Diablo® III

Follower items are absolutely useless...

11/07/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Grimiku
Thanks for letting us know that you think follower relics could be more interesting. Do you have an example of what would make these items more valuable to you?

Well, for one, you can change the concept of revolving item affixes on stats. But this point reflects your actual characters too, not just followers. Every item has the same affixes and everybody looks for the same affixes on items. Stats. Stats. Stats.

Maybe in the expansion, the heavy dependance on stats can be improved, allowing items to have many other unique affixes, which makes all items a little different, and makes people look for something other than their primary attribute.

• Character specific items which give additional points to abilities (not sure how this works with the current system though). I know there are items that increases damage of a skill by a %, but these are extremly rare (I've never found one) and there are only limited spells that are actually affected by items.
  • I'm sure I could mention many many more affixes, but you get the idea.
  • Look at Diablo 2 items. They are interesting. I hope this point is considered, I'd love to see items improve.
    Edited by Radicool#1786 on 11/9/2012 12:40 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    i know is a big off topic but i just wish we can actually have some control over our follower

for example, numpad7 says runs. our follower will actually run or move away from mortar? or stop hitting elites tat had shield on.

no sure whether is it too much to ask for

as for the items. yeah is absolutely useless atm
    Reply Quote
    View profile
    Thanks for letting us know that you think follower relics could be more interesting. Do you have an example of what would make these items more valuable to you?

I use the merc as a magicfind/goldfind stat dump. He doesn't do any damage and he doesn't take any hits. I would always be happy to see more magicfind and goldfind.

Without getting terribly creative, it could be another location where you can actually put stats on the item that improve YOUR statistics.

Allowing the think-juices to flow, a few other ideas come to mind.

As somebody else had mentioned, the relics can bestow a new ability upon the follower. It might have to be a CC ability of one kind or another, since it's obvious they were never intended to do a worthwhile amount of damage. I assume that the whole reason they were included in the game was for this reason, as having relics as-is simply doesn't make sense when they could just add a helmet slot instead. I can also assume that it was already intended on being added in the expansion.

A stat called FOLLOWER pickup radius could be added to those relics. It allows your merc to pick stuff up for you.

Some other people also mentioned a buff aura sort of thing.

I suppose it could be a pack. Instead of stats, the item slot could be used for another inventory space, where the follower could be instructed to pick up items based on your own criteria (blue weapons only... something like that).

A stat on those items that cause the follower to do normal player amounts of damage to ONE SPECIFIC kind of demon would be neat as well.
    Reply Quote
    biggest impovement: mute follower
    Reply Quote
    Let follower able to equip full gear, so i can get some use of those unsalable drops, should be more fun to gear up someone without auction house.
    Reply Quote
    I know that community input is important but this just makes me think Blizzard is incompetent. Really, you can't think of anything to make followers better? You really think we want a walking stat stick that never shuts up trailing us, getting 2-shot by any remotely powerful enemy?

Seriously though, make relics more like charms in D2. Ez solution.
    Edited by tubasteve#1111 on 11/9/2012 7:02 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Maybe this has already been said but here goes...

Since we get a percentage of their magic find and gold find, just extend that to all stats in the same way.

Very easy to do and wouldnt be game breaking.

You could actually stack stats on them that would benefit you... crit chance, or pure vit, or resists or whatever.

That and make set items work on followers.
    Reply Quote
    I have spent a few mil on my followers for servieability and only time they really die are on pain in the @$$ packs.
    Reply Quote
    IMO a great way to imporve the usefullness of followers would be to allow stacking of LoH, Regen, Life after Kill, Life Steal and other EHP stats that the follower currently doesn't share with the player. Getting 1% more LS, 50-250 LoH, 100-200 Hp regen ect would really make a difference at higher levels and MP.
    Reply Quote
    I for one like the abilities the followers have, and i think a relic with Cooldown would be cool.
    Don't know if anyone has said that yet, or if there IS one with CD (havent played since August).
    Templars AoE taunt has saved me so often, so I'm all about it happening more.
    Reply Quote
    i'd hunt far and wide for one that cast cone of silence on my follower. :P

LOL, I agree. However, I think the real problem is they have a limited number of things to say.

Blizzard is fond of contest, so, how about a contest to come up with verbage for the followers to say.

But, PLEASE remove their complaints caused by non-action.
    Edited by Piedlpiper#1708 on 11/9/2012 10:05 AM PST
    Reply Quote
    Equipping follows sometimes feels kinda bland...tailor them a bit to what you want on them, and then their follower-unique relic is the most boring stat stick of them all.

It would be fun to see them be more like certain class related items, making an ability stronger. In the case of a follower, maybe that could be empowering an ability to modify/strengthen how it works. Things like maybe on the Scoundrel's 3% crit talent, a relic empowerment could make it like a mini Sharpshooter, it grants .5% crit chance per second until a crit. Nothing huge, but something that might be fun for people to have. I'm sure people and staff could come up with cooler ones than my example.
    Reply Quote
    1) Allow thier items to have movement speed increase that applies to both.
    2) Any item worn by them that has pickup radius, applies to both the character and the follower.
    3) Aura's like others have stated.
    4) Allow auto item pickup of other things: Crafting stuff, gems, rares. I can see people swaping out thier followers gear based upon what they are hunting for treasure wise.

Having them automatically pick up items would be awesome. Even if it was specific to one type of item, i.e. rares, legendaries, gems, or potions.
    Reply Quote
    i havent picked up follower items since may
    Reply Quote
    try giving follower a skill tree instead of this or this 2 options isnt much of a choice as well as allowing us to do more with them fully dress them etc....
    Reply Quote
    I do not believe they are completely useless. after 1.05 the enchantress polymorph ability seems to be much more effective (duration lasts a little longer).
    Reply Quote
    No, they are useless. MF a useless stat at higher paragon levels. They are...totally useless. And you cant put enough gear on them. Lame. Nice job blizz.
    Reply Quote
    11/13/2012 04:36 AMPosted by Kush
    No, they are useless. MF a useless stat at higher paragon levels. They are...totally useless. And you cant put enough gear on them. Lame. Nice job blizz.

Well, this about sums it up I guess - followers are pretty useless to gear. You give 'em enough gear so they're not constantly dying and that's about it - they'll never have worthwhile DPS.
    Reply Quote
    Unless they have really high Vit, my Follower's spend most their time Tebow'n. Would be nice to see in the future a % of All their stats shared with my main toon...similar to how we share 20% magic/gold find.

Not sure if this was mentioned previously but that would really peak my interest to deck out my followers in appropriate gear if that gear was to help bump my stats.
    Reply Quote

How about restoring the enchantress to where she was for openers? she provides really no use at all, like so much else in the game.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]