Diablo® III

Giving Build Advice

Hey genesis, I could use some feedback as well. I do have a Natalya's gaze in my stash, just threw on an andariels which I found yesterday. Gives me a nice dps boost though, but the extra fire damage taken can be tough
Guyz, not sure if you could help me with a little advice on increasing my DPS.
Edited by Nat001#1710 on 11/6/2012 1:08 PM PST
Hey guys,

As you can see from my profile, I could really use some help with my hunter. My comfort zone is somewhere between MP1 and MP2, solo or teaming up with a similarly developed barb. What you're looking at in my profile is pretty much my best balanced gear. I can boost EHP somewhat at the expense of maybe 5k-10k DPS, or boost 5k DPS at the expense of a lot of EHP. Any advice what I should be looking to replace? I have 4m gold...
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Stigas-1237/hero/1587153

I have ~$35 to spend on RMAH. Looking to jump into MP2-3 with friends, but need to catch myself up gear-wise.

Thanks in advance!
I'd like some advice as well, if possible...

I actually have 88M gold to spend and it would be nice to have some experienced opinion before throwing it all away, hahaha.

Thank you very much in advance.
I don't know if it's just me or not, but diabloprogress hasn't been opening for me today. I rely on that for a lot of figures, particularly with eHP. For this reason I will have to estimate your survivability. As they say, take my advice with a grain of salt.

@Thales0113

You've got decent HP, but low resists. Having said that, your armour is pretty high, so I imagine your eHP is in a reasonable range. Some more resists wouldn't be a bad idea though. If you're not using nats for the full 4 piece bonus, don't bother with the helm. Instead, consider getting a mempo. That will single handedly fix your resist problem, improve your eHP and increase your DPS (provided you replace your boots with nats boots to make up the set bonus, which is something I would so for sure). I'd also suggest you ditch that witching hour ASAP and get yourself a 2 piece innas set (pants and belt). You'll get much more DPS out of that, guaranteed. Try getting your CD up where you can too. 276% is quite low, especially considering you're using a 2 soc bow. You're on the rightt rack though!

@ofgortens

Before I start with any gear, I'd like to caution you against focusing a build on rapidfire. It's generally considered to be fairly weak and is pretty much useless as an AoE skill. A DH should have a hatred AoE attack and a hatred regen. Bola shot is quite good as a hatred regenerator (which you have noted interest in), but I'd suggest you look into ball lightening. It is a fantastic AoE attack. At higher DPS and low MP, multishot is also quite good, but that isn't as useful in higher MP levels. By all means, experiment with the skills, but don't sink gold into skills just yet.

Gear wise, you're doing pretty good. I like seeing 2 piece innas and 3 piece nats. With your low HP, I'd suggest dropping your shoulders for ones like my sample build has. What concerns me is your CD. My math tells me you're at 192% before archery (assuming I haven;t missed any). That is very low. You appear to have chosen to stack AS instead. I generally consider CC and CD to be the top priority and AS to be required to a point, but can often be covered adequately using the fundamental gear of a DH (innas, nats and DML). The other places you have AS I would suggest getting CD and CC. Litany's are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't just jump into that. If you want extra eHP, drop your andys for a high dex mempo. That's basically what I always suggest, and I may even end up doing that myself (maybe). I'm still debating with myself haha.

Oracle

Good stuff! If you're worried about vit, i'd suggest looking into finding the vit on other pieces. The best strategy I can come up with for optimizing a build for the least amount of gold is to designate certain pieces as contributors for specific stats. For example, I might pick the belt as a DPS slot whereas the head might be largely eHP.

@hmk21

Well…. your profile is telling me you've got 9.19 DPS while fully geared. You, sir, need to improve your DPS.

That was a joke.

