Diablo® III

(Almost) Everything You Should Know about DPS

Is there a quick rule/formula that lets you calculate the dps between different stat gain?

i.e. 10% CD = ??? Dex = ??? CC = ??? AS = ??? Avg Dam

I know that each stat gain scales with your existing number, but there should be some general formula that should work, plus/minus some margin of error?
Reply Quote
use d3up.com
Reply Quote
also try..

http://www.bios-gaming.de/d3dps/

just import yr hero then flip to extended information..

there is a nice graphical display too :P
Reply Quote
@HachiKumo: Yeah, I could do that. Gives me an excuse to come back to this thread and update it, which I've been meaning to do. I'm a fairly busy guy, though, so this might have to wait a bit while I work on other things.

@Elcarim: Those sites will work, as will the draft of my spreadsheet, which I'll make available as soon as I code a 1.0.7 comparison section. Should be ready by tomorrow.
Reply Quote
Nice info package, I remember how non sensible it was when it came out to min damage +1. Some good coding there I guess!
Reply Quote
I came here from another thread. I wish I'd seen this before I figured most of it out on my own. Seperating out the black damage from the elemetal was my 'ah ha' moment.

I did not know about the raw API feed before Vrkhyz#1472 told us about it in the other thread.

Question: Vrkhyz, have you composed a web doc/page or spreadsheet incorporating all of this information?
Reply Quote

Question: Vrkhyz, have you composed a web doc/page or spreadsheet incorporating all of this information?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7415156516
Edited by Lightdemon#1672 on 1/18/2013 7:30 PM PST
Reply Quote
Cool, but I was looking for a link to the actual document itself not just images. :)

Meh, I'd probably just redo it all 'my way' anyway. :)
Reply Quote
Cool, but I was looking for a link to the actual document itself not just images. :)

Meh, I'd probably just redo it all 'my way' anyway. :)

The finished product is not out yet. I suspect Vrk is working out the new numbers for 1.07.
Reply Quote

Attack speed: The attack speed for the Echoing Fury is 1.20 for the base speed plus 0.22 (weapon modifier) plus 0.03 (Focused Mind), or 1.45. This figure is multiplied by 1.31 (7% and 9% IAS bonuses on gear, plus the 15% dual-wielding bonus) to produce a final attack speed of 1.8995, or one attack every 0.52645 seconds. The attack speed for the Burning Axe is 1.30 (base speed) plus 0.22 (from the Echoing Fury) plus 0.03 (Focused Mind), or 1.55. This figure is multiplied by 1.31 to produce a final attack speed of 2.0305, or one attack every 0.49249 seconds. The average time per attack is thus 0.52645 plus 0.49249 divided by 2, or 0.50947, so the average attack speed is 1 divided by 0.50947, or 1.96281666…

The final paper DPS is thus:

789.3806 (damage per hit)
x 1.96281666 (average attacks per second)
= 1,549.4094
x 14.89 (1389 DEX)
= 23,070.705858
x 1.17325 (1 + 0.225 CHC x 0.77 CHD)
= 27,067.7056

This rounds to 27,067.71, which is different from my in-game paper DPS of 27,067.70 by 0.01. Sue me.

Can you help me clarify

So for example if I currently have an EF (1000dps) and dagger (1000dps) equipped
The limiting factor is the attack speed of my EF
Therefore the dagger actually contributes to less then its stated 1000dps

Therefore a 1000dps mace would actually increase my overall dps compared to the 1000dps dagger?
As it would have the same attack speed as the EF
Edited by blurrycloud#6374 on 1/19/2013 10:01 AM PST
Reply Quote

Can you help me clarify

So for example if I currently have an EF (1000dps) and dagger (1000dps) equipped
The limiting factor is the attack speed of my EF
Therefore the dagger actually contributes to less then its stated 1000dps

Therefore a 1000dps mace would actually increase my overall dps compared to the 1000dps dagger?
As it would have the same attack speed as the EF

I assume your asking about the +0.2x attacks per second? If I'm not mistaken, this is how it works:

The EF +0.2x attacks per second adds directly to your attack speed shown in your character sheet when you click on details after opening inventory. This means that it increases your overall attack speed (like a ring with increase attack speed). On the other hand, if a dagger had increase attack speed, resulting in a 1.55 description on the dagger itself, the increase is limited to the dagger only. It does not add to your overall attack speed.

Hope that helps!
Edited by Lightdemon#1672 on 1/20/2013 8:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
The dagger actually contributes more than you see on paper, as would the mace. The EF's APS bonus shows up on the EF's tooltip but does not show up on your other weapon's tooltip.

Regarding the dagger and the mace, and which benefits more from your EF, the winner is "the slower weapon" if the tooltip DPS numbers are equal. To make the math easy, let's assume both weapons have 990 DPS. The dagger attacks 1.5 times per second, so it hits for 660 damage each time; the mace attacks 1.2 times per second, so it hits for 825 damage each time.

