Diablo® III

Monk Sweeping Wind exploit; STILL not patched

(Locked)

As many people already know about (but more people do not) this exploit has been around FOREVER, and it is still not fixed. I am creating this post in order to hope gain more exposure around the exploit, in hopes that Blizzard will FINALLY do something about it.

The way sweeping wind works, it takes a "snapshot" of your dps at the time the sweeping wind is cast. Therefore, there exists an exploit where you cast sweeping wind while holding a really high damage 2H weapon and all your buffs (30% from faith in the light, 15% from blazing wrath, etc.) and sweeping wind will essentially lock in all these buffs FOREVER until the sweeping wind wears off and is recast (recasting while it's still active to refresh the timer does NOT remove the buffs).

This may seem trivial, but the implications are huge. You can essentially deal over 2 million damage per second. That's right. 2 million effective DPS. To prove my point, I will include some videos of the exploit in action:

Killing MP10 Azmo with 2 horodric hamburgers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaxbYlHDrvo

Killing MP10 Azmo in 40 seconds (4.6 million effective DPS): http://youtu.be/Eae9f4wZpmw

Killing MP10 Gohm in 45 seconds: http://youtu.be/Yq6LPbVLfKU

Well, you get the point.

How can I exploit this? There are numerous ways.

1. Cast sweeping wind in full DPS gear, switch to leoric's signet + cain's set; you are still dealing millions of DPS, while simultaneously reaping the benefits of the xp gear that should, in theory, hinder your dps.

2. Along the same lines, cast sweeping wind in full DPS gear, switch to full MF gear. You have max MF and max DPS, whereas there should be a tradeoff between the two.

3. Cast sweeping wind in full DPS gear, then switch to dual-wielding two very fast 1H weapons, one of which could be a Won Khim Lau, and potentially a Sweeping Wind boosted Stone of Jordan. You'll be spawning dozens of cyclones at inflated dmg per second, while reaping the benefits of WKL's lightning damage boost and SoJ's sweeping wind boost.

There are many people who have macros to cast the sweeping wind with all the buffs, and then instantly switch to another set of gear, all at the press of one button, so switching full gear sets isn't nearly as infeasible as it seems (I can do it and I don't even use macros... it's just tedious).

The reason I want this patched is because it is extremely tedious and annoying to do, but is the most effective way to play monk, so it feels almost forced. Very much like when the game was released and people were swapping to full MF gear right before killing elite packs; it was extremely tedious, but felt forced, and Blizzard said they didn't want to encourage that type of play style.

Ways to fix this exploit? Pretty simple really, can't believe Blizzard hasn't been competent enough to do so yet, since this has been known for months now.

1. When you recast sweeping wind, it takes a new snapshot, regardless of whether sweeping wind is already active (rather than refreshing the old snapshot). This isn't the ideal solution, since the exploit would still exist, but it would be much harder to maintain.

2. When you switch gear with sweeping wind active, it automatically de-activates. Pretty simple solution, no drawbacks.

3. Rather than snapshotting, sweeping wind's damage ticks at your real-time DPS. Probably hard to code.

I'm sure there are more solutions, but I'm just a random guy, and I was able to come up with 3 very easy fixes for this problem, in a matter of thinking about it for 5 minutes. I would assume Blizzard should be able to do better.
@thread opener:
Dude chill out, sweeping wind is gone after 3 seconds :D it's like swapping all your gear for spending all your spirit for spells...

Unless you re using the new rune (20s) so I guess your report is useful for this new rune. But If you do so much anger work, why don't you make it right, look a the bug-report rules in this forum? And btw the readers for Blizzard are not stupid, you can sum it. Safes alot of time for them.

And BTW: They are going to change sweeping wind in the future anyways, that's what they said in a bluepost, so why should they fix that when both needs about equal amount of time?
Edited by ffFiend#2900 on 11/15/2012 10:42 AM PST
11/15/2012 10:18 AMPosted by ffFiend
sweeping wind is gone after 3 seconds

20 seconds with Master of Wind.
@thread opener:
Dude chill out, sweeping wind is gone after 3 seconds :D it's like swapping all your gear for spending all your spirit for spells...

