Diablo® III

Blizzard, please stop deliberate disconnects.

(Locked)

After 30 minutes of inactivity, Blizzard deliberately disconnects the character from the server, making that character lose all progress in their single-player game.

If I must maintain an active connection in order to play, then won't you return the favor? Diablo 3's terms of usage made it quite clear that I paid for a service and not a product. Is this not the service I paid for?

More info can be found in the technical support thread here ( http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5890100171?page=1 ), but I will repost/summarize for those who don't want to wade through that. I was specifically asked to move the topic to GD by a Blue, so please don't lock this thread for being a cross-post.

I don't get randomly disconnected while I am playing or anything like that.

But, like most D1 and D2 fans, I am an adult and do have a life. So I step away from the computer to take care of stuff every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes I'm away from the computer for 30 minutes, and come back just in time to see that all my progress has been lost, and all my nephalem valor deleted, because Blizzard has deliberately disconnected me. Others have tested and confirmed that I am not alone.

Because I sometimes have to replay the same area three times as a result of being disconnected while I step away from my computer, it makes for a less-than-satisfying gaming experience, as I'm sure you can imagine.

Now, I'm sympathetic to the fact that Blizzard needs to conserve its server resources for those who are actively using them, but you know what? I paid for those resources too. And I didn't choose to have to be constantly online while playing the game, BLIZZARD did. And Blizzard forcing me to rush back to my computer periodically to make sure you aren't logging me out of my own single-player game kind of adds insult to injury, don't you think?

Might you consider increasing the length of time before I get automatically disconnected? It was 60 minutes+ in D2, if memory serves, and even longer in D1. Not to put too fine a point on it, this is in spite of the fact that those two games did NOT require an active connection to play. Nor were those games as profitable as D3. I don't want to sound obnoxious, but really--can't you take those zillions of dollars you keep bragging to your shareholders about and put it toward the server resources required to have a more reasonable timeout period? I mean, this isn't a huge thing I'm asking for, is it?

So let me repeat my request: If I must maintain an active connection in order to play, then won't you return the favor? Diablo 3's terms of usage made it quite clear that I paid for a service and not a product. Is this not the service I paid for?

By all means, correct me if I am mistaken.

February 26, 2013 Update (so you don't have to jump to page 6):

OK, Activision, you win. Since you didn't fix this problem in the latest patch, and since you are obviously aware of this thread (so much so that you felt it necessary to stealth-delete posts), your intention is 100% clear.

No one here can deny that Blizzard made more than enough money to support a reasonable timeout comparable to that of bnet D1 and D2. But, not so many posts have appeared in here lately, so perhaps people genuinely don't mind you disconnecting their single-player games after such a short time period.

I'll uninstall the game for now, and go play PoE. If you ever change your mind and decide to respect your players a bit more, I may come back. I'll post here and ask for an update on whether there are any changes after the next patch.

Until then.
Edited by Gibbousmoon#1396 on 2/26/2013 5:38 AM PST
Agree 10000%

In my opinion allowing me to pause the game and keep stacks would be the greatest improvement blizzard could do to the game.

I would like to also request to please give me a couple minutes 'grace' to log back in after client crashes so I get to keep my stacks.
11/14/2012 06:31 AMPosted by vexorian
I mean, really /thread.
GG troll.

Anyway, it's a question of balancing the resources.
The idea of having your game frozen in time when you get disconnected is not bad: you press "resume" and you are back in game while they get to free server resources for players actually in front of the screen.
Stacks shouldn't even have a timer to begin with. What is the point of it?
+1, I agree
I think they boot you after extended periods of inactivity because the server doesn't have unlimited resources and bandwidth to keep space open for your paused game while you're up flogging your dog or whatever it is you need to do for a half-hour in the middle of a gaming session.

For some reason, that made me literally burst out laughing.
I'm with OP. I'm a professional and have a family, so there are times when I may only get 20-30 minutes of game time before I have to step away to do something, help one of my kids, let the dog out, or sometimes even VPN into work to take a look at an issue (IT).

The 30 minute timeout wouldn't bother me at all if it actually was 30 minutes. My connection times out after about 10-15 minutes of being paused. The other night I had to run to the store for milk and bread and asked my wife to sit by the computer and click Resume Game then hit ESC to pause again so I wouldn't lose my progress and 5 stacks of NV. She didn't mind at all but I shouldn't have to ask her to do that.

The whole issue would disappear if Bliz made "offline" play available in Single User or LAN mode. It would do away with any disconnect issues from Bliz side or those with laggy internet, it would do away with the timeout and we could pause for hours if we liked.

They could still have the requirement to log in to Bnet to retrieve your data, but the game itself could be hosted on our machine if we choose to. The client can stay logged on for as long as you want if you are not in game anyway, so we would still be "logged in". Starcraft does it through Bnet with single user games, why can't Diablo?
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! A few thoughts:

@ODDBALL Thanks for the input, but this thread actually isn't about NV timers. It's about Blizzard deliberately (this is key, it's done *deliberately*) disconnecting users after 30 minutes. Some people get disconnected faster, but I'm fairly certain that the deliberate, official timeout is 30 minutes. A blue can correct me if I'm wrong, but look at the link in my OP to see what blues have already said.

