Diablo® III

Taking way more damage today than yesterday..

Thus far it seems like physical damage-based attacks have had their outputs reduced. Did more testing against phasebeasts and their normal melee swings are hitting me for 11-12k each time. Before the patch they were doing around 13-15k a swing, and again this is all on MP5 level solo play without any defensive buffs other than my Perfectionist passive (which I also had running prior to the monster damage nerf, so that's been a constant).

However, elemental based attacks like Arcane Sentries and even regular fireball attacks don't seem to be behaving that way. In fact, from what I've seen so far, it looks like SOME elemental damage attacks like those aforementioned fireballs have their low-end thresholds obeying the nerf values, but the high end damage ranges are staying the same. Of course, this doesn't apply to all as I've mentioned, but it appears that the damage range has widened but the possibilities for previous patch damage are still there. Will test it more later, but that's what I'm finding.

No changes were made spare those posted in the hotfix list.

What personal evidence do you have of this? There have been several fairly detailed posts in this thread giving some evidence to the contrary. Did you observe anything yourself, or not?
Posted by Sparkzen
3. Did anything actually change at all?

To get on topic...

No changes were made spare those posted in the hotfix list. Those believing otherwise are suffering from confirmation bias. It's rampant on this thread, and on these forums in general where "tinfoil hat" threads are concerned

How do you come to your conclusion? I do not understand how you are so confident that others are suffering from confirmation bias. Do you have any data proof?

As mention, this could be a accidental bug over look by Blizzard. Or it might not exist at all, or it could be intentional.

Some of us is experiencing it, some are not. What is your reasoning for it?

I personally do not understand this as well.

As this thread is all based on a personal observation. No comments are right or wrong, and each is unique to his and her own.

How do you place and term it as tin-foil hat? Where the discussion is open to all possible factors and reasoning?

With your words, are you saying those who share not the same experiences like you are therefore tin foil and bias?

There are quite a few players who disagreed as well, however they did prove their reasoning.

What is yours?
Yesterday I was doing mp4 comfortably, today I went back to mp2 and still managed to die a couple of times
Not fun blizz, I'll be back when you fix this
Thus far it seems like physical damage-based attacks have had their outputs reduced. Did more testing against phasebeasts and their normal melee swings are hitting me for 11-12k each time. Before the patch they were doing around 13-15k a swing, and again this is all on MP5 level solo play without any defensive buffs other than my Perfectionist passive (which I also had running prior to the monster damage nerf, so that's been a constant).

However, elemental based attacks like Arcane Sentries and even regular fireball attacks don't seem to be behaving that way. In fact, from what I've seen so far, it looks like SOME elemental damage attacks like those aforementioned fireballs have their low-end thresholds obeying the nerf values, but the high end damage ranges are staying the same. Of course, this doesn't apply to all as I've mentioned, but it appears that the damage range has widened but the possibilities for previous patch damage are still there. Will test it more later, but that's what I'm finding.

I see. According to what you mention, there is a possibility that some game codes are not obeying the new values input, and instead, might and could have rolled back to their previous values which is higher than 1.05.

Coding issues? mmmm
Edited by Dutchmilk#6229 on 10/26/2012 12:50 PM PDT
10/26/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Sparkzen
Did you observe any changes in damage between the hotfix tuesday and patch 1.05a? Yes or no? Really simple question. Either answer is valid - seriously! (Some people have observed more damage after 1.05a, some haven't.)

No, none at all. I understand either answer is "valid," however, what most people who answer "yes" are experiencing is confirmation bias. So they logged on after the hotfix, had a couple tough elite pulls and said "wow, something must have changed." They then take to the forums, see this thread, and bam, the hivemind kicks in and confirmation bias takes over.

Below is a perfect example of this.

10/26/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Cochy
I noticed elemental damage was pretty rough on MP3 yesterday but I figured that was due to my Andariels' and I was in act 4 where there's plenty of fire damage. After seeing this thread it's making more sense.
I honestly cannot tell too much, i was getting hit harder by fireballs from succubus in act 3 before patch but it seemed molten was doing more, it's jsut a hard comparison given the fact my DH is considered pretty squishy at 400 res and 3.9k armor.

Rubber banding IMO is much more of a concern than higher dmg outputs from monsters.
Rubber banding haunts my DH......to tHE END.....OF THE EARTH....
funny vid watch it youll get the joke.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeJ1UqnHsvU
10/26/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Sephiroth
Did you observe any changes in damage between the hotfix tuesday and patch 1.05a? Yes or no? Really simple question. Either answer is valid - seriously! (Some people have observed more damage after 1.05a, some haven't.)

No, none at all. I understand either answer is "valid," however, what most people who answer "yes" are experiencing is confirmation bias. So they logged on after the hotfix, had a couple tough elite pulls and said "wow, something must have changed." They then take to the forums, see this thread, and bam, the hivemind kicks in and confirmation bias takes over.

I noticed elemental damage was pretty rough on MP3 yesterday but I figured that was due to my Andariels' and I was in act 4 where there's plenty of fire damage. After seeing this thread it's making more sense.

However true that may be it does not make these conclusions less or more likely to be true.

I think instead you should focus on the number of people who are reporting a possible issue in this thread as more relevant.

Great Stuff, but there's also still questions about Reflect Damage and IMO some sort of LS or LOH timing issue with the damage bug. I think there is a bug and it all works hand in hand.
Posted by Sparkzen

10/26/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Cochy

@Sephiroth

Without a doubt your understanding are obviously strong and clear. However, the thread purpose is to let people have a platform to share their experience with the mention issue, and place out their finding and reasoning to guide people to a reasonable acceptance to the situation.

