Diablo® III

MONK or DH...30m Budget

So here's the deal. I want easy MP0 and MP1 runs, minimal deaths. I also want to farm Hellfire ring eventually.

Which class is more efficient at doing this? I could care less about personal appeal etc.

Remember...30m budget so none of that "But any class is good if you gear well enough" BS. Sorry, I have neither the time nor the credit cards to do that.
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I play monk so you know what im gonna say. my brother plays a DH and has better(pricier) gear and dies 5 times more than me.

he's faster, im consistent

hope this helps
Reply Quote
Monk is better at uber bosses with a cheap budget. Make sure you get around 700 resists and 1500 loh with your weapons at around 2 speed(requires lots of IAS). That should let you tank ubers up to mp4 at least.

Dh is also more skill dependent at a lower level of gear.
Edited by hampster#1586 on 11/13/2012 9:35 PM PST
Reply Quote
i carried 3 dhs tonight thru ubers mp5 (well, 2 of em at least, 1 was decently geared)

only had trouble on the second one, i'd say go for monk, get the best gear possible for your budget but know that gearing a monk up to the best gear possible costs a LOT of gold.. i've been playing mine since release.

mp0 and 1 is a joke for me, even with my old gear which was

innas belt/pants
skorn with 220 dex 1 soc 200% crit dmg and 5% life steal
vile ward
strong arm bracers
had a crappy rare helm with +dex +resists socket ect
old rare (1.04) amulet with low crit/same with rings
off the top of my head
Edited by plouyd#1632 on 11/13/2012 9:53 PM PST
Reply Quote
Hmmm interesting. I'm not having a lot of luck with my monk on MP1... I'm not that fast, and I still die to some mobs such as reflect damage/molten/desecrate/arcane
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:15 PMPosted by GreyGoose
Hmmm interesting. I'm not having a lot of luck with my monk on MP1... I'm not that fast, and I still die to some mobs such as reflect damage/molten/desecrate/arcane

Your loh/resists/vit are lacking. If you wanted to get any innas then pants + helm would have been a far better combo.

Echoing is not ideal at all for lowend damage. It's used when you have enough damage for a bit of lifesteal to sustain you, it's also used if you do enough damage to not care about fear. The fear can actually make fights tougher and longer while making you do overall less DPS. Try replacing it with a 1 hand that has 800+ loh.

Don't forget to focus on AR too. You need that 700 or so resist to start seeing good results overall. You also need that extra 800 or so loh.
Edited by hampster#1586 on 11/13/2012 10:24 PM PST
Reply Quote
Would be interested to hear what a DH would have to say
Reply Quote
Can get like a 60k dps monk easy sauce with 30mil. 60-80k dps probably. And you will die 10 times less than a similarly geared DH.
Reply Quote
Depends what you wanna do really, I think you could make a DH for MP1/0 and plow through it faster than the monk. As far as ubers though, a monks probably your best bet, but idk how good of a monk 30m will get you since i don't have a monk
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Amiar
Can get like a 60k dps monk easy sauce with 30mil. 60-80k dps probably. And you will die 10 times less than a similarly geared DH.

Interesting...what kind of armor/ all res should I have? I'm currently at 610 AR and 4.4k Armor
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 10:34 PMPosted by GreyGoose
Would be interested to hear what a DH would have to say
I would tell you to go DH if what you want to do is MP0 or 1. DH has the best damage mitigation skills that works at the lowest MP levels which means gear is not going to be pricey at all, you get to retain higher damage output than a Monk can produce and have survivability at the same time. I'll even go as far and say that DH offers BETTER survivability. I'll go ahead and explain why here:

Gear:
3pc Natalya's (Helm/Chest/Boots)
2pc Inna's (Belt/Pants)
1x Windforce (100CD or socket + Radiant Star Emerald)
Dead Man's Legacy (19-20IAS, 10CC, Hungering or Elemental Arrow bonus)
Lacuni Prowlers
Vile Ward
Jewelry: Wep Dmg, IAS, CC (or Dex in place of Wep Dmg)
Gloves Dex, AR, CC, CD or Dex/AR/IAS/CC

With Natalya's, you can buy these pieces for DIRT CHEAP. You can literally buy the cheapest Helm and Boots that have no Vit on them and it'll be A-OK. The chestpiece needs 90-100Vit but that should still be a cheap buy, like a few mil.

On Inna's, the belt can be the cheapest roll, pants needs 90-100Vit similar to chestpiece. Fill out the slots with a Star at least. The idea is that you want to hit the set bonuses for these two sets. 3pc Nats' will give you 7% Crit and 130 Dex. 2pc Inna's will give you 130 Dex along with IAS, move speed and 2 Crit

Windforce, since patch, these have become a lot cheaper and easier to find, so an 1100, 100CD or socket+emerald is more affordable these days. Try to go for 100CD since emerald prices rose back up.

