Diablo® III

Voice of the forum Blizzard cares, Why?

While indeed the forums (and social media in general) are intended for players to interact and chat with each other about whatever interests them, I whole-heartedly disagree that we don’t care about feedback. We do care, and feedback from the forums has absolutely influenced the direction of Diablo III.

The thing is, we as community managers don’t make the calls on what should and shouldn’t be implemented or changed in Diablo III. That’s not our job. So it’s true that you’ll never see us saying we’re tasking the development team for anything, because we don’t make those sorts of decisions for them.

What we DO do, however, is to keep in touch with the development team and relay important discussions and trends that we see in the forums on to them. Similarly, we often work with our developers so that they can relay information to us about what’s going on behind the scenes with Diablo III, and help us to answer your questions. This community is certainly full of ideas and competing points of view, and they are all extremely valuable to us. Your discussions often provide insight into concerns and ideas that may or may not have been prominent on our radar, and our job as community representatives is make sure the developers are aware of what you think.

At the end of the day, it’s up for the developers to determine what decisions are made for Diablo III. Those decisions can be influenced by the community at-large, and we genuinely appreciate that so many of you take the time to leave us constructive feedback, regardless of whether or not it is directly incorporated into Diablo III.

Thanks for the response Vaeflare. Of course you guys "care", but it's not going to be the deciding factor just as you said. If there was a 100 posts saying "don't do this" but statistics that say you should make the changes regardless that's how you guys are making the decisions because the ACTION of the players is more important then loudest voice. We appreciate you guys relaying info from the dev's and passing what "trends" you guys notice.

It would be great if we could get a little insight into the process of how things come up in the developers your que in terms of changes to the game. Granted it really isn't any of our business, but it would be fun to know! I'm sure it would take a lot of heat of the big cheese when people learned the choices to say change (be it buff, or nerf) an aspect of the game are based of analytic decisions from user behaviors or at least a comity of the game developers vs the presumed darts vs sticky notes, or number of "cry baby" threads.

Again I'm glad you posted and were able to shed some light I feel like you guys (like many community managers) get a bum rep as the face of the company and are the first line of defense from the relentless hoards of players. Keep up the good work!

To the people who are saying the post was gibberish, or misguided. Read the response, and read what I wrote. I've been in this position, I've ran forums for companies before, I know how it works. Bliz did not disagree. They responding a respectful, kind manner, as informative as they are allowed they can be, w/out isolating the user base and I/We appreciate that! But don't get disillusioned I can post every day 1000 times a day an rally everybody I know to do the same that we want to ubers be randomized 2 boss battles via a pool of greater then 6 bosses so the fights won't always be the same or the combos predictable but unless it's on the scope from another means it's not going to happen.

What's the true gibberish is the mind set that bliz can't say "We heard that opinion on x from players and thought it was a great idea so that's why we are doing X." Of course they could if that ever happened. You should read the User agreement and policy on the forum before spreading such silly rumors that they are some how legal bound to never give credit to the "user base". I can assure you if there was a case that warranted nothing would get the community more hyped up (given us a sense of value and ownership over the game thus securing out connection to it then coming out and saying just that.
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 7:54 PM PST
Reply Quote
While indeed the forums (and social media in general) are intended for players to interact and chat with each other about whatever interests them, I whole-heartedly disagree that we don’t care about feedback. We do care, and feedback from the forums has absolutely influenced the direction of Diablo III.

The thing is, we as community managers don’t make the calls on what should and shouldn’t be implemented or changed in Diablo III. That’s not our job. So it’s true that you’ll never see us saying we’re tasking the development team for anything, because we don’t make those sorts of decisions for them.

What we DO do, however, is to keep in touch with the development team and relay important discussions and trends that we see in the forums on to them. Similarly, we often work with our developers so that they can relay information to us about what’s going on behind the scenes with Diablo III, and help us to answer your questions. This community is certainly full of ideas and competing points of view, and they are all extremely valuable to us. Your discussions often provide insight into concerns and ideas that may or may not have been prominent on our radar, and our job as community representatives is make sure the developers are aware of what you think.

At the end of the day, it’s up for the developers to determine what decisions are made for Diablo III. Those decisions can be influenced by the community at-large, and we genuinely appreciate that so many of you take the time to leave us constructive feedback, regardless of whether or not it is directly incorporated into Diablo III.

If anyone at blizzard truly did care you would have read the + 16 total threads on PTR asking for significant true buff's for the monk class and done something about it.

If anyone at blizzard truly did care about their customers and their options of feedback you would have paid attention to the 4 total threads ( 92+ pages) about why specific nerf's to the wizard class was a very wrong step, in a very wrong direction.

If anyone at blizzard really did care they would balance the game for skill diversity by doing actually something other than just plain increasing damage of under used skill "a".

Your feedback goes a long ways too, all of us customers that liked 1.04 paid close attention to posts made on behalf of the developers by the cm's. Clearly the feedback (read lack there-of) given to the community fell EXTREMELY short of expectations.

