Diablo® III

Taking way more damage today than yesterday..

Community Manager
Hey all!

I just wanted to thank everyone for describing their experiences and reporting to us a possible issue with monster damage when Monster Power is activated. We really appreciate it when you let us know of potential problems affecting the game. /highfive

We've investigated the matter thoroughly, however, and have verified that scaling bonuses to monster damage at each level of MP have not changed, and that they are currently using the correct values. Those values are detailed in full in this post. For reference, we've not only checked the actual data but have run several tests both in an internal test environment and in the live game, and everything checks out as it should.

We'll continue to monitor this thread and your reports over the weekend and will follow-up if needed. As a reminder, though, if you believe you may have encountered a bug while playing, please be sure to post in the Bug Report forum so that our QA team can investigate.
thanks for the confirmation =)
Hey all!

I just wanted to thank everyone for describing their experiences and reporting to us a possible issue with monster damage when Monster Power is activated. We really appreciate it when you let us know of potential problems affecting the game. /highfive

We've investigated the matter thoroughly, however, and have verified that scaling bonuses to monster damage at each level of MP have not changed, and that they are currently using the correct values. Those values are detailed in full in [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6933236334"]this post[/url]. For reference, we've not only checked the actual data but have run several tests both in an internal test environment and in the live game, and everything checks out as it should.

We'll continue to monitor this thread and your reports over the weekend and will follow-up if needed. As a reminder, though, if you believe you may have encountered a bug while playing, please be sure to post in the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386229/"]Bug Report forum[/url] so that our QA team can investigate.

Really? I am not doubting your word by any means but something has been changed. Is it possible that something else is broke and then in turn it breaks the damage?
Edited by Emllik#1928 on 10/26/2012 6:55 PM PDT
Community Manager
10/26/2012 06:53 PMPosted by Thorsten
thanks for the confirmation =)

Apologies for it taking so long, but thank you again for all the reports. We just wanted to double-check all the values to make sure everything was working correctly -- or, on the flip side, know for a fact that it wasn't -- before we weighed in.
Community Manager
So everyone is just making this up now? I never come and !@#$% on forums but there has been a change. I just started playing from 1.02 but blizzard just when I was starting to like this game again you go do your typical crap. When the next patch comes out I will just remember that last time and move on. Killed the game because of greed.

According to all of our tests, the damage values haven't changed. But, like I said, we're going to continue monitoring the issue and your posts over the weekend just in case there's something else affecting your experience.
Do all your tests you want. My tests are what counts.
I hate to do this, but let me quote my own post.

Sorry folks, but I don't notice any difference at all. And yes, I played plenty today. I've played every day since 1.05. I certainly noticed the damage decrease a couple days ago (which they announced). As far as I'm concerned, it's still that way. In fact, I wouldn't have guessed a single thing has changed until I looked here on the forums.

This seems like nothing more than a case of massive confirmation bias. Yes, something seems strong when you have a huge pack of people backing it up. But it's not unheard of for fiction to be so well backed by a large throng of people. Note things like corroborating stories of alien abductions (they tend to discuss things together, and amongst all the talk, obviously similarities in stories will arise, and they use those similarities to strengthen their claims). It seems nice that so many people, without having met before, can share similar independent stories of alien abductions, but that doesn't make it anything other than claims not backed up by anything besides anecdotal evidence.

People tend to want to think that they cannot be faulted for their failures. This leads to a lot of selective perception, which means they're not objectively processing the picture as a whole, but rather, taking the bits that help confirm what they already want to believe. And when they see others on the forums doing the same thing, it strengthens their conviction.

Thanks, Lyrria, for confirming that is is nothing but a case of mass delusion. Yes, when a few people share the same delusion, and they use a form of media to strengthen each others' convictions, to the point that a massive thread comes about, the case seems compelling. This is similar to how religions, cults, conspiracy theories, and other such nonsense arises. You have to note that, when this happens, the case itself has not ascended from anything beyond anecdote.

Whenever I have a ton of lag, and massive lag spikes, I want nothing more than to jump on the forums and look for others that report the same thing. When we can go all merry and say "hey, Blizzards' servers suck! hahaha!" But I have to face the fact that I'm in a wireless home, with room mates that like to download.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 10/26/2012 7:01 PM PDT
I would also like an explanation as to how I get killed instantly with the molten affix exploding when I kill an elite with the affix. Before this 1.05a I could sit there and take one with no problem. Or better yet how I could sit in the arcane sentry beam and barely see my life drop. Now its about half my health gone if not more just like that.
Edited by Craig1521#1130 on 10/26/2012 7:03 PM PDT
10/26/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Craig1521
I would also like an explanation as to how I get killed instantly with the molten affix exploding when I kill an elite with the affix. Before this 1.05a I could sit there and take one with no problem.

