Diablo® III

life on kill question on weapon

11/19/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
if i dmg a mob but my party member kills him instead, do i get the full percent HP return, a partial return based on dmg done, or no return in HP?

No, you don't receive a return in HP.

On a larger scale, this is something we've been discussing how to improve. We definitely realize the way Life on Kill works right now isn't very co-op friendly. When you're playing with a group of people and sharing your killing blows, the affix just doesn't have as much value as it does in solo games, and that can be a really poor user experience. We also recognize the same applies to various skills, such as the wizard's Archon ability.

We still want players to feel like they can gear/build their characters differently for solo vs. co-op, of course, and we think there will always be some affixes and skills that are better in one more or the other. But, at the moment, the degree of advantage seems like too much of a swing (I imagine a lot of players would agree). We've been discussing possible solutions for how we can bring LoK/Archon/etc into better balance between the two game types, but haven't settled on the best course of action just yet. This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

You may want to rethink the Monk's spirit generation too. I haven't played my monk in a very long time, but I used to regularly game with a friend in act 2 inferno all the time, and he was a Demon Hunter. I was constantly annoyed that he was killing trash in front of me so that I couldn't regen my spirit. It was so frustrating.

By the time I came up to an elite pack, I had no spirit. Sometimes we'd die and he'd yell at me for not being able to tank it. But I had no spirit to do anything.
Reply Quote
What's this? Hope for archon builds at high MP?

It's good that the blues let us know what they're planning to do in later patches.
Reply Quote
Base more things On Critical Hit as opposed to On Kill.

Life On Critical Hit.

Archon gains 0.125 second duration per Critical Hit.

&c.
Reply Quote
Out of all the suggestions so far, not to toot my own horn, but my suggestion sounds the best.
Reply Quote
Im just having this thoughts too when i got my sword in my Wiz.
Yeah its a big issue in coop.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 07:59 PMPosted by ihaveshirts
Out of all the suggestions so far, not to toot my own horn, but my suggestion sounds the best.

LoK has been critical to my setup thus far. If your idea were added to the way LoK works already, I would support it. But if you can't kill everything within your gold radius as it is, you have issues.

I personally like the life on crit. However, I think if you stack a little of both (LoH / LoK) this really shouldn't be an issue.

Kind of a waste of a blue post, imo.
Reply Quote
just a suggestion i remebr diablo had a diamond gem witch is not in this game.

another thing crafting went dull noone does it much any more sugestion bring rune words back .

pvp big thing i no u hear to much about it but in my opion and all the gamer would want that to be the number 1 thing to be implemented ..

another thing make end game jeweler plan drop that allows all the gem type to convert into one gem to share atributes i think that would be a game winner there
2)allow jeweler to craft sockets in unsocketed items like diablo once u beat inferno u get a socket reward in any item can only use it once i think would add spunk to the game i think.

allow rune to drop like diabl0 2

and last thing

allow ther waypoints to tranfser to act to act back and forth like diablo 2 with out leaving the
game or losing valors.
Reply Quote
Let life on kill proc on the death of any mob you've damaged (regardless of whom gets the KB and as long as you are in XP range). If that's too OP then have it give a % of life on kill based on the total damage you did to the mob regardless of who kills the mob and as long as you are in XP range.
Edited by ElevenEleven#1177 on 11/19/2012 9:00 PM PST
Reply Quote
This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

Off-the-wall idea: Scale the value up in co-op games. Maybe it's multiplied by the number of players in the party; maybe it depends on the mob life bonuses, whatever they are these days. Assuming a four-player party in which each player gets a quarter of the kills, LoK will essentially work as if each player were playing solo and had killed all the mobs himself.

I think scaling it to the multi-player mob life increase would prevent the abuse that could occur if the value were multiplied by the number of players in the game. (Imagine asking your buddy to come along, bumping mob life by 50%, and then getting 2x LoK bonuses.)
Reply Quote
How about this blue,

If a monster has 100 HP,
In a 2-player coop game, Player A with 100 life on kill manage to damage the enemy with 60 damage, while Player B with 200 life on kill manage to do remaining 40.