You, know a game should be fun. Not a slog fest where the only way to make your character effective is to farm for +200 hours to fill out your gear. Pay attention to your own population numbers and ask yourselves why is a specific class//skill under used.

When you approach the game development from a standpoint of how can I make the game more fun, look for very specific ways to do this.

For me personally patch 1.05 was 1 step forward 2 steps back because my 2 favorite classes and builds got a very had "slap" of nerf reality. <--- Fun, not really in order to reach near parity to my old farming runs I had to spend a handsome bundle of gold to upgrade my gear.
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 07:36 PMPosted by Death
If you think bliz is going to change something because some people cried about it. WRONG. They are making the decisions based on metrics (or at least should be). Take note to EVERY Blue post ever.

I don't know if this was a troll thread or not.

Quite a few gaming companies rely on community feedback when it comes to improving their games.

Just look at other official gaming forums where the developers communicate with their players.

Even competitive fighting games such as SFxT or MK needed community feedback when it came to making balance decisions.

Constructive feedback at it's best may as bliz said may get passed on if it shows it's self as a trend among the community, but it's not re-ordering the production schedule. I'm sure (which maybe if we are lucky enough to get another response). Any information that does get passed is compared to analytic data based on user behavior patterns. Our crazy contradictory rambling will never be enough to force the hand.
Reply Quote
11/06/2012 06:44 PMPosted by unkeMpt
You've already been proven wrong, as many suggestions we've made here on the forums have gone through in patches/updates. Blizzard may not be the smartest company, but they do listen to feedback, as does almost every other successful company.

Oh I can explain that.. RNG :) Think of the sheer number of posts, and suggestions we are all playing the same game. If you cover an entire roulette table you are bound to get your number!
Edited by Brahm#1943 on 11/6/2012 8:05 PM PST
Reply Quote
By monitoring "Trends" of discussion & submitting that, Blizzard will never fix the little !@#$ that bugs people.

Biggest flaw in their community service imo.
Reply Quote
By monitoring "Trends" of discussion & submitting that, Blizzard will never fix the little !@#$ that bugs people.

Biggest flaw in their community service imo.

Of course they will because they have (or should have) stats that show player behavior patterns, but he community isn't for that it can't be. There is to much white noise, nobody agrees, and some people disagree just to do that. If you want to see a change change your play behavior. If 60% of the player base skips packs with an extra health affix. It will show up in a report.
Reply Quote
The vocal community at large is also a bunch of facebook loving, console gaming carebears who wouldn't know what a decent gameplay experience is if their lives depended on it. Either that or they are trolling. Take your pick.

They are, fortunately, also the minority. Never forget that.

But it is true that numerous people on these forums don't necessarily hate the game, they just wish it was better. Those who do exercise their fury and say outright they hate the game are, quite clearly, trolls.

There's no in-between in my eyes: You're either on the forums to discuss the game (either by looking for help or by offering your own input to make it better) or you're in the game playing it because you don't know about the forums or care.

The "in-between" is the troll, because if you really hated the game that much you would just leave. Anyone who is actually serious about hating the game and then keeps playing it is either a troll or the dumbest person alive.

One issue that makes this not so black and white is that numerous players who are passionate and who actually like the game and want it to be better just have trouble articulating what they want in a constructive manner.
Edited by MrTastix#1610 on 11/6/2012 8:27 PM PST
Reply Quote
Good feedback Vae, one of the things that bug me about this game is how unsocial it feels. Im sure there is a vast amount of information on it, but it would be nice if this was addressed in the next, err...12 months say :)
Reply Quote
We do care, and feedback from the forums has absolutely influenced the direction of Diablo III.

Seriously? People still think Blizzard doesn't care about feedbacks? SERIOUSLY? After all the nerfs and buffs classes got? >_<

EDIT:
For all I know, people just wants to complain and complain until they can play the game HOW THEY WANT, WHEN THEY WANT.

Removal of this, buff this, change this.. all selfish acts for their own. And once they've gotten it, once the changes are made, they'd find another stuff they WANT to be how they WANT it to be. LOL.

Go make your own game ^_^
Edited by Chrizzle#1390 on 11/6/2012 9:06 PM PST
Reply Quote
hey
Reply Quote
You are the 99%!
Reply Quote
View profile
"Dear forum member, your suggestion is really something interesting we never thought of. We are going to task the development team on it and see if it's something that is viable"

However EVERY blue post EVER goes like this.

"Dear forum member, your suggestion coincides with something we noticed* that had already been under development. (*Here is where the metrics come in). So and so is unbalanced and agree it needs changing"

I disagree with you, our feedback is vital to Blizz. Many changes were made because of our feedback. Do you really believe that Blizz would've changed the legendaries if we had not complained about it? I highly doubt it, do you think that Blizz would've said legendaries suck, if no one posted about how bad they were before the buff. Then Blizz buffs legendaries without any comment from us. Hardly, our comments along with the comments of others in the world is what got Blizz to take a second look at legendaries and what made them agree with us.