There is no point judging the people who answered " Yes ". They can and are perhaps in a confirmation bias.

However you need not go down to their level and have a verbal exchange with them. ( You do have your rights to express and make your own unique and important comments. )

Unfortunately, this isn't the point of the thread.
People are seeking answers to the issue.

Just don't seem to understand why any staffs of Blizzard has not come front to address it.

Admit, deny, inspect.

At least communicate with a thread which has a growing concerns and attentions to it.
Edited by Dutchmilk#6229 on 10/26/2012 3:37 PM PDT
10/26/2012 01:00 PMPosted by spookify
Great Stuff, but there's also still questions about Reflect Damage and IMO some sort of LS or LOH timing issue with the damage bug. I think there is a bug and it all works hand in hand.

I've actually noticed some irregularities with Shadow Power: Gloom in terms of its Life Steal against Reflect Damage mobs over the last few days even before this patch. Sometimes I will pop it and I will get no life leech back from either my Ball Lightning attacks, or my Cluster Arrows. Or at least, it seems I will get no LL from the shots already in the air in terms of Ball Lightning, but then shots fired after I have popped SP:G will still not register life leech against Reflect Damage mobs. I know there is a bit of a bug with channeled abilities like Rapid Fire and potentially Strafe, but Ball Lightning is NOT a channeled ability, so why it's doing that...I don't know.
10/26/2012 12:53 PMPosted by Sephiroth

I spent a fair amount of time after 1.05 launched figuring out what MP I could do. (About 1-2, my all resist is quite low.) After tuesday's hotfix, I played for a couple of hours, and cleared about 3/4 of Act III on MP4. I wouldn't call this "efficient" - I think I was marginal for MP4 at that point.

This wasn't really possible in my experience prior to that hotfix. That's neat and stuff, but I don't really care at this point, I am pretty tired of this game anyway. However, my character is pretty sensitive to elemental damage.

So when I saw this thread, I decided I'd try it out and see if I noticed any difference. I figured if this were a typical forum BS post, I wouldn't notice anything. On the other hand, if damage was worse, I assumed I'd notice it easily. Since I already knew my character was on the borderline for MP4, it seemed like a reasonable test.

Anyway, when I tried this last night, I died on 8/10 elite packs. (I nearly died twice on one pack, although it was a particularly tough set of affixes. I rolled one pack - literally didn't realize I was fighting an elite pack until I got to the last mob.) I got about 1/2 way through level 2 of the keeps when it became quite obvious that I wasn't cutting it on MP4.

During that time, I used about as many healing potions as I did during that level and a half run as I did through the run of 3/4's of Act III two nights prior. I also used strategically every health globe that dropped - also in marked contrast to the prior evening.

This was not an especially subtle difference, and I don't believe it was my imagination.
@Dutchmilk

I support your call for a comment by the blues.
Read this thread and decided to check it out. I normally run MP5 to Ghom with about 3-4 deaths not including Fallen Maniacs. So I went home and ran it at lunch...had 2 deaths not including Fallen Maniacs. This included various troubling affix combos such as Desecrator, reflects damage, arcane, electric.

I saw 100% no difference what so ever. I even felt in some regards it was a tad easier than I felt it was before.
10/26/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Tanakeah
've actually noticed some irregularities with Shadow Power: Gloom in terms of its Life Steal against Reflect Damage mobs over the last few days even before this patch. Sometimes I will pop it and I will get no life leech back from either my Ball Lightning attacks, or my Cluster Arrows. Or at least, it seems I will get no LL from the shots already in the air in terms of Ball Lightning, but then shots fired after I have popped SP:G will still not register life leech against Reflect Damage mobs. I know there is a bit of a bug with channeled abilities like Rapid Fire and potentially Strafe, but Ball Lightning is NOT a channeled ability, so why it's doing that...I don't know.

Maybe they did undone reflective affix but change it to a new affix, the absorbing affix.

The abilities from the likes of life on hit, life steals, stuns to blinding are all absorbed and taken away by Elites.

( Okay, I admit, this is me wearing tin foil hat at it's peak! :P Just for fun! )
Okay, so it's not just me than!? I was rocking the mp 7 ubers with my buddies the other day, now all of the suddon even the bosses minions one shot me.
@Dutchmilk

I support your call for a comment by the blues.

This is what i am doing. Keeping this thread afloat.

I am greatly irritated by it to be honest.

Not because i have to re-gear or anything, I don't mind doing that. As for the buff, I personally don't mind it as well. But hey, the very fact they don't seem to grow a pair to come out and address certain issues, when these issues seriously need addressing, or make changes that does not justify anything. That does irritated the hell out of me.

They don't own me a explanation, but they do own the consumers one!
I agree seems game is tougher after hot fix. No tin foil hat.
If blue does not look into this I'm taking a little time off to let the game "settle".
As it is, I quit playing my HC dude. So glad I did. This is crazy.

I bet the AH is noticing a spike in resist all item though. I know that's the first thing I did last night.

BLUE POST PLEASE. At least come on here and tell us you lookinh into it, or we are all crazy. But post somthing.
If blue does not look into this I'm taking a little time off to let the game "settle".
As it is, I quit playing my HC dude. So glad I did. This is crazy.

I bet the AH is noticing a spike in resist all item though. I know that's the first thing I did last night.

BLUE POST PLEASE. At least come on here and tell us you lookinh into it, or we are all crazy. But post somthing.

I seriously doubt they ever will. :(
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]