Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

Genesis,
I'm looking for legendaries that maybe are overlooked yet still viable and affordable. I'm thinking "The Inquisitor" for chest, "Firewalkers" for boots, "Strongarm Bracers" for wrists, "Andariels Visage" for helm, "Depth Diggers" for legs, etc. Obviously I won't be able to afford all of those but those are some examples I was thinking of for a build. Would this be doable with a Windforce for 50mil??

Some I would absolutely use, others not so much. I'm a strong advocate for strongarms, and andys is viable for cheap DPS. Firewalkers, not so much. Nats boots are better and also give you the set bonus. Same goes for the chest. Pair nats chest with boots and you've got 7% cc right there. As for the legs, I've definitely seen some people using depth diggers. I don't feel they are the best, but they are viable at early stages of a build. Perhaps there is a cheaper WF than 15m that can be used. I haven't looked, so I don't yet know. What sort of target DPS are you looking for with that 50m WF budget? Keep in mind that WF will significantly reduce DPS compared to a manti.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DrJeckyll-1616/

Does it work now?
Edited by DrJeckyll#1616 on 10/30/2012 12:55 PM PDT
Genesis,
I'm looking for legendaries that maybe are overlooked yet still viable and affordable. I'm thinking "The Inquisitor" for chest, "Firewalkers" for boots, "Strongarm Bracers" for wrists, "Andariels Visage" for helm, "Depth Diggers" for legs, etc. Obviously I won't be able to afford all of those but those are some examples I was thinking of for a build. Would this be doable with a Windforce for 50mil??

Some I would absolutely use, others not so much. I'm a strong advocate for strongarms, and andys is viable for cheap DPS. Firewalkers, not so much. Nats boots are better and also give you the set bonus. Same goes for the chest. Pair nats chest with boots and you've got 7% cc right there. As for the legs, I've definitely seen some people using depth diggers. I don't feel they are the best, but they are viable at early stages of a build. Perhaps there is a cheaper WF than 15m that can be used. I haven't looked, so I don't yet know. What sort of target DPS are you looking for with that 50m WF budget? Keep in mind that WF will significantly reduce DPS compared to a manti.

I'm open for different builds. I used to play with a bow and I definitely prefer the faster attack speed it comes with.

Nats set is nice but I'm not sure if I can afford it. The interesting thing about "The Inquisitor" is that it comes with good All Resist, 12% movement speed and high dex. I definitely want to max out movement speed at 24% for better farming.

I'm not sure about overall DPS. Just looking at being able to farm all acts and possibly farm MP 1 or 2. I would like a balanced build that has a lot of attack speed and movement speed and decent surviveability. I've had horrible luck with drops. Zero set items and some bad legendaries at almost 300 hours of gametime. I'm hoping to improve that with a new build:)
Edited by Oceanminded#1201 on 10/30/2012 1:30 PM PDT
I can't offer much advice, other than be careful about spending to "upgrade" something that you're probably going to "upgrade' again too quickly. I think I poured a bunch of gold swapping things around when I didn't really have to. As for move speed, it's really nice (I found my Inquisitor, not something I would have bought). Even without vault spam, I was doing mp1 act 2 runs in building NV then hitting VotA in 20 minutes or so, which isn't fantastic, but was doing OK by me.
Hello Genesis!

First, I'd like to thank you for making this thread. I've been looking for this kind of detailed advice on what I can do to improve my Demon Hunter! I'm glad to know someone is taking the time to help others. It's wonderful having helpful players in a community willing to take the time out to help others.

I am basically trying to improve my DPS, without taking a hit to survivability. I appreciate any suggestions in stat/gear direction as well as builds, that could better suit my current setup.

Thank you in advance!
@DrJeckyll

I have to go to class. I'll be back in a bit and give it a look!

I'm open for different builds. I used to play with a bow and I definitely prefer the faster attack speed it comes with.

Nats set is nice but I'm not sure if I can afford it. The interesting thing about "The Inquisitor" is that it comes with good All Resist, 12% movement speed and high dex. I definitely want to max out movement speed at 24% for better farming.

I'm not sure about overall DPS. Just looking at being able to farm all acts and possibly farm MP 1 or 2. I would like a balanced build that has a lot of attack speed and movement speed and decent surviveability. I've had horrible luck with drops. Zero set items and some bad legendaries at almost 300 hours of gametime. I'm hoping to improve that with a new build:)

I definitely understand how you'd like that. The build I made last night has about 1.7 attacks per second. Now that's clearly not as fast as a bow, but it's still pretty quick. It is a bit of a tradeoff. Bows have higher attack speeds, but lower damage and a high damage spread (inconsistent crits). 2h crossbows have higher damage, slower speed but much more consistent damage. If you want to see what the attack speed looks like on a full build, feel free to add me and I can show you. I'm running with 1.77 attacks per second. It also has 24% MS. That is a key for a DH (any class really, but especially a class that sometimes needs to kite).

