Diablo® III

Fowl Lair (Wheel of misfortune achievement)

before 1.0.5 I had 4/10 for the achievement. After 1.0.5 I have found the event area 5 or 6 times, before looking for the warden, and I always get the spinning guys,something dervish, so if you do the maths this has a 1 in 10000 chance of happening I believe which means it is bugged for me...
I still have 4/10
Can you please do something?
Edited by Mitsaras#2343 on 11/14/2012 7:21 AM PST
Reply Quote
I just started farming it last night. I think I'm up to 4/10. Must have done 50 runs. I've dropped to Hell MP10, and use my fastest character (DH, natch) and run directly to the two possible spawn points from the south checkpoint. Portal out and restart if its not there. BTW, it never spawns for me at the south spawnpoint, although I see the spiral and chest there sometimes.

I'm probably missing out on drops by not doing WoM in Inferno, but I just want to crank out the Achievement and Hell MP10 seems to be the best way to do so without having to stop and fight and without making the events themselves totally worthless.

Actual Inferno farming of that level seems like it would take years to fight your way there to the spawnpoints.

The only thing I would change in the game mechanics of the event is not to allow the same sub-event of the WoM to spawn if it has been completed.
Reply Quote
I have spawned the device exactly 7 times (I havent tried to farm it yet) I have gotten the Veiled Treasure 4 times and the Fowl Lair 3 times... never seen any of the other possibilities.
Reply Quote
I didn't even know it existed...just went in to it one time and was like "WTF????"
Reply Quote
Id chase achievements if they provided some kind of in-game benefit, no matter if small.

What is their purppose? why you care?.
Edited by Tor0#2444 on 11/14/2012 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
As an achievement !@#$% I spent 2 days doing this and looking for the purple mobs of the area and now I find it all the time just doing normal MF/key runs lol
Reply Quote
why would a blue ,
say .. just so you know we "didnt change anything" ..
knowing dang well that they wouldn't admit the shiz anyway if they did.

( get life blizzard , your not fooling anyone )
Reply Quote
Id chase achievements if they provided some kind of in-game benefit, no matter if small.

What is their purppose? why you care?.

For the fun. Not everything has to be logical Spock.
Reply Quote
It has been a while, but I did successfully do this achievement, and while it did take a while to get the final one, as I recall, the Fowl Lair came up a number of times in the process. I think, I found the machine perhaps 50 times in all to complete it.
Reply Quote
11/14/2012 02:23 PMPosted by Skylarian
It has been a while, but I did successfully do this achievement, and while it did take a while to get the final one, as I recall, the Fowl Lair came up a number of times in the process. I think, I found the machine perhaps 50 times in all to complete it.

Last night when I completed the achievement, I only found fowl Lair two times. The most of which I found was the skeleton and the swam summon.

Looking at the responses throughout here, and my own personal experience. It looks like it is being randomized just fine. Granted, it is infuriating and time consuming trying to complete it, but in the end, I do think a lot of these achievements were not meant to be completed this way. What I mean is, they were meant to be achieved over a long period of time and not farmed.
Reply Quote
11/13/2012 07:11 PMPosted by Amiar
Edit: It seems to be a 10% chance, which, due to RNG, can be difficult to get the one you want to spawn. We got to 7 diff machines really fast, slower to 8, then 9 and slowest was getting the 10th.

That's exactly the expected behavior. For your first device, you have a 100% chance of getting a new outcome. For your second, 90%. If you already have 5/10 outcomes, then 50% of the time your next device will give a new outcome bringing you to 6. And once you're at 9/10, you only have a 10% chance of getting the needed outcome. So progress slows down as you go.

The expected number of tries to get all 10 outcomes is 1+1/.9+1/.8+1/.7+1/.6+...+1/.1 = 29.3 devices. But actually it only takes 14.3 tries on average to get your first 8 outcomes, so fully half of the average time is spent on the last two outcomes, and a third of the average time is spent getting the last outcome. Also, because for the last outcome there's only a 10% chance of being successful, there's a lot of variance with how long it takes, so for those who have taken 30-50 tries to get it, you're unlucky, but not actually that unlucky.

I completed the achievement by listening to podcasts so I wouldn't get annoyed by how damn long it takes.

