Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

Im personally at a standstill in money and gear, i have some kinda decent stuff but its not nearly good enough, and im still running skills from 1.0.3 just not getting back into the game. if anyone has any critique or upgrade suggestions it would be nice
I would like to jump in on this. I have been adding pieces a little bit at a time. I have been doing Act3 MP1 runs for money. I have seen very little worth selling drop so I am wondering how people come up with 75m for upgrades? I currently only have 1.2m right now after buying my boots. I think I am a little heavy on AR right now so I am guessing if I drop some of that I might be able to upgrade my DPS to make my runs go a little faster. What do you think?
Hi Genesis! Thanks for creating this thread to help the others!

Could you take a look into my build as to what can be done to improve on my dps? Currently I have 20m to spend, should I stick to this gear and save up abit more first?

Thanks!
hello,
i am also curious, like everyone else, where i am at with my build but more importantly with my skills/runes that i am using. I like using evasive fire and would like to keep that but I am open to suggestions. I also want to keep the MF since i dont play as often and want to keep the MF since i spend my time doing runs for gear and not experience. I have about 70mil gold i can play around with, so basically any suggestions on what skill path to use as well as advice on gear would be appreciated. thanks!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ww2dan-1775/hero/17138686
have around 27m to spend. My next purchase is prob Natalya's bloody footprint with 170dex+. I was wonder if i should get the 4 piece Nat set for the 20 disc or go for damage and get a visage or a Mempo.
@queenofbabes

You're pretty lope on HP right now, so I would suggest swapping out your bracers. For strong-arms, I feel like you either go for high dex with vit or lower dex with AR. You've taken the low dex with no additional eHP or HP, which I feel is inefficient. You don't necessarily need strongarms, but they do give a nice boost of HP with %life. As for your shoulders, consider getting a rare with AR, dex AND vit. Your CD could be boosted a bit too. Other than that, just keep trying to get more dex, CC, CD, AS and eHP overall.

@RabidChimp

Thanks!

@sperry

I don't use evasive fire. For AoE, I like ball lightening and for elite packs I generally just pump them full of bolas. I haven't really embraced the new builds involving spike traps simply because I don't farm high MP levels (and neither should you!) There comes a point where the extra time it takes to do higher MP levels makes you lose efficiency in a hurry. For that reason, I stick to MP 3 or 4 for farming. I can basically 1-2 hit everything there with elite packs being no problem. I would suggest you do the same. By that I mean pick a MP level that you are able to just run through.

I know that doesn't really answer your question, but I can't really comment on evasive fire.

@Zypher

As far as I am concerned, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with your skill layout. I prefer night stalker over vengeance simply because I crit so often. Bola shot for your fury generator might be something to consider, I quite like it, but hungering arrow is also very good.

As far as your build goes, there are some strengths I see. Your disc pool is excellent. Both your DPS and eHP are a bit low, but that can be worked on. Your CD is looking pretty good at 349%. CC could be boosted another 10. Attack speed should probably go up a bit to about 1.7 attacks per second. Adding more vit to your gear will help with your low HP and eHP problem. Resists could be boosted too as well as armour. I suggest taking a look at my sample build to compare a few things. I would definitely drop your belt and pants for better options.

@JasPes

Your eHP is in a decent spot right now, but I wouldn't start dropping it necessarily for DPS. You could make up a bunch of DPS by boosting your AS, CC, CD and dex for sure. People get the funds for this stuff in multiple ways. A single lucky drop could bring in tons of gold. I've personally found drops that have sold for 25-50m+. Those aren't common, but they do happen. I've also made some gold by flipping items on the AH. That takes some knowledge, luck and can be risky. Alternatively, you could go buy some gold with real money haha.

Something you need to do PDQ is upgrading your gems. I'm not saying max them out, but definitely get stars in everything. Maybe go a bit bigger in your bow since it really makes a difference. Your bow needs to be upgraded too. If you're in the market for a 1 soc, you can easily find ones with MUCH higher base damage. That adds up fast.

@SJYanG

That's a good looking build. Your CC, CD and AS are all excellent - I wouldn't pump gold in there to increase them anymore. Right now, your biggest DPS hinderence is your low dex. Try to upgrade that as best you can. If you want to get a nats reflection, you could swap it out with your left ring. That would add a bunch of dex without causing you to lose attack speed (at the cost of some CD). It would be worth simulating in a build calculator.

