Many debates of girls in gaming is held to some people trolling, some people have even said back when I used to play wow if their tank was a girl they would leave even if they were better then any other tank they have seen. One Famous Quote is as follows
Gaming in general is a male thing. It isn't that gaming is designed to exclude women. Everybody who's tried to design a game to interest a large female audience has failed. And I think that has to do with the different thinking processes of men and women.
Gary Gygax
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/g/gary_gygax.html#AmwoPsrtR3PhkKPD.99

However there are some girls like myself who have grown up as gamers. I think that this is mostly in part because my dad for one owned an Atari when I was just in pampers. My best friend when I was very young were guys partly because I found playing with dolls to be silly and much more fun to burn. Later on as many of my generation have seen divorce and remarriage, when this happened for me I also got two younger brothers out of the deal. So while I am a girl, I was raised around more guys. I ran the tech crew in high school, and could relate to guys better then girls. As sad as this statement is it is true.
I think I speak for most girls who game, if you are a girl and you are reading this look at your life and see if you find this to be true about yourself, this won't be all of you but for many of us it will be.
1. You have male siblings, younger or older, but you might be the only girl.
2. You have more guy friends and have a hard time trusting other girls.
3. You thought playing with GI Joes much cooler then Barbie dolls.

I can talk like a guy because I have been raised like one. But if anyone has ever heard the old Aerosmith song, "Dude look like a lady." This song represents us female gamers. Because in the song there is the factual story of the stagehand girl who always dressed up to work with the guys, but when one day they had a get together and she came in dressed up stunning all the guys had to do a double take.
Always think of the line from, A Knight's Tale, "Are you a blacksmith, or a woman?" "One can be both."