Diablo® III

5 GREAT IMPROVEMENTS that take 5 mins to code

+1
Hard to believe you are a software engineer.
WHAT A WORTHY POST, GLORIOUS!

But in all seriousness, they are all awesome ideas, although I think its hilarious when this conversation comes up...

Barb: "Do you write your own spells?"
Enchantress: "Yes, what about you?"
Barb: "No, I find magic annoying, I just put up with yours."

Everything is awesome with this post. Like, seriously, what am i supposed to do with random Intelligence and dexterity? Also, I'm tired of moving so slow -_- paragon levels should add to movement speed, maybe 1% every 2 levels, and remove the cap
I like 1 and 2, but 3 seems like failure to understand how useful dex/int/str and the secondary stat bonus actually can be. for example;

100 int is effectively 10 all res, so it can take an item past 80 all res, and works out to be as effective point for point as bonus armor.

the first 500 dex gets any player to 20% dodge, useless vs certain abilities, true, but it can stop you taking hits while mediating that damage you cant dodge.

str is just armor bonus. unless your a barb. so 200str is the same as + 200 armor

These bonuses are regardless of the class you play. Like I said already if you do the math a non primary stat is as useful defensively as bonus armor property point for point and often cheaper in the AH since no one seems to value them the same as bonus armor.

Yes, 100 int is effectively +10 RA, but max roll for RA on an item is 80, while max roll for int is 200 or 300 for the same item, depending on slot. Int is only 25-37.5% as effective as RA for that purpose for 3 of the 5 classes.

An INT roll of 100 or more is less wasteful than a single resist taking up an affix slot for anyone but a monk, but it sucks compared to resist all.
Edited by Oxyn#1523 on 10/31/2012 11:40 AM PDT
I love idiot trolls that automically asume someone is lying about their profession because they can't fathom someone being successfull that plays video games and posts on said games forums...
I don't know about you buddy, but it would take me months to get these changes through. Would probably need 50 signatures to get the first one alone.

Even from a technical standpoint, the first is not a trivial problem. Given that the code is clean and easy to change... what about the drop tables, drop chances, etc. This is a design and mathematical problem beyond the code hurdles you'd have to jump.

What are they teaching in school these days? That everyone writes perfect object oriented java code that allows the entire design to be modified by a few parameters?
Edited by TheMaguS#1858 on 10/31/2012 11:43 AM PDT
How about fixing some of the worthless affixes on items

Life on kill -> Life regen on Kill
Keep the numbers approx the same but make it regen life per sec for X seconds - where X is probably somewhere 2-5 - but have it stack in duration - kill 10 mobs get 20 seconds of life regen,

Crowd control reduction
Change it to a simple % chance to ignore the effect (say 20-25% for top roll) - so if on top of all iof your gear you can get this to 100% you are immune to slow/freeze/stun/knockback etc

Thorns
Thorn damage somehow needs to go through your existing damage multipliers to some degree - maybe not the full amount and yes WD pets might need looking at but at least make it do something against 20m HP mobs.
@MountainMan

Dozens of hours of testing? Big deal.

Yes, it is a big deal, especially when you're ignorantly promoting these as 5-minute fixes. You're also not considering the trickle down affect these changes could have on other aspects of the game that would need to be changed, tested, and balanced to compensate.

Would they improve the game? I don't know, and, frankly, neither do you without hours of iterative design and testing. But claiming that these are easy, 5-minute fixes, along with the implication that Blizzard is naive and lazy for not implementing them, is absurd.
10/31/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Kochise
I love idiot trolls that automically asume someone is lying about their profession because they can't fathom someone being successfull that plays video games and posts on said games forums...

It's more about someone who claims to have a profession that he is clearly ignorant of. No competent software engineer would ever claim that these are 5-minute fixes.
Edited by MountainMan#1630 on 10/31/2012 11:56 AM PDT
blizzard hire this guy.
Whether these changes take five minutes or five days to implement, they will add massive re-playability, and they are MUCH MUCH MUCH simpler to implement than the whole Hellfire quest.