You definitely need to work on your eHP though. You're running with 120k eHP. Your HP is kinda low, but not critical. Your resists, however, are quite low. You'll want to double that. You can get AR on your shoulders pretty easily. Also consider swapping your andys for a mempo. You'll lose some DPS, but youll increase your dex (get a high dex one), get %life, 70+ AR and you'll still have a socket.

Your budget of 20m should be able to get you a cheap reflection and a high dex mempo. Don't take my word for it though - simulate everything before buying.

@wwtwodan

That is a very nice build! You've got nice DPS, great eHP (350k+) while still managing high MF. There are only a few things I would suggest changing that won't change your MF gear. Firstly your belt. Witching hour has received an overrated reputation because of its popularity among top tier players. I had one with low dex and similar stats to yours. I replaced it with my current belt (innas) for half the cost and gained over 6k DPS. For me, 6k DPS is A LOT. Most upgrades I look for cost a ton and give like 2k DPS. So that's the first thing I would change. Second thing I would change is your quiver. A DML could give you the same sort of dex, another 90 vit, up to 20% AS and 10% CC, along with a nice skill bonus (mine has bola shot damage). For that type of DML, you wont get the extra disc though. If you swap out one of your passives (I would drop perfectionist) for night stalker, you'll gain back yoru disc very quickly. If you still want to keep a higher disc pool, you could get the DML I talked about and complete your nats set with a CC nats sight. That starts to get pricey though, so I would probably just stick with a disc pool of 40. Though your bow has high dex, it has pretty low base damage for a 1 soc. You should be looking for a mid 1200 DPS bow with 180 dex. That would probably boost your DPS by a lot. Great build though! I'm pretty jealous of the MF actually.

@Petjz

I approve of the purchase of those boots. You might consider a cheaper pair since some of your other gear could use some work, but that's up to you. As for the mempo vs andys vs nats question, I look at it this way. If you have the eHP to support losing resists on the helm, you could go for nats or andys. If you have +disc on other pieces and simply don't need any more, then you could go for an andys. If you need the disc, go for nats sight with CC. If you don't have the eHP to support it, stick with a high dex mempo.

For you in particular, your eHP isn't adequate enough to start dropping resists. You've got less than 130k, which is on the glass canon side of things. The build I posted in the first post has 320k eHP while keeping 110k unbuffed DPS. Consider mirroring that build a bit. Keep in mind that everything in that build is 5m except for the ring and pants (which were 10m each) at the time I made it.
Hopefully some of my feedback has been helpful. Let me know what you think!
Thanks for making this thread, I have 230k DPS with SS and 120k or so without SS.

I'm looking for build advice for max XP for powerleveling. I havent played D3 in months and back when i played it was all spam smoke screen and kite. Now its gloom, and i see people using turret and cluster bombs, I basically dont know how to powerlevel anymore.

Im looking for a build where I do alkaizers act 3 runs as fast as possible in MP1 or MP2. With ball lightning and elemental arrow I take too much time on elites.

What should I spec for continuous vaulting and something to kill elites fast with my DPS.

I need a XP farming spec. Thaqnks in advance. I also have around 50m saved up if I should upgrade a piece like ammy or ring to make it easier please let me know.
Thanks for making this thread, I have 230k DPS with SS and 120k or so without SS.

I'm looking for build advice for max XP for powerleveling. I havent played D3 in months and back when i played it was all spam smoke screen and kite. Now its gloom, and i see people using turret and cluster bombs, I basically dont know how to powerlevel anymore.

Im looking for a build where I do alkaizers act 3 runs as fast as possible in MP1 or MP2. With ball lightning and elemental arrow I take too much time on elites.

What should I spec for continuous vaulting and something to kill elites fast with my DPS.

