Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

@Genenis: many thanks for your helpful advise since my previous post, now I'm getting stuck to increase DPS while maintaining EHP, the problem with my gears is my Rare xbow because it contribute a lot of HP, if I replace it with Calamity (around 1.1K) my DPS will be boosted by 18K, but my HP will drop from 57K to 40K, pls help me out.
Edited by Paksonghip#1355 on 11/28/2012 6:55 PM PST
Do you actually need that much HP though? You could swap a few gems around and still come out ahead on DPS (with similar HP) if you wanted to.

If I were you, I'd have changed amulets a while ago :O Looks like you could probably affordably upgrade life and DPS if you wanted to, or you could go just an EHP upgrade to offset the calamity change.
@Ressiv: Thanks for your feedback. Now I'm standing at 570K EHP (w/ dodge) and I'm experienced that fairly enough for MP7/MP8 (I run MP7/8 for key hunting), therefore I don't want to loose much EHP, besides If I sacrifice my DPS for EHP it will take too long to kill Elite.
I've snipped AH along time for changing my Amulet (I usually play like 1 hour/day when my wife and children went to sleep :P), but I still can not find a proper one to upgrade (affordable with by limited budget).
Edited by Paksonghip#1355 on 11/28/2012 8:15 PM PST
Hey Genesis thank you so much for all the advice and help you've given me over the last week. My profile has updated with all my stats, but I only have enough money to get either a new DML or a new ammy. Which one do you think is more important?
Great thread!

Trying to boost my DPS and survivability of possible. Goal: efficiently complete mp0/1 alkaizer runs. I can complete them ok but my eHP is very low IMO and can die if not paying attention. I know a mempo would be a huge eHP boost but I don't really want to break nats set bonus of 20 extra disc bc that really helps speed up these runs. My budget is around 150 mil. Wanting to keep the hellfire (weak roll I know) and the ruby in helm for xp. Currently using enchantress but would scoundrel with cold damage bow help control mobs any better? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
@d373rmined

I would try to see what you coudl get from getting an amulet with +Crit dmg and +crit chance over CC and Atk Spd.

Also, see what you can do with your shoulders. I got 200dex with 77RA and 62 Vit for like 5mil.
I would like some help, if I can get it.

I can currently do mp3-4 fine by myself but mp5 and on I start having trouble. I would like to be able to do higher levels.

I entered my battle tag on diabloprogress but it is not up to date.

If you can help me, it would be appreciated. Thanks

Currently I have on a Leoric ring for paragon lvl, but for higher MP I use a wailing ring.
Edited by tr0jandude#1248 on 11/29/2012 8:04 PM PST
Paksonghip: I do 6-7 sometimes with less than 1/3 the EHP (IIRC). Especially if you tweak the gems you'll still have more EHP than you need. (Not to say my amount is ideal for higher levels, but it is doable.)

eun!@#$park: Ammy 100%. It has no crit on it. Gaining 7+ % crit will be a massive quality of life upgrade even if you only get a sidegrade on paper DPS. Much more effective than an incremental upgrade on DML.

d373rmined: Why are your gems that bad if you really have 150m to spend? Easy DPS there. (Or EHP if you want.) Your ammy stats are pretty low - I would start there.

Windforce knockback is badass. Some people swear by cold + buriza, but as far as I know the freeze doesn't go off as much or last as long.

Trojan: You definitely need a hellfire, way more DPS and EXP (even on a bad roll.) You don't need 3 items with movement speed - I would swap lacunis for stormarms or anything with high dex and crit.

You would need to check this, but if you swapped your witching to innas belt, innas chest to nats, and got a 2nd socket in your manticore you should come out ahead a lot in DPS and similiar EHP. With selling the current pieces that should hopefully not cost too much. (That'll cost you attack speed on 2 slots though which would leave you with it on 3. Not terrible but depending on how fussy you are you might want to try pick up some more on ammy or something, but it would be expensive to rebuy your current one with it.)

Genesis: Where are you? I'm stealing your thread if you don't come back :P
Hi Genesis,
I would like to get some advice about my current items and get some insight for my skills. Thank you in advance.
Hi Genesis,

Thanks again for your advice. I've spent the last couple weeks upgrading my DH and now I can sorta farm and lvl decently.

What do you think I should focus on next? I know each piece of eq needs to be better... like adding extra CC, 2 soc on manti, etc. but what would make the biggest difference? The next upgrades are quite expensive... most of them are 50 mil + per piece, so I don't know if I can make the next jump as efficiently.

