Diablo® III

Voice of the forum Blizzard cares, Why?

Let's be honest here. 99% of the stuff posted on every forum everywhere is gibberish. Blizzard doesn't need our suggestions, nor do they care. (and why would they) we have no creditability. We are just an anonymous hoard who can never agree on anything. The forums are here to create a community among players, and to act as a means of first response to bugs, exploits and on going issues. That is it. If you think bliz is going to change something because some people cried about it. WRONG. They are making the decisions based on metrics (or at least should be). Take note to EVERY Blue post ever.

There has not been one in the single history of the game that went like so.

"Dear forum member, your suggestion is really something interesting we never thought of. We are going to task the development team on it and see if it's something that is viable"

However EVERY blue post EVER goes like this.

"Dear forum member, your suggestion coincides with something we noticed* that had already been under development. (*Here is where the metrics come in). So and so is unbalanced and agree it needs changing"

Just like most of you don't care what 99% of the other posts have to say neither does anybody including blizzard it's just white noise.

So you can complain all you want, RD is BAD, RD is GOOD. It doesn't matter. There are so many conflicting point of views it would be foolish as a company for blizzard to make any decisions based on the voice of the community because unlike the metrics they are capable of viewing, we simply do not display a singular point of view.

In the end we are really just here on the forum to share our tales, promote the game, trade items and interact with each other. Enjoy it for what it is and you won't be pissed off all the time.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 10:20 PM PST
Reply Quote
You're wrong. I could explain why but i don't have that kind of time
Reply Quote
Blizzard cares, because it's free metrics.. free feedback, free usability testing, free focus groups etc... not every thread, or every post is helpful, but if an issue keeps popping up and has a majority of users asking for nerf to RD, it brings it to the attention of Blizzard that players are concerned about RD. They can have a meeting and talk about it. I'm sure they aren't building the game and fine tuning balance solely on forum feedback, but I doubt they discount any valuable information. Now, how much valuable information passes through the 'general' discussion, that's debatable.
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 10:56 AMPosted by pixelrage
Now, how much valuable information passes through the 'general' discussion, that's debatable.

+1
Reply Quote
Reading the general forums is like panning for gold in an open sewer.

They still find a nugget here and there.

Generally speaking, companies cannot and do not acknowledge product suggestions from the general public due to potential legal issues regarding intellectual property.
Reply Quote
No I'm not wrong and I'll take it one step further. Not only do we have no say the Community managers (ie blues) who post in the forum have no say as well. They are simply online customer service that is it. It's not free metrics it's pseudo metrics. Who ever posts the most doesn't mean they are the "will of the community". Typically it's the opposite the most frequent posters are flagged for being obsessive. If blizzard wanted our feedback on a constant basis they would have a feedback and suggestion forum at all times like they did during PTR. If they cared about our opinion on RD. They would have a survey.

However there is one position that should be doing this, and it's currently unfilled.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=120007Q

However that doesn't mean they have a say in what happens, more so they are there to say wooo woo wooo.. You know that new change you guys proposed in PTR the largest % of our player base is unhappy the forums are in arms, and everybody else in the meeting goes LOL the forums are always in arms. The extent of the community managers/forum involvement in actual game changes is filling out a bugzilla report.. "!@#$ they figured out how to wield 2x 2h handers.. fix it ASAP."

Look at it this way. If called customer service say dell for example and was like. Hey guys I just got the new XPS9999999 and you know what would make it EVEN BETTER. MORE RAM! FOR FREE! Do you think that rep would be like WAIT A MINUTE! I think you got something. More ram for the same price.. GENIUS! You sir gave me the idea that is finally going to get me that promotion I need. BRB I gotta go speak to Michael Dell about this.. He then runs off down the halls screaming STOP PRODUCTION ON THE NEW MODEL! This idea I got is going to change everything.. Just as that happens another customer service rep on the other side of the building starts running down the hall doing the same thing.. Only his customer said You know what would be great if you removed 2 gigs of unneeded ram and lowered the price! Running full speed towards Mr. Dells door, they collide causing the world to divide by 0 and implode.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 11:19 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Brahm
Let's be honest here. 99% of the stuff posted on every forum everywhere is gibberish. Blizzard doesn't need our suggestions, nor do they care. (and why would they) we have no creditability.

I stopped reading rite there! They SHOULD care, its our money being spent on crap game such as this 1!
Reply Quote
Let's be honest here. 99% of the stuff posted on every forum everywhere is gibberish. Blizzard doesn't need our suggestions, nor do they care. (and why would they) we have no creditability.

I stopped reading rite there! They SHOULD care, its our money being spent on crap game such as this 1!

They do care, they care about facts. Which would you be more likely to act on.

1) I hand you a chart that showed 60% of players who logged out of the game as a result of death did so after dieing against a pack that had a reflect damage affix among it. 80% Who did faced 2 such packs in a row.

2) I hand you a report of 10 Posts of people saying REFLECT DAMAGE SUCKS HAIRY FRENCH BULL DOG BALLS, and 6 Posts of people saying Reflect damage makes the game challenging, and another 12 posts of people calling each other cry babies.

The fact that you don't care enough to read the rest of this post.. Proves my point.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 11:23 AM PST
Reply Quote
Let's be honest here. 99% of the stuff posted on every forum everywhere is gibberish. Blizzard doesn't need our suggestions, nor do they care. (and why would they) we have no creditability....

