Diablo® III

help with mac please

i got macbook sofware snow leopard 10.6.6 can someone please help me with this
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Try running Software Updates to get this up to 10.6.8 to install the game.
90 Human Priest
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. Bad sheep!

L4V, you'll actually want to go to the following Apple support page and download the Combo updater v1.1. Once you have downloaded it, mount the disk image and run the installer. Enter your administrator password when prompted to do so and let the software update process run. Your computer will need to be restarted afterward. When it is complete, you'll be in 10.6.8 and fully up to date.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Never, ever use Software Update for the incremental version updates. Use the Combo updaters, as running Software Update more often than not misses vital file updates that the combo updater does not miss.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 11/10/2012 9:34 PM PST
Reply Quote
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek. Bad sheep!

L4V, you'll actually want to go to the following Apple support page and download the Combo updater v1.1. Once you have downloaded it, mount the disk image and run the installer. Enter your administrator password when prompted to do so and let the software update process run. Your computer will need to be restarted afterward. When it is complete, you'll be in 10.6.8 and fully up to date.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1399

Never, ever use Software Update for the incremental version updates. Use the Combo updaters, as running Software Update more often than not misses vital file updates that the combo updater does not miss.

What? Software Update pushes the combo updaters. Also, what?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
11/11/2012 12:36 AMPosted by DirkGently

Software update pushes delta updates, not combo updates, and those delta updaters very often do not update all of the files that need to be updated.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I suggested a Software Update first, as it seemed like the issue was just simply being out of date.

Now if issues persists after the software update, then maybe combo update would be the next step. I know some users won't want to do a huge update due to bandwidth issues, which is why I suggest a software update.
Reply Quote
11/11/2012 12:45 AMPosted by Tiapriestess

Software update pushes delta updates, not combo updates, and those delta updaters very often do not update all of the files that need to be updated.

I really don't believe you, I find it extremely hard to believe delta updates don't work. Combo updates are exactly the same except they have the same delta updates packed into one multi-package installer instead of individual ones. They work exactly the same way.

Software Updater definitely does push combo updates. I have only needed to update on a recent install of 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 with the exception of a firmware update that came between them. I was still served with combo updates via Software Update.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I don't know if this is still relevant for 10.7/10.8, but some delta updates via software update are smaller: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1228
Edited by Machkhan on 11/11/2012 2:41 PM PST
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I really don't believe you, I find it extremely hard to believe delta updates don't work. Combo updates are exactly the same except they have the same delta updates packed into one multi-package installer instead of individual ones. They work exactly the same way.

Software Updater definitely does push combo updates. I have only needed to update on a recent install of 10.6.3 to 10.6.8 with the exception of a firmware update that came between them. I was still served with combo updates via Software Update.

Unless your software update download was 1.05 GB, it wasn't a combo update. Software update downloads the delta updates all in one go, but only lists the latest version in its list. There's a reason that quite often downloading the standalone combo updater and applying it fixes problems after a software update run. That's usually the first troubleshooting step recommended for people that have issues just after using software update.

Believe me, this is not my first time to the rodeo. I've had delta updates fail to update the graphics drivers several times, whereas the combo updater installed them afterward. Software update scans receipts and installs newer versions for those items for which it can verify need the update. The combo updaters install all of the updated files, regardless of receipts. That is why they are recommended instead of software update.

@Machkhan: The reason delta sizes vary by computer is because of what I stated in the second paragraph. Software update downloads the combined delta updaters, but only the files flagged as having receipts (the installer file telling the OS "hey, I've been installed here!") get updated. Omegal, Bluspacecow, and myself have all witnessed the delta updates fail to install a critical update, causing a conflict or worse. That's why when we list new OS updates, we also list the combo udpater and recommend it first to the other players.

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 11/11/2012 7:31 PM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]