Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

Hey Genesis,

Can you take a look at my DH? I mostly play barb, but I am now at the point where upgrades for him are ridiculously expensive. I'm wondering if 40M would be enough to improve my DH to farm MP2/3 very fast with the ability to contribute well in a group for ubers at MP5. I will still use the barb for key runs and some other farming, but I'm starting to burnout and would like an equally good farmer out of the DH so I have some variety.

There's a bit of a hill here, since my Barb is 48 paragon, but I think I can get the DH up to 20 without too much effort.

So questions --
1. Is 40M enough to work with?
2. What slots can I get the most cost efficient upgrades (with magic find would be a plus)?
3. What build should I aim for? I already tank and do melee with barb, so I'd prefer something very different from Barb yet still easy farm with very high move speed and durable. I'd also prefer to minimize costs and utilize as much gear I have now as possible.

Thanks in advance...
Hello,

I have added you in D3, I was wondering if you can help also. I have no clue how to buy items, i have been trying to look for on AH by using other DH's profiles, but apparently those equips cost around 20m+. As of now i have 100m, but not sure on how to improve my DH. I want to build my DH based on dex, CC and CD.

Cheers
@Jim

With some minor improvements, you could probably make it through those MP levels. When I play, I want to just nuke everything super fast, so our definitions of farming might be different. I feel like 40m might be a bit on the cheap side to be able to run MP2/3 efficiently.

1) I feel like 40m might be a bit short. You might be able to make some of your gear work, but I think you'll probably need to rework a lot of it to get where you want to be.

2) I'm going to direct you to the link of the build I made the other night. http://d3up.com/b/77805 It's a guideline that might help you pick out good upgrades. All of the items on there were 5m or less, except for the boots (6m), pants (10m) and nats reflection (10m).

3) Again, check out that link. It's got respectable DPS with pretty high eHP (320k). You should definitely be able to tank some hits with gloom with no problem.
I updated the first post. I included a link to the build I have been referencing. If anyone has a question about it or just wants to discuss it, please do. I'd love to hear comments, criticism, or questions.
Hello

I need your help as well. Now, I'm using a balanced build and can survive mp 2-3. For mp 4-5, it takes me centuries to kill a pack :D I would like to do mp 7-8. So, please suggest me which part I need to upgrade.

link to my DH: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DeathBerry-6555/hero/22340439

looking forward for your help :)
cheers
Edited by DeathBerry#6555 on 10/31/2012 11:47 PM PDT
Hi, I've been struggling with the choice of upgrading current legacy nats and gear or switching to new nats, potentially a combo of 2 pieces of each set for a total cc bonus of 14%. Posted more details here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004442721

Any advice?
Hello

I need your help as well. Now, I'm using a balanced build and can survive mp 2-3. For mp 4-5, it takes me centuries to kill a pack :D I would like to do mp 7-8. So, please suggest me which part I need to upgrade.

link to my DH: https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/DeathBerry-6555/hero/22340439

looking forward for your help :)
cheers

I'm not a legacy nats user, but a common consensus I've heard is that if you can't get a high end leg nats set, the new one is better. Your eHP is currently excellent, so it basically comes down to your DPS. Your CC, CD and AS are all in a decent place (could always use upgrading though). The biggest red flag to me is your dex. See what you can do to increase that. If you like the effect of leg nats enough to sacrifice some DPS, that's perfectly fine. Should you choose to switch to the new nats, you'll have access to much higher dex pieces.

Hi, I've been struggling with the choice of upgrading current legacy nats and gear or switching to new nats, potentially a combo of 2 pieces of each set for a total cc bonus of 14%. Posted more details here: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004442721

Any advice?

