Diablo® III

Blizzard, please stop deliberate disconnects.

(Locked)

Yes, I did. If you're going to be idle for an extended period of time, then you're going to be disconnected to free up resources for people who are actually playing. I don't see the problem there.
Yet you can see in the menus ALL DAY LONG for I believe up to 24 hours, before Blizzard will boot you from the server. Yet someone with a PAUSED game which is doing nothing except, sending packets to see if the internet connection is still alive. Someone AFK in the menus is doing nothing more then that. So really, what basis do you think kicking someone from a game will free up any more resources?

You seem to know more then people that seem to be at least 10 to 20 years older then you are and a few of them that seem to be IT professionals. So where do you get your experience with networks and server resources? I am very curious on your answer.
If you're waiting 30 min, you lose your NV stack so why does it matter if you're disconnected? You just need to log back in. Not exactly a huge time commitment.

Anyway, even Blizzard has limited resources. If enough characters are sitting in idle all the time, then they're just bogging down servers.

EDIT: If we had a non-online, solo mode, this wouldn't be an issue.

11/14/2012 06:40 AMPosted by ODDBALL
Stacks shouldn't even have a timer to begin with. What is the point of it?

The point is to force you to try to progress. If you are under a timer, you actively try to move forward to find more elites to kill or resplendent chests to open.
Edited by unaligned1#1956 on 12/3/2012 10:57 AM PST
11/19/2012 07:31 AMPosted by gaud
unfortunatly this could be abused buy ppl staying afk in areas that net them exp and item drops with incedental kills such as spider spawning towers in some of the dungions with high levels of thorns. though it is abused anyway in order to do it they have to use a bot or script wich could be potentialy caught and bannable where as a simple afk would never be bannable and therefor no way to stop players from abuseing it. also setting a afk time limit reduces server load alowing a better play experience for other players who are not actualy doing something else. for the most part u can resume games near where u left off the only thing u cannot save is nv stacks and haveing everyone constantly logged in so they can maintain stacks would be irritating on lag im sure. u use the arguement that u need to make supper for kids ect but let not pretend u wouldnt stay logged in all dam day when u went to work or away for the weekend jst so u wouldnt have to regain stacks.

Holy spelling mistakes for one, next is holy wall of text! Third and most of all important is, you did not get ANY of the point the OP or anyone else has been making. If you are AFK standing at a spawn point letting the game run, then you are not doing what the OP and other have been asking.

Here is the point young one. They are talking about hitting escape, which brings up the GAME MENU and thus pauses the game on a single player game. This usually means you are in town or in a place where you will not get attacked if you happen to need to un-pause the game. This also allows you to keep your NV stacks at full because the timer does not cound down while the game is paused.

So in the paragraph above, where does it talk about ABUSING (with out an e before the ing) the game, using a bot to play the game, OR doing something the game does not allow (Yes allow has 2 L's) us to do in the first place? Can you hit escape and pause your single player game? I know I can. Does that mean I am abusing some kind of feature??? No it means I am using a feature that Blizzard put in this game for single player games.

Please read the thread before talking about something that has nothing to do with the thread.
View profile
11/14/2012 07:22 AMPosted by Kaner
I think they boot you after extended periods of inactivity because the server doesn't have unlimited resources and bandwidth to keep space open for your paused game while you're up flogging your dog or whatever it is you need to do for a half-hour in the middle of a gaming session.

For some reason, that made me literally burst out laughing.

Made me laugh too, thanks.
it takes u 10 minutes to get 5 NV... then u decided u have a life and go afk for 2 hours in a game which u pause while being online.. after that u come back and expect that u still have the 5 NV while being ONLINE...

[snip]

and 1 final thing, most of the defensive action they took was against botting, go goggle it.. there are certain steps and waypoint in game thats prevent botting, although not totally but its an effort rather than u coming and whining abt ur game being STOP as a result of U!!