Serious time. Your build looks pretty good, especially considering a bunch of the gear came from a monk. Your andys concerns me a bit though. I'm always tentative with them, particularly when they have high fire damage. That 22% there is going to be pretty deadly. You might consider getting a mempo. You'll lose some DPS, but make up HUGE ground on the eHP front (and get yourself a nice socket for extra exp or life). Shoulders could be upgraded to have higher vit, but that's not crucial (I'd look into rares if you wanted to do that). Your CD is MEGA low though. 161% is really not going to cut it. A huge source of damage for a DH comes from critting often and for large amounts. While your attack speed is probably ridiculous, that DPS doesn't translate to damage per hit but rather number of hits. I kinda see it analogous to chucking pencils really fast at someone vs. chucking fist sized stones at someone slightly slower. Both will suck and kill them eventually, but the rocks will end it faster. Other than that, great build. You're definitely on the right track (assuming your eHP is reasonable. I don't have a fricken clue what it is).

@rodborcat

Thanks! Glad I'm not talking crazy talk. Not sure if I got your request or if I just forgot, but I accept everyone who adds me (except for those pesky gold sellers… I report them all).

@Goombastomp

I hope you're not using a gaze with new nats! You should be using a sight if anything. Yeah, that's the burden of andy's, and is why it's a tough sell for me. I feel like only if you make up a bunch of eHP in your other slots that someone can afford to put that on. Since you don't have a full nats set, as I suggested a few people back, consider getting a high dex mempo. You'll get an instant eHP boost without completely losing DPS there. Consider getting nats boots and ring to get the 3 piece set bonus. That's a pretty nice witching hour there. If you're tight on money, I'd highly suggest selling it and replacing it with 2 piece innas. My gut tells me that you'll probably gain DPS by doing that for far less than that belt is worth. Try working on your CC and CD a bit more. You may want to drop your calamity for another bow with a socket in there. That's a huge source of lost CD right there. Also, consider either picking one disc regen. I feel that double dipping with night stalker and vengeance is a bit overkill where you could get extra DPS with steady aim.

@Nat001

Nice build! Three things stand out for me. Firstly, your shoulders could definitely have AR on them without increasing the cost by much. In fact, you could increase your AR, dex and vit on there by quite a bit for under 5m. Next is your bow. While it has pretty high dex, you can get 1200+ DPS mantis with dex for a pretty reasonable price. Simulate it to see if it gives you a good DPS boost (I suspect it will). My old ~1250 manti with 190 dex gave me like 6k DPS less than this one (but only had 1 soc, so it reduced my CD). Next thing is your pants. You should definitely have sockets in there. That's a great source of extra dex.

As for your skills, I have a feeling your eHP is quite high. You've got a very tanky build, so I think you can drop perfectionist. You don't have a disc regen skill, so consider putting night stalker in its place. Your CC is very high, so it will be very effective for you.

@Xianath

It says there aren't any heroes on your account??? That is odd. In general though, you'll often be forced with that decision. The time you can start dropping eHP is when you've got more than enough. Until then, try to keep both of them balanced.

@Stigas

If you'd like to be able to effectively do MP2-3 (be it solo or in a group), you're going to want to really rework your build. I can't see some vital stats thanks to diabloprogress being down, but I feel like you basically need to upgrade everything. With $35 turned into gold, you could probably get a good portion of my sample build. When I made the first post (a week or so ago?), the build was 75m. That's in the ballpark of your budget, and prices have probably dropped even more since then. I would quite honestly suggest you mimic the sample build. Trying to work with yours will be a gold sink and will produce an ineffective build.

If you've got any questions about the build, feel free to ask!

@Thales

EXCELLENT! Firsr thing that always draws my attention is the use of an andys. While it has nice DPS, yours has brutal fire damage. I can't see your eHP, but if you want a boost and to lose the fire damage, consider getting a high dex mempo (cc is too pricey, so just look for like 220+ dex. Since you'd be making up eHP with that, you could afford to lose it on your belt. I'd suggest replacing it with inna's belt. The DPS boost is exceptional, so I'd highly suggest that. Also, you might as well finish off your 3 piece nats set with a reflection. I'd suggest replacing your other ring with CC and CD. Also consider getting a higher DPS manti. I honestly can't say how a 1200 DPS 190 dex manti would compare (so simulate it), but I suspect it would result in a pretty sizable damage boost. Between those things, I'm pretty sure you'd be able to sink all that gold, and then some. Targets for later! YAY.
Genesis,

What eHP should I be shooting for for act 3 mp1 efficient farming? Just want a general number to gear towards. Thanks!
Genesis,

What eHP should I be shooting for for act 3 mp1 efficient farming? Just want a general number to gear towards. Thanks!