I find that I still do the Alk runs too slowly in A3 on mp1, is it because my dps is too low? I want to keep my extra dis on eq (like quiver and chest) because I find they really come in handy. I also prefer to use tactical adv, vengeance and night stalker as passives because they help w/ regen and speed. Is there anything I can do, besides keep farming for more $ to buy best in slots?

Thanks!
If anyone has any advice, I would appreciate it. I have about 40mil to spend right now. I keep finding that for 20mil, I only get about 5-8k dmg (w/o SS) without sacraficing def or HP. Or, I can lose a 3-5k HP for 8-10k dmg. Which hardly seems worth 20mil.

I have trouble with reflect dmg mobs on MP3+ (I can farm MP 4-5 fairly easily). So Im wondering if I should try to add some HP on hit or HP regen or adjust skills so I get some HP back.
Hi Genesis,

Thanks again for your advice. I've spent the last couple weeks upgrading my DH and now I can sorta farm and lvl decently.

What do you think I should focus on next? I know each piece of eq needs to be better... like adding extra CC, 2 soc on manti, etc. but what would make the biggest difference? The next upgrades are quite expensive... most of them are 50 mil + per piece, so I don't know if I can make the next jump as efficiently.

I find that I still do the Alk runs too slowly in A3 on mp1, is it because my dps is too low? I want to keep my extra dis on eq (like quiver and chest) because I find they really come in handy. I also prefer to use tactical adv, vengeance and night stalker as passives because they help w/ regen and speed. Is there anything I can do, besides keep farming for more $ to buy best in slots?

Thanks!

Best I could mention would be gloves. Sacrafice a little CC to add 8% attack speed. Probably can do for 5mil and add 6-10k DPS.

Other than that, you just have to get better dex/AS/CC/CD stuff which is all 50+mil items
COuld you buy a Alk farming set. If your farming MP1 fast, your disc shouldnt be a huge concern - that should be more of a concern on uber runs or mp5 runs. So maybe buy a 2nd chest and quiver to focus on dmg and give up the disc for alk runs
Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy couple days. I'm working on the responses now!
Paksonghip: I do 6-7 sometimes with less than 1/3 the EHP (IIRC). Especially if you tweak the gems you'll still have more EHP than you need. (Not to say my amount is ideal for higher levels, but it is doable.)

eun!@#$park: Ammy 100%. It has no crit on it. Gaining 7+ % crit will be a massive quality of life upgrade even if you only get a sidegrade on paper DPS. Much more effective than an incremental upgrade on DML.

d373rmined: Why are your gems that bad if you really have 150m to spend? Easy DPS there. (Or EHP if you want.) Your ammy stats are pretty low - I would start there.

Windforce knockback is badass. Some people swear by cold + buriza, but as far as I know the freeze doesn't go off as much or last as long.

Trojan: You definitely need a hellfire, way more DPS and EXP (even on a bad roll.) You don't need 3 items with movement speed - I would swap lacunis for stormarms or anything with high dex and crit.

You would need to check this, but if you swapped your witching to innas belt, innas chest to nats, and got a 2nd socket in your manticore you should come out ahead a lot in DPS and similiar EHP. With selling the current pieces that should hopefully not cost too much. (That'll cost you attack speed on 2 slots though which would leave you with it on 3. Not terrible but depending on how fussy you are you might want to try pick up some more on ammy or something, but it would be expensive to rebuy your current one with it.)

Genesis: Where are you? I'm stealing your thread if you don't come back :P

Thanks for the advice. I just bought nats chest and helm. I did try to put on inna's belt but it did not do much for me.
So far i tried to find an upgrade for my ammy but they cost way too much. I did however upgrade my gloves and that gave me a good DPS boost.

Profile hasn't updated yet, but if there is any other advise, that would be awesome.
Hey Genesis, nice thread!

I don't play a DH myself but I'm here on behalf of my brother.

It's his B'day and I'd like to spend 100m on his DH!!

Here's his profile:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/krash-6553/hero/883896

Could you please have a look and tell me which pieces I should target, would like to upgrade a few pieces apposed to just getting 1 piece for 100m.

Thank you kindly
-Gifted
Sorry for the huge delay! I had tons of stuff to do (presentations, projects, assignments, concert, life...) I did end up responding to everyone though!

