Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

11/17/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Royal
I'm glad this thread exists, because I need the help. I need more EHp, I know, but I can't seem to find anything that isn't hundreds of millions of gold on the AH. Any Advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

A cheap and dirty source of eHP is the mempo. I can't suggest it enough. It gives you great eHP (all resist, %life, socket for more life, dodge, armour, and can even have vit on it) without completely destroying your DPS. You can get ~200 dex on them for 5m. While it will most likely drop your DPS a little bit compared to your andys, your eHP will probably jump up by 75k easily.
Thank you so much! Any other big jumps you can see besides the helm?
11/17/2012 05:58 PMPosted by Royal
Thank you so much! Any other big jumps you can see besides the helm?

Both your boots and bracers are missing AR. Boots should definitely have it, and bracers should definitely have it if you aren't trying to optimize dex and vit. Since your bracers have pretty standard dex and no vit, I would suggest looking for ones that have AR instead of int. Failing that, you could take the high dex, high vit route that I did. While it may not be the best, from an eHP standpoint, it is comparable or even better than AR, and offers higher DPS. It's more expensive though. I would suggest basic AR/dex/vit/cc bracers for now while you work on improving the rest of your gear to optimize DPS too.

You also really need to increase your vit. That would give you a huge source of eHP. Try aiming for 40k.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 11/17/2012 6:15 PM PST
I switched from DH to Monk in 1.02., while my Monk is a beast, my DH has fallen off. I just started falling in love w/ my DH again this week[he's wearing my Monk gear and some stuff I grabbed off AH(Quiver, Windforce, Chest & Helm)].

Am I on the right track? What should be changed? What skills, passives and gear? Pros please help a re-noob out!

*My new Windforce isn't shown, 1340.9 dps, 11% IAS, 1.25 hatred regen, 46.9% knockback and socket! I love it more than my 1069, 243dex, 71%chd, 2 socket Manticore that I found.

I am thinking about switching the quiver out to a Hungering Arrow version, thoughts?
Edited by Azakiah#1996 on 11/17/2012 7:38 PM PST
In serious need of help, honestly i dont know whether or not im building my gear correctly. any advice would be great.

also having massive issues with money, im practically dirt poor with like 200k, im struggling to keep up
I need some help pretty badly. I'm looking to farm mp1 act 1/act 3 as fast as possible, and I have about 9.9M funding what do you suggest upgrading to achieve this? How much money should I dump into each part of my equips? Thanks in advance!
I took a lot of the advice you gave me in raising by build to new heights! The tools and suggestions provided have gone a long way towards raising my dps while maintaining a healthy lead on eHP (a novel survivability indicator with pleasing in-game results). The d3up website is great for all that and once I got the simulators up and running I got really good feedback as to how to get the best boosts for my gold! For example, I had what I considered godly bracers worth quite a lot based on their CC, vit, ar, and dex, but wound up buying a nice set of strongarms for much less that effectively raised my eHP and Dex on the basis that the way my build was standing, vit and AR had roughly the same effect on eHP and I was able to stack a lot more vit than AR for a lot cheaper. Thanks~

Suggestions? Ooo... I would suggest a broader view. It is my one criticism. The advice given seems to push towards one conclusion for build viability. High eHP, CC, some attack spd, and a good manti. Though I've put a lot of your suggestions to use, I'm still smoking mp5 with my LS calamity. The massive gain in attack speed seems to propel the discipline gain from night stalker and having the LS still going when my resources do get depleted has kept my head above water where using a somewhat better dps manti seems to leave me on E for discpline or dead more often, but a for a build in which more frequent attacks mean more chances to stun and sprays of teeth, and thus better AoE and return on lifesteal I guess it makes sense.

For someone who can afford every-slot trifecta gear I suppose it wouldn't make sense to gear towards the build so much, but it might help some of the lower-budget shorter time players to have a couple archetypes (speed demon, crit monster, tank) to choose between and build towards for low end farming that will put them into better gear and tighter builds.
@Azakiah

You're absolutely on the right track. Your DPS is excellent, especially considering you're a bow user. I would agree with your idea of changing your quiver. You should look for one with higher AS (DML can roll up to 20%). If you like hungering arrow, go for it. You might also want to try out bola before you settle on it though.