If you're wanting to run MP1 or 2 efficiently, I'm certain that you'd like this build. You might need to adjust to the slightly slower attack speed, but the damage is just great. For solo runs with scoundrel, archery and steady aim, your DPS could be in the ballpark of 150k.

I know it sounds like I'm really pushing this build, but its really hard to compete with the DPS and survivability. Replacing a WF isn't the end of the world though. I just simulated it and the build lost about 17k DPS and 15k eHP. Not the end of the world. This was using a 5m WF too, so that's not bad.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 10/30/2012 2:36 PM PDT
Add me in game. Ive got 50-70MM to play with and I am tired of staring at the AH database screen.
Hi I need all the help I can get...
I only got 90 mill right now.
So let me know what should I do.
Thanks!
Ah Genesis thanks for your advice.. I was using sharpshooter just to check how high my damage could be. I will try to focus on Inna's but I will lose so many AR.. Should I be worried about that??

About my DISC I will try to buy a reflection then it will be ok i think :)

Thanks in advice!
@DrJeckyll

You could use some higher CC, CD and AS. Try to get somewhere around 40% CC, 300-350 CD and 1.6-1.7 attacks per second. Your HP is also EXTREMELY low. Try to get that up at least another 10k, preferably 15k. Keep trying to pump those things up and your DPS and eHP will start to get where you want them.

@Smoke0000 and Seekario

Add me (Genesis#1518) and I will talk to you over chat. If you're offering let me build your gear, I'd like to at least run it by your first so that there aren't any surprises :p

Ah Genesis thanks for your advice.. I was using sharpshooter just to check how high my damage could be. I will try to focus on Inna's but I will lose so many AR.. Should I be worried about that??

About my DISC I will try to buy a reflection then it will be ok i think :)

Thanks in advice!

You will lose some AR, but you'll also gain a bunch of dex and armour. While your eHP might go down a bit, you've got a pretty healthy amount. I suggest putting your build into a simulator and see what the changes do for your stats. A reflection is a good solution!
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 10/30/2012 4:10 PM PDT
Very good to see people like you on here, Genesis!

Since patch 1.05 I have returned to Diablo, and so far have only gotten myself a Manticore for under 1m. What other items would you suggest me getting, I usually run Act 2 or 3 in MP1, I am focusing on finding good ways to improve my gear.

Having a direction to go to for my gear would be appreciated, do you have any suggestions?
10/30/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Genesis
One thing about hand crossbows is that they will hinder your DPS unless you have very good ones. Based on your barb, I imagine you've got some funds (or the ability to gather them) to get a decent DH going. If you're interested in a big rework of your gears, I can try to modify the build I made last night to fit your budget. If you had 100m to throw into it, I bet I could get you up to 125k+ unbuffed DPS with great survivability.

I need some advice with hand crossbows, i have over 100m to built but i don't know what exactly i can buy to increase cc, cd, hp, dex..... lol

i'm appreciate for ur helps.
Thanks for the response, however that brings up another dilemma. You see, I already have two coffins filled with people, so sadly, I can not fit this one into a coffin nor do i have the money or effort to obtain another one.
Hi Genesis,

First of all - Excellent seeing someone so kind with their time & experience!!!

Your DH really hands out DPS and im jealous of that!! Im loving the survivability of my current build - and I would love to keep that! What suggestions would you have to get me to the 200k dps target while keeping my eHP & Res.

Thanks in advance!
I just got the legacy nat's set and inna's belt&pants, but I've lost DPS (from nats) and defensive stats. I'm not sure how to build myself up to be a tank hybrid anymore..
@Meenyman

The general idea for a DH is to try to increase your cirt chance, crit damage, attack speed and dex as much as possible without becoming a glass canon. Glass canons aren't effective anymore since the health increase as MP increases doesn't scale at all with damage output. For that reason, you need to be able to take some hits.

You want to try to get 40% CC, 300-350% CD, 1.6+ attacks per second, 40k life, 300-400 AR, 4k armour, and of course, 24% movement speed. With all that, you'll have a very balanced build. There are tons of routes you could take to improve your gear at this point. Start looking at it piece by piece seeing what you can get for your budget!

@thcwefh

Hand crossbows eh? From what I can see from looking at high ranked DHs is that you want a high damage, high natural crit with socket for your main hand (calamity) and on the other either a DML or a danetta's spite. I don't know much about DW other than the fact that it's expensive. Take a look at this guy. He's a top ranking DH with a DW build. http://www.diabloprogress.com/hero/拉鍊裡的猛獸-3143/愛情獵人/7845368

@SCTetra

That is quite the predicament. Better solution. Sneak into a University cadaver lab and just stick it in a drawer. You'll want to make up some fake tags and paperwork, but that should be possible. Best of luck!

@DoCZero

Thanks! It's taken a lot of trial and error to figure out exactly how things should work. Your eHP is quite amazing given your DPS. 125k DPS and 570k eHP is great. Your CC is great, CD is VERY great, AS is great. It's hard to fault you really. The only things I can suggest are maxing out your gems and upgrading your mempo to one with high dex and CC. You can afford to lose the vit for the extra DPS. Other than that, just keep trying to increase your dex. Your rings could be upgraded. I see that they both have %life on them, so if you choose to drop that, you could probably get MUCH better dex out of them, as well as the two trifecta stats. Perhaps consider a litany for one of them if you want to make up the eHP then just overload the other with offence. Great build!

