Diablo® III

False "video card is not supported" msg

BLIZZ! PLEASE STAHP!

Loading up D3 and ...oh, $#!%, here we go again...this error message appears on the screen:

We have detected that your video card is not supported by Diablo III.
Mac OSX 10.6.8, ATY Radeon X1900

Then the launcher opens my browser without asking permission, and then quits. SO I now have to wait for Firefox to load far enough so I can quit it - which takes several minutes with all the crap I usually have open - and then I have to restart the D3 launcher before I can load the game and actually play.

OKAY, ENOUGH ALREADY! This has been going on roughly 3 times a week for the last 5 months, and it's getting really annoying. Once, I could understand, but why keep doing it? After someone has logged on and played the game successfully, they do not need to see this message over and over and over and over again!

In the first place, at least get your facts right. This game plays just fine with this video card. Even as a pretty casual player, I've killed over 12,000 elites. If anything, my graphics quality in game is better than some PCs I've seen with cards that are officially supported.

In the second place, it is extremely unprofessional in this day and age to release software that still behaves in this kind of crude, user-hostile way. Good software from reputable companies does not slam the door in the user's face or open other major programs without asking permission. This is not 1990 and Blizzard is not a bunch of illiterate hackers throwing software together in a garage.

Please fix it.

[Accidentally posted to EU forums, so reposted here ... sorry for the duplicate.]
Edited by Stonebender#1935 on 10/27/2012 1:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Problem still not fixed.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I'm going to go with... working as intended.

Just because your video card works doesn't mean it's "supported". Supported means that they have tested it themselves, and guarantee that it will work.

I agree that it doesn't seem like particularly good behavior -- it should provide you with the option to acknowledge that your video card is not supported, and that it shouldn't prompt you in the future about it. And actually, that's probably what it's supposed to do, but due to a bug, Diablo 3 keeps forgetting its settings.

Also, this would be a client-side issue, and thus isn't going to be fixed without a patch. There's really no point in bringing up "Problem still not fixed." unless there was reason to believe that they had tried to fix it, such as a line in the patch notes.
Reply Quote
Jav, I don't care whether they "support" the card, I just want them to patch the loader so it lets people switch the reminder off and doesn't keep doing this endlessly. This is very sloppy programming and it is REALLY REALLY annoying.

As of today - 1.0.6.13300 -

( ... wait for it ...)

STILL NOT FIXED.

Hey, if they can be annoyingly repetitious, so can I, right? :)
Reply Quote
Jav, I don't care whether they "support" the card, I just want them to patch the loader so it lets people switch the reminder off and doesn't keep doing this endlessly. This is very sloppy programming and it is REALLY REALLY annoying.

As of today - 1.0.6.13300 -

( ... wait for it ...)

STILL NOT FIXED.

Hey, if they can be annoyingly repetitious, so can I, right? :)

No it isn't sloppy programming if the card in-fact doesn't support extensions that the game expects to use. This warning exists to warn you that you are trying to run this on hardware which isn't fully supported and could result in the game being unstable or not working properly. This could mean that the grahpics card drivers don't fully support what the game requires or the card is just too slow to be deemed acceptable for play.

Either way getting angry at blizzard because your hardware isn't very good doesn't legitimize anything.
Edited by DirkGently#1944 on 12/7/2012 3:12 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
....hit 'Escape'.
Play Diablo.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
The ATI X1900 doesn't support vertex shader 3 models on Mac OS X. The game requires vertex shader 3 to play properly.

Javrius & DirkGently are correct in reasons why this isn't supported.

I can send feedback up to the appropriate parties for review. I'll do that, but other than that, this technically isn't a tech support issue :/ Feedback about this is best placed in the General forums, as developers and etc can read that. They don't read CS/Tech forums that often.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
The ATI X1900 doesn't support vertex shader 3 models on Mac OS X. The game requires vertex shader 3 to play properly.

Javrius & DirkGently are correct in reasons why this isn't supported.

I can send feedback up to the appropriate parties for review. I'll do that, but other than that, this technically isn't a tech support issue :/ Feedback about this is best placed in the General forums, as developers and etc can read that. They don't read CS/Tech forums that often.

I noticed something very interesting regarding torches and unsupported GPUs/CPUs while messing around in gdb and OpenGL Profiler. Apparently torches make the game crash on supported cards, and it's quite possibly related to libfmodex.dylib and the sound file for the torches. There are also reports on the tech support forums for PC users and Mac users with supported cards crashing, with the crash logs full of stuff related to torches.
Reply Quote
@Dirk: Please work on your reading comprehension. This is not about the card. It's about having the loader quit, and then load a completely different program without asking permission. Not once, but roughly every 4th time you play the game. This is extremely bad practice. It violates all sorts of norms for good user interface design, not to mention common courtesy, and it's annoying as hell.

I've been writing software for a long time. I've earned multiple GAMA awards for game design. I know what I'm talking about. This is really bad design. It's arrogant, sloppy, unprofessional, and downright rude to the customer.

@Mach: Thanks for responding and for passing it on. So far it hasn't done any good, but we can hope it's now on someone's to-do list.

@Fibro: That's interesting about the torches, but as I said at the start, I don't have any problems with the card or the software. D3 runs fine with this card.

It's perfectly okay for Blizz to notify the user that the card isn't supported. It's what happens after that that is the problem.

@Blizz: It's 2013, and this still hasn't been fixed.
Reply Quote
Stonebender, my reading comprehension is just fine. If you notice I was quoting one specific post and addressing your comments from strictly that post. I did not address any comments made in your original post because I don't know how to respond to them. My suspicion is that you are clicking on something on the loaders, which has a lot of direct web content links on it as well as a large clickable area that will open as a web link.

As a matter of fact, it doesn't need to ask permission to open another application if you have allowed that application to handle that content type. You state that it opens firefox (I am assuming this is your default browser) and tries to load a page. This does not require user authentication as it is handling a known type to a trusted application.

You are angry about this, yeah I get that. I would be too if it happened to me, however I don't want to engage in an internet pissing contest over this. I never said that what you are experiencing isn't bad design. In-fact, if you do notice, I never brought up design anywhere in my post because I was strictly talking about your comments on the "video card not supported" error message and how that specific message was presented.

If you aren't satisfied with my response to your problem, then please contact me over twitter (@Dirk_Gently) or some other means where we can both get pissed off over bad design together. Otherwise please check the personal attack or ego at the door before making posts.
Reply Quote
Version 1.0.6.13644, new D3 loader from Blizz (2nd new one this week!), problem still not fixed.

You know, guys, this doesn't even require any coding. The absolute minimum thing you need to do to fix this problem is to just change the text, telling people to hit Return to go to the Blizzard website or hit Escape to ignore the warning and continue with the game.

It would still be MUCH better if you could allow the player to block the message entirely.

@Fibro: Thanks for the tip!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]