This is false. I can keep sweeping wind up infinitely (4-piece innas). Each time you recast, it refreshes the old sweeping wind as opposed to recreating the snapshot. Further, if you tempest rush or dashing strike between packs, you can easily keep it up indefinitely.

Here is a video of someone doing so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p24xygPg2-I
sweeping wind is gone after 3 seconds

20 seconds with Master of Wind.

Lol? Next sentence I mention the 20s rune.

@thread opener:

This is false. I can keep sweeping wind up infinitely (4-piece innas). Each time you recast, it refreshes the old sweeping wind as opposed to recreating the snapshot. Further, if you tempest rush or dashing strike between packs, you can easily keep it up indefinitely.

Thanks for the hint with tempest rush! Helps keeping it up, but at the cost of a spell slot.

In the video the 2-hander is actually twice as strong as the 1-handers, no wonders!!

Ok and I tried it out today...
I bought a good 2-hander for 2 Million Gold. The damage of sweeping wind doesn't increase, lol? Comparing it with my dual wields. Same dps on paper and same dps for sweeping wind... Both sweeping winds did about equial damage. So I don't see where 2-handed have an advantage... Thanks for the wrong hint, wasted 2 million.

So it's just a matter of the spell buffs. And even then, sweeping wind is rather weak, compared to for Example Rend, which deals over a 110% damage to surrounding enemies per second for a low wrath-cost (and btw the Barb has alot more wrath than the monk has spirit!). I think this is ok!

Here is another video about abusing it when you don't have good dual weapons already ( I found while youtubing), so yes it can be used, but it still only has higher damage due to damage buffs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7-fLkDh1Qg&list=UUefx9RJZBwayEBO-aLM6acg&index=18&feature=plcp

Btw: What about the people that don't have Innas-Set? You want to nerf them aswell? Nerf all monks?? And getting Dashing Strike OR Tempest Rush just to keep up Sweeping wind is a huge investment too 1/6 skillslots! ... So that's fair again.

Allright, but you are right, this game mechanic is broken. And I feel urged to play this monkbuild just because of this "mechanic" and any other build (without the buff and sweeping wind stuff) is so weak compared to other classes.
Edited by ffFiend#2900 on 11/15/2012 9:28 PM PST
Blizzard please ban this guy. He is an item duper/cheater. He was caught on reddit with this history

http://i.imgur.com/lTicK.png . Everyone report this guy for cheating/hacking. He sold the same item 3x for millions of gold. He is using macros that probably aren't legal either. Now he wants to be praised .... his ego ends him.
Blizzard please ban this guy. He is an item duper/cheater. He was caught on reddit with this history

http://i.imgur.com/lTicK.png . Everyone report this guy for cheating/hacking. He sold the same item 3x for millions of gold. He is using macros that probably aren't legal either. Now he wants to be praised .... his ego ends him.

Three items with the same name. That were sold for vastly different amounts. Are you sure you understand how duping works?
Don't worry, they will fix the snapshot way before fixing all SW weaknesses, the lack of proc, the non-random cyclone path, and that very annoying cost/duration ratio.

BTW, they designed Inna just to exploit the snapshot, like the old natalya. They lean on you to spread the exploit, thus raising Inna's value. You did great.
You do know rares can have the same name and be completely different in stats, right? Further, if they were duped, why would he sell them for three different prices (implying a difference in quality)?

Three items with the same name. That were sold for vastly different amounts. Are you sure you understand how duping works?

While he implies that the screenshot depicts "an exceptionally lucky weekend," and it's nearly statistically impossible to obtain three different rares with the exact same name combination in under 24 hours, it still doesn't necessarily mean that he obtained all three of the particular same-named items in that 24 hour selling period.

Coupled with the vast difference in what are clearly buyout prices and not max bids, it just makes the screenshot incredibly coincidental, and not so much suspicious.

Regardless, it's not the best idea to take a screenshot of yourself selling what could be misconstrued as a duped item three times in 24 hours.

