Diablo® III

Fowl Lair (Wheel of misfortune achievement)

11/15/2012 12:55 AMPosted by GelatoLegato
For the love of God will someone please give me a thorough explanation of this dungeon, and how you get to it. Some of us that like to just play, but don't know about it, would like to know without going through a wiki.

The Wheel of Misfortune (WoM) is on top of a small plateau in the Desolate Sands act 2. It has an outlined square appearance on the mini-map, spawning either in the north or south (large canyon usually appears in the middle), mostly centered on the map. There's a set of steps at the bottom of the square that lead to the top, a man stands by a lever and says, "My brother Garrett died using this device, use it if you dare." Pull the lever to get 1 of 10 outcomes, 2 of them are dungeons, Fowl Lair and Veiled Treasure. Don't confuse the WoM as the circle with a resplendant chest with dervish guardians or the resplend chest in a spiral bone structure. As a rough estimate, the WoM only spawns 1/5, more frequently in the north. However, the best way to farm this achievement is to only do the south to avoid large numbers of monsters for speed. Use the waypoint to ancient path, not desolate sands, run up the narrow twisting bone path to get the checkpoint at the beginning of the Desol.sands, when the path widens out, run straight up for 2-3 screen lengths, if the square plateau is not there exit game and you start close at saved checkpoint.

Thank you!
Reply Quote
I think I'm close to 250 run, maybe 50 ancient device found and I never got the Fowl Lair.

This seems to be the rarest of them all!

Found the divice maybe another 20-30 times and still can't get the portal to chiken world.

Anyone got it this week?

Just so you know, we did not change the chances for the Fowl Lair to appear in the Wheel of Misfortune. I have never found it either, but have only spent a fraction of the time searching for it that you have.

I am sorry, but something is clearly wrong here, everyone I know still needs Fowl Lair including myself. This can not be normal, there has to be something wrong with the math in the code or something else that is keeping such a significantly high number of people from finding this dungeon, RNG is RNG, but this is way beyond Random when its a pattern.
Reply Quote

Just so you know, we did not change the chances for the Fowl Lair to appear in the Wheel of Misfortune. I have never found it either, but have only spent a fraction of the time searching for it that you have.

I am sorry, but something is clearly wrong here, everyone I know still needs Fowl Lair including myself. This can not be normal, there has to be something wrong with the math in the code or something else that is keeping such a significantly high number of people from finding this dungeon, RNG is RNG, but this is way beyond Random when its a pattern.

I did not see anything wrong with it. granted, it was annoying but if one dedicates themselves (and being wizard/barbarian helps), it can be completed in a few hours. Which yes, is a long time but this achievement is not meant to be easily done like many of the others. It is quite dependent on time (like gold pickup). You can make it easier to finish, but still it will take some time.
Reply Quote
I, got lucky, about a month ago, I got the "fowl Lair" and the dead guy within about 3 tries from each other, and that completed the
wheel of misfortune for me,

It's random, so u just have to keep grinding, on the other hand I have never found "Bashiok" in Dalgur Oasis
Reply Quote
I just finished this acheivement the other day and I got Fowl Lair many times. It really is random luck. What I did was run it over and over doing a direct run to the two spots it can spawn. Glad to have that one done.
Reply Quote
Takes quite a few times to get all 10 ancient devices. It is all luck. Watch some of the youtube videos for finding quick. What I did from zolton archives, then proceed south and to the right abit. If not there, then new game. Ancient device can appear on bottom or top of desolate sands.
Reply Quote
Fowl Lair rare? I was attempting to do the achievement the other day and me and my friend were getting irritated with how much we were seeing the fowl lair (out of 50 runs we got the fowl lair 21 times.)
Reply Quote
I finally got the WoM achievement after hundreds of reloads. Looking back, it's kinda of disappointing to have achievements designed around the mechanic of reloading your game, and not around skills, abilities, problem solving, or anything that makes them something you've actually achieved. They're just this:

• Load game, walk to spot.
  • Did a specific terrain feature or character spawn?
  • If yes, did a specific sub-event or item spawn with terrain feature/character?
  • If no to either, leave game, reload.
  • Repeat hundreds of times.

• During the creation of these I doubt anyone said "this is so cool!" Instead it sounds more like some Lumbergh-style development lead said "we need you to crank out five more achievements before you guys go home tonight."
    Reply Quote
    Finally! Can't tell you how many extra runs it took but tonight I got it.
    As soon as I clicked the thing I got 4 achievement at once! That was a 1st.

Being the OP, I wanted to report I finally made it.
    Reply Quote
    100 Dwarf Hunter
    i have spent literally days looking for the fowl lair...hundreds of restarts...have all others but this...and without it... u miss around 80 achievement points..
    Reply Quote
    100 Dwarf Hunter
    oh a few hours...what a load of nonsense...i have done this for days on end...clearly in this instance... RNG IS NOT RNG... very frustrating
    Reply Quote
    In the time I was doing the Wheel of Misfortune achievement I found the fowl lair at least twice but I think it was three times. The one that held me up was the dead merchant. I was on 9 for ages and he finally turned up and I got the achievement.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]