Diablo® III

life on kill question on weapon

11/20/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Lylirra
Please also consider improving Thorn.

Thorns is another affix we feel leaves a lot to be desired -- not just in co-op games, but in solo games too. It's not a bad stat, per se, and there are many builds that can benefit from it, but it definitely needs some tuning before it can really be considered competitive. We don't have anything planned for the short term, but for the long term we've considered various improvements and tweaks like allowing thorns to benefit from primary stats, building in additional passive support, as well as having one of the gem bonuses give a boost to that style of damage. (We've also tossed around the idea of adding another affix that's very similar to thorns, but has a much more universal function and would be able to benefit all classes [i.e. ranged + melee damage] without the need for passive skill support.)

Please also consider improving bleed damage.
Reply Quote
LOK is actually awesome if you are steam rolling. It's only drawback is it does not help you tank elites.... or does it? LOK keeps me at full hp in MP7 and below as long as there are some mobs around (which arent very hard to find,) you just have to play smart and use whats at your disposal and in combination with some LOH and some LS - you are basically indestructable for a much smaller price than LOH. In fact in most cases for free - your average idiot values LOK as a wasted stat. While it is clearly less valueable in fighting ubers and in PVP will be 100% useless - it's value in farming is basically equal to LOH considering you tpyically get about 5x more LOK per roll as LOH. It's a no brainer to figure out if it takes less than 5 hits to kill something you are winning out with LOK. You also get your life from LOK at the end of attacking something a few times or several times - just hopefully before you aren't dead - thats where skill comes in. It's ony improvement or change should be a simple in multi player settings - make LOK work not only off killing blows. Perhaps if you fear it becoming overpowered in group settings - (which is insane because LOH gives you far more life vs enemies that take 30-50 hits to kill at high MP) have the total hp gains for LOK divide by the number of players to keep things simple.
Reply Quote
11/20/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Drayven
Turn Thorn Damage into Reflect Damage.

While this would be nice in that all classes could benefit from it (even ranged classes, which attempt to stay away from melee range.)

However, the amount of damage that monsters do wouldn't make this viable, if it worked the same for PCs as it did for monsters. Perhaps if the stat was "+% of damage is reflected" so you could stack it...I could see people taking advantage of this depending on how high the values went, to create characters strictly based on returning damage...that's not entirely undesirable, though.
Reply Quote
No, you don't receive a return in HP.

On a larger scale, this is something we've been talking about how to improve. We definitely realize the way Life on Kill works right now isn't very co-op friendly. When you're playing with a group of people and sharing your killing blows, the affix just doesn't have as much value as it does in solo games, and that can be a really poor user experience. We also recognize the same applies to various skills, such as the wizard's Archon ability.

We still want players to feel like they can gear/build their characters differently for solo vs. co-op, and we think there will always be some affixes and skills that are better in one mode or the other. That's not going to change. But, at the moment, the degree of advantage seems like too much of a swing (I imagine a lot of players would agree).

We've been discussing possible solutions for how we can bring LoK/Archon/etc into better balance between the two game types -- without just outright homogenizing everything -- but haven't settled on the best course of action just yet. This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

I've been getting into co-op play with my archon more, and it's frustrating enough to make me search for other builds, which is unfortunate because wizards do not have a lot of strong builds. Between MP6 solo, MP5 with two players, and MP4 with three players, it's the latter that is the most tedious and frustrating for archon. It shouldn't be that way. Mob health stays roughly the same with those difficulties, mob damage goes down, but the ability to maintain archon decreases drastically with equally-geared players.

Perhaps something similar to how Grave Injustice functions for witch doctors, but less reliant on pickup radius on gear. Give archons an extension on the timer if a mob dies within 30 yards + pickup radius on gear.
Reply Quote
11/19/2012 06:35 PMPosted by Lylirra
if i dmg a mob but my party member kills him instead, do i get the full percent HP return, a partial return based on dmg done, or no return in HP?

No, you don't receive a return in HP.

On a larger scale, this is something we've been talking about how to improve. We definitely realize the way Life on Kill works right now isn't very co-op friendly. When you're playing with a group of people and sharing your killing blows, the affix just doesn't have as much value as it does in solo games, and that can be a really poor user experience. We also recognize the same applies to various skills, such as the wizard's Archon ability.

We still want players to feel like they can gear/build their characters differently for solo vs. co-op, and we think there will always be some affixes and skills that are better in one mode or the other. That's not going to change. But, at the moment, the degree of advantage seems like too much of a swing (I imagine a lot of players would agree).

We've been discussing possible solutions for how we can bring LoK/Archon/etc into better balance between the two game types -- without just outright homogenizing everything -- but haven't settled on the best course of action just yet. This issue is absolutely on our radar, though, and we're certainly open to your feedback in the meantime.

Simple. allow the bonus' to activate upon your party killing, but at a slightly reduced amount.
50-60 percent of the bonus? so that those who can kill fast enough are rewarded and those who can not don't fully lose out and become a trampled grave...

in the situation of Archon, give them a half second apposed to the full second. Special focus should be made to make sure that the parties critical attacks do not trigger Critical mass in anyway.
Reply Quote
As a WD I think health globes should be taken into account. They drop at fixed percent monster life and don't scale with mp. As a result WD's Gruesome Feast shines on low mp, but gets worse as monster health increases.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]