If you spoke the truth, and the timeout were in fact 2 hours, this entire thread wouldn't exist. Did you miss the countless complaints in this thread that the timer is only 30 minutes?

Also, please explain to me how deliberately disconnecting paused games helps to prevent botting. Last I heard, botters don't pause the game. Wouldn't that, you know, kind of, defeat the point of a bot?

On a related note, someone else talked about Blizzard rewarding botters and punishing real players. That's almost true, and it made me chuckle.
Normally I wouldn't go back and respond to something 8 hours after the fact, but hey, since you're so curious of my answer ...

12/03/2012 10:52 AMPosted by TheDoctor
Yet you can see in the menus ALL DAY LONG for I believe up to 24 hours, before Blizzard will boot you from the server. Yet someone with a PAUSED game which is doing nothing except, sending packets to see if the internet connection is still alive. Someone AFK in the menus is doing nothing more then that. So really, what basis do you think kicking someone from a game will free up any more resources?

The game data is all stored server side. If you are in a paused game, then you are consuming more resources than sitting in the auction house, or at the game menu, at least for single player. Why? Because one has an active game instance, and the other does not. That's on what basis I say it will free up resources.

You seem to know more then people that seem to be at least 10 to 20 years older then you are and a few of them that seem to be IT professionals. So where do you get your experience with networks and server resources? I am very curious on your answer.

You really shouldn't make such assumptions on forums. You have no idea how old I am, or what I do for a living. You'd hate to be completely wrong on your assumptions, wouldn't you?
U should even be thankful that they let u pause ur stupid game while u go take a smoke break...

Now if ur lame arguement is that u never wanted it to be online, READ BEFORE U BUY!!

Blizzard has gotten a lot of flak from players who think they are being overbearing in telling you how to play. Those who defend Blizzard's position usually take this position: "It's their game, not yours. They get to set the rules. Love it or gtfo." Perhaps you fall into that latter camp, perhaps not.

In any case, this is not merely about Blizzard "forcing you to play the game the way they want you to." Cutting your connection to your own single-player game after a very short timeout is intrusive at best; also rude and disrespectful in my opinion.

Also, I apologize for not being as good a player as you are, and not always being able to reach the next waypoint or build up five stacks of valor in "only 10 minutes" as you are able to do.

Finally, I did read up on Blizzard's decision to require an internet connection to play single-player. While I wasn't happy with it, I decided to take a leap of faith and give them my $60 anyhow, in the hopes of having a fun game to play for a while. Nowhere did I read that Blizzard will disconnect you from your own single-player game if you are idle for 30 minutes. Being a multi-tasker who tends to play games in small chunks of time inbetween doing other tasks, I would have noticed such a thing right away and stayed far away.

If I knew that Blizzard would disconnect me from my own single-player game after only 30 minutes of idling, my reaction would have been, "HOLY COW THAT'S DISRESPECTFUL." I certainly wouldn't have made a leap of faith, ignored the millions of naysayers, or paid them $60.
Edited by Gibbousmoon#1396 on 12/4/2012 9:01 PM PST
@Gibbousmoon

The crumble of respect is expanding.

" They cut you off to save resource " some claimed.

What happen to the money we paid them so they could set aside some money to have enough resource to keep players online?
Edited by Dutchmilk#6229 on 12/4/2012 10:32 PM PST
Seriously OP, give it up. You can keep calling it your own single player game all you want, but that doesn't change the fact that it's an online game. There is no reason you should expect to keep an idle connection open in an online game. They allow you 30 minutes as a courtesy. Disconnecting your idle sessions is not an insult, it's business and common sense.
first patch? darn that was expensive!
I agree totally. At least increase the disconnect timer. I have some dinner, put the kids to sleep, whatever, come back and boom I'm out!
I agree with you as well. Those who don't obviously don't have relationships with other people that they want to keep healthy. Being able to pause and get up at any time for any reason because my family needs me shouldn't be punished. I wouldn't be in a meaningful relationship for very long if I keep saying "Hang on, give me another hour or so to finish clearing this map and all the mini dungeons in it as well until I get to a checkpoint, then I'll come help you."