I need a XP farming spec. Thaqnks in advance. I also have around 50m saved up if I should upgrade a piece like ammy or ring to make it easier please let me know.

i would also like feedback on this topic

i just built my dh with a lot of items that i found using barb
new to the dh but interested in what you would recommend i change skill/item wise

thanks!
@Blackedout

If you're looking to just pound through everything really fast (with nothing else considered), you basically want just enough eHP to not die while having high enough DPS to 1-2 hit most things. Doing an alkaizer run, you would most likely want to run with bola shot for elite packs and multishot (the one that reduces hatred cost). Gloom is a STAPLE for demon hunters. That allows you to absorb more damage and heal yourself. This is a must have. For a little extra firepower against elite packs, consider cluster bombs as a hatred dump. For your last spot, I would probably put vault. Also, you probably should drop SS. It doesn't really add much to your build, especially once you increase your CC some more. Put steady aim in its place since you should be killing most things before they get close to you.

Gear-wise, you need to increase your CD and CC substantially. Try to get 45% CC and over 400% CD if you can. This will help you move through things really fast. Since you'll be taking 1-2 hits to kill things, attack speed isn't necessarily at the top of your priority list (and yours is currently fine). Try to increase your resists and life a bit more. Aim for 40k HP and 350 AR, though it is entirely possible to make up extra eHP without resists. Keep pumping up your dex when you can too.

I would personally suggest more of a hybrid build (see the build link I posted in the first post). That gives you good DPS without compromising your eHP.

@d373rmined

You've actually got a really good base! Your attack speed is great, CC is REALLY good, and CD is great too. You also have excellent eHP. The only thing holding back your DPS, as far as I can tell, is your low dex. You could probably find ways to add another 700 dex fairly easily, which will add massive amounts of DPS. Try doing that without losing any survivability though.
90 Troll Rogue
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Davick-1338/hero/5794848

Just started playing a DH, should have done this a long time ago. I spent about 55M on this build yesterday after hitting 60. I really enjoy using Multi-Shot with Windforce, brings me back to playing my Amazon in D2.

I'm wondering how well I did, if there were any items that I missed that would have been better, and what I should look to upgrade next. If you have any suggestions on skills that would synergize well with multi-shot that would be great as well, thanks!
Edited by Davick#1338 on 11/3/2012 12:54 PM PDT
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Davick-1338/hero/5794848

Just started playing a DH, should have done this a long time ago. I spent about 55M on this build yesterday after hitting 60. I really enjoy using Multi-Shot with Windforce, brings me back to playing my Amazon in D2.

I'm wondering how well I did, if there were any items that I missed that would have been better, and what I should look to upgrade next. If you have any suggestions on skills that would synergize well with multi-shot that would be great as well, thanks!

That's a pretty good build! I went through a period of time where I used inna's chest. It's certainly not the most common, but it is viable. The reason I chose to use it back when I did is because I could have 150+ dex AND vit. That was its appeal to me for the state of my build. Yours has low vit though, so a future upgrade would be to drop that for nats chest (you'll get the 130 dex set bonus from that) and then replace your pants with innas pants for another 130 dex set bonus. You should also try to get some CC on your necky and left ring. The 12 AR you have on your necky isn't really worth it, so don't be concerned about losing that. Also, consider getting a WF with a socket. That way you can stick in a gem to increase your CD. Being a bow user, you're already disadvantaged in that respect, so you need to get CD where you can.

Multishot is fun, don't get me wrong, but you might find ball lightening to be more effective (depending on the difficulty). Multi shot is great when you can kill everything in a shot or two, whereas ball lightening is especially useful when things take a few more shots and are densely packed and out of range of multishot. Ball lightening travels a good distance, doesn't drain too much hatred, and deals nice damage. If hatred becomes a problem for you (which I doubt it will being a bow user), switch your companion to bat. If you're finding youre a bit too squishy, consider using boar.

Overall, that's a great build, especially for a brand new DH. You did your research.
Looking to upgrade any and all pieces. Currently sitting at around 110k DPS, but only about 30k Life (300 AR is nice though).

I have a budget of about 70Mil + whatever I get from selling any piece of gear I currently have.

Suggestions?

Also willing to tinker with build specs.
Looking to upgrade any and all pieces. Currently sitting at around 110k DPS, but only about 30k Life (300 AR is nice though).

I have a budget of about 70Mil + whatever I get from selling any piece of gear I currently have.

Suggestions?

Also willing to tinker with build specs.

