Diablo® III

I'm sad about MP now

The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

MP Changes that I'd like to see:
-> Greater XP rewards per MP LV. When you get past Paragon LV 20ish, you are basically required to be doing a minimum of MP2 or 3 just to make decent XP per hour.
-> Much higher chance for Keys to drop. Without MP you will never see a key drop. At MP1, you rarely see keys drop. I'm not talking about organ drops, just key drops here. Make keys drop more often! Basically as it stands if you want to participate in the Infernal Machine, you basically have to play at MP5+ in order to get the bloody keys to drop.
-> Higher chance for blacksmith and jeweler plans to drop per MP. I've found a bunch of them, that I've used, but still most of the good plans never seem to drop... at least no one I know has had one drop.
-> Reduced Monster HP per MP (at MP5+ killing normal enemies takes a while; elites take even longer), but to offset this, increase monster and/or elite density in each act.
-> Remove ILV58, and 59 items and white (rarity) items when using MP1 or higher. Only ILV 60, 61, 62, and 63 items will drop.
-> Remove blue (rarity) and ILV60 items when using MP4 or higher (I don't even bother picking up blues anymore as they will never sell on the AH). Only ILV 61, 62, and 63 items drop.
-> Remove ILV61 items when using MP7 or higher. Only ILV62 and ILV63 items drop.
-> Remove ILV62 items when using MP9 or higher. Only ILV63 items drop.
I think there's actually a really good incentive to farm the higher MPs: keys. I want a good hellfire ring so I feel justified playing on MP6 even though it's not the most efficient. The trouble I think is that once I have a good hellfire ring, I will probably switch to MP0 permanently.

It would be cool if there were more things to accomplish on the higher MP levels besides the keywardens and ubers. It doesn't have to be even more MF and exp, it could be more unique quests/account bound items or even vanity items or dyes. I actually really like the MP0 for farm, MP6+ for fun dynamic.
The goal of Monster Power is to give players the ability to scale up how challenging enemies are in each difficulty and, in return, get some pretty cool bonuses to adventure stats as well as the opportunity to earn bonus items. Different players have different play styles, though, so we added 10 power settings so you could decide what challenge level is best for you. For some, MP5 might be best. For others, MP1 or MP2 feels right. If you’ve got a lot of supporting gear, maybe MP7 or MP8 is your so-called “sweet spot.”

What we didn’t want to do, however, is make players feel like they absolutely needed to play at the higher MP levels in order to get the best rewards. This is one of reasons that we didn’t add in Achievements for Monster Power, too. We wanted the primary motivation to be the challenge and finding a level that you enjoy. I gather from your post that you feel the bonuses given for challenging yourself aren’t really worth the effort, but my question is what would you change about it? (Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

im one of the ppl doing the math for fast exp and a good rule of thumb to maximize xp is to do MP level that u can 1 shot 90% of non elete mobs also takeing into acount being able to deal with reflect damage when it arises. Both MP and NV xp bonuses are inuficent to make doing most of the game worthwhile if u wish to power level. best methods often include start broken blade quest goto crypt of ancients clear restart clear restart (since spawn spot is right inside crypt door) or my favorate keep depths 2. these are the most densly populated areas of the game as far as mobs go AND I WILL SAY DO NOT DECREASE THE POPULATION THERE (if a blue is reading this) but increase densitie in othher areas.

my sugestion would be to tweek exp gain upwards with mp level so that it better keeps pace with the reduced monster kill speed (this also sugests that nv could use tweeking as well since u are far better off reseting the game in a dense area then moveing onto a new area to keep any such stacks) i would sugest no more inceases in drop rates of any kind legondaries already drop like candy and nothing has any trade value anymore unless u roll perfect stats on an item. as such i cannot even get anything off the ah anymore because nothing sells anymore and i WILL NOT buy gold wich is what bliz and the farmers want of all players i will quit the game first. i would sugest that there be more uses for brimstone i currently have fast growing piles of the dam things and i would like to be able to add sockets with them or something even if it takes 100 brimstones to add 1 affix upgrade or socket to an item it would be worth it
My farming is still at MP1. MP3/5 for key farming. Just keep to whichever MP that you are comfortable with.

Try to make more fun out of the game and not to depress you more. The very basis foundation of gaming is to have fun. It all depends on you how to fully utilize 'fun' from the game.

Of course fun is very subjective to everybody. For me MP1 give me more fun than MP5
Well I for one would like the monsters HPs to be lowered as others have said, mob density sounds cool, but I'd like to see this in addition to those ideas.

