Diablo® III

I'm sad about MP now

there are people with 450k base dps, they can tear through mp6+ like most people do mp1. Quit whining and get better gear so you can move up, at a point your dps will become overkill and moving up will be the smart move.
the rewards are magic find.

what everyone doesn't seem to understand....

lets say you equip your toon with magic find gear. naturally their DPS drops and farming MP0 takes say 30 mins a run.

Now when high DPS gear, and the equivalent in MF based on MP, the same run should take 30 mins.

its a time based thing, hence the monster health. and to me... that was the entire point delivery by the developers.
11/15/2012 10:07 AMPosted by bonerown
there are people with 450k base dps, they can tear through mp6+ like most people do mp1. Quit whining and get better gear so you can move up, at a point your dps will become overkill and moving up will be the smart move.

sure, but there are also ppl with max magic find gear that tear up MP0 (based on lower DPS).
so whats better?

max magic find is whats "better". however you decide to achieve it is up to you... untill you paragon 100.
This is a great thread...
I have tested the various MP levels and have found speed runs to be the most rewarding.
My group can do MP10, however even with my dps and my CM wizzy of 0ver 400 plus, we too are slowed down quit a bit in MP-9-10

we do a consistant MP8, but i have found even MP3-6 are great as far as finding legs and collect more gold.

Ubbers for Hellrings are not worth is for me, I find the hell rings boring and uninteresting.
Ubbers to be done right have to be MP9-10....its a grind for the payback you get.

Blizzard, though I appreciate the concept and variation and challenge the UBBERS bring, there must be more content to this game, and PVP must happen sooner then later in order to keep people around

just sayin....good luck hunting all.
Let's keep in mind that Blizz *CLEARLY* states they don't want MP10 to feel necessary. They want you to be able to choose your difficulty without feeling like you *have* to play a higher difficulty to get good loot. That's exactly what MP does.

Frankly, most people who called for more difficulty after Inferno nerfs said they didn't need better loot, just more challenge. Now the same people have the option to play a harder game just like they wanted, but they scoff because they aren't finding legendaries every other pack on MP10.

Boosting MP rewards makes it more and more mandatory to play higher MP levels, when I think a lot of the player base likes being able to run MP1 and still feel like they can get drops.

I run MP1 when I want to blow through content and farm XP/gold/items. When I key farm I do MP5-6 because I have a better opportunity. Same with ubers. If I had higher DPS I would farm MP2-3 instead. However, I will never expect to be able to breeze through MP10, farming as efficiently as I could in lower MP levels. That's not the point behind MP10.

To sum up, MP wasn't designed to be a system that provides you uber-loot for doing higher MP levels. It was designed to give players a difficult challenge WITHOUT making it mandatory for others who like it a bit easier. Right now I feel it does that wonderfully.

Blizzard, please don't change the MP system!
AMEN...finally somebody gets it, speed is the key!!!
i like the mob density idea
Now let me get this straight, there is a lack of end game because you haven't even reached it yet?

I bet, if you were actually farming efficiently in MP10 you would then complain about the lack of end game because the patch didn't even introduce a challenge.

So for me, I'm gonna continue to struggle through MP4 with my crappy, 30 hours played, 1000, count em 1000 elite kills, GAH using, never found anything worth putting on the AH, inefficent cause thats how i roll, witch doctor and I'm actually going to have fun.

Of course thats if I have time.
the rewards are magic find.

what everyone doesn't seem to understand....

lets say you equip your toon with magic find gear. naturally their DPS drops and farming MP0 takes say 30 mins a run.

Now when high DPS gear, and the equivalent in MF based on MP, the same run should take 30 mins.

its a time based thing, hence the monster health. and to me... that was the entire point delivery by the developers.

I believe everyone that's posted in this thread understand the bonus of Magic Find. But you can test this for yourself over the course of a few days: play MP0 with 100-200 magic find in act 3 and tally up your legendary drops. Now play the same amount of time with 400-500 MF on high monster power settings and tally up your legendary drops. There's some wiggle room afforded by RNG, but it becomes apparent quite rapidly how much better killing 10000 enemies with 100-200 MF is than killing 1-3,000 enemies with 400-500 MF.

It's silly when people disagree on things with a game and resort to telling "everyone" else they don't get it, especially when it's apparent most people contributing understand what they're talking about. This specific topic is a very basic issue that's not beyond anyone's comprehension on this board and there's no need to pretend it's rocket science!
I farm mp6-7 ezer than any other mp and drops r no better than mp0-5 exp is alot better on mp6 i can get 1-3 lvls depends on how much i play at most 4hrs a day at p30+
My monk kills Elites in the same time frame on MP0 as MP1 (under 2 seconds with SSS burst) even with a full party.

Mp1 feels the most efficient on my monk.

My barb however generates almost no fury if the mobs die in 1 tornado tick (I get almost no fury per trash mob on mp0-2).

I'm finding my Mp2 runs to be near the same speed as my mp1 runs, but I don't feel starved for Fury and I don't have to use Unforgiving (I can use Boon for more super saiyan/speed, which *should lower my run time total. haven't tried yet)

MP0 farming on act3 is really only for people that don't do much damage. If you hit a certain threshold of dps and kill time, then mp1-3 becomes more efficient in most regards.

Consider MP "Farming" as a gear check system. Similar to Old Inferno, if you couldn't farm Act3, but you could progress through it you just farmed Act1. If you are progressing through MP6 you should just farm MP1-2.

