Diablo® III

5 GREAT IMPROVEMENTS that take 5 mins to code

As a software engineer, it is hard for me to turn off my 'coding' hat when I play this game. And even though I liked a lot of changes in 1.04 and 1.05, they seemed to require a ton of game development to execute. It took a lot of people a lot of time to create the Hellfire plot and then bring it to life.

So, here's a list of five very very simple changes that Blizzard could make with very little effort that -- in my opinion -- would make the game significantly more fun and playable for the long run...

They could make them all tomorrow and it would take barely any engineering time...

1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

This one is a no-brainer. How annoying is it when you pick up a lvl63 legendary weapon, only to realize that it is cannot possibly roll anything good. Take the Azurewrath for example. No respectable barb would use this weapon, not even as an offhand. Blizzard spent all this time developing a cool weapon, but it's basically DOA. Now, what if you got an Azurewrath with a +1 affix, and that affix was a socket? That would change everything. Thousands of people would use it as an offhand and totally build around it. Same with Skysplitter and many others. If they had just one more affix, they could be godly. But as it stands now, it is a guaranteed losing roll.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

This one is also super simple and would make the game so much more lasting. Most good D3 players have spent the last four months farming Act 3, and we would love to change scenery by doing Act 1 more often. But the monster density is too low to get the XP and drops we need. The halls of the dungeons feel empty. Double the number of skeletons and the problem goes away. Super simple. Just do it.

3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

Here's an example...

For Barbarians, make it so that Intelligence increases your max fury, magic find, and slightly reduces your skill recharge times. Make it so that Dexterity slightly increases your attack speed and slightly increases your movement speed.

Every 100 points of Dex could equal +1% Attack Speed and +1% Movement Speed.

Every 100 points of Intelligence could equal +10 Max Fury, +10 Magic Find, and -5% recharge time for skills.

That wouldn't be enough for you to stack Dex or Int as your primary goal, but it WOULD make you feel a whole lot better when your otherwise-godly sword rolls a +239 Dexterity or when your godly Litany of the Undaunted shows up as Intelligence instead of Strength.

These changes could lead to a lot more dynamic character builds, and create value for weapons and armor that are otherwise useless to a player. Unlike the others, this change would take a few days to sketch out and implement, but could be done in a week or less. It would literally make the game twice as good in one swoop.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Seriously. For the love of God. Make it an option menu check box or something. I literally can't play when my girlfriend is home because if she hears the enchantress she will think less of me.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

There are more and more reports of duping, and while it's not an epidemic yet, it is the ONE thing that can totally ruin Diablo. Heck, I quit D1 and D2 when duping became a problem. So why are multiple of the exact same item on the AH at once?

It would take Blizzard literally five minutes to put in a line of code that searches the AH to see if your item already exists on it. If an item with the same name and stats is on there, you can't put it up. In theory, they should have unique item ID's for everything in their database, but regardless, this will also go a long way to combating the problem.

And while they're at it, take another five minutes to put that same line of code in your inventory and stash. If an item is placed in either -- and an identical item exists -- it deletes both. Wow. That would take literally five minutes to code. So do it. A 'false positive' is mathematically impossible, so there are no risks really.
I like 1 and 2, but your 3rd suggestion would be a nightmare for blizzard to balance. Or it would be so miniscule that it wouldn't matter. Hmmm, I guess miniscule is better than nothing. I like how you're asking for things that are easy to code. So many posters always demand small changes that are impossible to code quickly if at all.
PS Play with the scoundrel, he's so much more badass than the enchantress.
Edited by spheresword#1171 on 10/31/2012 1:46 AM PDT
Very good points, especially about legendaries. My #1 concern right now.
And Id love to play some act 1, that act looks the best to me. But running around 2-3 minutes to find a 3 men goatmen pack just isnt cutting it.
+1
@Spheresword

Understand the concern, but I totally disagree.

No Barbarian is going to stack Dex or Intelligence at the expense of Strength, and Blizz can be judicious with the impact.

Since it is rare for a Barbarian to have +500 Dexterity, then the +5% attack speed bonus would be noticeable but not character-defining. And if he rolls an amazing Axe that has 1100 dps + socket + 300 dexterity, then he can actually use the thing and know that the Dexterity wasn't a totally useless affix. After all +3% attack speed and +3% movement speed is really cool, and much appreciated, but let's not kid ourselves and act like it would totally mess up the game's balance. Strength would still have been preferable. Just not 'all or nothing' the way it is now.

What's the worst that could happen?
@Spheresword

Understand the concern, but I totally disagree.

No Barbarian is going to stack Dex or Intelligence at the expense of Strength, and Blizz can be judicious with the impact.

Since it is rare for a Barbarian to have +500 Dexterity, then the +5% attack speed bonus would be noticeable but not character-defining. And if he rolls an amazing Axe that has 1100 dps + socket + 300 dexterity, then he can actually use the thing and know that the Dexterity wasn't a totally useless affix. After all +3% attack speed and +3% movement speed is really cool, and much appreciated, but let's not kid ourselves and act like it would totally mess up the game's balance. Strength would still have been preferable. Just not 'all or nothing' the way it is now.

What's the worst that could happen?

Good point. I've been thinking the dxact same thing. Offstats need to be more impactful than they currently are. In fact, expanding on the concept is a lot more preferable than forcing bows to roll dex, wands to roll int etc.