Yup that's u alright, OP. Stop your gibberish.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Lets see, since apparently many of you don't play WoW -

Change to honor, guild levels, guild perks, Pandarens(Been called for since Vanilla by those of us who played Warcraft 3), streamlined talent system(WoW and D3), being able to choose gender(D3).

I like my Sorceress and my Amazon in D2. Would love the skills of that class on a male though. They do listen, but not every idea and suggestion is actually viable in the game, or an idea is at complete odds to what is already in the works, or the idea just isn't good. If they listened to ALL of us, then NO class would do ANY damage, since they would be nerfed soo much. You login and beat the game and get a full set of Legendary set items that makes you godly.
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Axle
Let's be honest here. 99% of the stuff posted on every forum everywhere is gibberish. Blizzard doesn't need our suggestions, nor do they care. (and why would they) we have no creditability....

Ah, the troll. Welcome to the party.
Reply Quote
Lets see, since apparently many of you don't play WoW -

Change to honor, guild levels, guild perks, Pandarens(Been called for since Vanilla by those of us who played Warcraft 3), streamlined talent system(WoW and D3), being able to choose gender(D3).

I like my Sorceress and my Amazon in D2. Would love the skills of that class on a male though. They do listen, but not every idea and suggestion is actually viable in the game, or an idea is at complete odds to what is already in the works, or the idea just isn't good. If they listened to ALL of us, then NO class would do ANY damage, since they would be nerfed soo much. You login and beat the game and get a full set of Legendary set items that makes you godly.

No I didn't play WoW, but if you look at the posts made here in D3 it's pretty obvious (and it's how it works at every company i've ever been at). Look at how the responses are worded. I know we all like to get a warm fuzzy feeling like we are making difference, but it's just marketing hype used to groom the community into a greater level of activity.

Honestly it's not a bad thing. When I go back and read some of the stuff I posted I wouldn't listen to me either ;)
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 11:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
Well none of my [feedback] threads have ever had a blue post. Not even to say "Thanks for your input". When I leave such feedback it can take me a long time to post. Im talking a few pages worth of text in a friendly, professional manner.

Iv been a games QA and a 3d animator so my feedback will have something worth reading. However the effort to do so isn't worth it if you don't get some praise or acknowledgment.

At this time I have about 10 pages of feedback on a Notepad that I could post but have put it off for months as I feel it will be a waist of time.

In the OP's defence, yes, many feedback threads are rather lame and hateful. I wouldn't blame Blizz for skipping some of these. Yet yesterday someone commented on wanting to buy Diablo Toys and I saw one of the most detailed Blue posts I have ever seen. $$$
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Something that I remember on the old WoW forums -

Its also a legal issue. If they outright say an idea from so and so was taken, then that person has the ability to try for royalties. So, they word things very specifically to try and protect themselves. I remember giving a suggestion to a GM once - they had long disclaimer I had to agree to that said if my idea was used, that I wouldn't get anything from it, because as soon as I gave it to the GM it was then Blizzards property.
Reply Quote
Still need proof?

Thanks for your feedback!

As Lylirra mentioned here, we're definitely aware of the frustration vendoring the wrong item can cause for players (I've done it, myself). We strongly urge players to use caution whenever selling items to a vendor, and to take advantage of the Buyback tab in instances where an oversight occurs, but beyond that, we have no immediate plans for an additional layer of protection.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7004344528?page=2#27

Show me a blizzard post that has to do with a change and gives credit to the poster for coming up with the idea, and I'll gladly concede ignorance on the matter..or not even as far as giving credit but simply not stating it was an idea they were already aware of or looking into.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 11:40 AM PST
Reply Quote
Something that I remember on the old WoW forums -

Its also a legal issue. If they outright say an idea from so and so was taken, then that person has the ability to try for royalties. So, they word things very specifically to try and protect themselves. I remember giving a suggestion to a GM once - they had long disclaimer I had to agree to that said if my idea was used, that I wouldn't get anything from it, because as soon as I gave it to the GM it was then Blizzards property.

Was the GM your cousin? ;) JK. It's possible but as an anonymous forum poster you can understand if I don't believe you as a creditable source of information and won't just take your word for it. Especially when posting from your wow account you could not even own d3 as far as I know. :) Not trying to be rude but from my perspective it's how I can see things.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 11:42 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Brahm

Brahm, I do apologize for offending u. Couldn't play the game at the end of day does get me into a bad mood. I do agree with u in a way that Blizzard can't take every suggestions. May be it's just my wishful thinking that they will listen to us from time to time. But then what do I know. Peace.
Reply Quote
Better Brahm?
Edited by Sylvax#1832 on 11/6/2012 11:53 AM PST
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Sylvax
Better Brahm?

Huh, what is there to be better about I'm not upset. Just sort of "A more you know" type post.
Reply Quote

Brahm, I do apologize for offending u. Couldn't play the game at the end of day does get me into a bad mood. I do agree with u in a way that Blizzard can't take every suggestions. May be it's just my wishful thinking that they will listen to us from time to time. But then what do I know. Peace.

Not offended trolling is great it can create lively entertaining conversation if it doesn't get out of hand.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]