This is a single player game for goodness sake. Let us pause to take care of life! Having to re-clear an entire map all over again is a pita, and just makes me want to go play something else instead.
I agree with you as well. Those who don't obviously don't have relationships with other people that they want to keep healthy.

Nice assumption. It's equally possible that those who disagree simply understand that real life is more important than a game,
so they accept the game consequences when they choose life.

Being able to pause and get up at any time for any reason because my family needs me shouldn't be punished.

Valor is a reward for playing a certain way. Losing your stacks is not a punishment. Seems many people don't realize that not getting a reward is not the same as being punished.

I wouldn't be in a meaningful relationship for very long if I keep saying "Hang on, give me another hour or so to finish clearing this map and all the mini dungeons in it as well until I get to a checkpoint, then I'll come help you."

Who is suggesting you do that? I'm certainly not. All I'm saying is that if you can't handle the in game consequences of choosing life over game, then maybe you made the wrong choice

This is a single player game for goodness sake. Let us pause to take care of life! Having to re-clear an entire map all over again is a pita, and just makes me want to go play something else instead.

It's not a single player game. It's an online game that you can play alone or with others. Don't make it sound like Blizzard is going to your house and hitting ALT-F4. They are cancelling your game instance from their server when you aren't using it anymore. Perfectly reasonable.
Edited by Dralix#1318 on 12/5/2012 9:50 AM PST
After 30 minutes of inactivity, Blizzard deliberately disconnects the character from the server, making that character lose all progress in their single-player game.

Simple fix -- don't go afk. Blizzard d/c for going afk in WOW; so why not do the same in D3? Remember this isn't D2 where you need to perm mules. Think if you go afk on the telephone, who wouldn't hang up on you?
Edited by SilverFox#1996 on 12/5/2012 9:56 AM PST
They need to keep the resources free for all the new bots entering the servers.

Other than that i see no reason why the 30 min timeout is still in effect as there is less than 10% of the original users compared to release.
@Gibbousmoon

The crumble of respect is expanding.

" They cut you off to save resources " some claimed.

What happened to the money we paid them so they could set aside some money to have enough resources to keep players online?

A good portion of it went here: http://investor.activision.com/results.cfm

The rest of it should be more than enough to give a reasonable timeout of 60 minutes or more.

While most of the posters in this thread are supportive of the idea of a 60-minute timeout, there are one or two who seem vehemently against it.

This confuses me. It's already been established by many players (and probably many more who don't bother posting on the forums, which makes up the bulk of the "people with lives" on whose behalf I posted) that increasing the timeout from 30 minutes to 60 minutes would suddenly make the game playable for them; i.e., compatible with their lifestyles.

You "hardcore" players who have no need to go afk except to go to the toilet can come in and be snarky about our request. Perhaps you simply don't understand. (Or you are shills, or doing a very good job imitating a shill.)

What makes you think that increasing the timeout from 30 minutes to 60 minutes is going to HURT you? How does it damage your playing experience by forcing a player who has been away from their computer for 35 minutes (god forBID!) to log in again and replay the same sections again for 20 minutes and then, perhaps have to go afk for another 40 minutes (how terrible of them to do that to you!), and then have to for log in again and replay the same sections yet again?

I'm fighting to make the game playable for me. What are you fighting for? The TINY bit of server resources granted by kicking out a player 30 minutes earlier than what we think is reasonable?

Really? Really???

And if you are in fact a Blactivision shill, then consider those questions to be directed to them and not you.

@Blizzard: I know the chances of you admitting you made a mistake in this regard rapidly approach zero, so please feel free to hotfix this and not even announce it! You can save your pride and my Diablo game at the same time.
+1
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]