Affixes for all mobs, and more affixes for elites / champs for 5 on up. Here is how the bonuses for mp to mobs would look:

MP 1-4: No changes.
MP5: Chance for 1 affix per all monsters. Chance for an additional offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 600% approx, and damage same as now.
MP6: 1 affix per all monsters. Only an additional offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 700% approx, and damage about 5% more than now.
MP7: 1 affix per all monsters. Only an additional offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 850% approx, and damage about 10% more than now.
MP8: 2 affix per all monsters. An additional defensive and offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 1100% approx, and damage about 15% more than now.
MP9: 2 affix per all monsters. An additional defensive and offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 1300% approx, and damage about 20% more than now.
MP10: 3 affix per all monsters. An additional strong cc, defensive, and offensive affix possible for elites / champs. Monster HP 1600% approx, and damage about 25% more than now.

Now the other thing to make this worth the extra difficulty NV at 5 stacks would have a chance for an extra item to drop from champs / elites, along with XP, GF, and MF changed.

MP 1-3: No change.
MP 4: +45% XP, +105% MF & GF, 26% chance for bonus item from trash mobs. 3% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 5: +60% XP, +135% MF & GF, 40% chance for bonus item from trash mobs. 11% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 6: +85% XP, +165% MF & GF, 65% chance for bonus item from trash mobs. 25% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 7: +110% XP, +200% MF & GF, 95% chance for bonus item from trash mobs. 40% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 8: +140% XP, +235% MF & GF, 1 bonus item from trash mobs with a 30% chance for an additional item. 56% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 9: +180% XP, +280% MF & GF, 1 bonus item from trash mobs with a 60% chance for an additional item. 78% chance to get an extra item from NV 5 stacks.
MP 10 +230% XP, +340% MF & GF, 2 bonus items from trash mobs. 1 extra item from NV 5 stacks.

EDIT:
As I think of it mob density needs to be increased anyway rather than be tied to MP.
Edited by Rathul#1268 on 11/14/2012 5:33 PM PST
Every 4 MPs, the mobs gain more ability. So at least they're a challenge and not HP sponges. Lower their HP a bit at MP10, but make them more powerful. Not in terms of damage, maybe just give a random white mob a boss ability every few steps. Variety is there, and people have to be on their toes at MP8 because you never know which white mob will have that god awful arcane spell or molten.

Champions will gain an extra ability at MP4, 2 at MP8. Does that sound ridiculous? Yes. Does it sound like I'm going to smash my head against a brick wall? Yes. As long as return damage doesn't exist, it will still be fun even for glass cannons for 6 affix champion.

if what you say is the case then why do you have to play MP5+ to have even a semi-decent chance at gettin infernal machine parts and organ drops off of bosses. yet again a blizzard employee says contradicts themselves. NOT EVERYONE BUYS OFF THE RMAH ;therefore playing MP5-10 is not plausible for many players and therefore getting such things a hellfire ring is not possible. Ive played more than 300hours and ive never found a single damn decent item. Where did i find all m y upgrades? The GOLD auction house.....fricking amazing right? what an awesome loot system we got here. Its so damn random you dont find crap in 300+hours.PLAYERS ARE FORCED INTO USING MP AT HIGHER LEVELS YOUR STATEMENT IS COMPLETELY CONTRADICTORY.
ppl should just shut up and stop complaining about MP's incentives.

Not like Blizzard is holding a gun on your head to force you to play MP10, just stick to whatever you can handle.

I bet these kids are gonna cry for MP20 if they can play in MP10 anw.
Ok, I would like to see MP levels changed majorly. Give up 100 MP levels, and make sure NO ONE with current uber BiS gear can get and survive solo MP 100. Every 10 MP levels mobs get an additional affix. In MP 50+ there is a chance to get a Positive Affix (see the myriad posts about these if you haven't already). MP 70+ 2 positive affixes possible. MP 90+ 3 possible (total of 14 possible affixes...YOUCH). In MP 100 guaranteed 2 positive affixes.

Also possible, in every 25th MP white mobs receive a single random affix. So in MP 100 you have white mobs with 4 affixes and elites have up to 13 Negative affixes and 2 Positive...

Make the difficulty more to do with movement and strategy and less to do with pure gear-check and numbers. If you were fighting a battle against something with 8 affixes and the white mobs around it each had 2 affixes...THAT would be EPIC.

Make MP possible in public games. You select MP and it pops-up an accept/decline message, "Are you up to the challenge of MPXX?" The game resets and you're in the new MP.

There are a million good changes that could be made...
What would I change about Monster Power?

That's simple, I'd bump up the rewards on the low end to where MP1 is the most efficient (or at least just as efficient as mp0) then keep the linear reward structure exactly how it is from that new baseline. This would still result in MP10 being far less rewarding than lower levels as the exponential health gain quickly outgrows the linear rewards, but at least the mid range areas would be rewarding and even 7 or 8 could potentially be run efficiently.

As it is, at MP1 efficiency drops to ~72% of MP0. At MP2 it's down to ~54%, and at MP3 it's at ~43%... By MP10 it's all the way down to 9.7%!!!

My efficiency formula is as follows:
(((MF+ExtraMF+MF)/MF)*(1+BonusDrops))/Monster HP

I assume max MF because after all, we are MFing here and max MF isn't very difficult to achieve with the paragon system and the gear available.

