Diablo® III

What stats to look for on Skorn?

So my WD is nearly 60 and i wanted a big, meaty 2h weapon to smack bad guys in the face. Skorn looks delicious but i'm wondering what i should be looking for exactly. I'm a big fan of bears and acid cloud, and really enjoying my current spec because it seems to hit pretty hard. It may not be the most efficient, but it's crazy fun.

Anyway, i've been looking for int and high crit dmg obviously, but confused about what other stats to look for.

Life on Hit? sounds nice.....but axes with decent loh seem to go fast.
Life Steal? even better, but super expensive.
Life on Kill? these i can get cheap, but are they worth it?
Vit? to keep my pets up.

Thanks for any feedback ladies and gents!
Reply Quote
Life leech is the definite choice. Prices are coming down rapidly on the lower end ones.

Life on hit was a lot more attractive before they raised the caps on jewelry in 1.0.5. It works best with AC, which works best in lower MP levels where you want to stack attack speed pretty hard.
Edited by MartinAlvito#1712 on 11/15/2012 9:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
Depends upon how much coin you have and which you prefer...Acid Cloud or Bears.

First of course is dps. Refuse to even look at anything under 1250 regardless of your budget.
Next is CD. I personally don't look at anything under 185...but that's a large chunk of value there.

You can find LoH in ammys, rings and blackthorn's jousting mail. Life steal? I don't know...I think that weapon is your only option for that.

Life on Kill is fine for low mp. Won't help you much in high mp or ubers. Will also not be helpful when PvP comes around in a million years.

So on a budget of any sort?

Get int and vit. My skorn was a very good deal imo. I bought it at 10m. When skorn shopping now...I'd need 45m - 60m to beat it.
Reply Quote
Life leech is the definite choice. Prices are coming down rapidly on the lower end ones.

Life on hit was a lot more attractive before they raised the caps on jewelry in 1.0.5. It works best with AC, which works best in lower MP levels where you want to stack attack speed pretty hard.

Why would you need to stack AS on acid on low mps?

Everything pretty much dies with one squirt of cloud.
Reply Quote
Outstanding feedback......thanks gents. The benchmarks were also very helpful. Sadly, i am on a budget. Good points on the fact that while life on kill will be useful in low MP, it's pointless in higher MP and Uber runs. But then again, this will be for a fresh 60.

I'm seeing some crazy good deals on entry level Skorn with life on kill, but the good stuff (dps 1400+ with life steal) is just ridiculously priced atm. So I may just end up going with Vit to keep my happy !@#$ alive in those early MP runs. I run with both pets atm, so that may help keep the mobs off me.

Interesting points on AS though. I had assumed I didnt want IAS since I wanted to hit harder with a slow weapons throwing around bears and acid cloud.
Reply Quote
Why would you need to stack AS on acid on low mps?

Everything pretty much dies with one squirt of cloud.

Because attack speed affects animation speed, which in turn affects the speed with which you clear. You don't have to cast a ton of times, so the mana implications of high attack speed are irrelevant. And as you correctly point out, you're one-shotting everything whether you run a high minimum damage Skorn or a low minimum damage 1-H/mojo setup.

Implication: a high IAS weapon and a bunch of IAS on your gear is going to yield the fastest clears at low MP.

11/15/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Belnades
Interesting points on AS though. I had assumed I didnt want IAS since I wanted to hit harder with a slow weapons throwing around bears and acid cloud.

Hitting harder is good. You just don't really need to at the MPs where AC is strong.

As you throttle up the MP level, mana efficiency becomes a problem. The high IAS setups are running CS/Widowmakers to deal with this, but there are two big problems with that approach:

- low life leech -> need more defensive affixes and Reflect is a bigger problem
- skipping heavy-hitting attacks for CS and burning passives to make the machine work is suboptimal when you can get mana in other ways
Edited by MartinAlvito#1712 on 11/15/2012 10:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
My Skorn is probably one of the best for an Acid Cloud build (which is what I use). I can farm mp7 *very* efficiently. I can do mp8 very nicely as well, but every once in a while there is a pack that gives me trouble.
Reply Quote
I do okay with my skorn, but cannot use it since it has no life leech when I encounter RD monster packs. So have to switch to my knife and fetish.
Reply Quote
You really want intelligence, life steal, and critical damage. It's expensive, but not really worth getting a skorn if you don't get those properties. Without life steal, fighting reflect damage mobs is suicide. Using acid cloud instead of bears helps if you have a lot of life on hit, but I would definately go for life steal.
Reply Quote
Excellent info guys, thanks. It's very helpful to see your Skorn as well to see what stats are out there and what I should be looking for. Good points on the reflect dmg mobs as well and the impact of life steal vs life on hit vs life on kill. Much appreciated.

Now, i know what to look for.
Reply Quote
Look at your own damage first.

If your sheet damage is <100k your likely better off with LOH
This is simply because of the LS nerf in inferno.

IE 5% LS will only yield you 1% after the inferno nerf. Meaning a 500k crit yields you 5k health.

If your damage is lower, LOH will probably yeild you better results.

ALso, LS skorns cost way more than LOH ones.

Personally I search for
1385+ damage
300+ int
175+ CD (prefer more but this just limits results)
LS 5+
or i would consider upgrading to LOH 1800ish.

1000-1400 Total LOH on your character is more than enough to keep you alive with Acid Rain, in most MPs. Im only finding that its not enough in MP7-10 (but still managable)
Reply Quote
I can handle mp8 pretty handily with 2900 LoH. I suspect higher mps would be doable as well, but it takes so damn long to kill packs. My sweet spot is mp7 when I am soloing.
Reply Quote
I can handle mp8 pretty handily with 2900 LoH. I suspect higher mps would be doable as well, but it takes so damn long to kill packs. My sweet spot is mp7 when I am soloing.

Aye i can do MP8, even 10 (but i die a lot) with onyl 1100 LoH.

My problem with LOH is you really need to use AC / ROT to make it work right.
If rather find a LS skorn so that i can use any skill and still get my health back (now that my damage is high enough to be better than LoH)
Reply Quote
Honestly it's all overkill as the XP is on mp 0.

GEt your rings and then live on mp0 until you are satisfied with your paragon.
Edited by Anjinsan#1427 on 11/16/2012 12:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
I'm very pleased with LoH Skorn and Acid Cloud. I don't view AC as a crutch though... I was using it extensively before I had any LoH. I have a lot of LoH now though and almost never die at any MP level

One cast of AC typically fills my health globe completely.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 11/16/2012 12:43 PM PST
Reply Quote
11/15/2012 09:06 AMPosted by Anjinsan
Get int and vit. My skorn was a very good deal imo. I bought it at 10m. When skorn shopping now...I'd need 45m - 60m to beat it.

Whaaaaat. Someone had no idea what they had -_-

Sick buy.

But yeah, op. Min 1250 dps, 180+ cd, and ofc life steal if you're running bears. As much as you can get.
Reply Quote
Im not a rich man....picked my axe up for 900k....its a good stepping stone till i can earn enough or get lucky with a skorn drop
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]