All in all thumbs up from me..
I heard Blizzard is hiring, submit your resume and they'll review it as soon as possible.
Good suggestions, especially making non main stats interesting, increasing mob density for act 1 and fixing dead legendaries.

Here's another quickie that would make the game 50% more fun right off the bat and would take 5 minutes of coding : increase base movement speed of at least 10%, so we dont fall asleep between two hordes of mobsters. I have 23% movement speed and it feels sloooooow !! Also, this would reduce the mob density problem.
Good suggestions, especially making non main stats interesting, increasing mob density for act 1 and fixing dead legendaries.

Here's another quickie that would make the game 50% more fun right off the bat and would take 5 minutes of coding : increase base movement speed of at least 10%, so we dont fall asleep between two hordes of mobsters. I have 23% movement speed and it feels sloooooow !! Also, this would reduce the mob density problem.

They should remove the 25% MS speed cap from items as well.

They should remove the 25% MS speed cap from items as well.

Agreed.
Number 1 is awesome

Number 4 LMFAO
Legendary idea is good, and pretty simple to do. Might create balance issues though.

I think another easy fix would be to add the +/- stat info to the AH screen, so you can see if it's worth buying that item.
As a software engineer, it is hard for me to turn off my 'coding' hat when I play this game. And even though I liked a lot of changes in 1.04 and 1.05, they seemed to require a ton of game development to execute. It took a lot of people a lot of time to create the Hellfire plot and then bring it to life.

So, here's a list of five very very simple changes that Blizzard could make with very little effort that -- in my opinion -- would make the game significantly more fun and playable for the long run...

They could make them all tomorrow and it would take barely any engineering time...

1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

This one is a no-brainer. How annoying is it when you pick up a lvl63 legendary weapon, only to realize that it is cannot possibly roll anything good. Take the Azurewrath for example. No respectable barb would use this weapon, not even as an offhand. Blizzard spent all this time developing a cool weapon, but it's basically DOA. Now, what if you got an Azurewrath with a +1 affix, and that affix was a socket? That would change everything. Thousands of people would use it as an offhand and totally build around it. Same with Skysplitter and many others. If they had just one more affix, they could be godly. But as it stands now, it is a guaranteed losing roll.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

This one is also super simple and would make the game so much more lasting. Most good D3 players have spent the last four months farming Act 3, and we would love to change scenery by doing Act 1 more often. But the monster density is too low to get the XP and drops we need. The halls of the dungeons feel empty. Double the number of skeletons and the problem goes away. Super simple. Just do it.

3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

Here's an example...

For Barbarians, make it so that Intelligence increases your max fury, magic find, and slightly reduces your skill recharge times. Make it so that Dexterity slightly increases your attack speed and slightly increases your movement speed.

Every 100 points of Dex could equal +1% Attack Speed and +1% Movement Speed.

Every 100 points of Intelligence could equal +10 Max Fury, +10 Magic Find, and -5% recharge time for skills.

That wouldn't be enough for you to stack Dex or Int as your primary goal, but it WOULD make you feel a whole lot better when your otherwise-godly sword rolls a +239 Dexterity or when your godly Litany of the Undaunted shows up as Intelligence instead of Strength.

These changes could lead to a lot more dynamic character builds, and create value for weapons and armor that are otherwise useless to a player. Unlike the others, this change would take a few days to sketch out and implement, but could be done in a week or less. It would literally make the game twice as good in one swoop.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Seriously. For the love of God. Make it an option menu check box or something. I literally can't play when my girlfriend is home because if she hears the enchantress she will think less of me.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

There are more and more reports of duping, and while it's not an epidemic yet, it is the ONE thing that can totally ruin Diablo. Heck, I quit D1 and D2 when duping became a problem. So why are multiple of the exact same item on the AH at once?

It would take Blizzard literally five minutes to put in a line of code that searches the AH to see if your item already exists on it. If an item with the same name and stats is on there, you can't put it up. In theory, they should have unique item ID's for everything in their database, but regardless, this will also go a long way to combating the problem.

And while they're at it, take another five minutes to put that same line of code in your inventory and stash. If an item is placed in either -- and an identical item exists -- it deletes both. Wow. That would take literally five minutes to code. So do it. A 'false positive' is mathematically impossible, so there are no risks really.

Very interesting changes @Op. You get a thumbs up for them.
bump and sticky requested
+1 number 3 i have been suggesting for a while if i had it 100% my way i would make it

So there is no main stat for characters and everyone uses mana.

int gives mana and ability power

dex gives as and ms

str gives wep damage and crit chance.

I think that would add whole new levels of build diversity, this would obviously couple with being able to choose your own stats like in d2
I love your suggestions, and as a fellow programmer I also agree that these are simple changes that would take little time to code and very little testing.

fixing dead legendaries and duped items need to be addressed if this game is to continue with the current population.

We need something. It doesn't need to be much... just something to break the hatred when that 63 item drops and you realize its not worth the time picking it up to vendor.
10/31/2012 03:30 AMPosted by QARocks
Legendary idea is good, and pretty simple to do. Might create balance issues though.

balance issues?

how about this...

DH - manticore or windforce or calamity.
wiz / barb / monk - majority using skorn or echoing fury + off hand

there is little or no other choices for most classes.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]