I changed to bola in 1.0.5 and like it quite a bit. It deals pretty good area damage (bigger area and damage than HA) so I thought I would give it a shot. I only use it for elite packs, so it lets me basically target one and kill them all at roughly the same speed (and any white trash that is nearby). With that high area damage, it makes facetanking a cakewalk with gloom. So I suggest you try it.

I'd also suggest you switch away from multishot and use ball lightening, especially for higher MP levels, but that does not effect your choice of gear in any way. I am also of the opinion that you should have a discipline generator. For you, night stalker would be incredible (your CC is huge). Either drop steady aim or perfectionist for it (I chose perfectionist). You might want to consider getting a mempo as your headgear. With CC the cost goes up, but it quickly becomes a far superior piece for your headgear slot. It gives you great eHP in the form of AR, %life, socket for vit gem and high dex, which translates to DPS and dodge chance. You would lose your 4piece nats set bonus though. I had that debate with myself a while ago and decided to do it. Should you choose this route, I suggest looking into a +10 disc armour to compensate for your smaller disc pool. Some people don't mind having 30, but I find myself facetanking more than most, so I like having the extra ability to gloom.

@Strider

Given your budget, I'd say you're definitely on the right track! Keep working at getting more gold though! I don't really know what to suggest for 200k, and nothing is really standing out for me.

@BlindShots

With a small budget, it's pretty tough to narrow down what to change. What I feel would probably increase your DPS a lot would be a 1200 DPS manticore. I know those aren't too expensive. Also look into nats chest and boots. That set bonus will help. If you can swing the cost, nats reflection for the 3piece bonus wouldn't be a bad idea.

@Cerberus

I'm glad my advice has been helping you!

Thank you for your suggestions. While I absolutely understand that some people love different play styles, I'm neither as experienced with them nor as supportive of them. The other day I found a very underpriced 1 soc calamity with 1170 DPS, so I bought it to flip it. Before I did that, I tried it out. While I did find it worked well enough, I didn't find it to be as effective as my manticore. My manticore isn't anything special (probably worth a mere 20m with current prices), whereas this calamity was worth over 70m. It made me lose 20k DPS and I felt myself far less smooth at killing things and came closer to death much more often. From a cost-effectiveness standpoint, I find it hard to advise people to pursue these types of builds, especially when most people have limited budgets.

I understand there are pros and cons to different builds (particularly with different playstyles), but I generally concentrate on maximizing damage and survivability for minimal cost. When I have time, I will try to become more familiar with these types of builds so I can help advise people. Thank you for the suggestions.

@BlindShots

With a small budget, it's pretty tough to narrow down what to change. What I feel would probably increase your DPS a lot would be a 1200 DPS manticore. I know those aren't too expensive. Also look into nats chest and boots. That set bonus will help. If you can swing the cost, nats reflection for the 3piece bonus wouldn't be a bad idea.

I was told I should spend about 1M trying to upgrade every other part of my set, and leave my xbow be? Trying to look for eps with vit dex cc and cd, what else do u suggest?
Edited by BlindShots#1578 on 11/18/2012 11:58 AM PST

@BlindShots

I was told I should spend about 1M trying to upgrade every other part of my set, and leave my xbow be? Trying to look for eps with vit dex cc and cd, what else do u suggest?

Everybody has an opinion, but I just found a 2.5m manticore with about 1200 DPS that would increase your DPS by 17.5k DPS (unbuffed) without changing your gem. Getting a star emerald would boost that to 20k. I can't think of many upgrades that can offer a DPS boost like that. Individual upgrades that are so cheap are a waste of gold imo. Nothing you can upgrade for 1m will be with you for very long, so I am of the opinion that you should work towards a higher standard of gear piece by piece, starting with the most cost effective DPS and eHP gains. If you want eHP, go grab a mempo. I simulated a 3m mempo for you too. It reduced your DPS by a little bit (net DPS gain with that manticore I simulated was 14k which is 3.5k less than with your andy's) but it boosted your eHP by 37k (without a vit gem). If you put in a square amethyst (I really suggest upgrading from that across the board though), your eHP will go up by 53k.