Can't see your profile! I'd highly suggest comparing your build to the one I posted. It sounds like you've got the same or less DPS (not sure if your value is unbuffed or not), but it would be a good comparing tool.
Not sure how to allow you to view my profile. Also, the build on the front page seems more like a side-grade then an upgrade for my particular items.
Anyway,. here's the direct link
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wooooo-1808/hero/99778
@OP, good to see someone helping out community :) Wondering if you could pass me some advice.

Right now im working on getting Natalya's bloodyfootprints--so my boots are in the AH right now, but im contemplating on what to get next, Inna's belt or DML.

Also im wondering what is the most effectient build for dh nowadays for low MP and high MP. I feel like I have the dilema where if I go AOE, I can't clear elites fast enough, on the otherhand if I go burst I cannot clear whites fast enough.

And I wanted to say that Vengence is just an amazing passive, I can't belive I have never tried it out, expecially in group play.

Keep up with the good work :) Looking forward to your thoughts.
Edited by Dunder#1207 on 11/3/2012 1:55 PM PDT
@wooooo

Just need to change your profile to the D3 one. The one I posted has 40k more unbuffed DPS and nearly triple the eHP of your current build. That is a pretty big upgrade honestly, so don't discard its relevance. The individual pieces may not seem too magical, but its their synergy that makes it shine.

As for upgrades of your current build, I'll just list out the things that I would say you should definitely keep. Your gloves are good, quiver is good, bracers are good, shoulders are good, helmet is debatable (no socket). If you want a non soc helm, get an andys. That will boost your DPS way more, or a mempo for some extra eHP while keeping decent dex and HP (through the natural %life bonus mempos have). The rest I would probably consider changing. Your ammy is ok, but I generally use that spot as a good vit builder. Your HP is pretty low, so consider getting one with similar stats just with vit added on. Your right ring is reasonable enough too, but you could definitely get higher dex and probably some vit on there pretty easily. Hellfire is mediocre. You could probably do better with a rare, but thats ok for now I suppose. Get yourself a high DPS manti. It will a bunch of CD as well as some dex (easy to get 1200+ with 190+ dex). The armour, pants, belt and boots I almost exclusively choose as 2 piece nats and 2 piece innas. Inna's belt is so cheap and good, it's hard to pass up. Innas pants are also great due to their attack speed, CC, dex and 2 piece set bonus. Nats boots are basically the best boots for dhs, especially one you start getting set bonuses. This leads me to nats chest. Getting that second nats piece is vital for the 7% CC. If you want to get the 3 piece bonus, consider dropping your hellfire for a cheap reflection.

@Dunder

The numbers I'm seeing for your build (without boots) are great, so once you add those boots in, you'll be in great shape! I say this a lot, but INNAS BELT. It's such a great DPS booster and isn't very expensive. You can get a pretty decent one for 10m, so it might leave you enough for a DML too. You can get a pretty decent DML for 5-10m too (granted, it won't have +disc).

For low MP, which is where basically everyone should be farming, I use ball lightening for AoE and bola to take out elites. I love bola since it deals high damage to the individual target, and in the case of elite packs, it generally hits them all at the same time with the explosion. Consider finding a DML with bola shot bonus on it if you want to use it. For high MP, it depends on what teammates you've got (assuming you are playing with a team). If you're doing solo, it's the same !@#$ as before, it's just going to take longer.

Vengeance is indeed a great passive. I prefer nightstalker though. With high enough CC (which you have, imo), it fills disc up so fast. I hate relying on globes to get disc when I need it.
Thanks for the tips. I realized quickly that the damage from your set was prebuffed, and I went out and bought most of those pieces. I went with a manticore that has 1250 dps instead of one with 100 less but with 160 dex. Not sure that was the right call - Anyway, I'll put up the link to my new set and you can tell me what you think.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wooooo-1808/hero/99778

It hasn't updated yet, but should in a few.
34 Human Monk
Some help would be great all around. I have cleared through act 2 inferno then just started to get wrecked. I don't have a lot of gold and may need to start farming for some gear.

Character link http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Tanelorn-1662/hero/2481725
Edited by Tanelorn#1662 on 11/3/2012 2:54 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]