Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

Thanks for the tips. I realized quickly that the damage from your set was prebuffed, and I went out and bought most of those pieces. I went with a manticore that has 1250 dps instead of one with 100 less but with 160 dex. Not sure that was the right call - Anyway, I'll put up the link to my new set and you can tell me what you think.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/wooooo-1808/hero/99778

It hasn't updated yet, but should in a few.

Excellent! It probably won't update until tomorrow (I don't know why Blizz messed that up so much...) What's more important - how do you like it?

@Secumonk

Basically you either need to farm what you can until you get some gold or go buy some. There's no point in trying to struggle through later acts to farm, so do whatever you're able to do fairly efficiently. See what you can do to increase your resistances and CC/CD/AS/dex. These things together will increase your DPS and your ability to survive.
First of all i want to say thanks for this guide. I followed your advice and went with a mempo for more survivability. I also went with 3 piece nats. Now i find myself doing mp2 act 3 a lot easier. My next upgrade i think would be upgrading my gems to Perfect Star Emerald on the sockets. However that would cost around 13m. I was wondering if i could do something better with my money like upgrade my gear. And if so which part of my gear is bottlenecking.

edit Instead of the hellfire ring i use

dex 63
crit chance 5.5
crit damage 31
Edited by Petjz#1874 on 11/3/2012 3:51 PM PDT
Hey genesis, can you give me any advice? I'm still kinda lost on what I need to do to improve my DH. Also what skills and passive skills do you think would be better for me to use?
First of all i want to say thanks for this guide. I followed your advice and went with a mempo for more survivability. I also went with 3 piece nats. Now i find myself doing mp2 act 3 a lot easier. My next upgrade i think would be upgrading my gems to Perfect Star Emerald on the sockets. However that would cost around 13m. I was wondering if i could do something better with my money like upgrade my gear. And if so which part of my gear is bottlenecking.

edit Instead of the hellfire ring i use

dex 63
crit chance 5.5
crit damage 31

That is looking good! I would consider making all your equipment gems star emeralds (pretty cheap upgrade) and possibly getting 90% gems in your bow. Simulate that and see what the gain is. If it isn't much, don't bother.

Gear wise, I would suggest grabbing innas belt. You now have excellent eHP, so I think you can support losing a bit to get that massive DPS boost. You'll get the set bonus, extra CC and 8% holy damage. Another guy who used my build had nearly exactly the same and told me that once he bought a 3m innas belt, he gained like 15k DPS. Nothing in particular is bottlenecking you, but one comment I do have is that your CD is a bit low considering you're using a 2 soc manticore. I figure you can make up another 50-100 CD pretty easily. Also see if you can get another 5% CC. More dex is always better, but you're definitely on the right track!

@Anubis

Something key you're missing is having second trifecta stats on your ammy, gloves and rings (though completely reasonable on a reflection. that !@#$s pricey). That is a big source of lost DPS. Your CC, CD and AS are all on the low side which is hindering your DPS in a big way. Try to get CD to 350%, CC to 45% and AS up to a point so that you're around 1.7 attacks per second. Your HP is also incredibly low right now. You want to get to around 40k. Your resists are also too low for your current gear setup.

A mistake a lot of people make is that they look at some high end DHs and see key names like "witching hour", "vile ward" etc and think that they need to get those. The reason this is a mistake is that the key features of these items can be largely attained by rares. The shoulders in my sample build have 150 dex, 150 vit and 50 AR. These weren't even very expensive, yet run circles around the ones youve currently got. They might even compete with my vile ward, so don't just jump to those names.

That leads me to a key point of concentration for your gear. Pieces that I would consider great places to get vit are missing it in your gear. Your shoulders, ammy and bracers should all have vit on them! I've also chosen my gloves as a key vit spot, but I am contemplating taking a HP hit in order to get a DPS boost. I can afford that hit though! You definitely need to make up some vit, so look for ways to do that.
Ok I'll have to start getting more vit and more CD, CC, AS, and better resists. Whew, I got a lot of work to do but at least I know what I need to do now. Thank you for taking the time to help me out, that's really cool of you :)
Hey, need some help in deciding what slot should I upgrade next. My budget is around 200m, got a few lucky drops yesterday :)
Hi Gen,

Until recently I haven't had the funds to get nice upgrades. So I have started to upgrade my gear and I was with losing stats as I change to set pieces for the bonuses. With my budget of 120mil what would you suggest? I also have been having some issues with reflect damage mobs and was toying with change ss to gloom. Thanks man
11/03/2012 04:36 PMPosted by Anubis
Ok I'll have to start getting more vit and more CD, CC, AS, and better resists. Whew, I got a lot of work to do but at least I know what I need to do now. Thank you for taking the time to help me out, that's really cool of you :)

Glad I could help! Feel free to ask more questions if you need clarification.