There are certainly more ways to optimize your build, but as you can see, my suggestion gives you pretty good bang for your buck. The manticore is certainly a really good way to boost your DPS though.
@Genesis

So I'm back again... this time though with some gear changes obviously, still haven't bought new shoulders yet (been holding out for a good deal), but atm I stand to make 450mil+ (could be more depending on last minute bids) from a sale and I'm debating what to do with that money. I'm guessing new shoulders would be a must... I've been looking for a new ammy but most are way too pricey.

Anyway just interested in hearing your thoughts on how to best utilize the newfound cash. I'm not really fond of saving money, and this is my first really big sale, so I'm eager to upgrade my DH as efficiently as possible.
@Genesis

So I'm back again... this time though with some gear changes obviously, still haven't bought new shoulders yet (been holding out for a good deal), but atm I stand to make 450mil+ (could be more depending on last minute bids) from a sale and I'm debating what to do with that money. I'm guessing new shoulders would be a must... I've been looking for a new ammy but most are way too pricey.

Anyway just interested in hearing your thoughts on how to best utilize the newfound cash. I'm not really fond of saving money, and this is my first really big sale, so I'm eager to upgrade my DH as efficiently as possible.

Your build looks good! If I had that sort of cash and you gear, I would do four things. First is your quiver. Get a DML with 18-20% AS, 9-10% CC (both you already have), except try to get another 100 dex on it and a useful bonus (eg: hungering arrow or bola). That dex bonus will be a huge DPS boost. Next would be a better bow. Look into 1200 DPS 2 socs. They are pricey, but will boost your DPS substantially. Third thing, which you already mentioned, are your shoulders. Try to get a high dex vile with vit. Fourth is improving your mempo. If you can grab one with CC on it, your DPS will jump substantially. If I'm not mistaken, 3% CC added to my mempo adds about 10k DPS. It's a pricey purchase, but is a nice DPS boost. You may not be able to do all of this with 450m, but these are the sort of things you are left with to improve on.
Id love a little advice, gimme you best shot
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Broken241-1427/
any tips to help me get to 200k dps? can't seem to find any upgrades that don't cost at least 40-50m.
Open to suggestions.
Limited budget though unfortunately. I got about 10 mil left which kinda sucks. But anything that will help me reach 100k+ dps at least.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Karltotero-1337/hero/10223689
I'd love some advice to help boost my dps. I know my EHP is a bit on the lower side and can be better. Thanks in advance!
@Mikehawk

Can't see your profile!

@Broken241

Not even any words? Sorry.

@CC85

You're really close! Very nice. Something to look into is a calamity. It should give you higher base damage, higher CD (no dex though, so it might not be better?). Worth looking into, as I see basically all high end DW DHs using it. Similarly, most either use a DML or danetta's as an offhand. Another boost for your DPS would be ditching your vit gems. While it's expensive, getting 100% gems in your weapons will really help too. That extra 20% CD will probably amount to over 5k DPS (an extra 20% would add 9k buffed to my build). Another spot would be your boots. While I see you rely on them for some vit, if you can find a way to relocate the vit away from your boots, ~200 dex nats boots become available which would slap on a ton of extra damage. Between these things, you could push past 200k pretty easily I think.

@Karltotero

Honestly, the cheapest upgrade for you would be getting a high damage manticore with only 1 soc. I moved away from my 1070 DPS manti for a 1260 DPS 1 soc and it boosted my DPS by over 10k. Then again yesterday I got myself an even better 1 soc which further boosted my DPS by another 10k. So basically by moving to a 1 soc, I was able to upgrade my DPS by about 20k. I know for a fact that you can get a high damage 1 soc for 5m. Alternatively, ditch the wiling host for nats ring, and ditch your boots for nats boots. The set bonuses and better base stats across the board will help you substantially. I bet you could do all that for about 10m, maybe a bit more.