I was no doubt one of the ones here on the forums that suggested legendaries have some of the monster affixes that we run into in the game. I also suggested as no doubt many others of how to handle the feast or famine of the WD's mana. Where I said you could make his primaries function like the Wizards primaries. Where when a WD cast a primary he would have the benefit of the old VQ while casting. Then Blizz changes VQ to help the WD by having it affect the primary skills of the WD.

No doubt many others have had their suggestions come to life in this game. They do not have to have the dev team relay back to us. Hey guys we never thought about that at all.

Seeing our suggestions being implemented is enough to show us that our feedback counts and is important to them.
Reply Quote
What we have is a great game progressively getting better. Why? I think due to feedback and statistical data they collect from game.
I think early frustration at not finding good gear was warranted, and has been addressed and most likely is still being reviewed.
The AH may be flooded with more items as some now say, and has reduced prices to a degree.
I think this is good. it gives everyone a chance to advance, not just those who have made it to the top and trade with other billionaires as they are they only ones able to afford godly bits.

Enough said, been done before too often.
Reply Quote

TL:DR,

Our Community Manager's are actually decent, hardworking people doing their job and so are the Devs. That's perfectly fine.

I suppose and assume the main issue here is because there's so many layers of bureaucracy the whole process seems to appear to most of the community that nothing is being done.

Why not change the system? Community managers are here to manage the community, (clean up threads, monitor discussions, help players out) it would be far more appropriate and useful if the Dev's themselves came down to discuss about the more important mechanics of the game, the ones they have control over and our community managers unfortunately can do nothing about.

Community managers should just highlight issues/ important discussions in forums to the Devs. But let the Dev's themselves answer or respond to these discussions.
Reply Quote
You don't want that you really don't want that.. Dev don't do well in "social" settings. They need translators. lol
Reply Quote
Vaeflare:

Obligatory Office Space:

Bob Slydell: So what you do is you take the specifications from the customers and you bring them down to the software engineers?

Tom: That, that’s right.

Bob Porter: Well, then I gotta ask, then, why can’t the customers just take the specifications directly to the software people?

Tom: Well, uh, uh, uh, because, uh, engineers are not good at dealing with customers.

Bob Slydell: You physically take the specs from the customer?

Tom: Well, no, my, my secretary does that, or, or the fax.

Bob Slydell: Ah.

Bob Porter: Then you must physically bring them to the software people.

Tom: Well…no. Yeah, I mean, sometimes.

Bob Slydell: Well, what would you say you ... do here?

Tom: Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the !@#$%^- customers so the engineers don’t have to!! I have people skills!! I am good at dealing with people!!! Can’t you understand that?!? WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!!!!!!!

Don't worry CMs, just remember, if you hang in there long enough, good things can happen in this world.

AMIRITE?
Edited by Wye#2105 on 11/7/2012 4:05 AM PST
Reply Quote
No I'm not wrong and I'll take it one step further. Not only do we have no say the Community managers (ie blues) who post in the forum have no say as well. They are simply online customer service that is it. It's not free metrics it's pseudo metrics. Who ever posts the most doesn't mean they are the "will of the community". Typically it's the opposite the most frequent posters are flagged for being obsessive. If blizzard wanted our feedback on a constant basis they would have a feedback and suggestion forum at all times like they did during PTR. If they cared about our opinion on RD. They would have a survey.

However there is one position that should be doing this, and it's currently unfilled.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/posting.html?id=120007Q

However that doesn't mean they have a say in what happens, more so they are there to say wooo woo wooo.. You know that new change you guys proposed in PTR the largest % of our player base is unhappy the forums are in arms, and everybody else in the meeting goes LOL the forums are always in arms. The extent of the community managers/forum involvement in actual game changes is filling out a bugzilla report.. "!@#$ they figured out how to wield 2x 2h handers.. fix it ASAP."

Look at it this way. If called customer service say dell for example and was like. Hey guys I just got the new XPS9999999 and you know what would make it EVEN BETTER. MORE RAM! FOR FREE! Do you think that rep would be like WAIT A MINUTE! I think you got something. More ram for the same price.. GENIUS! You sir gave me the idea that is finally going to get me that promotion I need. BRB I gotta go speak to Michael Dell about this.. He then runs off down the halls screaming STOP PRODUCTION ON THE NEW MODEL! This idea I got is going to change everything.. Just as that happens another customer service rep on the other side of the building starts running down the hall doing the same thing.. Only his customer said You know what would be great if you removed 2 gigs of unneeded ram and lowered the price! Running full speed towards Mr. Dells door, they collide causing the world to divide by 0 and implode.

That was actualy quite funny. +1 for being funny.
Reply Quote
Personally I get a lot of enjoyment out of how dynamic the D3 world is, each patch creates new challenges and balancing techniques. There are some character balancing techniques and PVP everyone is waiting for as well.

An end to updates means they're satisfied with their product, regular hotfixing and patching means Blizzard understands there will always be room for improvement.

- DirtyBurt
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]