(((3.75+0.25)/3.75)*(1+0.01))/1.5
((4/3.75)*1.01)/1.5
(1.0667*1.01)/1.5
(1.0774)/1.5
Edited by Bobert13#1406 on 11/14/2012 5:16 PM PST
Just thought I would add my 2 pennies...

I'd have to say I disagree with OP.

I farm mp10 only now (wwbarb), I don't have issue at all with taking a bit longer to kill things, with 500%+ mf, 300% xp ... just takes some practice to get efficient runs down.

Don't give up just cause your first run wasn't stellar...

Survival first, then up dps. I got frustrated a few times but its paid off in the long run to work on a mp10 build/gear.

I find legs/sets every 15-30min I'd say. I spent plenty of time plowing mp0-5 and never came close to as many legs and sets as mp10.
Double the EXP bonus for each monster power level in inferno from what it currently is. MP0 is the best EXP/items for 99.9% of the playerbase right now despite the delusions of some people. You can push the button at Blizzard that runs the stat crunching machine and see for yourself, Grimiku.

This makes the MP system only useful for 0.1% of your playerbase after they've gotten an aight Hellfire Ring. Is that good design? I say no.

MP1: +20%
MP2: +40%
MP3: +60%
MP4: +90%
MP5: +120%
MP6: +150%
MP7: +170%
MP8: +230%
MP9: +270%
MP10: +320%

Compare the EXP bonuses to the +HP bonuses to monsters and you'll see that this is fair. It also fits in with the Blizzard business philosophy of "doubling it."
Yeah mp0 is absolute garbage for drops. I've finally been getting good drops for the first time since 1.04 at mp6-7 mf cap
Edited by Lanyx#1996 on 11/14/2012 5:09 PM PST
11/14/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
(Keeping in mind that we don’t want to force players into the higher MP levels.)

You realize the problem that more and more people are finding with MP is just the opposite. You'd rather not force people to do high MP, but you're just forcing them to do low MP levels to be efficient in every aspect.

How would I fix it? I don't know the only thing coming to mind would be increasing the positives(xp/mf/gf) of higher MP levels

A job well done IMO.
11/14/2012 04:33 PMPosted by Lastlaugh
Exactly its a shame that you do not get rewarded for challenging your self....

The reward IS the challenge.

Many people wanted a challenge... so Bliz supplied a challenge. You can farm recklessly in lower MPs... it's a personal opinion, but I think farming generally should NOT be challenging. They are totally different styles of play.

This... What happend to all those players saying they didint want blizz to nerf this game anymore and that they wanted a CHALLENGE? Like the above poster said the reward IS the challenge. If thats not good enough then farm lower lvl MP lvls. Its really THAT SIMPLE.
11/14/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Grimiku
but my question is what would you change about it?

First off, make the Hellfire Ring better.
Make the proc scale with the MPs so it isnt overpowered in low MPs, but just right in higher MPs.

Second, increase the Drops in higher MPs (6-10) by a LOT.
As you can see in your very own Poll, people avoiding MP6+ :
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7747195/Poll_What_Monster_Power_Level_Do_You_Prefer-11_6_2012
And thats not because People cant handle it.
Its because MP5-6 is the breaking Point (time / efficiency / reward).
The HP on the Champs increase exponentially while the reward (exp/mf/gf) does not.

11/14/2012 05:07 PMPosted by Lanyx
Yeah mp0 is absolute garbage for drops.

Actually its not.
Ive done lots of MP5-7 farming after 1.05 release.
Now i ended up like most people speed farming MP1...the drops are the same, the exp is incredible, and you dont need Gear worth 10 Billion Gold to farm it...actually, you can sell some good pieces of your own gear and replace it with lesser good Stuff, and MP1 still works just fine.
There is really no Point farming anything above MP0-2 once you got a good Hellfire Ring.
if you make mp10 attractive, then you are just making mp10 mandatory.

all of you who think higher mp should be more "rewarding" are just delusional. mp10 is for the people with so much surplus dps (740k dps) that they slice through mp10 like butter.

so if you say mp10 should be more rewarding, while you eke out a meagre existence such that doing mp10 slow, gives you the same rewards as mp1 fast (ie: you make strict scaling), then the top 50-100 players in the world that can do mp10 (ie: unbuffed dps 400k-600k) like butter will be even earning more disproportionately.

you will basically see the 1% grow far far more richer than now, they will deflate the prices of everything you can possibly find and sell as a matter of sheer quantity. you may end up finding the only weapons salable are 1h 1100 dps with 800 loh, lifesteal , cdmg and socket. so tell me now how many of those you find so far since d3 release?

those of you who are NOT in the top 1%, regardless of what changes you make to mp, you will find whatever advantage you think you grant yourself, you grant to the top 1% disproportionately more.

wealth begets opportunity and you are in actual fact, just putting more wealth into the top 1%.
Edited by chrisloup#6305 on 11/14/2012 5:59 PM PST
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]