If you're purely interested in MP1 farming, you don't need tons of eHP. The goal for low MP farming is to basically kill everything in 1 shot apart from elites. But in general, I feel 300k is a pretty decent number that is very achievable without entirely sacrificing DPS.
85 Night Elf Druid
Props for offering your time. Would appreciate some feedback. I have ~30mil now on hand, but unsure what if anything to upgrade to next. My main goal right now is increasing DPS. I'm less concerned with resistances. Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Sriracha-1153/hero/11631591
Edited by Sriracha#1153 on 11/7/2012 12:00 AM PST
View profile
@ofgortens

Before I start with any gear, I'd like to caution you against focusing a build on rapidfire. It's generally considered to be fairly weak and is pretty much useless as an AoE skill. A DH should have a hatred AoE attack and a hatred regen. Bola shot is quite good as a hatred regenerator (which you have noted interest in), but I'd suggest you look into ball lightening. It is a fantastic AoE attack. At higher DPS and low MP, multishot is also quite good, but that isn't as useful in higher MP levels. By all means, experiment with the skills, but don't sink gold into skills just yet.

Gear wise, you're doing pretty good. I like seeing 2 piece innas and 3 piece nats. With your low HP, I'd suggest dropping your shoulders for ones like my sample build has. What concerns me is your CD. My math tells me you're at 192% before archery (assuming I haven;t missed any). That is very low. You appear to have chosen to stack AS instead. I generally consider CC and CD to be the top priority and AS to be required to a point, but can often be covered adequately using the fundamental gear of a DH (innas, nats and DML). The other places you have AS I would suggest getting CD and CC. Litany's are pretty expensive, so I wouldn't just jump into that. If you want extra eHP, drop your andys for a high dex mempo. That's basically what I always suggest, and I may even end up doing that myself (maybe). I'm still debating with myself haha.

Thanks for the input Genesis. I did realize that rapid fire was not the best AoE damage dealer. I swapped out my DML for one that has 19% attack speed as well as bola damage increase rather than rapid fire. Those quivers are not too expensive so it really wasn't that much of an investment. I found a cheap Litany's ring which has boosted my eHP substantially. I'll also look to stack more CD. An easy way would be to score a 2 socket manticore and get 2 radiant star emeralds... but I don't know if I want to sink that much into my DH yet.

I also swapped out my skills and do like ball lightning a lot more. I love bola shot even with the delayed explosion. I am still debating between a spike trap and guardian turret. Here is the build I am currently running (not updated on profile yet) http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/demon-hunter#WiQgdV!Yfe!caaYcc
@Xianath

It says there aren't any heroes on your account??? That is odd. In general though, you'll often be forced with that decision. The time you can start dropping eHP is when you've got more than enough. Until then, try to keep both of them balanced.

Hi Genesis,

A bit stupid of me... I'm on the EU server (just happen to like this community better) and kind of assumed it would at least link the profiles. Here's my char if it's not beyond any hope :) http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Xianath-2370/hero/1710980
I could use a little help. Not really interested in changing from DW, but any help would be nice. Thanks in advance.
@Nat001

Nice build! Three things stand out for me. Firstly, your shoulders could definitely have AR on them without increasing the cost by much. In fact, you could increase your AR, dex and vit on there by quite a bit for under 5m. Next is your bow. While it has pretty high dex, you can get 1200+ DPS mantis with dex for a pretty reasonable price. Simulate it to see if it gives you a good DPS boost (I suspect it will). My old ~1250 manti with 190 dex gave me like 6k DPS less than this one (but only had 1 soc, so it reduced my CD). Next thing is your pants. You should definitely have sockets in there. That's a great source of extra dex.

As for your skills, I have a feeling your eHP is quite high. You've got a very tanky build, so I think you can drop perfectionist. You don't have a disc regen skill, so consider putting night stalker in its place. Your CC is very high, so it will be very effective for you.