I have heard about that (and considered it) but decided against it. I feel like the point of using 4 nat pieces is for the benefit of the added disc. While the 7% CC is very nice, my gut tells me that there are far more effective builds. If you don't care about the disc loss, a high dex CC mempo would be superior, as well as then being able to pick up high dex nats boots, armour and a better ring. I would do some fiddling, but for me I don't feel that the extra CC is worth the loss of dex. Having said that, you could run around with two nats rings and still have a mempo on your head. That is something you definitely want to mess around with in a build calculator. Try swapping out different pieces and see what the result is. I do feel, though, that there becomes a point where CC isn't as important anymore. Sitting at 50% instead of 60% really doesn't amount to that much when the way you're achieving it costs you a lot of dex. While the paper DPS might be the same, your hits will be weaker. It gets into a grey area where it becomes quite subjective. I definitely don't think its a bad idea, but I don't think its for me.
11/01/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Genesis
I'm not a legacy nats user, but a common consensus I've heard is that if you can't get a high end leg nats set, the new one is better. Your eHP is currently excellent, so it basically comes down to your DPS. Your CC, CD and AS are all in a decent place (could always use upgrading though). The biggest red flag to me is your dex. See what you can do to increase that. If you like the effect of leg nats enough to sacrifice some DPS, that's perfectly fine. Should you choose to switch to the new nats, you'll have access to much higher dex pieces.

Genesis

Thanks for your comments. I guess I would need to go for the new nats someday because upgrading old nats is way too expensive for me. I did try seaching for a nat's gaze with open socket and cc, and the result shocked me. 100$ with only 2 cc for a nat's gaze !!! and there are no nat's gaze with cc over 2 on current RMAH. However, changing to the new nats would affect my playstyle a lot and I sill don't wanna sell my legacy nats because I bought them at high price (50$ for ring and 30$ for helm), which now price drops as a half. So, I think I would need to upgrade other parts to have more dex. What I can think of now is to change to vile ward, strongarm bracers, the witching hour and sage's gesture. This way my eHP will remain the same. I know it will cost hundred millions but it seems it lefts me no choice.

What do you think? or should I try to change all parts with 75 mil budget as you said (without need to go for legendaries)?
Any ideas on what I should aim to upgrade next? I have around 40 mill
Thanks for the tips, I'll be working on it.
Someone gave me this bow a long time ago, but I'm going to switching to a Manticore. What kind of stats should it have to make it worth it? High dps w/ 1 socket (1200-1300), Low dps w/ 2 sockets (1k-1.1k)? Equal or more attack speed and CD? How vital is lifesteal for this type of upgrade?
11/01/2012 08:47 PMPosted by DeathBerry

Genesis

Thanks for your comments. I guess I would need to go for the new nats someday because upgrading old nats is way too expensive for me. I did try seaching for a nat's gaze with open socket and cc, and the result shocked me. 100$ with only 2 cc for a nat's gaze !!! and there are no nat's gaze with cc over 2 on current RMAH. However, changing to the new nats would affect my playstyle a lot and I sill don't wanna sell my legacy nats because I bought them at high price (50$ for ring and 30$ for helm), which now price drops as a half. So, I think I would need to upgrade other parts to have more dex. What I can think of now is to change to vile ward, strongarm bracers, the witching hour and sage's gesture. This way my eHP will remain the same. I know it will cost hundred millions but it seems it lefts me no choice.

What do you think? or should I try to change all parts with 75 mil budget as you said (without need to go for legendaries)?

The biggest thing you'll have to accept if you want to keep that leg nats set is that your dps WILL be hindered. Like you alluded to, you'll have to invest huge amounts of gold to work around your nats set. Unfortunately since it is a lower end set (not being mean, just realistic), it just can't compete with the new set - even a low end new set.

One word of warning: don't just jump to the names witching hour, wile ward, etc. Often there are cheaper rares that are just as good if not better. It is very possible to get 60 AR shoulders with dex and vit without having to drop massive amounts on vile wards. They might not be quite as good, or they might be even better. This is especially true with witching hour. I used to have one then I realized that mine wasn't anywhere near good enough to make it worthwile compared to inna's. When I made that change, I gained over 6k DPS for half the cost of my witching hour.