@vexorian Unless you are able to build 5 stacks of NV in under 10 minutes, your comment adds nothing to the discussion. Forgive me for being blunt, but it's true.

@LordCaric I think that pushing for that will actually be counterproductive. Blizzard keeps all assets on its servers in order to prevent duping, which is a necessary prerequisite to its new business model including the auction house. People do plenty of (perhaps justifiable) complaining about that, but that's a topic for another thread. The reality of this will NEVER change, even if it were feasible from a coding point of view, so let's not bother begging for it.

The REAL issue is this:

1. Blizzard charged you $60 for an entry in its traditionally single-player series.
2. Blizzard forces you to stay online to play single player in this game.
3. Blizzard kicks you from the server if you take more than 30 minutes to, oh, for example, read through this exact thread? Killing all your progress. AFTER forcing you to stay online to play single-player.

3. Put another way, Blizzard forces you to babysit your computer to make sure you don't lose your NV, if you need to go afk. AFTER forcing you to stay online to play single-player.

Is it too much to ask for a 60-minute idle timeout? Is it really? I argue that it isn't, and I have backed that opinion up with facts. By all means, disagree with me, but do us all the courtesy of backing up your own opinion with facts.
Disconnected from a single player game, says it all.

Footprints in the sand..
We going to see this fixed?
Thanks for the feedback, everyone! A few thoughts:

@LordCaric I think that pushing for that will actually be counterproductive. Blizzard keeps all assets on its servers in order to prevent duping, which is a necessary prerequisite to its new business model including the auction house. People do plenty of (perhaps justifiable) complaining about that, but that's a topic for another thread. The reality of this will NEVER change, even if it were feasible from a coding point of view, so let's not bother begging for it.

The REAL issue is this:

1. Blizzard charged you $60 for an entry in its traditionally single-player series.
2. Blizzard forces you to stay online to play single player in this game.
3. Blizzard kicks you from the server if you take more than 30 minutes to, oh, for example, read through this exact thread? Killing all your progress. AFTER forcing you to stay online to play single-player.

3. Put another way, Blizzard forces you to babysit your computer to make sure you don't lose your NV, if you need to go afk. AFTER forcing you to stay online to play single-player.

Is it too much to ask for a 60-minute idle timeout? Is it really? I argue that it isn't, and I have backed that opinion up with facts. By all means, disagree with me, but do us all the courtesy of backing up your own opinion with facts.

It's definitely a long shot I agree but they could easily handle the issue of duping by checking any item put up for bid on the AH against the others for duplicates. If the item is a duplicate, you're not allowed to sell it on the AH.

I don't think it's too much to ask at all. It would be a fairly simple thing for them to do (I can change settings at work for almost any network connection). A 60-minute timeout wouldn't require any more resources being used than a 30-minute timeout as the game is already paused and only sending and receiving a minuscule amount of data at certain intervals as a "keep-alive". So whether its 30 mins or 60 mins, it would still be just a ping every 5 mins for example to let the server track you. You may actually find that performance overall improves because people might take that entire hour to be AFK, freeing up a half hour of time and server resources, essentially.
@LordCaric

Thanks for the info! If what you say is true about server resources not being taxed by a more reasonable timeout, then our objection is even further underscored.

My original point was that, even if it requires more server resources (and money), of course they should do it, because we paid for it. Look at http://investor.activision.com/ to see them bragging about their gigantic profits this quarter.

It's all about context.

After all the negative publicity about online-only single-player games, many of us took a leap of faith in Blizzard and bought the game anyway.

Blizzard responding to that faith by kicking us out of our own single-player gaming session (at all, let alone after such a tiny idle period) is a

slap

in

the

face.
<
Good you bumped it. Here's another +1

Maintaining a connection to a PAUSED game shouldn't cost much as LordCaric already described.

It doesn't happen often for me, but once in a while, somebody calls me, have a 40 or 50 minute talk (way too long for my taste, but hey, somebody has to listen...) anyway, connection lost.

Or the neighbour calls if I can help him with his laptop.
"Yeah ok", "some coffee?", "sure..", "ok thanks for the help", "yeah, no problem"...
...back! Oh, connection lost again.

Just two examples.
But those things happen.

The thing is, it DOESN'T happen when you do NOT pause the game!
But then you loose your NV stacks.

Don't know what the reason for this decision is, it sure sounds silly to me.
Edited by Sjippie#1970 on 11/17/2012 5:26 PM PST
What do you mean loose your progress? Face smash the entire act in about 30 minutes, adjusting the mp to appropriate level. loose progress,...
Totally agree I've found myself annoyed by this a few times just never though about mentioning it because of the other hundreds of problems in the game.
It's a game designed around forced addiction. If you aren't hardcore enough to stay at your seat 24/7 they don't need you because they know you aren't pumping the AH for them either.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]