Thanks bro, appreciate your advice. I was still wondering, would a good AR, Dex and Vit help in increasing my over all DPS. I am planning to get inna's pants and a belt, not sure if that would be a good choice either.
I can use some help.

Please, keep in mind, I am EXTRA POOR. The most gold I've ever sold anything for is 600K for Goldskin. I have about 4 mil available for gear upgrades.

I know my Dex, CC and CD are low, but I'm not sure how to upgrade those on a tight budget.
I'm in the same boat as DoubleD, already spent a little on a Manticore and now only have about 2mil available for upgrades
@Sriracha

I'd really like to caution you against chasing a glass canon build. While having super high DPS is clearly something people want, it's simply not effective if you plan to do any sort of MP levels where you can't kill everything in a couple shots. If that's all you ever want to do, that's fine, but for any other gameplay, you'll lose your mind with all your deaths. For that reason, I'm going to suggest you look at the original post and compare to my sample build. It's got 20k less DPS but triple your eHP, all for 75m (probably less now with the dropping prices).

With that said, it's DPS time. For pure DPS, get an andys with way higher dex. You can get up to 250 something. I'd suggest dropping your left ring for a nats reflection (one with CC or CD would be good if you can afford it). That 3 piece set bonus is nice. Your CD needs some work, so consider getting a 2 soc manti. Though yours has high base damage, so you'd probably need a pretty good 2 soc to compete DPS-wise. Your DML could also be upgraded by 75 dex or so.

If you're purely after DPS, it's really simple. Just keep getting higher dex, CC, CD and AS. The challenging part of a DH is making a build that can put out the damage that doesn't die every other second. That is the part I have a pretty good understanding of and almost always tailor my advice to.

@ofgortens

That ring looks pretty good, but it's only got one trifecta stat. Getting a 2 soc manti is a tough call. At your current CD, you don't really need to get into that to improve your CD. My sample build has 330% unbuffed without going crazy on cost. I would highly suggest taking a look at that build and looking at how I organized the gear to maximize results.

Yeah, I fell in love with ball lightening as soon as I tried it. I like bola too, but I find the one with the 2 second delay to cause trouble when I'm facetanking elites. For that, gloom is essential, and that delay is just a ball buster sometimes. That's why I don't use it. Try out volatile explosives if you feel the same.

@Xianath

Haha no worries. I had a feeling that was it, but for some reason it wouldn't give me the option to check out the other servers. It looks lke you've sunk a lot of gold into that witching hour relative to your other gear. If you're tight on gold and looking for some upgrades, definitely consider selling it. Though I don't know how the prices differ on that server, so…

In general though, your CC could be improved, CD definitely could be improved (get a soc in your bow, that will help a ton), and your dex needs to be improved. Your HP and eHP are both a bit low, so consider working on that. Your resists aren't bad though, so I feel like it's mostly a vit, dex (dodge) and armour problem. You'll generally get higher armour when you upgrade to legendaries, so that comes hand in hand with improving DPS.

Take a look at my sample build. It gives a pretty good balance of DPS and eHP that is probably achievable for you (given what that witching hour might be worth).

@Pop

I really like how you've managed to get such high disc without even touching nats. That is really good and opens up new options for improving. Your HP is very low, so for that I would suggest you switch over to a mempo. It will give you natural life, a socket for a vit gem, a nice dex boost and could also have some vit (depending on how much you want to invest). Also consider getting a calamity that has a socket. Your CC is too low right now, so for that I would suggest dropping your lacunis for strongarms (or equivalent) bracers. I like strongarms since you get CC, %life, and vit or AR on there, but if you can find a better are, by all means grab it. Another way you could improve your CC is by getting 2 piece nats. The boots are awesome and the armour can have similar stats as your armour. I'd suggest dropping the disc on that though, otherwise the cost skyrockets and you'll have reduced vit and dex rolls. That 6 disc hit isn't crucial imo. Not sure what else to suggest other than continually improving your CC, CD, AS and dex for DPS and making sure you don't become to fragile. You're a bit of a glass canon right now which is something I generally advise against.