@Impossible

For eHP, a mempo is hard to beat. Your shoulders could also use some work. These days, vile wards are pretty cheap. They offer excellent AR, armour, life regen, dex and vit. Getting high vit is pricey. I chose to get ones with high dex and low vit (every bit counts) since my eHP was pretty good already. Your inna's set is the legacy one, so I'd suggest getting the new one. It's much better and not too expensive. I would also suggest getting nats boots and armour to get yourself the 2 piece set bonus. Nats ring for the 3 piece bonus wouldn't be a bad idea, but I don't know your budget. Three major places that should get your eHP and life up to good levels are your headgear (mempo), shoulders (vile) and boots (nats bloody footprints). They all have high AR on them and a mempo will give you %life, a socket for a vit gem, and you could even get some vit on there.

@Ressiv

The issue with MF gear is that it often takes away vital spots on your gear. For example, your shoulders would be great if they had AR. Now more than ever, I am of the opinion that MF gear isn't useful. Between paragon, cheapness of good gear and MP, there are way better ways of improving your drops.

If you were to focus on DPS and eHP, your farming speed will increase and you might even be able to efficiently do higher MP levels (though the general consensus is that doing MP1 or MP2 is the best for drops). So basically with good gear, you can just rocket through everything quickly, thus getting more kills in a shorter time period (that means more drops). Your eHP is way too low. That is something you need to get up, otherwise you just won't be able to survive. I'd suggest taking a look at my first post and build to see what stats I would suggest aiming for.

For your specific questions, here it goes:

I absolutely approve of your mempo. Keep that!

Inna's belt would be a very good idea for your. Your belt has basically no eHP right now anyways, and the extra dex and damage will probably even boost it (extra dodge and dead things can't hit you).

If you want to change your weapon, look into high DPS 1 soc with dex. Relying on SS for CC isn't really a good idea since it constantly resets. Besides, once you reach about 35% CC, you don't even really need to worry about it. You'll be critting often enough that your gain from SS will be basically nothing. There are better passives you can use. I wouldn't bother with LS unless it happens to come along for free basically. The LS on there is a nice bonus, but you should really be relying on gloom (which relies on night stalker and CC to refuel disc).

Don't worry about your bracers. Those are fine. I'd personally ditch the MF for vit or AR, but it's not a point of concern at this point in time.

The truth is that you can't really reach great gear while looking for MF on everything. Sometimes it may come along as a bonus, but making it a criterion is really limiting. You're missing very vital stats on many of your pieces because they have MF instead. I find it hard to offer advice about making a well rounded and efficient character when inefficiencies are being imposed.

@Paksonghip

It's a tough call, but I would say it's absolutely worth it. My reason is threefold. Firstly, HP only goes so far. While having a certain value is good (I generally think about 40k), eHP is far more important. You'll take a fairly substantial eHP hit (about 75k), but you're already at about 500k so I think you can manage. I put you into a build calculator and it says your HP will go to 37k ish. It could be worse. I think this is a good wakeup call though. The fact that your vit is so dependant on a weapon (which should be for DPS) says that your other pieces are lacking. Having said that, dual wielders generally have lower HP (or a harder time getting it) since you aren't using a DML. A lot of top calamity users actually use a DML instead of a second bow, presumably for that reason, the extra AS, CC, dex, vit, and skill bonus. Worth considering, but not required.

In summary, I think you can handle the eHP loss for that weapon. Whether you do it or not, you may want to see if you can find some vit on other pieces. Your gloves could use some more vit and you could probably get a necky like yours with some vit (and probably some dex) that will really take the pressure off your bow. Though taking a look at your gear, you're actually have pretty decently spread out vit. Really it just comes down to your neck and gloves. Hopefully that helped.

@eun!@#$park

No problem! For your DML, I figure you'll be able to get at best another 100 dex at most and maybe 6 AS before things start getting extremely expensive. That will add a ton of DPS, and you could also get a bola bonus to really maximize your damage. While your ammy could be improved, I think your DML might have more room for improvement for the same price. I would check both though! Search for a good DML for your price range and simulate it. Do the same for an ammy. Whichever gives you the biggest overall upgrade (eHP and DPS being the primary focus), go for it! I have a pretty good feeling the DML will be best though. I've flipped a bunch of them over the past couple weeks and am shocked to see such good ones sell for so little. I'm pretty sure I got mine for 13m or something… It's not top tier, but 300+ dex with bola and decent CC and AS isn't trash. It's my second best DPS item (behind my manticore, obviously) and is one of my better eHP ones too. My ammy gives me less DPS and way less eHP and cost 10 times the amount… keep that in mind haha. With that said, your CC is a little bit low (not critically low, but it needs some work). Consider looking into getting one with CC and CD on it too if you can afford it.