@oneqp

Legacy nats tends to have that effect. My personal opinion of legacy nats (and this is based on no personal experience, just theory and absorbing discussions) is that low end versions of legacy nats is generally not worth it. You lose out on tons of eHP and DPS from that. If you like the disc regen enough to justify it, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a different type of playstyle and some people prefer. It's hard to argue with permagloom!

As for increasing your DPS and eHP…. Your CD is great, CC is great, AS is pretty good (but you're using a bow, so it probably could be higher). I feel like a HUGE reason your DPS is low is because of your bow. It has very low DPS. For a bow, you need the damage where you can get it. Since you're limited to the 1 soc, you basically need something with high DPS, high natural crit, dex and the open socket. Yours has most of that, but not all. If you're set on bows, see what you can find with higher damage. Your right ring needs some work. Try to get a second trifecta stat on there, increase the dex and vit if you can.

For your eHP, try to increase your resists and HP. Those are both pretty low. Armour is looking good, but more is better. Try to at least double your AR and 40k life.
@ Genesis

Thanks for your reply, I have to agree that the boar questionable in my build but i have yet to think of a skills to replace it, probably will try guardian tower so i can facetank easier and have better sustained dps.

Currently not looking at changing to 2h weapon because danetta look too good to lose( the blue and red aura!) Also, DH is now my alt, so probably not going to spend big to change all the gear, ( runing two character is too expensive!)

I had a lucky day yesterday and a pair of nice ik iron drop for me that sold for 30M instantly so I upraded a bit. I came across a unity ring which rolled 2x-8x average damage and 18x dex( spent 8m on this) . I was surprised to see that it added 7K to my dps (up from my marginally decent 147 dex, 3.5 CC 23 CD ring) and i realised that the + average damage mod is invaluable to dw build and probably is the most efficient boost to dps for dw build.

In your previuos reply to thcwefh, you quoted a top dw dh, he has this mod on both rings and ammy further confirm this.

In addition, the problem with dw is that it feels like I am throwing out lots of wet noodle, it is actually quite tiring... I think the average damage mod will be a way to improve it... just for discussion...
Edited by Bonta#1988 on 10/30/2012 9:35 PM PDT
@ Genesis

Thanks for your reply, I have to agree that the boar questionable in my build but i have yet to think of a skills to replace it, probably will try guardian tower so i can facetank easier and have better sustained dps.

Currently not looking at changing to 2h weapon because danetta look too good to lose( the blue and red aura!)

I had a lucky day yesterday and a pair of nice ik iron drop for me that sold for 30M instantly so I upraded a bit. I came across a unity ring which rolled 2x-8x average damage and 18x dex( spent 8m on this) . I was surprised to see that it added 7K to my dps (up from my marginally decent 147 dex, 3.5 CC 23 CD ring) and i realised that the + average damage mod is invaluable to dw build and probably is the most efficient boost to dps for dw build.

In your previuos reply to thcwefh, you quoted a top dw dh, he has this mod on both rings and ammy further confirm this.

In addition, the problem with dw is that it feels like I am throwing out lots of wet noodle, it is actually quite tiring... I think the average damage mod will be a way to improve it... just for discussion...

You may consider switching to a super high DPS hatred dump, like cluster arrow. Since you can regenerate your hatred so fast, a powerful dump might really be useful, especially if you just need to replace a slot.

Average damage is extremely useful. That's what makes me quite like that ring actually. Average damage will increase your DPS, but unfortunately wet noodles is the nature of DW builds. That's not to say they are weak - far from it. DW definitely has the ability to outdo 2h bows. Your attacks per second are so high, but your DPS isn't any higher. What that translates to is each hit doing less damage.

For example, if your DPS is 100k and you're doing 1 attack per second, your hits (crit excluded) would be 100k. If you have the same DPS, but do 2 attacks per second, your damage would be 50k per shot. While the paper DPS is the same, you need to hit the same target twice to deal 100k damage. It's much more complex than that in practice (due to crits, AoE attacks, etc.), but it gives you the general idea. Your attacks will be weaker, but more frequent with a DW build. Average damage is a great damage booster regardless of build - be it 2h, DW or bow. It increases the base damage which is then multiplied by your dex bonus and combined with your CC and CD. Definitely get that when you can.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 10/30/2012 9:42 PM PDT
The build I'm using currently is fun, though you have to be really good at kiting to be able to pull it off. And if something gets past the spike traps, you're screwed, so watch out...
10/30/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Rockonman
The build I'm using currently is fun, though you have to be really good at kiting to be able to pull it off. And if something gets past the spike traps, you're screwed, so watch out...

You may want to consider getting a bit of an upgrade for your left bow. I normally see calamity on the left and danettas or DML on the right. Increasing your DPS would make your build more effective.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]