For Lacuni's, cheapest Dex or Dex/Vit roll is okay.

If you gear correctly, you should have over 300 all resist and somewhere around 55-59% Armor so lets move onto spec:

Main: Hungering Arrow/Devouring Arrow
Secondary: Elemental Arrow/Nether Tentacles (or Ball Lightning, NT is better survivability)
Sentry/Guardian Turret - provides 15% Damage Reduction or Vigilance Watcher for more DPS and less survivability.
Companion/Boar - adds more to AR and armor
Shadow Power/Gloom - 35% Damage Resistance and 12% Lifesteal, your main bread and butter survival ability. Expect to be in this mode almost all times. 12LS goes excellent with 3LS on Windforce and 3 from NT giving you total of 19% LS
Preparation/Focused Mind - gives you the effect of Legacy Natalya's. Due to the duration of Gloom, natural disc regen and low CD of Prep, by the time you actually spend all of your disc, the cooldown on Prep is finished and you can do it again. BOOM Legacy Nats w/o Legacy set.

Passives:
Custom Engineering - 3 Turrets = more DPS. You can substitute this for Archery which provides more weapon damage but your sentries are covering less area and hitting less targets
Numbing Traps - reduces damage enemies deal by 20% when hit by Sentries. Huge survivability passive and this setup could actually take you to MP3 while solo and MP4/5 in group. In Ubers, you're indispensable as the reduced dmg is saving everyone else's life as well
Perfectionist - more AR, armor/life, and your disc abilities cost less which helps with maximizing SP/Gloom usage before you have to hit Prep.

For me, I've brought this spec up to 83-97,000 DPS (real, no dps booster passives) and if I decide to run a kite/burst build, I have 195,000 DPS that can one shot elites in MP0-1.

edit: forgot to say that effectively, dps is higher than 97k due to the sentries not being reflected on the dps sheet. The sentries depending on your APS/Dex and Weapon Dmg, can easily be worth 50k dps each.
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 11/13/2012 11:19 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monk is better at uber bosses with a cheap budget. Make sure you get around 700 resists and 1500 loh with your weapons at around 2 speed(requires lots of IAS). That should let you tank ubers up to mp4 at least.

Dh is also more skill dependent at a lower level of gear.

I disagree. My DH does just fine and 30 mil easily buys her gear.

I face-tank. I LoH like a bastard. I do maybe 40k damage. Don't pay attention to the bracer though. I just found that today. Find something that you equip? INORITE?

Priorities: 1) Res-all. 2)LoH. 3) main stat. 4) vit.
Everything else is optional.
Don't buyout anything. Use bids.

What I love about this DH is vault. It helps you save so much time and I actually now prefer it over my barb (especially since barb gear is way overpriced due to demand).

Edit: ah perfect. Armory hasn't updated. You can buy all of this gear for 4 mil in the AH and it facetanks mp1 all the way through no problem.
Edited by Stinkyfinger#1801 on 11/14/2012 12:01 AM PST
Reply Quote
if you want efficiency play the Barbarian

otherwise choose whatever class suits your playstyle
Reply Quote
Barbs are the obvious choice...
Reply Quote
I played both DH and Monk.

For me, Monk is more fun and lives better. I have mediocre gear, and I can run MP4 easily, MP8 is doable but tough.

My DH couldn't do jack with (then) better gear.
Reply Quote
Hmm perhaps...but I fear the nerfhammer is coming soon for barbs.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 11:25 PMPosted by GreyGoose
Hmm perhaps...but I fear the nerfhammer is coming soon for barbs.
Even if that happens, my Barb is still kick !@# b/c I don't use WW spec all the time. My Hammer of the Ancients spec is pretty fun to play and one shots both normal and elites in MP0 almost instantaneously and I'm using el-cheapo gear to boot!

It's quite ridiculous actually cause I can literally walk to a spot, press Earthquake and stuff melts like butter. If it isn't dead by the end of the effect, HotA does 300,000 damage per hit, I GAIN fury instead of spending it, and each hit heals me 5000HP rofl!
Edited by speedforce#1637 on 11/13/2012 11:32 PM PST
Reply Quote
Monk all the way it's my best of all 5 classes 30 mill kinda low my weps cost that. My IAS is 2.02 my AR is over 700 my LOH is 1200, and my vit is 35k. I solo MP 5 and 6 key farms. I switch skills for ubers go to hard target and thunder clap, as well as dashing strike to get to or out of kulle bubbles. and magda's arcane. DPS 62k once i hit 75k I will be doing mp 7 or 8. Don't really have any issue with RD but my DPS isn't 100k RD does a lot of damage with that much DPS.

Actually looking at your monk your gear is pretty decent weps are fast maybe some more IAS just upgrade to the top tier gems and you should be all set. Arcane builds are expensive because it besides fire does the most damage.

Nice regen BTW 1245 that's nice.
Reply Quote
My monk is absolute garbage right now. What am I doing wrong?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]