There could be a million reasons. Damage values vary. Some have rolls where the max damage is twice the minimum. Sometimes you had a buff/debuff. Sometimes you weren't at full life, even though you thought you were. Sometimes multiple molten explosions get superimposed to look like one. Some monsters, whom are stronger than others, can have stronger molten effects. Etc.

If you tell me that you did a controlled experiment in both environments, wherein you made sure that all possible variable factors are identical, and did this many times for more statistical confidence against random damage variation, recording each outcome and doing statistical analysis to make sure they both follow different damage roll distributions, and against different monsters who might have different powered molten explosions, I will call you a liar.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 10/26/2012 7:06 PM PDT
I would also like an explanation as to how I get killed instantly with the molten affix exploding when I kill an elite with the affix. Before this 1.05a I could sit there and take one with no problem.

There could be a million reasons. Damage values vary. Some have rolls where the max damage is twice the minimum. Sometimes you had a buff/debuff. Sometimes you weren't at full life, even though you thought you were. Sometimes multiple molten explosions get superimposed to look like one. Etc.

If you tell me that you did a controlled experiment in both environments, wherein you made sure that all possible variable factors are identical, and did this many times for more statistical confidence against random damage variation, I will call you a liar.

Nope. I tried it at full health. Many times... it wasn't controlled experiment clearly.. but when you play enough you notice a difference is all I'm saying. Something has changed. I was rocking mp5 with ease. All of a sudden I am struggling as are others. Just doesn't make sense.
Edited by Craig1521#1130 on 10/26/2012 7:06 PM PDT
I haven't noticed any damage changes and I run at MP2.

Different mobs and affixes have different challenges, you know.
Some people posted that yesterday (day of the patch) that they were taking more damage than the day before (day before the patch).

Some people posted that today (day after the patch) they are taking more damage than yesterday (day of the patch).

Just saying. Something is fishy with some of these posts. And again, I haven't noticed a change.
All levels of MP are no threat.
yeah, no change.

I haven't noticed any damage changes and I run at MP2.

Different mobs and affixes have different challenges, you know.

yeah i quote this guy and the rest of those saying this.

people are so quick to whine about blizzard messing up. I'd say blizzard truly cares about this game and the people playing it that they actually conduct tests based on your bull!@#$ forum posts.

stop wasting their time with your insecurities and let them focus on the beloved PVP!!!
Hey all!

We've investigated the matter thoroughly, however, and have verified that scaling bonuses to monster damage at each level of MP have not changed, and that they are currently using the correct values. Those values are detailed in full in [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6933236334"]this post[/url]. For reference, we've not only checked the actual data but have run several tests both in an internal test environment and in the live game, and everything checks out as it should.

We'll continue to monitor this thread and your reports over the weekend and will follow-up if needed. As a reminder, though, if you believe you may have encountered a bug while playing, please be sure to post in the [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/5386229/"]Bug Report forum[/url] so that our QA team can investigate.

What do you know? I was right again.

Another one of these threads bites the dust.
Edited by Yura#2182 on 10/26/2012 7:21 PM PDT
10/26/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Craig1521
I would also like an explanation as to how I get killed instantly with the molten affix exploding when I kill an elite with the affix. Before this 1.05a I could sit there and take one with no problem. Or better yet how I could sit in the arcane sentry beam and barely see my life drop. Now its about half my health gone if not more just like that.

The explanation is simple. You are supposed to avoid that stuff and not get hit. You are not suppose to lounge in arcane beams or molten.
I have now lost complete faith in blizzard.

As far as I am concerned they are willing to bold faced lie to our faces.

The differences I have experienced today and yesterday versus the 24th are profound to say the least.

Not only does my WD take more damage, but my pets are practically proof on their own that something has changed.

20+ runs without a pet death vs respawning dogs 2-3 times per game at a lower mp level.

My gear and skills and stats are the same.

NOW this has turned into a tinfoil hat issue.

EDIT:

RD has also changed without a doubt.

I didnt even pay attention to whether or not the mp packs I was fighting had RD or not on the 24th. It didn't matter at the time. I am now doing everything I can to avoid RD, as I can no longer use bears vs RD. As I said, same gear and stats.
Edited by LordSpanky#1497 on 10/26/2012 7:27 PM PDT
Same Here ... i die alot today ..
10/26/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Replay

The explanation is simple. You are supposed to avoid that stuff and not get hit. You are not suppose to lounge in arcane beams or molten.

When I have enough damage mitigation it doesn't matter. I avoid them when there are multiple ones but there wasn't a need to before.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]