Sooooooo,

Player A damage is 60% of the monsters HP = translate to 60% of his life on kill
(0.60x100=60 life on kill)

Player B damage is 40% of the monsters HP = translate to 40% of his life on kill
(0.40x200=80 life on kill)

Now... it doesnt matter who killed the monster, the only thing that matter now is HOW MUCH damage each dealt on that monster.

So in a coop game, if only 1 player only do the damage and kill the monster, he's the only one who get his FULL life on kill.
Reply Quote
How about this, keep the LoK/ability bonus time but change how it works in parties, as you're already at a disadvantage with enemies closing in on you and not being vaporized.
two solutions exist for party play w/ archon or the WD skill for cooldown bonus on kill

instead of giving 1 sec bonus per kill give a x(#number of party members) per kill

OR

give the bonus after every whole fraction of life the monster has, so for 1 skelly, you'd get 4 seconds of cooldown for the entire kill if you make the kill within a party of four, anyway both are pretty simple concepts

ofc, MP level won't affect cooldowns,
Reply Quote
Sounds awsome, It can be really difficult to find that right balance espcially playing within groups. Having said that group play is by far and away the most enjoyable and i do spend atleast 70-80% of my game time in groups. Id love to see it fully optimised so more people start to try it (its actually awsome). Eitherway I love the direction the game is going.

Dont let the trolls grieve you
Reply Quote
Could just add another condition to it, the first one of course being, doing a last hit on the enemy. Modifying it so that it works like in LoL so that there's a 2sec window where you will still get bonus even if an ally kills that enemy.

The second one is when an enemy die in your pickup radius.
Edited by Techies#1508 on 11/20/2012 1:13 AM PST
Reply Quote
Raise the experiences gain and loot drops by 400% in a full 4 man co-op games.

As of now, co-op games are dead!
Reply Quote
if i dmg a mob but my party member kills him instead, do i get the full percent HP return, a partial return based on dmg done, or no return in HP?

On a larger scale, this is something we've been discussing how to improve. We definitely realize the way Life on Kill works right now isn't very co-op friendly. When you're playing with a group of people and sharing your killing blows, the affix just doesn't have as much value as it does in solo games, and that can be a really poor user experience. We also recognize the same applies to various skills, such as the wizard's Archon ability.

We still want players to feel like they can gear/build their characters differently for solo vs. co-op, of course, and we think there will always be some affixes and skills that are better in one more or the other. But, at the moment, the degree of advantage seems like too much of a swing (I imagine a lot of players would agree). We've been discussing possible solutions for how we can bring LoK/Archon/etc into better balance between the two game types, but haven't settled on the best course of action just yet. This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

simple. Deal x% (maybe something like 10%) of the damage and get the benefit of the on kill trigger no matter who kills them. This would have the same effect in solo and and in co-op be more beneficial. Also forces people to actually deal damage to gain the benefit and not just sit back and leech it.

Don't make it pickup radius dependent because a skill like archon you would be forced to stack pickup radius to make it viable in co-op which makes no sense.
Edited by kilo#1474 on 11/20/2012 2:07 AM PST
Reply Quote
Totally impressed blue didn't say the, oh so common recently, "that's nice, how would YOU fix it?"
Reply Quote
The Archon prob is easy: Just add 1 sec to the duration for each kill made by any player in a certain range from you.
Reply Quote
so many retarded posts and solutions...

if you deal dmg to a monster you should be qualified to recieve LOK or archon sec.
Reply Quote
I always feel a little guilty when I play with a friend running Archon. I'll end up not attacking low health packs at all to ensure they get their Archon buff longer, but short of not attacking at all it's almost impossible to prevent landing KBs.

if you deal dmg to a monster you should be qualified to recieve LOK or archon sec.

This, at minimum, and certainly for LoK.

The Archon prob is easy: Just add 1 sec to the duration for each kill made by any player in a certain range from you.

This, preferably, for Archon. They're there, they're participating. And if for some reason they're not, it's not like that Archon buff is doing anything if the player isn't. If I one-shot a spider before my brother has a chance, he should have his Archon extended.
Reply Quote

Please also consider improving Thorn. Thorn damage does not scale well with MP, specially WD's Fierce Loyalty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]