TL;DR: It's just RNG being RNG, plus math, and the result is this particular achievement takes a long time to complete, and even when it looks like you're almost done (8/10 or 9/10 complete), you actually still have a ways to go on average rolls.
Edited by althai#1238 on 11/14/2012 9:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
The actual "wheel of misfortune" has only spawned for me once thorugh out my many play throughs and when it did all I got was a chest filled with crap
Reply Quote
before 1.0.5 I had 4/10 for the achievement. After 1.0.5 I have found the event area 5 or 6 times, before looking for the warden, and I always get the spinning guys,something dervish, so if you do the maths this has a 1 in 10000 chance of happening I believe which means it is bugged for me...
I still have 4/10
Can you please do something?

Gamblers logic.
Reply Quote
For the love of God will someone please give me a thorough explanation of this dungeon, and how you get to it.

Some of us that like to just play, but don't know about it, would like to know without going through a wiki.
Reply Quote
For the love of God will someone please give me a thorough explanation of this dungeon, and how you get to it. Some of us that like to just play, but don't know about it, would like to know without going through a wiki.

The Wheel of Misfortune (WoM) is on top of a small plateau in the Desolate Sands act 2. It has an outlined square appearance on the mini-map, spawning either in the north or south (large canyon usually appears in the middle), mostly centered on the map. There's a set of steps at the bottom of the square that lead to the top, a man stands by a lever and says, "My brother Garrett died using this device, use it if you dare." Pull the lever to get 1 of 10 outcomes, 2 of them are dungeons, Fowl Lair and Veiled Treasure. Don't confuse the WoM as the circle with a resplendant chest with dervish guardians or the resplend chest in a spiral bone structure. As a rough estimate, the WoM only spawns 1/5, more frequently in the north. However, the best way to farm this achievement is to only do the south to avoid large numbers of monsters for speed. Use the waypoint to ancient path, not desolate sands, run up the narrow twisting bone path to get the checkpoint at the beginning of the Desol.sands, when the path widens out, run straight up for 2-3 screen lengths, if the square plateau is not there exit game and you start close at saved checkpoint.
Edited by GelatoLegato#1352 on 11/15/2012 1:02 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 12:55 AMPosted by GelatoLegato
However, the best way to farm this achievement is to only do the south to avoid large numbers of monsters for speed. Use the waypoint to ancient path, not desolate sands, run up the narrow twisting bone path to get the checkpoint at the beginning of the Desol.sands, when the path widens out, run straight up for 2-3 screen lengths, if the square plateau is not there exit game and you start close at saved checkpoint.

I would disagree that only farming the south spawn is the best way. It seems to spawn much less often at the south (for me) so that reduces your (my) odds. I've only ever had one south spawn. YMMV.

If you're only after the achievement and not XP or loot, drop down to Hell MP10 (or lower) so you don't have to fight anything and start at the south checkpoint. Head northeast at about a 45-degree angle to the map. If you don't run into the tile for the WoM, continue NE until you are stopped by the big canyon in the middle.

Continue east until you round the SE corner of the canyon and can head due north again. Once you pass the NE corner of the canyon, the WoM tile should be in front of you to the north. If you see the spiral, the resplendent chest, or just a lot of tarpits, leave game and start at the south checkpoint again.

You'll get where you recognize each tile easily so you will know when you've found it. If you don't stop to fight anything you can make an unsuccessful run (no WoM) in 2-3 minutes. You can get a lot of runs in an hour.

My problem last night was continually rolling the dead guy who has lots of gold. They need to have each flavor spawn only once until you get them all. The WoM spawn itself is rare enough as it is.
Reply Quote
Zuzax, most players don't want a run where the highest item drops aren't available, therefore they choose inferno MP1 for act 2 runs, not hell MP10 runs. Also the farming plan I mentioned above was only for the WoM achievement, in reality the best run is to incorporate both the act 2 key run, since you need NV5, with Desolate Sands and get WoM hits as a bonus. I've run Desolate Sands probably more than 90% than most players, I know WoM spawns around twice as much in the north than in the south, however, in inferno the fastest most survivable way to hit the WoM as much as possible is to save the checkpoint at the southern tip and quickly check the south location then exit game and restart from saved checkpoint.
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 10:56 AMPosted by GelatoLegato
in reality the best run is to incorporate both the act 2 key run, since you need NV5, with Desolate Sands and get WoM hits as a bonus.

Yep... I often check the 2 spots and clean around so I get NV5 pretty fast then head to Dahlgur Oasis to get the key. I have too much of that key now.

Anyway. As the OP I will make sure to post back when I will complete that achievement.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]