@aletrial

If you're concerned about your eHP, the first suggestions I have is a mempo. They offer you reasonable DPS (high dex and attack speed) while also overloading you with eHP opions (AR, %life, socket for life gem, vit/str/int). They aren't even very expensive, so I feel it is a key piece of gear for DHs to have these days, especially if they aren't going for a 4 piece nats bonus (be it leg or not). If you're concerned about increasing your life, try finding some shoulders that have vit. You don't NEED to have viles (though they are getting pretty cheap), but they are nice. Equivalent rares might be better and/or cheaper. As for DPS, a goal of yours should be to build up enough eHP so that you can move your pants and belt out of a good DPS slot (innas 2 piece or innas pants with witching hour). Looks good though!
I currently run a mf set (mostly a mp0 act 3 pub guy) in the hopes of getting a godly gear or two someday, so naturally, I have a piss poor set of gear atm. I'm not exactly looking at the prospect of going full out dps in the long run either,so I wanted to see your opinion on whether I should go for a witching hour+inna temp OR a inna favor+temp for the pants and belt, in terms of dps+decent ehp

p.s. Also, as I slowly lvl, I'm removing bits of my mf set. I want to know what Immediatee upgrade I would need next (something with dps preferably crit chance, + some ehp would be nice)

p.p.s. inb4 upgrade to radiant emeralds; I have been planning this for a while now tbh, just haven't gotten around to getting gold for it (or just tempted into buying a gear) :<
Edited by Neo#1863 on 11/20/2012 7:56 PM PST
I currently run a mf set (mostly a mp0 act 3 pub guy) in the hopes of getting a godly gear or two someday, so naturally, I have a piss poor set of gear atm. I'm not exactly looking at the prospect of going full out dps in the long run either,so I wanted to see your opinion on whether I should go for a witching hour+inna temp OR a inna favor+temp for the pants and belt, in terms of dps+decent ehp

p.s. Also, as I slowly lvl, I'm removing bits of my mf set. I want to know what Immediatee upgrade I would need next (something with dps preferably crit chance, + some ehp would be nice)

p.p.s. inb4 upgrade to radiant emeralds; I have been planning this for a while now tbh, just haven't gotten around to getting gold for it (or just tempted into buying a gear) :<

I have a differing opinion about MF gear. I'll tell you why and then I'll suggest gear changes.

Now more than ever, MF gear isn't all that useful. With paragon and MP, your MF gets a huge boost. The way I've gone about it is trying to maximize my DPS and eHP so that I can do high MP (if I want to) so that I can receive the boosts to MF. At the same time, doing low MP runs with pure DPS gear lets me clear it extremely quickly and painlessly, allowing me to do more runs over time, which is kinda like MF.

If that doesn't make sense, think of this simple example. If you do a 1 run in 20 mins with MF gear killing 100 things and having a 3% chance at getting something you want. Without your MF gear, you can do 3 runs in the same time, so you kill 300 things. Your chance goes down to 1%, but since you've killed so many more things, you still get the same number of good things. However, the more good things you get, the more chances you have at getting something good. This is a REALLY crude example, but I hope you see what I mean. On top of that, killing stuff fast is fun haha.

So I would suggest you start moving away from your MF concentration and look to some more DPS and eHP oriented builds so that you can optimize your times.

For your gear, a good DPS/eHP piece would be a mempo. You'll increase your DPS and eHP while still giving you a slot for your MF gem (if you want it). Also, I would drop your 2 soc manti for a high DPS 1 soc. I made that transition and have benefitted immensely. To be honest, a lot of the key DPS pieces won't have MF on them, or if they do, the cost will be pretty high.

As for your witching hour vs. 2 piece nats question, I am a strong believer that inna's is better for most people. I have compared my inna's belt to very pricey witching hours, and more often than not, inna's belt comes out on top or comes short by less than 1k DPS (not worth quintupling the cost in my opinion). Certainly for your stage of gearing, don't go near a witching hour. I made that mistake a while ago. Definitely opened my eyes when I made the and improved massively for a fraction of the cost.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]