@d373rmined

When I had a 4 piece nats set, I was afraid of breaking it up for the same reason as you. I ended up doing it and haven't looked back. It gives such a huge eHP and DPS boost that it's hard to pass up. I didn't want to deal with 30 disc, so I got disc on my armour to compensate. I may end up dropping it altogether at some point, but that's still up for debate. I would seriously consider it to be honest.

For solo play as a DH, scoundrel is excellent. If you slap a WF on him and use scatter shot, it just pounds the enemies away from you. It's excellent to keep the pressure off of you. I've had him pin elites against a wall while I pounded them haha.

With your budget, I'm assuming you want to get high DPS and solid survivability. If you can find places to get more vit (ammy and gloves could use more) and a mempo for the %life, you could potentially reduce the vit on your shoulders and get a ton more dex. If you keep the shoulders and get more vit, you can at least lose the vit gem in your pants. I'd try to get at least one trifecta roll on a HF if you can. That is a pretty brutal roll haha. If you ever consider changing your bow to a high damage one soc (I did that), you may want to see if you can get more CD on your gear instead of AS. Im comfortably sitting at 1.85 ish attacks per second without much in the way of extra AS rolls (just my gloves, the rest are from set items that always have it). Also, upgrade your gems! Even going to star would be a lot better haha.

@Trojandude

I've experimented with inna's chest in the past. While it works (and can be extremely effective), I chose to ditch it. If you were to swap it out for nats chest and then switch your WH for inna's belt, you'll get a ton more DPS (simulate it first). I've done a bunch of comparisons of WH and my current belt and the point at which WH begins to match mine is just obscenely expensive. Getting any significant gain requires substantial investment. So basically, that's saying stick with inna's belt and pants and then take advantage of the nats 3 piece set bonus. That should help boost your DPS a bit. You're also almost guaranteed to get another 50 vit at least on a nats chest, so you'll come out ahead.

eHP seems to be a bit of a problem for you, since that's most likely what's making MP5+ hard for you. You're at 300k (which isn't bad), but I'd try to get more. For that reason, I'm going to suggest you get a mempo. Your DPS may drop a bit, but your eHP will shoot up. It's very possible that if you get some vit on there, you could end up being nearly even on DPS and get 100k more eHP. It will also help offset your vit deficit if you get a vit roll (and you get %life on there too) so you might have enough to remove your vit gems to get more dex. Since your shoulders aren't anything too special, you may also look to get some vit there. I feel that if you get a mempo and a vit vile, your eHP will be high enough that you could handle MP5 if you really want to. If that isn't enough, your lacunis could be replaced with a rare or something like mine. It could give you dex, CC, vit and %life essentially leaving you with equal DPS (possibly even better) and more eHP. I've looked into lacunis in the past and found that anything worth it (namely, a CC roll with dex) costs too much for me.

@Ottoman

I'd suggest you read my first post. It really explains where I would suggest changes. In general though, I wouldn't ever use a nats sight unless you really really REALLY wanted the 4 piece set bonus. Even then, I tend to say it's not worth it. A mempo would do you way more good and then you could replace your boots with nats boots. If you're short on cash, I would suggest you sell that nats ring and get a cheaper one. That's actually a pretty nice ring (probably comparable to mine). You could probably build my entire sample build with what that would sell for (or some pretty close).

As for your skill selection, you're not doing bad. I would personally change out custom engineering for night stalker. You need a source of disc regen, so I would do that. Other than that, your build is definitely a solid one. It's basically what I use when I go into high MP levels. For speed farming, I don't bother with spike or sentry since things die so fast. I also don't bother with perfectionist since things don't often kill me (unless I'm not paying attention/drunk/asleep).

@Luooo

I wouldn't upgrade your bow for a while honestly. Getting a 2 soc that's any good (ie: 1200+ DPS) costs a %^-*ton. For now, your 1 soc will outdo basically all 2 sockets up until the 1150 DPS range, but that's just a ballpark. Point being, I wouldn't worry about that spot. I would highly suggest changing our your chest for one like mine. It's not worth much, but gives decent enough dex and vit (which yours lacks). It also has enough disc on there to warrant ditching that on your quiver. If you just look for a normal DML without disc, you can get much better dex rolls. You'll also get more freedom on the skill bonus. I'd suggest picking a skill that you use for single target killing. I've got with bola personally. You're getting near the point where upgrading your DPS is going to come pretty slowly. Keep upgrading your dex if you can. Aim for 3k if you can. Extremely rough math tells me that getting to 3k could give you 15k more DPS. Look for a second trifecta roll on your nats ring too.