EDIT: meant to reply to the guy accusing him of duping & cheating.
Edited by ericiidx#1865 on 11/16/2012 1:06 AM PST
He already got his account and message deleted on reddit. It is time to find his IP and ban him and refund all those paypal transactions back to blizzard. Guys like OP are a cancer to true gamers like SC2 Grandmasters.
This is not an exploit.... This is by design so. How far do you people want that blizzard neuters/spays/castrates monks? The class is already underappreciated by the developpers.... Why the !@#$%ing at once? Isn't DH-BARB OP issue not enought to QQ....
please fix this,
or state that this is NOT a bug but INTENDED mechanism.
Amazing.... Really OP. You are full of doodoo.

How about playing a monk before you run off at the mouth about something you know little about.

Enough said.
Blizz answer
FYI in terms of difficulty to code, its not.

Psuedocode for C++ would look something like this:

on_hitFromSweepCircle(SweepCircle* circle, BaseMonster* monster)
{
circle->sweepHit(monster);
}
/* .. */
sweepHit(BaseMonster* monster)
{
DamageRef* dmg;
monk->get_baseDamageSnapshot(dmg); //get snapshot, monk ptr is in the sweeping wind class
alterDamage(dmg); //alter damage for sweeping wind
monster->damage(dmg); //apply damage
}

Anyone who understands coding would get the general idea. They wanted to optimize the server by NOT having to do extra calculations. To this end, you COULD set up an event that triggers when DPS changes and updates all components that are affected. This would reduce the real-time impact of DPS calculation, while maintaining the DPS in real time.

Whichever way, its VERY simple to do, Blizzard just didn't think about the lengths people would go to exploit the game.
Edited by KBatman#1400 on 1/6/2013 1:55 PM PST
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDk3NTg5MTUy.html

Same monk doing all 3 mp10 ubers in 3 minutes. If you pause @ 1:40, you will notice his damage is only 25k.

99% of his damage output is from sweeping wind/Overwave.

Please fix this exploit
barb !@#$... btw who cares, go play WW build, sad one.
another thing 500k + damage on ur char??? that´s too low, go buy some more from RMAH hahaha
Give you guys a little bit background about myself. I played monk since D3 release, and hit a bottle neck two month ago with 140K dps unbuffed.
It is all standard build. Any upgrade will cost me 200m+ in game gold from that point. The price for gear is really high I think. I either give up or keep farming gold. Then one day I found this SW build and spend 80m on the gear. My new two sets of gears can only output 70% of the dps from the best, as you can see gear price for this build is already increased a lot. Okay here is the my point. I think this build is not a bug. It is designed this way. Why?
1. Give me a reason why we design 4 pieces inna set having SW cost 5 beer? Answer: keep SW endless why we want endless? Because the SW snapshot ability.
2. Think big, this benefit all levels of D3 player. The lower level player can still sell a item at a few million gold. It is big for them but maybe just nothing comparing to you. With those gold the lower level player can progress faster in other word happier. Higher level player can try a lot of different build, different gear instead of just like a robot farming mp1 for experience and gold day by day. From what I know people have developed a lot of different fun build based on SW snap shot ability. It is a good thing.
3. Lots of used to be garbage gear can be put to a use or on AH for a sell. That increases D3 GDP, in another words more money to the developer and player have a happier experience. It is true the SW build gear is still cheap right now, but it will catch up in some point.
It is the same thing as your want more middle class person in your country or you want more rich people and aloooooot of poor people.
4. Not everyone can swiping gear that fast. It is a fact.
5. For those people use other classes and getting jealous about this build. Hey! Monk is already very week. Standard build dps output cannot match wizard and barb. Defense has been nerfed once. It is really second tier class. My buddy play a barb, we have same amount of unbuffed dps and almost same gear in terms of stats. He can change his skill set a little to solo Mp10 siegebreaker and zoltun kulle. My monk? No matter what I change it is almost mission impossible. Barb’s different skill can make a lot of different. It is very flexible compare to monk. So there is nothing to be jealous about.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]