I'm sure Acrimony (I summon thee to this thread) doesn't farm very well on mp0-1 due to fury generation issues unless he changes passives, but can kill Elites on much higher MP in comparison to what most do on mp1-3.
My monk kills Elites in the same time frame on MP0 as MP1 (under 2 seconds with SSS burst) even with a full party.

My barb however generates almost no fury if the mobs die in 1 tornado tick (I get almost no fury per trash mob on mp0-2).

I'm finding my Mp2 runs to be near the same speed as my mp1 runs, but I don't feel starved for Fury and I don't have to use Unforgiving (I can use Boon for more super saiyan/speed, which *should lower my run time total. haven't tried yet)

MP0 farming on act3 is really only for people that don't do much damage. If you hit a certain threshold of dps and kill time, then mp1-3 becomes more efficient in most regards.

Consider MP "Farming" as a gear check system. Similar to Old Inferno, if you couldn't farm Act3, but you could progress through it you just farmed Act1. If you are progressing through MP6 you should just farm MP1-2.

I'm sure Acrimony (I summon thee to this thread) doesn't farm very well on mp0-1 due to fury generation issues unless he changes passives, but can kill Elites on much higher MP in comparison to what most do on mp1-3.

Yeah, fury generation is a problem for me unless I use the full IK set and the passive that increases fury generation. I've given up farming for exp and play between mp3-mp5 because of the fury issue and wanting to get an ok chance at key drops while not completely hampering my kill rate like MP8-10. But every now and then I'll dial it down to MP1 to get some exp grinding in.
It all depends on your dps. If you 1 shot monsters on mp3 what is the point of going down to lower mp?
The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

Players are not "forced" to play any specific MP level as long as the rewards are proportional to the effort. For example, MP10 monsters have 34 times more HP so generally it takes a player 34 times longer to kill it (if he or she survives:P), but there is no way that player can get 34 times exp and loot for the same amount of time spent. If you can scale the exp and loot bonus proportionally to the difficulty, players can choose whatever MP level that they deem "challenging" without feeling they lose something from that choice.
A few options would be, maybe have some legendary items that are comparable to current or just a little better drop only at certain MP levels.

Add a hellfire ring components sections where you can farm parts to add to the crafting of the ring where you can pick more than just the base stat, a part that gives you Crit chance for example bw 4-6; that can only be in MP 5 or higher, doesn't matter.

If you increase mob density, which would be nice, don't do it to Act 3, since everyone will just keep farming act 3, make the other acts similar to the act 3 density.

Add a few side quests to the MP levels maybe.

As for people feeling they have to farm MP's, anything you add will make some people feel that way, I just wouldn't worry about that, let them have something to strive towards if anything.

Scale bonuses to match the growing HP of the monster levels as well.
Edited by Liakos#1816 on 11/15/2012 11:44 AM PST
11/15/2012 10:12 AMPosted by hmk21

sure, but there are also ppl with max magic find gear that tear up MP0 (based on lower DPS).
so whats better?

max magic find is whats "better". however you decide to achieve it is up to you... untill you paragon 100.

What's better is to take off MF gear as you gain paragon levels, and move up in MP levels.

Furthermore, even people with "full" MF gear my find that if their gear is good enough, they can tear through lower MP levels as easily as they can tear through MP0.

The whole point of MP is that you can find a sweet spot that's right for you. Chances are that MP10 is not the sweet spot for anyone who isn't killing ubers, but that just means that there is definitely a sweet spot some where in the range from 0 to 10.

This is the beautiful thing about MP-- it allows you to play the way you want to.
The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

Players are not "forced" to play any specific MP level as long as the rewards are proportional to the effort. For example, MP10 monsters have 34 times more HP so generally it takes a player 34 times longer to kill it (if he or she survives:P), but there is no way that player can get 34 times exp and loot for the same amount of time spent. If you can scale the exp and loot bonus proportionally to the difficulty, players can choose whatever MP level that they deem "challenging" without feeling they lose something from that choice.

MP10 is not really meant to be an efficient place to farm with current gear. However, the option exists if you want it.

Also keep in mind that quite a few people can simply one shot mobs in middle MP levels, so for them, MP10 isn't really 34 times as time consuming, because they kill MP5 mobs about as quickly as they kill MP0 mobs. Also, a lot of farming downtime isn't based on how long it takes to kill but how long it takes to get to the next pack. Hence the superiority of Barbs to some other classes and the desire from many players to see higher mob density in the game.

But again, the answer is quite simple: if MP10 doesn't provide rewards that justify the difficulty then don't run MP10. Same for any other MP level. MP0 is inefficient for me compared to MP2-MP6 (depends on the character I'm playing) so I don't run MP0, nor do I run MP7+ unless I'm doing ubers with friends.

I have no idea why my name was brought up. I searched for my name and found this post.
Monster power is broken imo. Mobs health too high and damage too low. If I can survive the damage of a mp10 mob why should I have to sit there for 10mins spamming the same attack? So boring!! Upping dps another 10k - 20k does not make much difference, you have to have approx 300k dps if you want to make mp10 viable and even then it's still a grind.

Make damage higher and make mob HP scale less at MP6 and up.

Also I find more legendaries with better affixes at mp1 than I do at mp5. I have exactly 400%MF with my merc at MP5 and it makes no difference!! Infact longer runs with less loot = frustrating as hell! MF seems like the most useless component of this whole game! Every 50- 100% more MF there should be some noticeable difference.

I stopped bothering with MF before patch 1.0.5, the only reason I have any MF at all is because of paragon and a couple of bits of essential gear that rolled MF and obviously the mp lvl.

Yes that is truth .
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]