If I were in your situation, I would probably compare the sample build I made with yours. Simulate a few things and see what you think. I was just playing with someone I talked to earlier. He went full out on my build and really likes it. He currently has over 160k DPS with it and about the same eHP as you. Slightly different playstyle, but with enough CC and nightstalker, you'll probably never be disc starved. If you have any questions, keep asking. I'll do my best!

11/01/2012 08:50 PMPosted by Coughphee
Any ideas on what I should aim to upgrade next? I have around 40 mill

Great looking build. 100k unbuffed DPS with 500k eHP. That's a tanky DH. Your CC, CD and AS are all looking good. You may want to see what you can do to increase your dex and try to get some extra disc. If you swap out your belt for innas belt, you'll most likely gain a chunk of DPS from the holy bonus. Also consider switching your boots for nats boots and chest for nats chest. It will cost you a chunk of vit, but you'll probably see a substantial DPS boost. I would put it into a simulator though. Definitely look into innas belt though.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be working on it.
Someone gave me this bow a long time ago, but I'm going to switching to a Manticore. What kind of stats should it have to make it worth it? High dps w/ 1 socket (1200-1300), Low dps w/ 2 sockets (1k-1.1k)? Equal or more attack speed and CD? How vital is lifesteal for this type of upgrade?

A low DPS 2 soc as you described will cost you 75-100m. Mine was 75m when I bought it, but every time I check for something like it, I can't really find anything for less than 100m. For that reason, you will most likely be able to get higher DPS if you got for a high damage 1 soc. Natural crit is something to look for. The higher the better. I would try to get at least 75 though. You should have lots of options in the 1 soc category, so look for nice damage, dex and crit damage. Extra attack speed is a bonus, but not required (manti has base of 10 and goes up to 11). Lifesteal is gravy, but substantially increases the cost of the bow. I wouldn't worry about lifesteal - you will be relying largely on gloom for that.
might as well get some info if possible too!

im looking to increase my hp but not lose dps. would also like to increase all res so I can tank more etc.

I'm currently finding with gloom and night stalker I can just stand there and take 95% of attacks.

any build suggestions would be cool too. I mainly use the same setup except I use ball lightning when farming acts.
This might be a bit out of place here, but why is inna's belt mentioned so frequently here? Is it just good for the set 130dex? Is there actually a way to utilize the 8% holy damage since DH skills don't seem to deal damage as holy?
The biggest thing you'll have to accept if you want to keep that leg nats set is that your dps WILL be hindered. Like you alluded to, you'll have to invest huge amounts of gold to work around your nats set. Unfortunately since it is a lower end set (not being mean, just realistic), it just can't compete with the new set - even a low end new set.

One word of warning: don't just jump to the names witching hour, wile ward, etc. Often there are cheaper rares that are just as good if not better. It is very possible to get 60 AR shoulders with dex and vit without having to drop massive amounts on vile wards. They might not be quite as good, or they might be even better. This is especially true with witching hour. I used to have one then I realized that mine wasn't anywhere near good enough to make it worthwile compared to inna's. When I made that change, I gained over 6k DPS for half the cost of my witching hour.

If I were in your situation, I would probably compare the sample build I made with yours. Simulate a few things and see what you think. I was just playing with someone I talked to earlier. He went full out on my build and really likes it. He currently has over 160k DPS with it and about the same eHP as you. Slightly different playstyle, but with enough CC and nightstalker, you'll probably never be disc starved. If you have any questions, keep asking. I'll do my best!

Thanks for your warning. Your answers are great and very useful.

What I am interested in those legendaries is additional aspd (they also have some guaranteed properties for eHP, for example, armor or all resist). It's fun to see my DH rapidly attacks :D Also, I do think that aspd will improve DPS a lot and aspd doesn't exist in some parts like belts for rare items. Any ideas with this thought?