If you want to try something new, see if you like bola - volatile explosives. I use it and find it extremely effective. It often takes out entire elite packs at approximately the same time while only having to target a single enemy. It also clears surrounding white trash. If you like it, get a DML with bola on it. For higher MP, you may also want to use spike traps. For that, get a spike trap bonus on your armour. You won't see these improvements on your paper DPS, but it adds up when you actually start doing damage.

@go1

If I were you, I would get a mempo and replace one of your rings with nats reflection. The reason you're having trouble surviving is because your eHP is quite low. You've got less than 135k eHP. I would suggest you replace your nats chest with one with disc instead of your DML. You can get much better rolls (and cheaper ones) with your DML. Aim for another 100 ish dex, a little more AS and a single target skill bonus (that is, HA or bola) since biggest thing slowing runs down are elites. You definitely aren't in a position where you should be looking at losing any eHP. Glass canons aren't effective with MP since monster HP doesn't even remotely scale to damage output. You need to be able to take some hits, which it seems you might be struggling with. I would also suggest a huge change of skill usage.

Your attacks are fine and pretty standard. YOU NEED TO HAVE GLOOM! That is why you die to reflect guys. Its a huge shock that you can survive MP5 without it honestly (and I suspect you can't without kiting all the time). I wouldn't use any of the other skills you are using, save for spike trap (but I use a echoing blast and only when doing high MP). You should definitely have prep - backup plan, shadow power - gloom and probably companion - bat or boar. I like vault as a 'get me out of trouble' button, but that's personal preference. I would really suggest you work on your CC. Try to get 40+ so that you can ditch SS. It's not a very good passive for most applications honestly. There are very specialized situations where it might be good, but that basically requires you to be a high end DH killing ubers with a team that can tank. Otherwise, you should have night stalker to fill your disc.

@Gifted

Sounds like a great idea! I'm sure he will love it.

First item would be boots. Get him 190 ish dex boots. They should be pretty cheap. A lot of other items kind of come down to preference. He seems to like AS over CD which I disagree with. Particularly as a bow user, CD is already hurting. The only other upgrade I know he would like would be a high damage soc WF (slap a 90% emerald in there too). I'm seeing some 1300+ WF selling for as little as 30m. I don't know how much you want to sink into a single item, but that would be a nice little source of DPS without overhauling his gear. You could also get a CD nats reflection for under 30m.

These aren't exactly the most cost effective upgrades honestly, but since it's a gift and he may have his own preferences, I find it hard to offer advice that would seriously change his build. These are the only things I could come up with that are upgrades no matter who looks at it!
Thanks for the reply Genesis!~

I actually geared his DH with 20m, had NFI what I was doing as you can probably see lol.

I picked the bow and all the gear with no goal in mind other than him being able to farm MP1-3 to get his own gear.

I don't mind sinking 20-30m into an item if its going to be a significant upgrade or if he's going to be using it for a long time, also don't mind going to manticore if it's going to be more beneficial.
Thanks for the reply Genesis!~

I actually geared his DH with 20m, had NFI what I was doing as you can probably see lol.

I picked the bow and all the gear with no goal in mind other than him being able to farm MP1-3 to get his own gear.

I don't mind sinking 20-30m into an item if its going to be a significant upgrade or if he's going to be using it for a long time, also don't mind going to manticore if it's going to be more beneficial.

Ahh I see. I have always been a 2h crossbow user. I've tried bows and handbows before (albeit briefly) and found that they don't fit my playstyle. I like the high damage, low cost and consistent hits of a 2h like a manticore. You can get pretty good manticores (1250 ish DPS) for pretty small amounts of gold these days. It would be worth looking into, but it's not a requirement. If you want a full build suggestion, take a look at my first post. I've got a sample build there that is probably worth 20m now honestly. I'm thinking about redoing it actually. Prices have dropped so hard that it's not really an accurate representation of the potential of the market. You can do at least this good with your budget.
My EHP is really garbage...I had a bit of a windfall with some legendary blacksmithing plans the other day and I have 25 mil now (by far the most I've had at any point so far). How would you suggest I improve my EHP (preferably without compromising too much damage)?
@Arathor

I'm surprised to see that your eHP is as low as it is honestly. Your resists are reasonable, so I suspect the biggest problem is your vit. I would suggest getting a new mempo that has vit on it, higher vit on your ammy, and get some vit on your chest and pants. If you make up another 300 vit, your eHP will shoot up and your %life attributes will be much more effective. These things shouldn't effect your DPS at all unless you downgrade the dex or trifecta attributes.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]