all knew it would happen anyway, and continue with our disgust.

I love the Diablo franchise and was a little bit ignorant when it came to purchasing it. Didnt realise fully what DRM meant and given the servers, it unfortunately means i will look twice at buying something from Blizzard again. That's not to say im not happy with the game etc, just wont be buying another one if its run on the same systems.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]