11/03/2012 04:40 PMPosted by ChangWu
Hey, need some help in deciding what slot should I upgrade next. My budget is around 200m, got a few lucky drops yesterday :)

There are a few options for you. The first one that comes to mind is upgrading your manti to a 2 soc. Right now, that's your weakest link. Also be sure to get trifecta gloves if you're not interested in getting vit on them. I would also consider getting a mempo. You could get higher dex, much higher resists and some extra vit (though one with CC and all of those things will probably eat up most if not all of that 200m). If you get a mempo though, you'll account for any lost resists if you were to replace your right ring with a nats reflection (be sure to get CC or CD on it too). You may want to consider getting nats sight if you get a reflection to get the disc bonus.

So basically, upgrade your manti, get trifecta gloves, nats reflection with CC or CD, and a mempo (though not urgent - your eHP is pretty good). Also, upgrade your gems!

Hi Gen,

Until recently I haven't had the funds to get nice upgrades. So I have started to upgrade my gear and I was with losing stats as I change to set pieces for the bonuses. With my budget of 120mil what would you suggest? I also have been having some issues with reflect damage mobs and was toying with change ss to gloom. Thanks man

I would consider replacing your ammy for something with a second trifecta stat. Drop the AR on there and get some vit - it will most likely add more eHP than that low AR value. Your CC is also on the low side.

I highly suggest taking a look at the build I posted on the first post. Compare your pieces to it and you might see ways you can rework your build a bit to open up new windows of DPS. The way your build currently is, it's hard to pick out certain pieces and just say switch this to that. Belts are always a place I look to (because I'm an innas fanboy), but the problem with you replacing that is you will lose tons of vit and AR, which you currently can't afford to lose. For that reason, most things you'll need to improve on require several other changes. Not a very useful answer, I know!

As for your issue with reflect packs, YES FOR GLOOM! That is something you absolutely need to have. It is a MUST HAVE! I dropped SS a very long time ago since vault and gloom do everything and more that SS does (basically). Increasing your eHP might also help, but I can't confirm for certain that your eHP has anything to do with how much reflect damage is taken. I know that it reflects a certain amount of your damage, but the actual damage numbers may or not be influenced by your mitigation. Either way, eHP is something good to chase after.
I updated the main post. If you guys feel like reading a novel, take a look. It outlines the things I look for when I check your builds and why. By extension, these are the things I made sure I had in my demo build. Enjoy!
Hi, I would really love some help with my demon hunter. I keep buying stuff but it never really raises my DPS that much. I never find anything good either so I always buy the cheapest things I can and I am just weak haha. I have only played the demon hunter and I love it, but I just can't seem to get myself together!
11/03/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Krokodil
Hi, I would really love some help with my demon hunter. I keep buying stuff but it never really raises my DPS that much. I never find anything good either so I always buy the cheapest things I can and I am just weak haha. I have only played the demon hunter and I love it, but I just can't seem to get myself together!

The first thing that jumps out at me is your leg nats. Some people love it, but the general consensus is that it's only worthwhile if you've got a high end COMPLETE set. Since yours is neither, it's hurting you more than anything right now. I'm sure you could sell it and get a decent amount for it though, so it's not a bad thing.

I like to see innas, so thats good. Strongarms are good, but if I were you, I'd either get ones with higher dex and vit (more like mine), or ones with the same dex as you except with AR. Your shoulders need to be changed I think. As I've discussed with a few others, you can often find rares that have similar or better attributes with rares. The shoulders I put in my sample build were rares with 150 dex, 150 vit and 50 AR. While you will lose some dex (not a hell of a lot) and some AR, you'll make it up in a big way with the 150 extra vit.

I would change all your jewellery so that they each have CC and CD on there. Also, try to get a necky with vit and dex - that is a great spot to make up lost vit so that you can focus on DPS with your rings. So that means get CC and CD on your rings along with a ton of dex if you can. Trifecta rings are often misleading - you can get better stats more often than not with a difecta (is that a word?). Good trifectas cost way too much for most people.