Let's increase each weapon's APS by 0.25 and see what happens:
  • Dagger: 660 x 1.75 = 1,155 DPS
  • Mace: 825 x 1.45 = 1,196.25 DPS

The mace would be better with the EF than the dagger would, but it's because a 0.25 APS bonus is worth more to the mace because of its lower APS. How much more?

Dagger: 1.75 ÷ 1.5 = 1.1666
Mace: 1.45 ÷ 1.2 = 1.2083

BTW, multiplying those numbers by 1,000 will give you the expected DPS numbers for each item if you paired a 1K DPS item with the EF. These numbers will not show up on your tooltip.
Reply Quote
hi Vrkhyz

you helped me last week with a comparison of eDPS for 1.0.5 vs 1.0.7 using BF , DR foresight & 2x combo strike..

this weekend i was playing with WohF blazing fists for the DR..

i much prefer this setup for several reasons, including cold snares from soj on highest mp's..

could you please help me with another comparison.. i would like to see how this skill match up against deadly reach and how much there is change in eDPS in comming patch.

lets use the same stats from the other day..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593742451?page=3

you concluded that using DR reach foresight:

my 1.0.5 eDPS is 1,580,784.66
my PTR eDPS is 1,464,541 (-7.35%)

i expect that using blazing fists will give me marginally lower dps, but the % lost in next patch will be slightly higher.

very interested
Edited by juniorRC#2189 on 1/22/2013 3:20 AM PST
Reply Quote
See me in-game for a copy of my spreadsheet.
Reply Quote
Your calculation of EF from the first post is wrong. You're missing the bug black weapons have that has been talked about lately.

EF is a base 62 mace with a base damage of ~ 160-296. Crag Hammer ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/mace-1h/#page=2 )

Min = (160+284) * 1.4 = 621.6
Max = (160+284+1+152) * 1.4 = 835.8
Avg = 728.7
Dps = 728.7 / 1.42 = 1034.75

^ bugged max as 160+284 is used instead of 296 since 160+284 > 296.

It's complicated. But you notice it didn't happen to your Shenlong calc since it was elemental and the bugged max didn't proc. (and your calculated base matches the heaven hand base range )
Edited by Davlok#1847 on 1/22/2013 5:09 AM PST
Reply Quote
And multiplying both numbers by 1.4 (1 plus 40%) produces the weapon’s real damage range:621.6–835.8

The exact steps may be different, but I already said the exact thing you're saying here. Can you explain what's wrong, exactly?
Reply Quote
lets use the same stats from the other day..
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/7593742451?page=3

you concluded that using DR reach foresight:

my 1.0.5 eDPS is 1,580,784.66
my PTR eDPS is 1,464,541 (-7.35%)

i expect that using blazing fists will give me marginally lower dps, but the % lost in next patch will be slightly higher.

Just remembered that I saved your spreadsheet numbers, so adjusting them wasn't a big deal. If I give you three stacks of Blazing Fists at +0.05 APS per stack, your IAS-adjusted APS climbs from 2.5654 to 2.8043, but your additive buffs drop from 82% to 64%. The resut?

PTR EDPS: 1,442,561.32 (-8.74%)

If attack speed provides a better proc outcome, I'd say you're better off with Blazing Fists. Note, however, that you're probably losing a little more than this because you have to cycle BF in much more often than you do DR.

Give it a spin on the PTR, see how it works.
Reply Quote
Oooo this now has PTR data? Or was it just disabling certain buffs while adjusting the SW modifiers to spoof what the result is on PTR?

I'd perhaps want to see what occurs with PTR data just to have a relative idea of expectations.
Reply Quote
Oooo this now has PTR data? Or was it just disabling certain buffs while adjusting the SW modifiers to spoof what the result is on PTR?

I'd perhaps want to see what occurs with PTR data just to have a relative idea of expectations.

It now has PTR data, yes. I need to add back the 1.0.6 comparison column (which I morphed into PTR because I was tired of calculating it by hand). If I weren't off to my second poker game of the week tonight and prepping for my annual review tomorrow, I'd have released it by now. As it stands, I should have it ready some time this weekend. I've even written a half-decent set of instructions for using it.
Reply Quote
Hey Vrkhyz.

Great thread, intelligently written, nicely calculated and 100% digestable. Props to you sir!

I stumbled across this thread when trying to fully analyse the possible benefits of the Won Khim Lau. Unless I inadvertantly missed something, I didn't notice anything referring to 'Elemental Type' Skills Deal X-X% More Damage.

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/item/won-khim-lau

My only understanding is that 'paper DPS' is not affected by said affix; however 'true DPS' is.

Any formulaic advice? Appreciate you probably didn't bargain on such a tirade of questions when you set out to write such an intuitive DPS thread!!!

Thanks if possible, thanks if not.

:)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]