@Nat001

Your survivability indirectly effects your DPS. I'd refer to that as effective DPS, but that's not really a measurable thing. What I mean by that is that by reducing the number of deaths and amount of time kiting, you're actually putting out more damage. So in that sense, yes - survivability will increase your DPS. If you're talking about direct, paper DPS then only dex will improve that. Inna's pants and belt are very good items to have. You have very good eHP (over 500k!) so I would say you can afford to lose some for extra DPS if you want.

@DoubleD

I'm not really too experienced with low budget DHs to be honest. What I can say is that you have very good eHP (nearly 400k). So as far as damage mitigation goes, you're golden. It basically now comes down to finding DPS upgrades where you can afford it. Look into getting a manticore or some sort of 2h crossbow. Those builds are much cheaper and offer much better results. Look at my sample build and note what stats I put on which items. From there, go to the AH and put lower numbers for these things and see what comes up. I can't say for certain, but I feel like there will be an abundance of lower quality items on there, so you might be able to find some stuff that will improve your build without busting the bank. Keep farming and some day you will find something that will allow you to completely change everything and step your game up to the next level! Good luck.

@Reesh

You ost definitely are in the same boat as DoubleD. Great eHP but struggling on the DPS front. Your CD is excellent, but your CC is a huge problem. Try to improve that where you can. I'm going to say the same thing basically. Check out my sample build and see what stats are on which items. From there, just see what you can get for your budget! One thing though, CHANGE YOUR SHOULDERS! Don't get drawn in to the big names. Your shoulders aren't offering you any DPS and, comparatively, less eHP than cheap rare shoulders could. Get dex, vit and AR on there!
@Genesis

Thanks for the advise previously. I took into account of maintaining my armor and vit and getting some dps up by swapping a nats 2 set for att and crit chance which help slightly. Also swap a higher dps manti and DML with a budget buy of less then 15m. swap in inna's with my AR pants for higher dps as well. Only thing left is the glove as you mentioned, still searching. Am seating at 110 unbuff dps now. Perhaps anymore advise would be appreciated. No gold to get a better mempo with crit as they cost a bomb. Currently hoping to save up enough to get a 13xx manti 1 socket.

P/S: i am using my hellfire for farming xp, I have another ring with dex/vit/crit chance/att speed and socket which can push up my dps up another 10k. which will put my crit chance at 43% and attack speed 53% and crit damage at 313%
Edited by Rekka#6691 on 11/7/2012 8:36 PM PST
@Genesis

Thanks for the advise previously. I took into account of maintaining my armor and vit and getting some dps up by swapping a nats 2 set for att and crit chance which help slightly. Also swap a higher dps manti and DML with a budget buy of less then 15m. swap in inna's with my AR pants for higher dps as well. Only thing left is the glove as you mentioned, still searching. Am seating at 110 unbuff dps now. Perhaps anymore advise would be appreciated. No gold to get a better mempo with crit as they cost a bomb. Currently hoping to save up enough to get a 13xx manti 1 socket.

P/S: i am using my hellfire for farming xp, I have another ring with dex/vit/crit chance/att speed and socket which can push up my dps up another 10k. which will put my crit chance at 43% and attack speed 53% and crit damage at 313%

Looks pretty good! I'd say you've got plenty of vit, certainly enough to put an emerald in your ring. Inna's belt will be a good DPS boost for you. Beyond that, it basically just comes down to improving your dex, CC, CD and AS to get better DPS without losing all your eHP. A bow upgrade is definitely in your near future, not sure if it should be a 2 soc or not though. The extra gem slot translates into a lot of extra damage per crit while a higher base DPS bow will result in more powerful shots all the time. Simulate it to see which yields more favourable results.
@Genesis

Will do and thanks, took me some time to gear up, using the dps calculator now for future upgrades. I did compare with inna's belt, but the vit and armor/ar took quite a big hit especially, and the damage increase is slightly around 10k as well. Perhaps when I decided to go semi tank then will consider.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]