I thought I would like to upgrade my all gems to radian star emerald when the price was about 4.5m ea, but I had waited because I thought the price would keep decreasing. Unfortunately, I'm so wrong and now it's too late. The price bumps so heavy and high :( I don't know why and if anyone could explain this situation, that would be great.
It seems I need to wait until the price drops again, but don't know when :D
Edited by DeathBerry#6555 on 11/2/2012 2:06 AM PDT
I am not trying to flood this thread but really appreciate what genesis doing ~~ Thumbs up
Claps claps ~~

I know what my character need so basically I just need more time to farm and get a lucky loots ~~ :D and upgrade my wrist , gloves ,dml, amulet etcs ~~ :D

PS too bad I dont have time atm :(
Any build advice will be much appreciated. Having problems facing reflect damage mobs so any advice on gear to counter them. Thanks.
@RoyalMarine

That is a great build! To be honest, you're going to struggle to find bit upgrades while maintaining your DPS unless you go into the big bucks. What I did to counter the low DPS is I grabbed my gloves. While trifecta's give a little bit more DPS, that extra 140ish vit I got from them is just massive. Also, your shoulders have awesome dex, but NO VIT! You will realistically need to sacrifice some dex to get some vit on there. Those are the two easiest spots to upgrade. If you want to get more, you might have to drop some CC (you've got more than enough) to get it. A good spot would be the ammy honestly. Other than that, I don't really know what else I can suggest. You have a great build!

@queenofbabes

The reason I suggest it is because of how cheap it is and how good it is for DPS. You could always find AR on a different belt, but the way I designed the posted build, I chose to use the belt slot as more of a DPS slot rather than eHP slot.

It's a cheap belt that gives awesome DPS, especially when you pair it with inna's pants for the 130 dex set bonus. The 8% holy damage is actually just slapped on top of your damage. It feeds off of non-elemental damage (e.g.: manticore's poison damage isn't counted). So basically its just a big damage booster.

@Deathbarry

If you really like attack speed, you might want to look into grabbing a windforce. You lose DPS with that type of bow, but it does attack quickly and has a nice knock back effect. The problem with trying got centre your gear around IAS is that it only increases your paper DPS, not your actual damage. I don't generally focus on attack speed as I believe that dex, CC and CD are more important in a new build. Then you increase attack speed more if you can. That's just my opinion though - others may approach it differently.

If you swap to a bow, particularly the WF, you'll naturally have much higher attack speed (bows attack faster and WF has IAS on it). The reason inna's has this is because its a special set item. I guess that's just how blizzard designed it!

I wouldn't suggest dumping all that gold into gems right now. Your build has many other places to improve on before doing that. Those gems might boost your DPS by 5k, 10k at most, where an equivalent amount of gold would be able to rework your gear to get another 30-40k.

@AbysSeraphim

Thanks! I appreciate the support.

Your build is looking quite good! A couple spots that could improve your stats would be your shoulders (get some vit), necky with new 1.0.5 rolls, Your attack speed could be boosted a little bit along with your CD. For CD, you might consider getting a 2 sox manti. Another massive spot for upgrading is your DML. You can get another 70 dex out of that as well as another 6-7% IAS as a relatively cheap upgrade. You'll have to lose the MF, but that's ok :p Other than that, it basically comes down to just trying to increase your eHP a little bit while maintaining your DPS (or increasing it).

@Greyson

Assuming that you're making sure gloom is up in those fights, your eHP could be the cause of your problems. I would suggest getting some vit on your chest and swapping your boots out for nats boots. Try getting some vit on your shoulders too. If you're finding youre still not able to deal with absorbing enough damage, consider getting a %life gem for your helm. That should add a chunk of HP, which translates to eHP.
Edited by Genesis#1518 on 11/2/2012 7:52 AM PDT
Ah thanks for clarifying Genesis. While you're at it, any build advice? If inna's belt is indeed cheap I'll probably try to save for one. I don't think my belt's that great
Nice Job Genesis! :)
Anyone use evasive fire as primary attack?? it uses no resources and always hits 3 targets at once...also it hits immediately so there is no wait time for next attack, allowing for fast discipline generation for more spike traps. I'm only capable of farming MP2-3 with my gear, but i'd like to know how effective it would be for some godly builds.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]