Diablo® III

Blizzard, please stop deliberate disconnects.

(Locked)

11/20/2012 12:05 PMPosted by Ranker
Wanna know why he is taking up resources? Its because blizz forced him to when they FORCED him to play online. Get your head out of the sand and dont be such a fanboi/troll.

Lol, yer funny. He's forced to consume resources.while playing, not while idling on pause while beating off or whatever he's doing.
Make a macro that pushes a button every 5 minutes to keep you in the game. If it was 30 mins NV would be gone anyway. You also have check points.
Totally with you OP! Annoying to lose all progression (because the way game/wp's are activated and saved is really strange). With a household to run, sometimes you gotta get up and don't make it back for a while.

Doing an act 2 run, there isn't a save point from Douglass oasis to desolate sands. I mean I think the computer tells me I reached one, but;

The other night we ran act 2, going through the stupid oasis water channels, make it to desolate sands, worked there for a bit, but didn't actually find any of koolies life bloods. (this was an hour of playing). When we came back the next day, we had to start at the entrance to the Oasis again; even though we had made it past the desolate sands wp. There are numerous places like this, where forward progression takes a HUGE jump backwards if you get disconnected or log out.
It absolutely has to do with bandwidth. There is a reason why most online games disconnect you after a certain period of inactivity. While bandwidth is definitely cheaper these days, the type of pipe large-connection online games need to use are still quite sizeable.

I'd say an OC-3 is the lowest setup needed and those run $15,000-$100,000 per month for a full version. Game companies aren't going to let you sit there and drain bandwidth. Overage means bumping up the contract into the next tier or paying per Mbps.
It has very little if nothing at all to do with bandwidth. The amount of bandwidth required to keep a connection open (keep-alive) is so small (60 bytes) that it's only noticeable if thousands upon thousands of players are doing it all at once. Besides that, the keep-alive signal is only sent every once in a while, determined by the network setup. If 100,000 players paused the game at once (unlikely) it would only use up 6,000,000 bytes or 6 MB of bandwidth every time a signal was sent to those 100,000 players to say "are you there?". That's probably less than the bandwidth one player uses for a single active game.

That being said, I have no idea what other data is transmitted back and forth between our client and Bnet while the game is paused, but I can't imagine it's anything significant. Chat would add a tiny bit, but if you were AFK then you wouldn't be chatting anyway.

More than likely it has to do with the number of open connections certain equipment can actually process, along with server resources.
90 Night Elf Warrior
This morning I logged on, browsed the AH for 3 minutes and got "Input limit reached" and was force disconnected. Awesome stuff.
I think i can understand the though process in it but a easy simple solution that would help everyone is just letting you pause the game. While it is paused it does not disconnect or count down your timers.

If you are just standing there unpaused then you get disconnected. I really would'nt even care if things like NV did'nt have timers. Makes it to where I force myself to ignore everything around me until i finish off my goal and restart a game. Be much better to pause do what needs to be done and come back.

Guess I dont understand the need for that.
So, you know you're going to get disconnected after a certain time period, yet you keep doing the same thing over and over.

But it's Blizzard's fault.
I Agree, I can not count the amount of times I paused the game so I could pick my wife up from the train station. Get back and lost all of my NV stacks :(

+1
So, you know you're going to get disconnected after a certain time period, yet you keep doing the same thing over and over.

But it's Blizzard's fault.

This post makes no sense. Who else is responsible for deliberately timing out single-player games after 30 minutes, if not Blizzard?

Have a look at this link:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/08/activision-beats-earnings-estimates-continues-record-breaking-year

Know where a lot of that money came from? From the $60 almost everyone in this thread paid for the game. You can't say they can't afford to *properly* support the online-only singleplayer Blactivision insisted on.

Based on that fact alone, there are many who would argue that the fact that Blactivision deliberately disconnects SP games AT ALL is a huge insult to its consumers. I'm not even going that far. All I'm asking for is a reasonable timeout that is kind to adults with lives, which makes up many of us here.

It is a REASONABLE request, almost ridiculously reasonable. And hot-fixable, if I am not mistaken. Are you listening, Blizzard?

Everyone who ever gets one of these deliberate timeouts should come and post in this thread. Once it hits 10 pages long, perhaps Blizzard will realize that insulting your faithful fans isn't good business practice.
100% in agreement. I was actually going to make a post about this today as well. I am also a player with RL responsibilities (wife/son) so I just play solo games because I often need to pause the game to run, and more often than not when I get back I see:

"You've been disconnected from the server"

I find this absolutely infuriating!
For those that don't understand, you obviously don't have family obligations. I was like you, in my good old days of gaming, where I was single and could go 12 hrs straight only taking breaks to pee and get more peanut butter, but now that I am a husband, dad, and work, my RL responsibilities (thank god) prevent me from OD'ing on peanut butter gaming sessions.

The main issue here is the 30 minute cap that Blizz has imposed on its players playing a SP game. We all pause the game when we leave so that our NV timers do not continue to count down, but after getting back in 15-30m and finding that you've been disconnected (when your internet is working perfectly fine), is really $hitty.

Blizzard needs to extend this to at the very least 60 minutes!
11/29/2012 05:01 AMPosted by Fizzmopper
The main issue here is the 30 minute cap that Blizz has imposed on its players playing a SP game. We all pause the game when we leave so that our NV timers do not continue to count down, but after getting back in 15-30m and finding that you've been disconnected (when your internet is working perfectly fine), is really $hitty.

By the way, this happened to me today with my game not paused. It was on a sub-level 60 char (no NV), so I didn't bother pausing the game before going afk like I usually do.

But, I still get deliberately disconnected from my single-player game.
Any blues out there have a comment about this?
My opinion: If Blizzard needs to kick people out of games when they go AFK, it should not be based solely on a hard time limit, but instead be based on actual server demand after a minimum idle time has elapsed. In other words, if the servers are nearing capacity, start kicking off the players with the longest idle times, but don't do it automatically the instant players hit the 30 minute mark. Then, during off-peak hours, players could potentially go AFK for over an hour without getting kicked from the game, simply because there aren't enough people connected at that time to necessitate kicking anyone.
+1 for op.
/agree with OP

I get a disconnect nearly everyday. I come home from work, start playing, then the wife gets home and we have family dinner. Boom, disconnect, start over >_>

That's just annoying as hell.

Same when the phone rings or someone is at the door.

Sometimes I go back to the PC, press some buttons and go back to what I was doing. And when the game disconnected me again despite my "effort", I just quit playing for that day.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]