As for your bow, you need to do one of two things. Either get a way better bow with natural CD, soc, high dex AND high base damage, or get yourself a 1200ish damage manticore with 190+ dex and 80+ CD.
HELP. I have just been looking at what other players use/do when playing with them online. I have never built a toon that is not a melee character. I am not really sure where to go from here and I don't get how everyone has so much money. I am sitting right around 20 mil and that is the most I have ever had. So any advice/guidance would be stellar.
11/03/2012 07:17 PMPosted by Mobbes
HELP. I have just been looking at what other players use/do when playing with them online. I have never built a toon that is not a melee character. I am not really sure where to go from here and I don't get how everyone has so much money. I am sitting right around 20 mil and that is the most I have ever had. So any advice/guidance would be stellar.

Your eHP is looking pretty decent, so basically it all comes down to DPS (note that your eHP appears to largely be coming from your extremely high armour - your AR is actually pretty low, so keep that in mind as you change things).

Your CC is very low, so you need to get that up. Your CD is also on the low side, so try to get that up a bit. Your dex isn't too bad, but more is better. You're on the edge of decent dex though, so I basically see the DPS bottleneck coming from your CC and CD. Your bow could also be upgraded to a 1250 damage manticore with 190+ dex pretty cheaply.

This advice isn't specific at all simply because your build is so different than most and appears to be quite sensitive to changes in armour. I suggest taking a look at the build I posted in the OP. It gives you the sort of 'budget' build I would try to shoot for if I were you.
thanks a lot for your advice! I was trying to get full nats, but the ring is so expensive :<
I'll definitely get some better rings and shoulders and strongarms and all. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!
Thanks Gen I switched out my Neck with 133 vit and increased my cc3% and CHD 42%. Should I look at getting innas belt now?
thanks a lot for your advice! I was trying to get full nats, but the ring is so expensive :<
I'll definitely get some better rings and shoulders and strongarms and all. Thanks again, I really appreciate it!

No problem! I don't think I said this, but when I said sell your leg nats I really meant sell it and then replace it with the new nats. The new nats has WAY better stats. Don't forget to check other bracers too just incase they are better for your price range!

11/03/2012 08:56 PMPosted by Trigger
Thanks Gen I switched out my Neck with 133 vit and increased my cc3% and CHD 42%. Should I look at getting innas belt now?

Good start! Like I said, it's tough to just say switch this for that with a build like yours. Try simulating it and see what it does. If the DPS gain is big and your eHP loss isn't too bad, I would do it. For you to progress, you'll realistically need to get inna's belt at some point. I guess now is as good a time as any to start concentrating your build on more high end gear. Just keep in mind that you might become more squishy in the interim. A build in progress is generally far from ideal and will likely be missing key areas. For you, I suspect that will be your eHP. Pieces that I generally consider DPS slots for you are vital eHP slots, if you know what I mean.
wow thx a lot! Btw I upgraded my manti into a 1355 dps 90 cd 1 socket one for 60 m, hopefully I didnt overspend. Looking into nat's ring now.
So, my big thing is, I see DHs with almost the same equipment I have, yet their DPS is 50k higher than mine. I check to make sure there's no SS or steady aim in use. It baffles me, it almost feels like I'm missing something very small that could bump me up that extra 50k. Just wanted some input on this. Also, just so you know my next upgrade will be a Nat's sight with CC and AR, just saving for one of the higher end ones.

EDIT : In case it doesn't update from my MF pieces, my lacunis I use are similar to the ones I have on, but they have 3 CC and the amulet is slightly higher in CC and CD (only about 5k DPS over what that one gives me).
Edited by Saints311#1704 on 11/4/2012 1:07 AM PDT
Hey Genesis, i like how you're helping everyone out, great job mate. Anyway, i was wondering what pieces of gear i should upgrade to improve my dps without losing much survivability. I want to know what upgrades would benefit my character the most. I have close to 50m and will probably have more in the next few days. Thanks for your time cheers
Hey genesis quick question if you don't mind checking out my gear. I have about 50 mil to spend and have been looking at manticores. A 1100 Dps, dex, 2 open socket manticore only gives me about 8k more dps. Whats a better way to spend my 50 mil?? Thanks
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]