Diablo® III

Monk Budget Guide

Hello yet again, this budget guide covers the Monk class! The budget I've set today is 3 million, I go over each peice of gear and which stats you want to aim for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obv47i7GP3M&feature=plcp
Reply Quote
Liked Monk since launch, though I'd rolled a wiz first.

Wiz was stuck in act 3 normal for about a week because like most of us at the time, I had no sense

Rolled a Monk soon after and got it to Inferno about 1 week later; got stomped in act 3

Did that stuff with all classes up until 1.0.4

Since 1.0.4 and currently trying to raise the defenses and offenses of my monk with inconsiderable luck :/

Finally around 41k dps with 830 AR and 55k hp, and still getting stomped by large groups of trash in mp 0 act 3 :(

Hoping to work with 70~90m to raise my monk's dps to 70k+ with good survivability.

Subscribed, liked and am currently watching your video OP.

I WILL STAND BY MONKS UNTIL OUR RESOURCE, DEFENSES, WORTHLESS SKILLS / PASSIVES AND GENERATORS ARE BUFFED SUBSTANTIALLY.
Reply Quote
Try swapping out deadly reach for the blind with the damage increase. It will help a lot, it's almost like having a second bubble. There's also no reason to have 2 spirit gen skills without taking the passive skill. I would swap out Exalted Soul for Resolve, the extra spirit won't help nearly as much as the 20% reduced damage. Also I think you need to upgrade your weapons, life on hit is much better then life leach until you have a lot more then 40k dps. I don't have a problem clearing mp4 with my stats, 49k dps roughly unbuffed, with only 23k hp and 600'ish resists.
Reply Quote
HA, at least on the US forum i can post. that EU blizzard bastards did hit me with a 30 day ban for bumping my trade topic ONCE the next day after i logged on...

anyways, good guide by nmitty, but i dont agree on quite some advices. i have crappy hardware and i am a lousy editor, tho the information is solid.
better set for 1,3m spend @:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBELFeq24gY

ofc EU and US economies are different, so the budget ranges doesnt apply in the same way, tho the principles about what to look out for on gear are still the same.
Edited by gReMLiN#1825 on 11/8/2012 10:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
View profile
It's pretty easy to get banned on either side of the fence!
Reply Quote
Very nice video. Some very good stuff there. But you can improve your auction-house-fu a bit and construct a much better Monk for those prices. Clearly, I understand that you are constricted by your desire to make a 30 minute video, with discussion and explanations, but there are some key things you could improve:

1. Get rid of that filter by minimum item level 60. Since patch 1.0.5, items get affixes according to the level of the monster which dropped them. For jewlery, this is especially significant because there is no diference between a level 58 and level 62 ring. You could be missing some great deals.

2. You undervalue armor. You mention it when you see it, but don't ever put it in the search criteria. Because resistance comes easier to Monks, 300 Armor can be worth more than 40 AR. Gear that have 50 Cold res and +300 armor can be really cheap. Which brings me to my next point....

3. You focus too much on budget and not enough on value. You mention how you could spend a little more on rings because you saved a bit on the other gear. This is very important. More of a focus on value would let you create a better character on a budget for the same amount of work and time put in. You should always make sure you check the sort by price. Always. And speaking of sorting....

4. I know someone has probably mentioned this to you, but if you right-click the top of the table where you sort by Dex, you can select which stat you want to sort by. It doesn't have to be the first stat. They added this in 1.0.5.

Unfortunately, the payoff at the end of the video is a 36K DPS Monk. That isn't that impressive so when a 26 DPS Monk is essentially free.

Let me plug my extreme budgeting posts:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7118302005 - 5000 gold per item
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7006346587 - 2000 gold per item

Imagine if you took my 5000 gold per item Monk and then just added a 3M value weapon. Could possibly break 36K DPS right there.

The video is great. I think the biggest thing I would change is to start to focus more on value. It could be even more impressive if in the end you wound up with a 5000 Armor, 600 AR, 40K Life monk with unbuffed 50K DPS or more. That can probably be achieved for 3M.
Reply Quote
I have to agree with Demiwrath here about his point re: armor. I find armor to be very important to a monk -- higher armor makes resistances more effective. It is important to maintain a good balance, which is why I suggest to monks under 100K DPS to aim to maintain a 5K minimum on armor (buffed) and 700 AR (unbuffed). The ideal, in my view, would be 6K armor, but I find that hard to do and it might take a while to get all of the pieces to hit that goal. For me, I'm one piece away from 5.5K and i'm hoping that another one will get me closer to 5.7K.

I haven't actually watched the video, so I have no comments about that though. But thanks for putting this out there though...
Reply Quote
View profile
Check it out!
Reply Quote
View profile
Still here if you haven't seen it!
Reply Quote
View profile
Check it out guys!
Reply Quote
View profile
First legendary guide is out tomorrow!
Reply Quote
View profile
Legendary Guide's up, more to come soon!
Reply Quote
View profile
Lots of stuff coming for 1.0.7!
Reply Quote
View profile
Very nice video. Some very good stuff there. But you can improve your auction-house-fu a bit and construct a much better Monk for those prices. Clearly, I understand that you are constricted by your desire to make a 30 minute video, with discussion and explanations, but there are some key things you could improve:

1. Get rid of that filter by minimum item level 60. Since patch 1.0.5, items get affixes according to the level of the monster which dropped them. For jewlery, this is especially significant because there is no diference between a level 58 and level 62 ring. You could be missing some great deals.

2. You undervalue armor. You mention it when you see it, but don't ever put it in the search criteria. Because resistance comes easier to Monks, 300 Armor can be worth more than 40 AR. Gear that have 50 Cold res and +300 armor can be really cheap. Which brings me to my next point....

3. You focus too much on budget and not enough on value. You mention how you could spend a little more on rings because you saved a bit on the other gear. This is very important. More of a focus on value would let you create a better character on a budget for the same amount of work and time put in. You should always make sure you check the sort by price. Always. And speaking of sorting....

4. I know someone has probably mentioned this to you, but if you right-click the top of the table where you sort by Dex, you can select which stat you want to sort by. It doesn't have to be the first stat. They added this in 1.0.5.

Unfortunately, the payoff at the end of the video is a 36K DPS Monk. That isn't that impressive so when a 26 DPS Monk is essentially free.

Imagine if you took my 5000 gold per item Monk and then just added a 3M value weapon. Could possibly break 36K DPS right there.

The video is great. I think the biggest thing I would change is to start to focus more on value. It could be even more impressive if in the end you wound up with a 5000 Armor, 600 AR, 40K Life monk with unbuffed 50K DPS or more. That can probably be achieved for 3M.

tag
Reply Quote
View profile

tag
Reply Quote
View profile
Say what?
Reply Quote
View profile
02/01/2013 09:38 AMPosted by TryHardNmity
Say what?

You never played "tag"?
You're it, DUH!

I do that so it appears in my post history so I can read it at a later time.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]