Think of how much work it was to design the new legendaries in 1.04...

Why did they even bother creating 3/4 of those legendaries if they are un-usable?

+1 affix would make most of them have at least SOME chance of being useful.
10/31/2012 11:55 AMPosted by MountainMan

It's more about someone who claims to have a profession that he is clearly ignorant of. No competent software engineer would ever claim that these are 5-minute fixes.
What the OP is saying by "5 minutes" (in my opinion) is not the actual time, but the simplicity compared to how Blizzard is making it out to be to make such changes.
This would be pretty cool to see implemented, bumped!.
10/31/2012 01:30 AMPosted by Brygo
I literally can't play when my girlfriend is home because if she hears the enchantress she will think less of me
- LOL

All 5 are not bad ideas but the "5 minutes of coding" is a bit of an exaggeration...

Numbers 2 & 4 are really needed. Definitely would improve the game. Act 1 is garbage right now no matter what monster power it has.
I entered the topic expecting a bad opinionated list but that didn't happen. Pretty good points OP.

Regarding your 4th point.. just turn off voices.
I'm also an engineer softwate and here's my opinion:

1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

I agree, this is done with little code, but requires planning.
Changes like this can break the game balance, especially in pvp.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

Ok, this is probably simple

3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

This is a great idea and I would love it to be implemented, but that would cause more problems in the game balance. This change needs to be well planned.

You are thinking only of the barbarian class, let's look at the monk or demon hunter.
They would have more movement speed than the other classes.
But someone says, it would apply only to secondary attribute. Ok, what would happen with the monk and demon hunter? They would not have the bonus movement speed.
This is just one example, worst things could happen with other attributes.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Agree.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

This would be a problem with blue items.

10/31/2012 03:43 AMPosted by RoyalMarine
I also agree that these are simple changes that would take little time to code and very little testing.

There is no such thing as very little testing in software development.

As engineers or software developers, you should know that such changes requires a lot of time planning and testing.

Sorry for my english, it is not my native language.
10/31/2012 12:04 PMPosted by Brygo
Whether these changes take five minutes or five days to implement, they will add massive re-playability, and they are MUCH MUCH MUCH simpler to implement than the whole Hellfire quest.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I don't have a problem with your suggestions as such, it's more your flippant attitude that Blizzard should jump to make these changes because you think they're supposedly easy.
@UnDeploy

Thanks for the thoughtful response.

Software releases always take time simply by the fact that they are software releases. Of course nothing ever gets "done done" in five minutes, but they are changes that require very little in the way of new code, new graphics, new audio, new database changes, etc.

Rather than us nitpick whether it would take five minutes, five hours, or five days to make these changes, can we all agree that they are necessary?

I have gotten some people who argue the "non-main stat buff" will impact game balance...

It won't.

As mentioned, if +100 Dex were to give Barbarians +1% attack speed, that will not greatly change game balance. He can only stack Dex at the expense of Strength, which he will not. What this *does* do is improve the "incidental" stats that come along with that otherwise godly sword or helm. Make them seem like they aren't a total waste.

And, yes, Monks and Wizards would also get similar improvements, but I speak to the Barb since that is what i know best.
1) Fix the dead legendaries by giving them an additional affix.

won't help the poor itemization in this game. Crap uniques like Frostburn will remain crap. They will need to spend more time rebalancing than simply adding an affix.

2) Add more monster density to Act 1 and Act 2.

Should be done and can easily be done.

3) Add new benefits for non-main item stats. Ones that people can get excited about.

This will require careful planing for class balance.

4) Make the sorceress shut up.

Don't really care about this.

5) Never allow two identical items on the AH at once...

There are several scenarios where two identical items can be on AH legitimately.

Overall I only see (2) can be easily done. The rest either requires a lot of planning or won't really improve the game much.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]